PDA

View Full Version : Do the Pacers Realistically Have a Shot at the Championship This Year?

Millerartest
03-24-2004, 11:58 PM
I think everyone would agree that the Pacers have a chance to win the East. But do the Pacers really have a chance to win it all?

I think this playoff season will tell a great deal about this team because things are finally starting to come together. Tinsley is a capable PG. Foster is a capable C. Oneal and Artest are all-stars, and Reggie can still be explosive. With Bender, Harrington, Jones, Croshere on the bench, they are potentially explosive. And Carlisle does well, as does his coaching staff.

I still worry about the youth of this team, and about the playoff experience outside of Reggie. Teams like the Kings and Lakers have been there plenty of times and know what it takes all the way around. Having the best record, and being hot doesn't mean that they are actually capable of competing for the championship. I sincerely hope that they can get there, but I think it's likely that if they do, they'll be in for an awakening.

The Pacers and Pistons are already proving that East is slowly catching up, and that the West's days are numbered. What I hope, is that after this playoff run, the franchise will consider making the right moves to catapult them to the championship level, which would mean dropping a couple of the young guys for seasoned players in their prime. The Pistons pickup of Rasheed Wallace shows what a good move can do. And I think that in the ECF, after it's all said and done, the Pacers will realize that they need a little more, and that they should take it will one the greatest clutch and three point shooters is wearing a Pacers jersey.

With that said, I think they have a chance, and I would be ecstatic if they made it to the finals. And as I believe in miracles, of course if they got there, with home court advantage, I have to believe they would have a chance.

Suaveness
03-25-2004, 12:02 AM
I don't really want to talk about the Finals just yet, since they have not proved that we can get out of the first round. Once that happens, lets take one game at a time. Like they are doing.

And i do not think we need anyone else to win. We have all the pieces here.

Anthem
03-25-2004, 12:40 AM
The two teams I'd like to meet the least are the Pistons and the Lakers.

To win a championship, we'd have to go through both of them, which is as it should be.

Ask me in two months. :devil:

Bball
03-25-2004, 12:41 AM
I don't really want to talk about the Finals just yet, since they have not proved that we can get out of the first round. Once that happens, lets take one game at a time. Like they are doing.

And i do not think we need anyone else to win. We have all the pieces here.

Actually... I think we'd need to consider why we lost- IF we lost- and base any player moves on that. Also, you have to see what is out there. Who knows what someone would offer and then you have to look at what that would do to the team.

We also need to keep an eye on the rearview mirror to see who is after us and what they are doing... even if we do go deep into playoffs.

-Bball