PDA

View Full Version : OT Gene Keady Era Over?

Southside_Pacer
03-25-2004, 02:10 AM
At Peegs, and GBI, there's a thread with reliable posters from both schools saying that Gene Keady will be the next head basketball coach at San Francisco. Word of this is supposed to happen tomorrow afternoon so we'll find out soon enough if this is legit.

I think Peegs knows something if he's bold enough to post it at GBI so I'm not passing it off as just another rumor.

http://purdue.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=52&mid=33205728&sid=&tid=33205728&style=1

Shade
03-25-2004, 11:05 AM
Interesting. I though Keady might retire, but not leave to coach another school.

Kegboy
03-25-2004, 12:20 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I seem to remember hearing this exact same rumor more than once over the years, the same school and everything.

Graywolf_59
03-25-2004, 01:44 PM
I won't believe Keady is leaving Purdue until I hear him say it.....He's getting close to retirement time tho....If he does leave Purdue..who's being named as his replacement?I heard awhile back that Steve Lavin is interested in the Purdue job when Gene retires? :o

Slick Pinkham
03-25-2004, 02:20 PM
espn has a story on it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1767983

Southside_Pacer
03-25-2004, 02:21 PM
On ESPN 950 they're saying Keady is having a meeting with his players today....

sixthman
03-25-2004, 02:33 PM
If Keady leaves Purdue, the Boilermakers would likely move quickly to hire one of three candidates -- former UCLA coach Steve Lavin, who works for ESPN as an analyst; Southern Illinois coach Matt Painter, a former Purdue player; and Purdue assistant Cuonzo Martin. If Lavin is hired, Martin would likely be his top assistant.

If Keady leaves, I think Purdue might do better than one of those three.

I think Lavin is a mistake.

Matt Painter is way too short into his career to evaluate the kind of coach he will be: he inherited the team this year and faded at season's end.

Cuonzo has been on staff. Can he recruit? Can he coach?

What about assistant Mike Price at Illinois? Has Purdue ties, sounds great on the radio and apparently does recruiting for his boss.

This one will probably surprise you. But if I were an athletic director one of the first people I would check out would be the Pacers Mike Brown.

He is young, energetic and, obviously, a talented teacher. Excels in teaching defense, something that a good college program needs to be successful.

I would have to think he would be an outstanding recruiter with his energy, personality, and NBA connections.

He might be holding out for an NBA head coaching job which he seems ordained to get. But, if I were Purdue, I'd see if interviewing him was a possibility.

Southside_Pacer
03-25-2004, 02:50 PM
Perhaps Purdue would go after Kevin Stallings from Vanderbilt. Stallings' name will probably come up in regards to the probable Purdue opening.

indygeezer
03-25-2004, 03:00 PM
Well I've never been a real big fan of the Neanderthalman but IMO the wrong coach would be leaving the State of Indiana.

Maybe he just wants to be closer to Brad Miller.

<EDIT> I wonder how ARKMAN will take this news???

kerosene
03-25-2004, 04:16 PM
I thought the title was Gene Keady Comb Over :blush:

I figured he'd end up retiring not taking a position elsewhere.

Kegboy
03-25-2004, 04:37 PM
http://www.boilerstation.com/hoops/stories/200403250purdue_hoops1080243934.shtml

San Fran has confirmed he's interviewed. Note, the reason why I've heard this before is cause Keady's good friends with their AD.

Personally, I see this as Gene forcing Burke's hand. Either give him an extention, or he's gone, no more hemming and hawing. Burke needs to tread lightly; Keady may not be too popular with the younger set, but the alums would crucify Burke for letting him go.

Bball
03-25-2004, 04:46 PM
http://www.boilerstation.com/hoops/stories/200403250purdue_hoops1080243934.shtml

San Fran has confirmed he's interviewed. Note, the reason why I've heard this before is cause Keady's good friends with their AD.

Personally, I see this as Gene forcing Burke's hand. Either give him an extention, or he's gone, no more hemming and hawing. Burke needs to tread lightly; Keady may not be too popular with the younger set, but the alums would crucify Burke for letting him go.

Kegboy,
I think you are onto something there.

-Bball

"Purdue basketball- It will comb you over!"

sixthman
03-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Perhaps Purdue would go after Kevin Stallings from Vanderbilt. Stallings' name will probably come up in regards to the probable Purdue opening.

If Keady is gone, no doubt, if Kevin Stallings will listen, Purdue will want to pitch him. He's a Purdue guy with experience and is enjoying success this season.

Two non-Purdue guys whose names are already being mentioned are Thad Motta, formerly of Butler, now of Xavier. Thad recruits well in Indiana and grew up in Hoopston, Ill., not far from West Lafayette.

IUPUI's Ron Hunter is also getting some love and deservedly so. Hunter has taken his team from zero to respectability in a very tough recruiting situation. Hunter is popular in the Indianapolis area with the media and basketball establishment and evidently the guy can coach.

Both Hunter and Motta are young guys and the Boilers could do worse.

sixthman
03-25-2004, 08:05 PM

Yep. Here's the reply back from Morgan Burke at 7:00 P.M.

Statement by Morgan Burke about Gene Keady and the situation. Burke sounds a little upset.

Burke: Coach free to pursue San Francisco opportunity

March 25, 2004

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Following is a statement by Morgan Burke, director of intercollegiate athletics:

"The University of San Francisco sought and was granted permission to talk with Gene Keady about the men's basketball coaching vacancy at that institution. Coach Keady interviewed at San Francisco this week.

"The contact from San Francisco happened before Coach Keady and I had a chance to talk in detail about the future, but we will not stand in his way if he wants to pursue this opportunity.

"That said, Gene knows that we are committed to him through the final year of his contract.

"When we know more, we will make that public."

Southside_Pacer
03-26-2004, 01:29 AM
Coach Hunter better not leave my IUPUI Jaguars. Mike Davis Jr. might be playing for IUPUI next season.

I'd say the shortlist (in no particular order) is:
Painter
Lavin
Matta
Stallings
Martin

DisplacedKnick
03-26-2004, 12:24 PM

Yep. Here's the reply back from Morgan Burke at 7:00 P.M.

Statement by Morgan Burke about Gene Keady and the situation. Burke sounds a little upset.

Burke: Coach free to pursue San Francisco opportunity

March 25, 2004

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Following is a statement by Morgan Burke, director of intercollegiate athletics:

"The University of San Francisco sought and was granted permission to talk with Gene Keady about the men's basketball coaching vacancy at that institution. Coach Keady interviewed at San Francisco this week.

"The contact from San Francisco happened before Coach Keady and I had a chance to talk in detail about the future, but we will not stand in his way if he wants to pursue this opportunity.

"That said, Gene knows that we are committed to him through the final year of his contract.

"When we know more, we will make that public."

Burke's probably PO'd because if Gene had done this a year earlier he could've gotten Bruce Weber.

Motta is first on my short list. Be nice to get a coach in who can recruit - who's the last top-flight player Keady's gotten in? (And who didn't leave within a year or two).

Southside_Pacer
03-26-2004, 12:27 PM
Now they're reporting on ESPN Radio that no decision will come this week, and it looks like something might happen either way next week.

All I can wonder is if Gene is using the San Francisco opening to lobby for an extension past this one year at Purdue.

indygeezer
03-26-2004, 12:32 PM
He learned that from Bob Knight (Uni of New Mexico, remember?)

Southside_Pacer
03-26-2004, 11:52 PM
You seem bitter PacerMan. Banned from the site? Looper? :o