PDA

View Full Version : A thought on the Pistons and how they match up against the Pacers

Ragnar
03-26-2004, 11:40 AM
I know there have been a lot of nashing of teeth and moaning about the Pistons in here but last night was a shining ray of hope for me.

Yes they will be tough but we are a lot like the Spurs. Remember how everyone was saying how similar we were to them. Remember how evenly matched we were with the Spurs. Well last night the Spurs took on the new look Pistons and won. Yes Ben Wallace was ejected but the game was already decided by then.

I think we can take them and I am a lot less worried about a playoff matchup against them than I was a couple of days ago.

ROCislandWarrior
03-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Here is how the spurs won:

The pistons can and will play hella defense

but

If you play hella defense right back, the pistons have trouble scoring

two teams that I believe can do this: the Spurs and the Pacers

NewYawk
03-26-2004, 11:55 AM

but

Agreed. The achilles heel of the Pistons has been, and will continue to be, their OFFENSE until they get a bonafide scorer. Rasheed Wallace was supposed to be this, but anyone with half a brain could tell any Piston fan that Rasheed Wallace is NOT a great scorer. The Pistons play excellent defense, but when they need a score against tough defensive teams, they fold. This is why I don't think the Wallace addition was a step up for the Pistons. Of course, we'll have to see. If Indy beats Detroit and swweps the reg season series 4-0, you can pretty much write off Detroit. If we were to face them in the playoffs, that 4-0 number will be in the back of their minds.

If Detroit was really interested in winning it all, they should do the following moves in the off season (because they ain't winning squat this year):

1) Do NOT resign Rasheed Wallace. Let him walk away.

2) Do everything in their power to sign Kobe Bryant. Give him whatever he wants.

Should those two things happen, hand them the trophy. Don't even bother with the reg season. It would just prolong the inevitible.

Unclebuck
03-26-2004, 12:41 PM

but

Could not agree more. That is exactly right. I watched that game last night carefully and that is how you beat the Pistons because you won't score a lot of points.

Suaveness
03-26-2004, 01:31 PM
One thing I am worried about though is that our defense is not as good as it was. Until the second half of the Mavs game, I really had not seen the defense play all that great. It worries me a bit, but I think that intensity will pick up late and when the playoffs start.

ROCislandWarrior
03-26-2004, 02:06 PM
I think that intensity will pick up late and when the playoffs start.

My thoughts exactly, the pistons are already playing with playoff intensity... We must match their intensity IF we meet them

but that is so far down the road...

ABADays
03-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Playoff intensity. Isn't that what has been said about the Pacers all year?

Kstat
03-26-2004, 02:42 PM
Yes Ben Wallace was ejected but the game was already decided by then.

So, down 7 with 5 minutes left was game over........ :unimpressed:

Rasheed Wallace was supposed to be this, but anyone with half a brain could tell any Piston fan that Rasheed Wallace is NOT a great scorer.

Rasheed Wallace: 17 points, 14 rebounds

Tim Duncan: 12 points, 13 rebounds

Oh yeah, Rasheed was a REEEAL dissapointment last night.... :rolleyes:

Since none of you seemed to watch the game, the difference was chauncey billups. During our winning streak he was a pure PG, getting everyone the ball where they needed it. The last 2 games he has been in a slump, and even chauncey admits this. Our scoring problems isnt due to a lack of scorers, its due to a lack of ball movement. We've got our next 6 games at home for Billups to work the bugs out. I'm not really worried about this. I said we'd go 9-2 in our last 11 games on Tuesday and i still stand by that. No shame in losing in San Antonio.

ChicagoJ
03-26-2004, 02:45 PM
I'm not really worried about this. I said we'd go 9-2 in our last 11 games on Tuesday and i still stand by that. No shame in losing in San Antonio.

True.

Ragnar
03-26-2004, 02:56 PM
So, down 7 with 5 minutes left was game over........ :unimpressed:

From where I was sitting yes the game was over. Of course Ben being ejected was certainly icing on the cake.

Since none of you seemed to watch the game, the difference was chauncey billups. During our winning streak he was a pure PG, getting everyone the ball where they needed it. The last 2 games he has been in a slump, and even chauncey admits this. Our scoring problems isnt due to a lack of scorers, its due to a lack of ball movement. We've got our next 6 games at home for Billups to work the bugs out. I'm not really worried about this. I said we'd go 9-2 in our last 11 games on Tuesday and i still stand by that. No shame in losing in San Antonio.

Uh I did watch the game and I would agree with you to a point. I agree that chauncy was acting like a shoot first pg. Guess what thats exactly what he is. He is not a traditional point never has been. Sure he plays one on TV from time to time but all you have to do is defend the passing lanes and he reverts back to shoot first pass second.

Kstat
03-26-2004, 03:18 PM
? The man only took SEVEN shots the whole game. Its his 5 turnovers and 3 assists I was referring to. You may have been wtaching the game, but you obviously weren't watching close enough.....

CHauncey's problem wasn't not running the offense, it was running it POORLY. I'm used to his 10+ assist, 1-turnover games he's been accumulating lately, but the last 2 games he's takena step back. I'm not saying he cant be that PG again, he just had a couple bad games where he mentally broke. Happens to everyone, no big deal. He just needs to get back on track, and we'll start scoring more points. We have enough WEAPONS now, we just need Billups to run the offense better.

Slick Pinkham
03-26-2004, 03:58 PM
If Detroit was really interested in winning it all, they should do the following moves in the off season (because they ain't winning squat this year):

1) Do NOT resign Rasheed Wallace. Let him walk away.

2) Do everything in their power to sign Kobe Bryant. Give him whatever he wants.

Should those two things happen, hand them the trophy. Don't even bother with the reg season. It would just prolong the inevitible.

Assuming a 44 million dollar cap, 7 players are paid 33.5 million next year.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/detroit.htm

Let's assume they have a full roster and sign at least 6 low-priced guys, say 5 million total (including draft picks). The Pistons would have less than 6 million to offer Kobe. He won't take less than 10 million, probably, and 12-14 is more realistic.

The Pistons would have to find somebody to eat the contacts of both Elden Campbell and Corliss Williamson to even get a sniff ay the Kobe sweepstakes.

It ain't happening, thankfully.

NewYawk
03-26-2004, 04:24 PM
[quote]

Rasheed Wallace: 17 points, 14 rebounds

I will spell this out in simple language for you: Rasheed Wallace is not a big time scorer. He is not someone who is going to provide consistent, prolific offesne to the Pistons woeful attack.

Now, I know you're a big fat Piston homer (which is totally cool), but even you must see that Wallace is not going to give you the kind of offense Jermine O'Neal gives the Pacers, Garnett gives the Wolves, Kidd gives the Nets... Duncan gives the Spurs.

Unclebuck
03-26-2004, 04:51 PM
I liked Kstat better two months ago when he had given up on the season.

:laugh:

unstandable
03-26-2004, 05:49 PM
Assuming a 44 million dollar cap, 7 players are paid 33.5 million next year.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/detroit.htm

Let's assume they have a full roster and sign at least 6 low-priced guys, say 5 million total (including draft picks). The Pistons would have less than 6 million to offer Kobe. He won't take less than 10 million, probably, and 12-14 is more realistic.

The Pistons would have to find somebody to eat the contacts of both Elden Campbell and Corliss Williamson to even get a sniff ay the Kobe sweepstakes.

It ain't happening, thankfully.

Those figures are off some. First, the latest salary cap estimate I've seen says it should be between $46 and $47 million.

Also, the Pistons will likely give Charlotte a draft pick and/or cash to get them to select Elden Campbell in the expansion draft.

So that would give Detroit around $15 million in cap space with draft picks taken into account (they won't spend $5 million on filling out their roster early in the offseason, instead they'll wait until after they've made their major signings and then use the veteran and minimum exceptions which let them go over the cap to sign guys).

That would be enough to go after Kobe, but I think they instead will try to keep Rasheed Wallace and/or Mehmet Okur.

ChicagoJ
03-26-2004, 06:15 PM
Okur would look nice in pinstripes. :cool:

Pig Nash
03-26-2004, 06:27 PM
Why would Steinbrenner sign a guy that will be overpaid because of all the hype? :p

ChicagoJ
03-26-2004, 06:42 PM
Why would Steinbrenner sign a guy that will be overpaid because of all the hype? :p

:P

:cool:

Suaveness
03-26-2004, 07:02 PM
Okur would look nice in pinstripes. :cool:

He would :devil:

King Mob
03-26-2004, 09:56 PM
Look at the numbers from the game:

DET / SAN
FGs 33-73 / 29-74
FG% 45.2% / 39.2%
3PTs 3-10 / 4-15
ASTs 24 / 18
STLs 11 / 7
BLKs 4 / 7
TOs 17(20pts)/ 15(13pts)

REBS 31(7off) / 43(14off)
FTs 6-13 / 22-29

The Pistons lost the game because they were beat on the boards, and because the refs called some absolutely crazy fouls last night. Ben got tossed because he went ballistic after Malik Rose held his arm when he was going up for a rebound, and the refs called it on Ben for clearing Rose out of the way. The Spurs won this at the line. I still can't believe all the crap calls.

Not to say that notion the Pistons can be contained with stellar defense is wrong, because it's not. Just saying that's not what won it for the Spurs last night.