PDA

View Full Version : Injured Foster likely to miss Pacers' season start again

Frank Slade
10-24-2005, 06:12 PM
Injured Foster likely to miss Pacers' season start again

By STEVE HERMAN, AP Sports Writer
October 24, 2005

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indiana Pacers center Jeff Foster likely will miss the start of the season for the second straight year, this time because of a sore Achilles' tendon.

The 6-foot-11 Foster missed the first 17 games last season after offseason hip surgery.

``It's definitely frustrating sitting and watching,'' Foster said Monday. ``I want to be part of the team.

``But we're a very deep team. After what I went through last year, I've come to realize there's no reason for me to be injured for any portion of this year beyond getting healthy here in the beginning.''

Two years ago, Foster, a six-year veteran, was the only Pacers player to appear in every game. But last year, his bad hip and then back spasms that kept him out of another four games later in the season limited him to 61 games.

Still, he started 43 games and averaged career highs of 7.0 points and 9.0 rebounds, and his 14 games with double-figure scoring and rebounding were second only to Jermaine O'Neal's 17 double-doubles.

Foster's practices have been limited so far this preseason, and of the rash of injuries that have hit Indiana's big men, his appears to be the worst.

``I really don't know yet,'' Foster said of his projected return. ``It's kind of still to be determined. ... I really haven't been doing too much (in practice), so I couldn't tell you. I've been kind of taking it easy, trying to get healthy, trying not to be injured this year like last year.''

O'Neal, meanwhile, has played in only one of Indiana's four preseason games because of a bruise to his right thigh. He returned to the lineup in Saturday's victory over Minnesota, but he's not sure whether he'll be playing at forward or center because of the uncertainty surrounding Foster and reserves Scot Pollard, who is out with a strained left calf, and David Harrison, who is sidelined by an abdominal strain.

``The injuries are disappointing, but I'm not dismayed about it because we don't have anything that's really severe, and guys are getting better,'' Indiana coach Rick Carlisle said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-pacers-foster&prov=ap&type=lgns

317Kim
10-24-2005, 06:15 PM
Aw man...This really is disappointing. Hulk and or Scot need to get better soon. but I do like the match-up problems JO causes.

SoupIsGood
10-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Well.... one positive is more time for Hulk, Danny, and maybe even JB...... but getter better Jeff.

Harmonica
10-24-2005, 06:19 PM
You know, it's the second-half of the season that really matters, so I'm not going to get too concerned about injuries right now. My bigger concern is if any of these guys, especially JO and our centers can stay healthy going into the playoffs or throughout a tough series.

indygeezer
10-24-2005, 06:23 PM
You know, it's the second-half of the season that really matters, so I'm not going to get too concerned about injuries right now. My bigger concern is if any of these guys, especially JO and our centers can stay healthy going into the playoffs or throughout a tough series.

My concern is that he'll get so beat-up playing the 5 that he'll be MIA for PO's if not the 2nd half of the season.

Mourning
10-24-2005, 06:31 PM
My concern is that he'll get so beat-up playing the 5 that he'll be MIA for PO's if not the 2nd half of the season.

Bingo! My thoughts exactly.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Pacers#1Fan
10-24-2005, 08:27 PM
Yeah, Samaki is in. I hate not having any idea when they don't give you a time line for a return. I know that sometimes those types of things are unpredictable but still, it's frustrating.

Kegboy
10-24-2005, 08:40 PM
I know this is my darkside talking, but can anybody else just not shake the feeling that this achilles thing is cover for his hip still not being right? Or are injury conspiracies only limited to Ron, JB and Tinsley?

ChicagoJ
10-24-2005, 09:53 PM
The achillies could be sore because he's still limping from the hip injury. That's actually fairly common.

I remain 0% convinced his hip will ever "be right" again, and I'll stay there until I see him on the court, full-speed, fully recovered.

(And even then, if he's fronting the post I'll be screaming to get him off the court and MagicRat will snap a picture of UB, sneaking up to "204" to strap a muzzle on me.)

Anthem
10-24-2005, 10:21 PM
(And even then, if he's fronting the post I'll be screaming to get him off the court and MagicRat will snap a picture of UB, sneaking up to "204" to strap a muzzle on me.)

Heck, I'd pay for the muzzle!

Sorry man, it was too easy.