PDA

View Full Version : I wonder what's going on at the Indy Star?

Will Galen
10-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Two days with no new Pacer basketball articles, one of them a Sunday. That just doesn't happen this time of year when they have so much to write about.

Well, let me put it this way. The Star has had a habit of publishing articles on the Pacers every Sunday with the exception of the off season ever since I can remember. I was very surprised they didn't have an article yesterday, and then to see no article in todays Star made me think either someone has the flu or something is going on.

Either that or the Star is cutting back on their Pacer coverage.

Maybe they are going to have Bob Kravitz cover something he is qualified to cover, like the entertainment section or the Ladies section.

Thats probably what it is. They are moving Kravitz to the Ladies section and moving the Gal that used to cover the Ladies section to Sports. She's taken two days off to bring herself up to date on the Indy Sports scene so that she will be able to give us at least as good as coverage as we expect from Bobby Knight . . . er Bobby Kravitz.

ChicagoJ
10-24-2005, 04:43 PM
Given that the last headline was "no trades in the works for Pacers for now" ...

the Pacers probably announced a trade over the weekend, but the Star's vast conspiracy is preventing everyone, locally and nationally, from reporting on it.

Damn the Ganett/ USA today conglomerate. Damn them. :D

317Kim
10-24-2005, 04:51 PM
:hmm: Mike probably had to take a hiatus since they're were so many questions of why and how he's not a Pacer fan.

aceace
10-24-2005, 04:52 PM
:wells: :reporter: :bond: :D

The polar bear is wells for those of you that don't know.

One problem might be revenue loss.... all major newspapers are losing subscribers mostly due to the internet having such a vast amount of news. Newspapers will be a thing of the past in 10 years if the internet remains free to publish too.

Frank Slade
10-24-2005, 05:39 PM

One problem might be revenue loss.... all major newspapers are losing subscribers mostly due to the internet having such a vast amount of news. Newspapers will be a thing of the past in 10 years if the internet remains free to publish too.

Ace is right, when I used to work in adverstising and work with most of the newspapers nationwide they all yearly are losing subscibers.. rates going up each year.. subscriptions going down..

Kaufman
10-24-2005, 05:55 PM
There was an article in the Star this Sunday. It just wasn't posted on the paper's website. It was in the hard copy though. It was about Austin Croshere. Initially I was surprised when I didn't see an article, as well. Just for the heck, on the toilet later Sunday evening, I thought I'd look through the paper copy - there's a charm to reading the paper on the loo. And that's when I found the article. So it's there. I wonder why they didn't post that on the internet... Newspapers, in my opinion, while becoming somewhat obsolete, won't ever completely go away, bc of toilet readers like me, and for the sake of offices and waiting lobbies and coupons in the Sunday paper...

Kaufman
10-24-2005, 05:55 PM
Of course, that said, Gannett still sucks. Don't get me wrong.

Deadshot
10-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Kaufman, that's why they have laptops ;)

Will Galen
10-24-2005, 06:41 PM

I didn't know.

I'm not picking on you Aceace, but I think we as a digest are getting to far away from good conversation skills. No that's not what I'm trying to say either.

Lets put it this way. We have nicknames for everyone, which means if we didn't happen to read the post that a nickname was decided on we don't know what other posters in the 'Know' are talking about.

One, that does make us seem clickish having insider language. Two, I'm here every day and I sometimes don't know what someone is talking about because a shortcut has been taken. Three, posters like Mark Boyle have trouble following what is being said. I know for a fact he's asked a couple questions he wouldn't have had to ask if nicknames or shortcuts were not taken.

We pride ourselves here on the digest as being the 'best site on the Net' for talking Pacer basketball. So the question is do we want to keep drawing people like Mark Boyle? If we want the 'best' site it behooves us to spell things out in proper English so that everyone can understand.

I remember one post where the poster only used the Pacer players initials, I quit reading halfway though his post because it was to hard to understand.

Anyone agree with me?

ChicagoJ
10-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Maybe we just need our own "glossary".

It could be stickied. God knows we don't have enough stickies these days. :D

317Kim
10-24-2005, 06:49 PM
Sounds like a good idea.

SoupIsGood
10-24-2005, 06:51 PM
I didn't know.

I'm not picking on you Aceace, but I think we as a digest are getting to far away from good conversation skills. No that's not what I'm trying to say either.

Lets put it this way. We have nicknames for everyone, which means if we didn't happen to read the post that a nickname was decided on we don't know what other posters in the 'Know' are talking about.

One, that does make us seem clickish having insider language. Two, I'm here every day and I sometimes don't know what someone is talking about because a shortcut has been taken. Three, posters like Mark Boyle have trouble following what is being said. I know for a fact he's asked a couple questions he wouldn't have had to ask if nicknames or shortcuts were not taken.

We pride ourselves here on the digest as being the 'best site on the Net' for talking Pacer basketball. So the question is do we want to keep drawing people like Mark Boyle? If we want the 'best' site it behooves us to spell things out in proper English so that everyone can understand.

I remember one post where the poster only used the Pacer players initials, I quit reading halfway though his post because it was to hard to understand.

Anyone agree with me?

So no more Satan

Unclebuck
10-24-2005, 06:59 PM
There was an article in the print edition Sunday about Croshere. Carlisle said that Cro looked better than he ever has in training camp.

Will Galen
10-24-2005, 07:23 PM
So no more Satan

Not necessarily.

I don't think there is anything wrong with nicknames as long as you explain yourself in the first post of a thread. For instant, not to long ago I called Bob Kavitz a venom peddler in the first post of a thread. Everyone then reading the thread then knew who was being referred to.

As a group we forget that new people reading us won't understand everything we say without some explanation, we just go ahead and assume that what we write will be understood. That's not good.

I think if we take a bit more time with our posts, and do a better job explaining ourselves we can draw even more people like Mark Boyle.

Pacers#1Fan
10-24-2005, 08:10 PM
Do you guys remember the article Kravitz wrote after the Ron/Larry SI cover and was saying "How can Larry Bird treat Ron Artest like a hero?" I wanted to write in to the letter to the editor thing and say "How can the Star treat you like a sports writer?". God I can't stand that guy. I think he should move to Detroit.

317Kim
10-24-2005, 08:14 PM
Do you guys remember the article Kravitz wrote after the Ron/Larry SI cover and was saying "How can Larry Bird treat Ron Artest like a hero?" I wanted to write in to the letter to the editor thing and say "How can the Star treat you like a sports writer?". God I can't stand that guy. I think he should move to Detroit.

:nod: Cant stand him either! he's a idiot . and if you want I'll write a letter for you as long as I get credital mentions...;)

aceace
10-24-2005, 08:16 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/image.php?u=1548&dateline=1129669408

Will, look at my face. Do I look like a man that cares. Were you trying to say that little cartoons were a bad thing?

Pacers#1Fan
10-24-2005, 08:17 PM
Thats ok, the time has passed.

317Kim
10-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Thats ok, the time has passed.

lol I was jus kiddin ;) .

ChicagoJ
10-24-2005, 09:07 PM
The Croshere article is online now. :shrug:

317Kim
10-24-2005, 09:21 PM

Thanks for lettin me know. :)

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051023/SPORTS04/510230421/1088

SoupIsGood
10-24-2005, 09:25 PM

Proof that Satan lurks here.... or something like that

Kegboy
10-24-2005, 09:55 PM
Anyone agree with me?

:shakehead:

How else am I supposed to prop up my low self esteem other than making myself feel superior by posting inane shortcuts than nobody has a chance of ever understanding.

I think you're just jealous that you don't have a nickname.

Will Galen->Willie G->Willie Green->#33

Nope, that won't work, since people will just think I'm talking about Larry or JJ.

Let's see, Green missed out on that big contract by tearing up his knee in a pickup game.

That's it, I hereby christen you "pickup". Congratulations.
:cool:

Harmonica
10-24-2005, 10:02 PM

Anyone agree with me?

Who else do you hope to attract? So Mark Boyle has to ask a few questions to get up to speed. Who hasn't around here. That's part of being the new kid on the block and getting to know a new group of people. Took me months to figure out who or what people here were talking about or referring to when I first landed on PD. That's because certain members here shared a history from RATS that I didn't. By the way, I had no idea what RATS meant when I first got here. Had to ask. Where were you then? ;)

ChicagoJ
10-24-2005, 10:06 PM
We've got an archive and a decent search module. Seems to me that if you search on "bunny with a pancake on its head" or "free btown" or "fifteen new players" or whatever that you can find the stuff pretty quickly.

Will Galen
10-24-2005, 11:19 PM
Who else do you hope to attract? So Mark Boyle has to ask a few questions to get up to speed. Who hasn't around here. That's part of being the new kid on the block and getting to know a new group of people. Took me months to figure out who or what people here were talking about or referring to when I first landed on PD. That's because certain members here shared a history from RATS that I didn't. By the way, I had no idea what RATS meant when I first got here. Had to ask. Where were you then? ;)

That was probably one of the times I had you on ignore. (grin) I'm thinking about putting you there again. I don't think you are the real Bulletproof. (Bulletproof is a former name of Harmonica)

Why? Over the last couple of weeks I've agreed with about everything you've posted about the Pacers. (grin)

PS. For those not in the know, RATS is the Indy Star forum spelled backwards.

Will Galen
10-24-2005, 11:22 PM
:shakehead:

How else am I supposed to prop up my low self esteem other than making myself feel superior by posting inane shortcuts than nobody has a chance of ever understanding.

I think you're just jealous that you don't have a nickname.

Will Galen->Willie G->Willie Green->#33

Nope, that won't work, since people will just think I'm talking about Larry or JJ.

Let's see, Green missed out on that big contract by tearing up his knee in a pickup game.

That's it, I hereby christen you "pickup". Congratulations.
:cool:

Still mad you're the 2nd best Kegboy huh? (giggle,giggle,snort)

(For those not in the know, Kegboy come in second to his sister Grace in a poll for best Kegboy. I started the poll.)

Kegboy
10-24-2005, 11:26 PM
We've got an archive and a decent search module. Seems to me that if you search on "bunny with a pancake on its head" or "free btown" or "fifteen new players" or whatever that you can find the stuff pretty quickly.

Good point.

For example, it didn't take me long at all to find you talking about the origin of Peanut Butter being lost in the fire, followed by you and UB arguing on the merits of playing PB.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898&highlight=peanut+butter

Kegboy
10-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Still mad you're the 2nd best Kegboy huh? (giggle,giggle,snort)

(For those not in the know, Kegboy come in second to his sister Grace in a poll for best Kegboy. I started the poll.)

You know, I was joking. Now I'm going to make it my life's mission to make sure everyone calls you Pickup. :evillaugh:

Peck
10-25-2005, 12:08 AM
Two days with no new Pacer basketball articles, one of them a Sunday. That just doesn't happen this time of year when they have so much to write about.

Well, let me put it this way. The Star has had a habit of publishing articles on the Pacers every Sunday with the exception of the off season ever since I can remember. I was very surprised they didn't have an article yesterday, and then to see no article in todays Star made me think either someone has the flu or something is going on.

Either that or the Star is cutting back on their Pacer coverage.

Maybe they are going to have Bob Kravitz cover something he is qualified to cover, like the entertainment section or the Ladies section.

Thats probably what it is. They are moving Kravitz to the Ladies section and moving the Gal that used to cover the Ladies section to Sports. She's taken two days off to bring herself up to date on the Indy Sports scene so that she will be able to give us at least as good as coverage as we expect from Bobby Knight . . . er Bobby Kravitz.

So Montieth is back to writing the Pacers beat?

MagicRat
10-25-2005, 12:18 AM
RATS is the Indy Star forum spelled backwards.

Now that's confusing. I thought it would've been murofratsydnieht.

You and your tricky message board shorthand.....

aceace
10-25-2005, 12:57 AM
The Croshere article just mysteriously showed up on the Star digital edition in the last hour. Thats interesting. Maybe Mike doesn't want to get a bad name here too quick. Maybe we can change the polar bear to Pizza delivery guy.

Will Galen
10-25-2005, 01:29 AM
You know, I was joking. Now I'm going to make it my life's mission to make sure everyone calls you Pickup. :evillaugh:

I'm a nickname kind of guy. I'm so used to being called by nicknames that I used to sign my emails, Dad/Bill/Will/Billy/Coz/Unk/Grandpa/Bro/ so one more won't bother me at all. (smile)

In fact I kind of like it. It will give me a change to explain to people that the #2 Kegboy in a fit of pique christened me with it. (giggle)

And at least I won't be #2. (rofl)

Kaufman
10-25-2005, 01:50 AM
Whats up with all the anger and hostility on the board tonight everyone?

Will Galen
10-25-2005, 02:03 AM
Whats up with all the anger and hostility on the board tonight everyone?

I'm not mad and don't feel hostile toward anyone, and I don't believe anyone is this thread is feeling that way. So what are you referring to?

ChicagoJ
10-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Have UB and I ever agreed on anything? :blush:

Unclebuck
10-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Have UB and I ever agreed on anything? :blush:

Yes we have now

Los Angeles
10-25-2005, 01:42 PM
So Montieth is back to writing the Pacers beat?
That's freaking hilarious. :laugh:

Kegboy
10-25-2005, 09:30 PM
Kegboy, can I get a nickname now?

At work the call me crash, but thats because of my old car accident.

I want a new one.........

and no, I dont want "pugnacious"!

Well, until Btown finally gets around to what he was sent out there to do, how's "Dead Man Walking"?

Otherwise, I'll throw this to my sister. I'm sure she'll come up with a colorful way of calling you a slut.

grace
10-25-2005, 11:28 PM
Btown cant see me........

Oh, and now Im a slut :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I'M A SAINT I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, right now the name Pinocchio comes to mind. Call yourself a saint one more time and the weight of your nose might just tip you over.