PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Mentioned JO's Comments About Carlisle During Mavs Game?

Bball
03-25-2004, 12:43 PM
Last night JO was interviewed during the game and said that Carlisle should be coach of the year. He also complimented the job he has done in bringing together the personalities on the team. "Helluva job...." I think were his words...

Are we past the point where that type of comment is no longer a 'big deal'? ...Or did I just miss the thread?

-Bball

rabid
03-25-2004, 12:47 PM
Well, J.O. also mentioned that we'd win the NBA finals and that he'd vote for himself for league MVP this year.

He's quite modest, you know ;) ...

I think J.O. is mature and intelligent enough to seperate his relationship with Rick from his issues with management and the firing of Isiah. He's been pretty consistent with that viewpoint all season, actually.

Of course, leave it to ESPN to ask standard, canned questions for any given situation (I hear they have notecards to help out) :unimpressed:

Bball
03-25-2004, 01:13 PM
Well, J.O. also mentioned that we'd win the NBA finals and that he'd vote for himself for league MVP this year.

I think J.O. is mature and intelligent enough to seperate his relationship with Rick from his issues with management and the firing of Isiah. He's been pretty consistent with that viewpoint all season, actually.

Of course, leave it to ESPN to ask standard, canned questions for any given situation (I hear they have notecards to help out) :unimpressed:

I thought his response regarding Carlisle was above and beyond what was needed for a canned comment. It sounded to me like he really liked Carlisle.... not just thought he was a good coach.

-Bball

ChicagoJ
03-25-2004, 01:15 PM

I was glad JO answered the MVP question the way he did - it was such a benign question but at least he had some fun with it.

Anyway, I got a nice chuckle out of it.

Southside_Pacer
03-25-2004, 01:29 PM
And also in the interview, he never mentioned the name Isiah Thomas once. All he did as talk about Carlisle, and the job that he's done this year.

JO really got a Carlisle for Coach of the Year campaign going.

ROCislandWarrior
03-25-2004, 01:34 PM
JO really got a Carlisle for Coach of the Year campaign going.

Where is this so called campaign???

All I hear is Terry Porter, Hubie Brown, Jerry Sloan

Southside_Pacer
03-25-2004, 01:43 PM
The announcers on the game last night said that Carlisle should be mentioned with those other names last night during the broadcast. Both were talking about how he's won at least 50 games in his first three season, and will probably win three straight division titles in his first three seasons.

Then JO said that Rick should be Coach of the Year for the job he's done.

NewYawk
03-25-2004, 02:24 PM

I thought his response regarding Carlisle was above and beyond what was needed for a canned comment. It sounded to me like he really liked Carlisle.... not just thought he was a good coach.

-Bball

He does really like Carlisle, and respects him as a coach. He respected him last year when he coached Detroit.

Side note: JO thought Isiah should have won COY last year as well.

ChicagoJ
03-25-2004, 02:34 PM

I'm trying to think of a polite way to ask this, but I can't, so excuse the rudeness... Did you pull that out of your butt or can you cite a source?

Unclebuck
03-25-2004, 04:09 PM
I also liked his comments about Al Harrington

NewYawk
03-25-2004, 04:42 PM

I'm trying to think of a polite way to ask this, but I can't, so excuse the rudeness... Did you pull that out of your butt or can you cite a source?

It's pretty universally known that JO felt Isiah was a good coach, and last year he was indeed local about Isiah receiving recognition. Isiah WAS a COY candidate prior to the Pacers having all those internal problems, and sliding after the All Star break. Again, I'm not sure any coach would have done better with everything that went on: JO's stepfather, Jamal's mother, Croshere father-in-all, Artest's antics, etc. Somehow, Isiah was blamed for these distractions, which is unfair.

I excuse the rudeness, but please understand that JO thought, and still thinks, Isiah can coach. So does Reggie, and Al, and Ron, and Carlisle, and even Larry Brown. Despite what people here desire, Isiah is a respected coach... like it or not.

Tim
03-25-2004, 05:48 PM
I also liked his comments about Al Harrington

I would like to point out that I did not coach, give canned response to, or paid JO to say those nice things about Al.

Honest I didn't, you all didn't see me. :D

ChicagoJ
03-26-2004, 11:58 AM

It's pretty universally known that JO felt Isiah was a good coach, and last year he was indeed local about Isiah receiving recognition. Isiah WAS a COY candidate prior to the Pacers having all those internal problems, and sliding after the All Star break. Again, I'm not sure any coach would have done better with everything that went on: JO's stepfather, Jamal's mother, Croshere father-in-all, Artest's antics, etc. Somehow, Isiah was blamed for these distractions, which is unfair.

I excuse the rudeness, but please understand that JO thought, and still thinks, Isiah can coach. So does Reggie, and Al, and Ron, and Carlisle, and even Larry Brown. Despite what people here desire, Isiah is a respected coach... like it or not.

I've got to stop responding to your comments on Isiah. I've really enjoyed this team (despite my worry-wart reputation) for the first time in four years.

:pepper:

I'll just say this, you can't (shouldn't) believe everything you read in the newspapers. There's more spin in the sports page than on the politics page.

Kegboy
03-26-2004, 12:33 PM
I'll just say this, you can't (shouldn't) believe everything you read in the newspapers. There's more spin in the sports page than on the politics page.

Yes, but just because you read something you don't agree with, it doesn't mean it's not true.

NewYawk
03-26-2004, 12:41 PM

Yes, but just because you read something you don't agree with, it doesn't mean it's not true.

Agreed.

Jay: I don't believe everythng I read in newspapers. However, JO, Carlisle, Reggie, Al, and Ron have all been QUOTED as saying Isiah is a good (and in many cases "great") coach. Now, some morons think this is still someone showing respect. Carlisle REALLY doesn't think Isiah's all that good. He's just pandering to JO, or just being a "nice guy", yadda smadda padda, yadda, yadda.

Complete crap.

I have to question these people's mind reading abilities :unimpressed: and simply point to what these people ACTUALLY SAID. I'm glad you're enjoying the team now Jay. I've enjoyed them for 15 years now... thick or thin, no matter who coaches them.

Bball
03-26-2004, 02:09 PM

In the case of Isiah's 'coaching' we don't have to look to the papers or others for a review of it. It was on display for 3 years.

-Bball

Ragnar
03-26-2004, 02:42 PM
I am not completly sure the players always know what a good coach is. Yes Jermaine liked Isiah because Isiah gave him more freedom.

But remember Reggie had enough of Larry Brown at one time and didnt think much of him as a coach. Would you say that it must be true then?

And as far as Reggie calling Isiah a good coach I think you must be making that part up. I seem to remember Reggie saying things like "I didnt sign on to coach", after the NJ series and he seemed pretty disgusted with Isiah. I know Brad didnt think Isiah was a good coach.

Just because Jermaine liked Isiah does not mean that Isiah is actually a good coach. Jermaine's only expericne with a head coach who started him was Isiah so of course he liked him. Or that Jermaine really knows what a good coach is (although he is learning this year)

Dont forget that when he was on a half time show with ESPN he said that had he known what he knows now he would stay with the Pacers (might that be that he figured out that Rick is a better coach than Isiah)

NewYawk
03-26-2004, 03:12 PM
I am not completly sure the players always know what a good coach is. Yes Jermaine liked Isiah because Isiah gave him more freedom.

Carlisle gives JO a lot of freedom as well, so I don't buy that statement. JO, like with Isiah, is the center of the offense and the defense. Isiah rode JO hard to get in shape, bulk up, and develop inside moves to the basket: the same thing Carlisle does. This myth that Isiah let JO do whatever he wanted is just that, a myth.

But remember Reggie had enough of Larry Brown at one time and didnt think much of him as a coach. Would you say that it must be true then?

Larry Brown did a terrible job coaching in 1997. He lost the team, and they quit on him. Now, just because Larry Brown did a bad job in 1997 doesn't mean Brown is a bad coach. Phil Jackson was terrible coaching the Lakers last year. They underacheived, lost a lot of games early with and without Shaq. Does that mean he's bad? No. Great coaches fock up often. Pat Riley is the best coach in basketball. Look at what years of losing did to him. Does that mean he stinks? If Phil Jackson leaves LA after this season, and Riley goes back to LA, do you honestly think the Lakers will really lose a step?

BTW: In the playoff series against the Sixers in 2001, Reggie called Larry Brown the best coach in the NBA.

And as far as Reggie calling Isiah a good coach I think you must be making that part up. I seem to remember Reggie saying things like "I didnt sign on to coach", after the NJ series and he seemed pretty disgusted with Isiah. I know Brad didnt think Isiah was a good coach.

When asked to comment about Thomas's firing (something Reggie NEVER comments on) he called Thomas a "great young coach." Maybe if you did a Lexus Nexus search, you'll find the quote. I think it was in September, but he did say it. I'm not making it up, and I take it as an insult for you to suggest that. I'm not making any of this up. I know it's hard for you to accept, but your favorite players DISAGREE WITH YOU. Deal with it.

Just because Jermaine liked Isiah does not mean that Isiah is actually a good coach. Jermaine's only expericne with a head coach who started him was Isiah so of course he liked him. Or that Jermaine really knows what a good coach is (although he is learning this year)

Dont forget that when he was on a half time show with ESPN he said that had he known what he knows now he would stay with the Pacers (might that be that he figured out that Rick is a better coach than Isiah)

Okay, you're reaching there. He stated he would have gone to SA if he'd known Zeke would be fired? Why? Because why deal with the uncertainty of a new coach when he has the option of working with the coach of the year: Pop. Listen, you'll get no argument from me as to who is a better coach. It's clearly Carlisle, who is one of the top 5 coaches in basketball, IMHO. However, we did not fire garbage to hire Carlisle. Thomas was a good coach. I have yet to see ANY argument intelligently summed up overwise that is not HIGLHY subjective. Many of these people thought Tim Floyd was a better coach than Thomas. "Nuff said.

NewYawk
03-26-2004, 03:17 PM

In the case of Isiah's 'coaching' we don't have to look to the papers or others for a review of it. It was on display for 3 years.

-Bball

131-115 overall record. 3 playoff appearances.

Average age of the teams he coached: 24.

For comparison: the average age of the Los Angeles Clippers roster is 24.5. What's been their record the last few years? For the Orlando Magic this year, it's 25 yrs old. What's there record this year? 19 wins?

Average age for the Lakers, Nets, Spurs, and Mavericks: 28.

Once again, thanks for playing BBall.

Slick Pinkham
03-26-2004, 03:29 PM
:rolleyes:

Ragnar
03-26-2004, 03:37 PM
Carlisle gives JO a lot of freedom as well, so I don't buy that statement. JO, like with Isiah, is the center of the offense and the defense. Isiah rode JO hard to get in shape, bulk up, and develop inside moves to the basket: the same thing Carlisle does. This myth that Isiah let JO do whatever he wanted is just that, a myth.

Rick does not give him anywhere near the freedom that Isiah gave him. Remember Jermaine saying "with Isiah he told me to just run the floor and be the first guy down and I would get a lot of baskets" He had the freedom to run and gun. If you think Rick just lets them do this then you must not have actually watched a single Pacers game this year.

Larry Brown did a terrible job coaching in 1997. He lost the team, and they quit on him. Now, just because Larry Brown did a bad job in 1997 doesn't mean Brown is a bad coach. Phil Jackson was terrible coaching the Lakers last year. They underacheived, lost a lot of games early with and without Shaq. Does that mean he's bad? No. Great coaches fock up often. Pat Riley is the best coach in basketball. Look at what years of losing did to him. Does that mean he stinks? If Phil Jackson leaves LA after this season, and Riley goes back to LA, do you honestly think the Lakers will really lose a step?

No I dont think the Lakers would lose a step and you are making my argument for me. Isiah did a **** poor job last year and that did not prevent Rick from corecting it. The differense is that Isiah does not have years of sucessfull coaching to back him up. He has three years in the weakest confrence ever where he was the 8th seed twice and the third once with a first round exit each year.

BTW: In the playoff series against the Sixers in 2001, Reggie called Larry Brown the best coach in the NBA.

Again my point was that maybe the players dont always know good coaching. Larry is a good coach but Reggie had tuned him out. Jeez did you even read my post. I didnt say Reggie think Larry sucks now I said "Reggie had enough of Larry Brown at one time and didnt think much of him as a coach." notice the at one time?????

When asked to comment about Thomas's firing (something Reggie NEVER comments on) he called Thomas a "great young coach." Maybe if you did a Lexus Nexus search, you'll find the quote. I think it was in September, but he did say it. I'm not making it up, and I take it as an insult for you to suggest that. I'm not making any of this up. I know it's hard for you to accept, but your favorite players DISAGREE WITH YOU. Deal with it.

Hehe you think Reggie calling him a great YOUNG coach means he thought Isiah was a great coach? To me along with a lot of other things Reggie said and did makes me think that Reggie was being polite.

Okay, you're reaching there. He stated he would have gone to SA if he'd known Zeke would be fired? Why? Because why deal with the uncertainty of a new coach when he has the option of working with the coach of the year: Pop. Listen, you'll get no argument from me as to who is a better coach. It's clearly Carlisle, who is one of the top 5 coaches in basketball, IMHO. However, we did not fire garbage to hire Carlisle. Thomas was a good coach. I have yet to see ANY argument intelligently summed up overwise that is not HIGLHY subjective. Many of these people thought Tim Floyd was a better coach than Thomas. "Nuff said.

Yes he did say that at first. If you would have been paying attention, I said that in an interview he said NOW he would make the choice to stay. He said it and as you say deal with it.

NewYawk
03-26-2004, 03:40 PM

Typical.

Why don't you put up another poll? It might make you feel better about yourself.

:disturbed:

Ragnar
03-26-2004, 03:42 PM

Typical.

Why don't you put up another poll? It might make you feel better about yourself.

How do you even know who he was rolling his eyes at?

NewYawk
03-26-2004, 03:45 PM

Typical.

How do you even know who he was rolling his eyes at?

He's rolling them at me. I'm certain. I'm still reading your response which, unlike Tom, is thoughtful. I'll try and respond by the end of the day.

Slick Pinkham
03-26-2004, 03:56 PM
I'm rolling my eyes about how someone can blabber the same tiresome BS all the time, Johnny one note, and has then has audacity to say condecending things like "Once again, thanks for playing BBall."

Bball
03-26-2004, 04:06 PM

-Bball

For comparison: the average age of the Los Angeles Clippers roster is 24.5. What's been their record the last few years? For the Orlando Magic this year, it's 25 yrs old. What's there record this year? 19 wins?

Barely made playoffs in weak Eastern conference in first two years. Lost in first round in each of 3 years. Was coach during one of the worst team collapses in recent memory. Backed into playoffs in 3rd year with a team in disarray. Team chemistry was falling apart at the seams. Easily beaten by an inferior Celtics team who themselves were dismantled in the second round.

As for the reference to age- Please look at how long this group has been together and in the NBA as well. Also please note the veteran presence on this team as compared to the others you mentioned.

Thanks for playing NY...

-Bball

EDIT: I shouldn't have replied but the "Once again, thanks for playing BBall" pi$$ed me off...

NewYawk
03-26-2004, 04:19 PM
I'm rolling my eyes about how someone can blabber the same tiresome BS all the time, Johnny one note, and has then has audacity to say condecending things like "Once again, thanks for playing BBall."

BBall's initial post was vague and spiteful. He, much like yourself, focuses solely on what he WANTS to see, and not the overall picture. His reasoning always goes soemthing like this:

Coaching a team full of 24 year olds led by an aging SG had NOTHING to do with the Pacer's overall record the last 3 years.

It was Thomas's fault.

JO's father's attempted suicide, Tinsely's mother dying, Croshere's step father dying, Artest's antics all had NOTHING to do with the Pacer's second half collapse, and the playoff loss.

It was Thomas.

That's crap. A winning record with a bunch of kids when other teams in similar situations, with similar VETERAN leadership (see Orlando's McGrady and LA's Brand) can't get 25 wins is STILL not enough to convince you that Thomas was good.

Like trying to pry open a dead gator's jaws.

:banghead:

Ragnar
03-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Of course L.A. plays in the west and Orlando only has T-Mac and they made a pretty deep run last year.

ChicagoJ
03-26-2004, 04:25 PM

-Bball

Barely made playoffs in weak Eastern conference in first two years. Lost in first round in each of 3 years. Was coach during one of the worst team collapses in recent memory. Backed into playoffs in 3rd year with a team in disarray. Team chemistry was falling apart at the seams. Easily beaten by an inferior Celtics team who themselves were dismantled in the second round.

As for the reference to age- Please look at how long this group has been together and in the NBA as well. Also please note the veteran presence on this team as compared to the others you mentioned.

Thanks for playing NY...

-Bball

EDIT: I shouldn't have replied but the "Once again, thanks for playing BBall" pi$$ed me off...

I keep typing up responses, and then deleting them.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

<Sounds of Jay walking away from all further discussions of Isiah's inept coaching.>

bball was right. It was patently obvious to most (but sadly not all) game observers that Isiah couldn't coach. And I look at the barely-over-0.500 record and playoff futility as further proof of that failure, not a measure of success.

Next thing you know, someone's going to be arguing that a student with straight C's and D's really belongs on the honor roll.

<Couldn't resist shouting from the door.>

Slick Pinkham
03-26-2004, 04:28 PM
A winning record with a bunch of kids when other teams in similar situations, with similar VETERAN leadership (see Orlando's McGrady and LA's Brand) can't get 25 wins is STILL not enough to convince you that Thomas was good.

Now you're coming around.

Pop in a VHS tape of the Boston series. I don't think any tragedies were occurring at that point, other than on the court. Maybe that series cost him votes for "coach of the year". Oh wait, the voting was already over with the regular season. He finished tied in the coach of the year voting with you, the pacemates, and most of the people on the planet with precisely zero votes.

I firmly believe that if Isiah were coaching this team, this year, even with maturing players, we'd be shooting for 45 wins, not 60.

Slick Pinkham
03-26-2004, 04:32 PM
I keep typing up responses, and then deleting them.

Me too. That why I thought :rolleyes: summed it up best.

Other contenders:

:crazy: :disturbed: :alcohol: :omg: :shakehead: :jawdrop: and even :rotflmao:

Bball
03-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Let me just say to anyone who is following along that I didn't intend to be 'vague or spiteful' in my 'initial post'.

I also want to make sure it is known that I don't care if anyone thought Isiah was a good coach, a poor coach, a figurehead coach, or an alien pretending to be a coach while he plotted the takeover of the world. My only issue is when someone picks out one of those things and refuses to ackowledge that there is any debate or reason to think otherwise.

I am now following Jay out the door....

-Bball

MagicRat
03-26-2004, 04:47 PM
What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

NewYawk:"Shut your mouth about my Lucille, errr, Isiah!"

Still shakin' it, boss.....