PDA

View Full Version : OT: So, what's the word on Mike Davis??

indygeezer
03-25-2004, 01:10 PM
Jumping ship or not?

I'll admit to not being a fan of his. HIs whinning about his paycheck and comments about being an NBA coach just rubbed me the wrong way. But I give him the credit for having the nerve to step into a slot vacated by a legend. That ain't an easy task.

:pepper: Oh BTW watch out for the Uni of Michigan Wolverines next year :dance:

the Bulldogs, 'Hounds, and Trees too. :rockon:

Slick Pinkham
03-25-2004, 01:22 PM
apparently Davis is going to announce today that he plans to stay at IU and has no interest in interviewing at Auburn.

an upgrade would have been nice

sixthman
03-25-2004, 02:04 PM

the Bulldogs, 'Hounds, and Trees too. :rockon:

I'd like the Wolverines to have another year just like the one recently finished. Maybe, even a little less productive. :pepper:

Ditto, on the Bulldogs and Trees. I've never gotten into the Hounds.

Bball
03-25-2004, 02:22 PM
apparently Davis is going to announce today that he plans to stay at IU and has no interest in interviewing at Auburn.

an upgrade would have been nice

:(
I believe the Auburn job would've been a good move for all parties. Less pressure on Davis and would let IU get past "the man who followed Knight".

That is almost an impossible situation.

That said... except for this year he has had the team performing admirably.

-Bball

Southside_Pacer
03-25-2004, 02:28 PM
Davis more than likely is gone within two years anyways. Alumni as a whole don't like him, donations to a financially strapped athletic department are happening because they don't like him, we've yet to get more big men in here even though he promises as such, we had the first losing season in over a generation, lost four home games in a row for the first time in over 15 years, are 27-28 since his breakdown against Kentucky.

Josh Smith will never come to Bloomington, Hardy might not be playing due to grades, etc etc.

The thought that he toyed with the Auburn job probably pissed more people off towards him, although I will not hold that against him at all since I wanted him to leave.

He's a real nice guy.........just not a good coach.

Stryder
03-25-2004, 02:37 PM

Hell yeah.

Go BLUE!

Hail to the victors! :king:

Southside_Pacer
03-25-2004, 02:40 PM
How am I making things up? He's probably thought about it. Auburn came out and said he was on their list. So if he's on somebody's list and he knows it, odds are he's going to think about it and decide to either persue it, or say I'm staying. By doing either you're thinking about.

The fact that he didn't say no I don't want this from the beginning, leads me to believe that he did think about it. I'm not holding it against him at all since he has every right to think about what's best for he and his family.

I don't hate the man at all. He's a very nice person. He's just not a very good coach.

Bball
03-25-2004, 02:41 PM
Davis more than likely is gone within two years anyways. Alumni as a whole don't like him, donations to a financially strapped athletic department are happening because they don't like him, we've yet to get more big men in here even though he promises as such, we had the first losing season in over a generation, lost four home games in a row for the first time in over 15 years, are 27-28 since his breakdown against Kentucky.

Josh Smith will never come to Bloomington, Hardy might not be playing due to grades, etc etc.

The thought that he toyed with the Auburn job probably pissed more people off towards him, although I will not hold that against him at all since I wanted him to leave.

He's a real nice guy.........just not a good coach.

In his defense... I'm not sure it can be said he toyed with the Auburn job. Auburn never asked for permission to speak with Davis altho Auburn has now stated he is a top candidate for the job and they'd like to interview him. So until they said that there wasn't much he could say other than what he said. The ball is now in his court and unless he drags it out from this point then I won't say he is toying with the idea of taking the Auburn gig.

That said, I pretty much agree with your analysis.

I just think he is in an impossible position to move this team forward. It is not all his fault either. He backed into the job but certainly ran with it for a while. But being the guy that followed Knight has to be tough on a lot of fronts. I can't imagine recruits and recruiters not being able to use that against him "Davis won't be there long. He is the man that followed Knight and not someone that was handpicked either"

Auburn would've allowed him to take a job that he was wanted for all along. A job he would be offered by more than default.

I just see it as good for everybody.

-Bball

MagicRat
03-25-2004, 02:45 PM
So if IU said they wanted Bob Higgins to replace Davis, then Higgins would have been "toying with the idea of leaving"? Hardly.

I'm not sure which Bob Higgins you're talking about? :whoknows:

http://www.hi-peak.com/images/photos/higgins.jpg

http://www.liu.edu/but01/new/special/75th/honorees/images/bob_higgins.jpg

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~mjhiggins/bob-higgins-pennstateallamerican1955.jpg

http://www.xlvideo.com/xl-touring/graphics/higgins.jpg

http://www.vintagecardtraders.org/virtual/t207/t207-081.jpg

http://www.baldwinincubator.com/images/bobhigginsphoto.jpg

http://www.hereshopechurch.org/images/Bob%20Higgins_small.JPG

Southside_Pacer
03-25-2004, 02:46 PM
I never said once that I'm holding the Auburn situation against Davis. Go back and read what I wrote. However, there will be people that do. If you don't believe me check out the free basketball board at Peegs. :unimpressed:

Being at Auburn would allow him to be closer to home, recruit in an area he's strong in, not have as strong as expectations or pressure from alumni to win and win big, and Auburn has the money to be able to pay him.

Southside_Pacer
03-25-2004, 02:48 PM
And wouldn't Auburn be the ones that get to really mess with the contract and the buying out of it? If IU fired him, then that's where it'd get messy with the dollars aspect.

Bball
03-25-2004, 03:13 PM
And wouldn't Auburn be the ones that get to really mess with the contract and the buying out of it? If IU fired him, then that's where it'd get messy with the dollars aspect.

You are correct... it would be Auburn's problem.

-Bball

Bball
03-25-2004, 03:23 PM

The only circumstance that makes sense for Davis is if Aubrun offered mroe money over a longer period of time. Otherwise, he's got a bunch of money coming in for several years from IU.

Overall you are correct tho there are some background things he might consider. I don't know how happy he really is at IU for one thing. He might feel more secure at Auburn. The odds might be his job is more secure at Auburn.

Walking away from guaranteed money is hard but if you roll the dice on taking what you feel is a better situation then it is more understandable. He might make more longer term.... or extend his career.

And we don't even know that it would be less money.

Plus, if the writing on the wall says his days are numbered here then he might want to consider what being fired from IU would mean to his next job. Having a job that wants you as opposed to hanging onto a job that is marking your days on the calendar could also be a factor.

But... it all comes back to money and the balance with factors like those I mentioned above.

I assume if Auburn really wants him they have to know the same things and would know ballpark what they assume he would cost them.

And ego is a factor here too.... Davis may want the chance to show that this past season was the fluke... not the natl title game.

-Bball

Southside_Pacer
03-25-2004, 03:29 PM
I agree with you bball. I really do think he'd be a heck of a lot more secure at Auburn mainly because nobody really cares about Auburn basketball, just like nobody cares about IU football.

IU football fans probably wouldn't mind having Tubberville's record, yet Auburn wants him canned. I would think that Auburn has the money to buy it out. They're also openly admitting that they want to hire a minority candidate. I still say that he did give the possibility of returning to the state of Alabama some thought and consideration. How could he not?

I'm going to predict that in less than three years Davis probably will not be at Indiana. There's just no way that he'll finish out the contract that he has unless things majorly change in the way the team wins.

I don't think people were so much pissed about the wins/losses this past season as they were with how the team played, and the way they looked in certain situations.