PDA

View Full Version : OT I'm going to miss The Tony Kornheiser Show

Southside_Pacer
03-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Listening to Tony's show in the morning was apart of my weekday routine. I arrive at IUPUI about an hour before my classes due to lack of parking, and I always sit in the car and listen to Mr. Tony.

He was so correct yesterday in saying that radio is the most personal form of media outlet. As he said most of the time when you listen to the radio you are alone, so the guy/gal doing the show has to have a personal connection with the listeners. Tony did this, and he kept it real. He kept me company each morning, and he really was a friend.

His listeners got to know who the real guy was. We know all the stories about his crazy dog, Maggie. The trials and tribulations of his 21 year old daughter. We got to know just how bad his golf game really is. He let us into his personal laugh and a lot of laughs were shared.

I liked how the show wasn't just about sports. He brought in the best people to talk about movies, politics, and pop culture aspects which make up the full circle of life. I'd also rather listen to a sports writer, the only guests Tony ever had, who will typically give more honest answers than an athlete saying the same PC, or "media correct" answers over and over and over again. As the commercials on ESPN Radio said, it was a show for those who actually read other parts of the paper.

Wherever Tony and his loyal sidekick, Andy Pollin, go, I'll listen with a radio close by. PTI is the best sports show on TV. Wilbon's great too.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/columnists/john_clay/8270428.htm

rabid
03-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Yeah, Tony's easily the best thing on AM radio. I try to catch at least part of the show 4-5 days a week. I wonder who'll be filling the slot.

Southside_Pacer
03-26-2004, 02:31 PM
On Monday "The Herd" will be filling Mr. Tony's spot. Some guy by the name of Colin Cowherd.

I think he's out of Portland. Other than that I really have no clue what he's like. I've never even heard of him.

Unclebuck
03-26-2004, 03:56 PM
I was sad today also. I will miss him. His stories were great.

it was just so much part of my routine, knowing who was going to be on when, and knowing when he would do his old guy radio and tell his stories.

His interviewing skills were excellent, even sports i did not care about he made interesting

Roy Munson
03-26-2004, 05:01 PM
On Monday "The Herd" will be filling Mr. Tony's spot. Some guy by the name of Colin Cowherd.

I think he's out of Portland. Other than that I really have no clue what he's like. I've never even heard of him.

Colin Cowherd has been doing a local morning sports talk show in Portland (910 KFAN) for several years (at least 5). He's a Washington State guy originally, and his favorite topic is college football recruiting (ugh!). I'm not kidding, he'd talk about that 5 days a week if they'd let him.

Before he worked in Portland he worked in Las Vegas. He likes to talk about Las Vegas.

He's been off the air here for about a month now. He moved to Connecticut where he's been practicing and setting up for his new show. Before he left he promised that his new show would be less about college football and more about national topics, and he also promised that he would NOT turn into a east coast biased, big-market biased network guy. We will see about that.

He did a fair share of NBA talk, but he didn't like the Blazers, and he hated Rasheed Wallace and Bonzo Wells, as did all media in Portland. I don't think he's much of a baseball guy, but he will be forced to become one since he's right in the middle of the Yankee-RedSox rivalry.

His personality is OK, but he whines a lot, and he think's he's Jerry Seinfeld. He write monologues each day that you can just picture Seinfeld delivering. Colin thinks he is a comedian, in fact I think for a while he was regularly appearing at one of the comedy places in Portland.

Kegboy
03-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Like everyone, I'll miss him too. Now, I know he kept saying he wouldn't say why he's leaving, but it really seemed like he was fed up with the management at ESPN radio. When he got suspended two years ago, I had just gotten my XM radio, and he wasn't on for over a month. I thought he really was just on "vacation", and I was so pissed that he'd take that long off. :laugh:

Switching topics a bit, does anyone listen to the SportsBrothers. Nobody locally will know who I'm talking about, cause they're not on 950, but maybe somebody else can answer this for me. What happened to Chris? All of a sudden it's SportsBash with Eric Kasilihoweveryouspelltheirlastname.

[edit]Another thing, does anybody know who the Head that Tony talked about hating so much is? He told the story about the point/counterpoint thing in ESPN The Mag, and of course I just threw out all my back issues, so I can't try and figure it out.

Unclebuck
03-26-2004, 09:44 PM
Canching topics a bit, does anyone listen to the SportsBrothers. Nobody locally will know who I'm talking about, cause they're not on 950, but maybe somebody else can answer this for me. What happened to Chris? All of a sudden it's SportsBash with Eric Kasilihoweveryouspelltheirlastname.

[edit]Another thing, does anybody know who the Head that Tony talked about hating so much is? He told the story about the point/counterpoint thing in ESPN The Mag, and of course I just threw out all my back issues, so I can't try and figure it out.

I was wondering what happended to the other brother. I think he is gone for good though, as they changed the name of the show. Thought the show was decent wqith the two brothers, not as good with just one. Although they seemed to both hate the NBA and have very little knowledge of it.

Stryder
03-27-2004, 11:53 PM
I, too, will miss the old, bald-head, orange man. His show was great and a staple of my day. I take lunch every day at 11 am (when his show started here in Indy). I'd listen everyday till 12 or 12:30.

Old Guy radio was awesome.

I loved the show. And I'll miss it.