PDA

View Full Version : Best John Madden quote .... EVER!

Pacersfan46
11-01-2005, 05:17 AM
Am I the only one who heard this last night? OMG I couldn't stop laughing.

"He takes it up the six-hole and then moves to the a-hole."

I can't believe he said it. I'm sure he meant "A-Gap" ... but that's not how it came out.

:laugh::laugh:

317Kim
11-01-2005, 06:03 AM
:rotflmao: :laugh:

ChicagoJ
11-01-2005, 11:41 AM
No. He said it exactly right, and it was one of his better comments of the night because is was an excellent description of that particular play.

By the way, "eight-hole" is what he said.

The six-hole is the gap between RT and RE. The eight-hole is the gap outside the RE.

That's elementary football coaching lingo.

BTW, here's a link to help you with what he was saying:

http://www.usafootball.com/coaching/coaches-guide/of_holes.php

Clearly, that's one instance where using the telestrator would've eliminated some confusion.

I'm still mad that he called us the best overall team in the AFC before kickoff, and said that Baltimore just couldn't match up with us - that was a sure sign we were going to struggle last night. And we did.

thought_criminal
11-01-2005, 11:55 AM
I thought it was A-gap, B-gap, C-gap, etc... etc...

RWB
11-01-2005, 11:57 AM
I'm still mad that he called us the best overall team in the AFC before kickoff,

Just shows the coach is getting old and senile. We know the Colts are the best right now, right Jay? ;)

ChicagoJ
11-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Just shows the coach is getting old and senile. We know the Colts are the best right now, right Jay? ;)

:flirt:

Right now? Absolutely.

In December/ January? I'll take my chances with the Steelers' combination of a hard-hitting defense that's nearly impossible to run against and a hard-hitting, ball-control running game.

RWB
11-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Too bad when the STeelers face Indy it will be in the dome. Damn you Bailey, Damn you to hell.

ChicagoJ
11-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Given our recent (lack of) success at hosting the AFC Championship Game under Cowher, and our home-field struggles this season, I'm looking forward to playing that game on the road this season.

RWB
11-01-2005, 12:15 PM
I posted it in another thread but what the heck it's worth repeating for a Pit fan. Met Bradshaw during Colts camp this summer. I swear the man is the most down to earth pro I've ever met. Just a really cool person to be around, but that guy has got to get rid of that chewing habit. You always hear it just takes a pinch, but jeez he'll stuff an entire package of Redman in the jaw.

ChicagoJ
11-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Back to the original "tangent" of this thread, "Gap" (e.g. "A-Gap") is usually defensive terminology, although its less universal. For a "23-Dive," you'd be talking about a RB hitting the "3 hole", while the RILB shoots the "A Gap" to stop them.

http://www.football.com/playbook/holes.shtml

In case you were wondering, the numbering system that Madden was using is ubiquitous with the names of offensive plays:

http://www.football.com/playbook/playnme.shtml

Pacersfan46
11-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Wow, I don't care if it's correct or not. Just say it outloud .... to yourself.

Sounds hilarious.