PDA

View Full Version : Pacers.com} Jasikevicius Could Push Tinsley

317Kim
10-24-2005, 12:37 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/preview_point_guards_0506.html

JASiKEVICIUS COULD PUSH TINSLEY
Season Preview: The Point Guards

By Conrad Brunner Oct. 24, 2005 <HR>If things have come with relative ease for Jamaal Tinsley (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jamaal_tinsley/index.html) to this point in his career, they will no longer.
<TABLE width=65 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/jamaal_tinsley.jpg
<CENTER>Tinsley</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Since being handed the starting job by Isiah Thomas as a rookie in 2001-02, Tinsley has been unchallenged at the top of the depth chart. After enduring two seasons of injury problems for Tinsley, however, the Pacers made a major move at the position by signing Sarunas Jasikevicius (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/sarunas_jasikevicius/index.html). The addition of the European superstar makes point guard the deepest position on a deep roster and gives the team much-needed insurance against another Tinsley breakdown.
When he's right, Tinsley is one of the best pure point guards in the game, playing as if on skates, finding passing lanes few others can see. A radically improved shooter, Tinsley has made 37.2 percent of his shots from the 3-point line the last two seasons after hitting 25.8 percent his first two. With the team's offense devastated by suspensions last season, he stepped forward as a scorer, averaging 15.4 overall and 19.1 in a 27-game span before suffering the foot injury that spoiled his year.
<TABLE width=65 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/sarunas_jasikevicius.jpg
<CENTER>Jasikevicius</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Coming off back-to-back EuroLeague championships, Jasikevicius has a very different skill set. Where Tinsley will swing for the fences with some of his decisions, Jasikevicius is much more fundamentally sound. Where defenses are willing to let Tinsley shoot from the perimeter, they will crowd Jasikevicius, a deadly long-range bomber. Where Tinsley is generally reserved in his on-court demeanor, Jasikevicius has a reputation for fiery emotions.
Tinsley's biggest advantages, and they are formidable, are his NBA experience, knowledge of Coach Rick Carlisle's system and familiarity with teammates. Neither player is particularly adept at individual defense, though Tinsley is more advanced as a team defender. And both players are exceptionally competitive, which should make this a season-long battle to watch.
<TABLE width=65 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/anthony_johnson.jpg
<CENTER>Johnson</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Adding to the intrigue is the rock-solid presence of Anthony Johnson (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/anthony_johnson/index.html), whose contributions to last season's playoff push were immense. When Tinsley went down, Johnson stepped in, averaging 11.3 points and 6.3 assists while the team posted a 21-15 record with him as a starter. The best defender of the bunch, with good strength and long arms, Johnson is valuable because of his ability to match up with stronger guards like Dwyane Wade and Chauncey Billups. Eddie Gill (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/eddie_gill/index.html) is yet another veteran, but needs to show more than he did last season (3.7 points, 1.1 assists. .308 shooting in a career-high 73 games). That'll be difficult, considering that kind of opportunity for playing time isn't likely to recur.

Destined4Greatness
10-24-2005, 01:59 PM
It pains me when I see COnrad get simple facts right. Tinsley was not only challenged for the starting job. It was taken from him.

Bball
10-24-2005, 02:09 PM
A shot across Tinsley's bow?

I wonder if the key word in the text was "fundamental"?

-Bball

Hicks
10-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Because Tinsley makes sure to read every Pacers.com QOTD?

travmil
10-24-2005, 02:12 PM
I don't know how on earth anyone who has watched both play in pre-season, and saw them go head to head at the Fan Jam could even say with 10% confidence that Tinsley has to worry about losing his starters' job.

Deadshot
10-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Where Tinsley is generally reserved in his on-court demeanor, Jasikevicius has a reputation for fiery emotions.

I tend to disagree with this statement. Last season, Tinsley seemed to show his anger on the court, leading to technicals several times. Also, I have seen his fiery emotions even in preseason at certain situations.

Other than that, the article was pretty good; nothing we didn't really know, but a nice read nonetheless.

MagicRat
10-24-2005, 02:31 PM
It pains me when I see COnrad get simple facts right. Tinsley was not only challenged for the starting job. It was taken from him.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_031104.html

Why is Tinsley Sitting Behind Anderson, Johnson?

Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2003
If you'd like to pose a Question of the Day to Conrad Brunner, submit it along with your full name and hometown to </I>Bruno's_mailbag@pacers.com (bruno's_mailbag@pacers.com?subject=Mailbag). Brunner’s opinions are his own and do not necessarily reflect those of Pacers players, coaches or management.

<TABLE width=90 align=left border=5><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/conrad_brunner.jpg QUESTION
OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Q. In the game against the Atlanta Hawks, (Kenny) Anderson racked up 31 minutes while (Anthony) Johnson had 30 of his own. While this is going on, (Jamaal) Tinsley is sitting on the bench collecting a big donut in the "minutes played" column. Why is this? Was he hurt? I know that we have won two of the three games so far, but at no time during those games did we show some of the offensive dominance and fast-break ability that we have always gotten from Tinsley. Do (Rick) Carlisle and (Larry) Bird have something against the player who is the obvious choice at point guard? (From Tommy in Indianapolis) <TABLE height=50 width=50 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/qotd.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

A. Interestingly, but not surprisingly, there has been quite a bit of e-mail on this subject, although most of it has been in support of the new direction at the point. Tinsley isn’t injured. The decision to play Anderson and Johnson was Carlisle’s, and it was based on what he wants and needs from the position. Tinsley’s otherwise solid game has two substantial flaws: defense and shooting. The Pacers need more of both. Frankly, that’s why Johnson and Anderson were signed as free agent. Johnson brings with him a reputation for superior defense, general tenacity and respectable 3-point shooting. Anderson is a player opponents have to respect because of his scoring ability, and also is a competent defender.

To be sure, the Pacers have enjoyed some fine moments with Tinsley at the point, but they have not been offensively dominant. In his two seasons as the starter, they ranked ninth in the NBA in scoring – at 96.8 both seasons. This is not to say Tinsley isn’t a capable point guard; at the moment, however, he is behind Anderson and Johnson on the depth chart. Carlisle has repeatedly said he is convinced the team has three quality players at the position. But the reality is that it’s extremely difficult to find meaningful minutes for more than two. No matter who is in the rotation, a quality player is going to have to sit. For now – and really, for the first time in his career – it’s Tinsley’s turn.

Los Angeles
10-24-2005, 03:01 PM
I don't know how on earth anyone who has watched both play in pre-season, and saw them go head to head at the Fan Jam could even say with 10% confidence that Tinsley has to worry about losing his starters' job.
Could you state in plain english what you mean? Tinsley is 10% secure? 90% secure? The wording of your post has me confused is all.

When I think of all of Tinsley's accomplishments last year the biggest one is this: When he started, we had a skeleton team, and we lost a lot of games. When he went down and Johnson came in, we started to see consistency in our lineups, and started winning again. Whatever happened it happened at roughly the same time. It's hard to know if we would have been winners in the same period if Tins had stayed healthy.

But if you stick a gun to my head and make me take a position, Tinsley's stats don't mean a hill of beans to me other than these: w/l as a starter and DNPs.

The biggest thing to learn from it all is that we can win - and even remain a contrender - without him.

Ragnar
10-24-2005, 03:12 PM
These sort of things always come up in the off season then we get into the season and we win 78% of the games Tinsley starts and 32% of the games he does not. Seems like a pretty simple equation to me. It is possible that Sarunas is better but we have not seen that yet. It is far more likely that he is just a HUGE upgrade over Johnson and we could have a SCARY win% with Tinsley and Saras combined.

Los Angeles
10-24-2005, 03:22 PM
These sort of things always come up in the off season then we get into the season and we win 78% of the games Tinsley starts and 32% of the games he does not. Seems like a pretty simple equation to me. It is possible that Sarunas is better but we have not seen that yet. It is far more likely that he is just a HUGE upgrade over Johnson and we could have a SCARY win% with Tinsley and Saras combined.
Are those "win 78%" wins and "32% wins when he does not" exact numbers? Over what time period are they from? What is your source? They weren't from last year or the year before, that's for sure.

Anyway, why does that "stat" even matter when history tells us that he might be injured (not starting) come time for the playoffs anyway?

naptownmenace
10-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Tinsley is still the Pacers best PG and will give them the best chance to get off to a good early start.

I expect more of a Mark Jackson/Travis Best platoon system where Tinsley will start and play most of the first and third quarters, while Saras will play mainly during the second and first (depending on foul trouble, injuries, ect.).

Ragnar
10-24-2005, 03:57 PM
Are those "win 78%" wins and "32% wins when he does not" exact numbers? Over what time period are they from? What is your source? They weren't from last year or the year before, that's for sure.

Anyway, why does that "stat" even matter when history tells us that he might be injured (not starting) come time for the playoffs anyway?

I cant remember if it is 76% or 78% but that is accurate. I dont know the if he does not start number I just pulled that out of my ***, but we did not exactly win a lot of games last year when he did not start. The year before that when Kenny was here we started out well then went on a .500 jag before Tinsley was finaly re installed as starter and he was CLEARLY superior.

Those long losing streaks last year were all with Tinsley injured. ALL OF THEM.

Evan_The_Dude
10-24-2005, 04:03 PM
We'll cross the bridge if we get to it, nuff said.

MagicRat
10-24-2005, 04:05 PM
I cant remember if it is 76% or 78% but that is accurate. I dont know the if he does not start number I just pulled that out of my ***, but we did not exactly win a lot of games last year when he did not start. The year before that when Kenny was here we started out well then went on a .500 jag before Tinsley was finaly re installed as starter and he was CLEARLY superior.

Keep fighting the good fight, Ragnar.....................:scream:

Pacersfan46
10-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Those win % numbers mean nothing. We didn't have Sarunas at that time. We don't know how well we would, or wouldn't do with him starting.

heywoode
10-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Tinsley is our starting PG, and for good reason.

Saras showed he was great in Europe, so let's see what he can do here.

Anyone who thinks that Saras will give Tinsley a run for the starting job better be expecting Tinsley to break his foot and Saras to start picking up the offense and knocking down a whole lot more threes QUICKLY. I don't think anyone will get a start over a healthy JT.

SoupIsGood
10-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Tinsley is very good, Saras would have to improve greatly on defense and running our offense to begin to push him. Not saying he couldn't do it, but it will take awhile. Maybe a year.

Pacers#1Fan
10-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Yes, Tins is a better point guard than Kenny and AJ. There is no doubt in my mind about that. That season was a kind of wake-up-call to Jamaal. When JT played last season he was the teams unquestioned PG. This year is different than any of Jamaal's previous seasons. He is going to fight for time with a PG that can actually fight back. The two players will be going for the same position but they have different styles of play. In Tin's you have a fast, athletic, pure PG that can see the court very well but sometimes makes a bad decision or two (or more). In Sarunas you have a great shooting, smart, conservative PG/SG that does see the passing lanes just as well as Tins, but he may let his guy get past him a time or two (or more). All in all this really should be a great dog fight. I think that the major deciding factor in which one of them starts is who we play on a given night. There is really no way we will know for sure until the season starts but I think they will wind up sharing the starts for the most part, but I think Tins will get the majority of them.

Pacersfan46
10-24-2005, 05:33 PM
I believe the end result will be Tinsley starts games, and Sarunas finishes them.

DisplacedKnick
10-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Not sure how anyone who watched the Pacers last year, particularly the playoffs, can say they were better without him than with him. Without him you don't beat Boston in the 1st rd.

Now AJ did have a period where he played extremely well last season but that had ended by the playoffs - he couldn't even get the ball up the floor.

Kegboy
10-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Conrad = hater.

Unclebuck
10-24-2005, 08:35 PM

Pacers lost 8 straight during the 1st two weeks of December and Tinsley was very healthy during those games. (I'm not blaming Tinsley at all he played very well during that time)

Ragnar
10-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Pacers lost 8 straight during the 1st two weeks of December and Tinsley was very healthy during those games. (I'm not blaming Tinsley at all he played very well during that time)

I am pretty sure he was out for the first couple at least. He came back for the kings game where he shot something like 50% and had at least 20 points. John Edwards was the starting center and played something like 30 minutes. We had no J.O. no Ron no Jack no Reggie he was the ONLY starter and we stayed in that game for a while. I never said he could single handedly win games with just him, me, you, Peck and Hicks.

The next game (Golden State) we were in and we still had no one but Jamaal and then Reggie, We lost to the Bucks without Jamaal in back to back games. And he was out for the other Kings game. So in that 7 game losing streak he played in 2 of those games.

He came back against Atlanta and pretty much single handedly won the game. Then we beat the Raptors again with basically Reggie and Jamaal.

We then lost to the Bulls when Jamaal scored over 30 and Reggie had 4 and no one else had even 15. The Philly game was robbery AGAIN, Detroit Jermaine's first game back and J.O. went 7-19 you cant blame Jamaal for trying to get the big man back into a rhythm. Then we reeled off several wins in a row.

In December we lost far more without him than we did with him his win% is in the 70's not in the 100's

The point of all this is that when healthy Jamaal is one of the very best point guards in the NBA. To think that a guy is going to come in from the Euro league and outplay him is ABSURD.

Jamaal's health is an issue and on that I agree Saras could end up starting if Jamaal gets hurt. Or I could see Rick starting Saras just because Rick may trust him more. Rick has admitted he does not get Jamaal. If he does hopefully he will get himself (Rick) kicked out of a game in time for one of his assistants to put him back in to save our season.

Destined4Greatness
10-24-2005, 09:23 PM
I believe the end result will be Tinsley starts games, and Sarunas finishes them.

Only if he is the one that is taking the shot. But if the Play is for anybody else, I would much rather have Tinsley making the pass.

Bball
10-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Because Tinsley makes sure to read every Pacers.com QOTD?

Reads 'em? He even asks 'em!

-Bball ;)

Unclebuck
10-24-2005, 09:58 PM
What injury did Tinsley have right after Thanksgiving ?

ChicagoJ
10-24-2005, 10:03 PM
I know he missed some games - he didn't play in the Orlando game right after the brawl, he played like a star against Boston, then I think he missed some more games when we went west.

Anthem
10-24-2005, 10:14 PM
This is going to drive me absolutely batty.

Jamaal shot 37% last year from the NBA 3-point line against NBA defense.
Sarunas shot 39% last year from the international 3-point line against Euro (that is to say, NO) defense.

Why is Sarunas considered a deadeye shooter while Tinsley is erratic?

MagicRat
10-24-2005, 10:29 PM

Sarunas shot 39% last year from the international 3-point line against Euro (that is to say, NO) defense.

The conservative/fundamental vs. swing for the fences part kind of gets to me too. I like Sarunas, but I'm sure he'll throw his fair share of fancy passes into the first row.......

Ragnar
10-24-2005, 10:31 PM
What injury did Tinsley have right after Thanksgiving ?

He hurt his arm at the Brawl and then he twisted his ankle.

Anthem
10-24-2005, 10:58 PM
Just sent two letters:

---
Jamaal shot 37% last year, while Sarunas shot 39%. Surely a 2%
difference (one successful shot in fifty) isn't enough to justify
calling one but not the other "a deadly long-range bomber." In
addition, Tinsley shot from the NBA 3-point line against NBA defense,
while Sarunas shot from the international 3-point line against Euro
(that is to say, NO) defense. So what gives?

Micah
Cincinnati, OH
---
Unlike the previous, this isn't intended for publication.

Continuing along the "Never let the facts get in the way of a good
story" line, you might want to reconsider that "unchallenged at the
top of the depth chart" bit.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_031104.html
---
Bruno, if you're reading, we still love you!

Unclebuck
10-24-2005, 11:15 PM

Tinsley is left wide open to shoot any outside shot he wants. Simple as that

Unclebuck
10-24-2005, 11:16 PM
He hurt his arm at the Brawl and then he twisted his ankle.

Was that the dreaded, "dustpan elbow" injury

heywoode
10-24-2005, 11:21 PM
[quote=Ragnar]I am pretty sure he was out for the first couple at least. He came back for the kings game where he shot something like 50% and had at least 20 points. John Edwards was the starting center and played something like 30 minutes. We had no J.O. no Ron no Jack no Reggie he was the ONLY starter and we stayed in that game for a while. I never said he could single handedly win games with just him, me, you, Peck and Hicks.

The next game (Golden State) we were in and we still had no one but Jamaal and then Reggie, We lost to the Bucks without Jamaal in back to back games. And he was out for the other Kings game. So in that 7 game losing streak he played in 2 of those games.

He came back against Atlanta and pretty much single handedly won the game. Then we beat the Raptors again with basically Reggie and Jamaal.

We then lost to the Bulls when Jamaal scored over 30 and Reggie had 4 and no one else had even 15. The Philly game was robbery AGAIN, Detroit Jermaine's first game back and J.O. went 7-19 you cant blame Jamaal for trying to get the big man back into a rhythm. Then we reeled off several wins in a row.

In December we lost far more without him than we did with him his win% is in the 70's not in the 100's
/quote]

Do you keep a Pacers diary or something?! Man, that is impressive.

The scary thing is, that when you narrate it as such, I can remember that stuff happening too! That first Kings game, absolutely...I remember thinking for a while that we actually had a shot...

Destined4Greatness
10-24-2005, 11:22 PM
I think he was holding the dustpan and somebody swatted it away and if muffed up his wrist.

Arcadian
10-24-2005, 11:29 PM

It's because Saras as a Euro is fundamently sound. Tins as a Rucker's product is flashy and selfish. (...in bed. Hey, it doesn't just work for fortune cookies)

Kegboy
10-24-2005, 11:32 PM
...in bed.

Is anybody else just glad he didn't say "in my pants"?

Kegboy
10-24-2005, 11:35 PM
Google really is a wonderful thing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/3528/injuries.html

JAMAAL TINSLEY
Indiana Pacers | PG | #11
College: Iowa State Rookie Yr: 2001
Ht., Wt.: 6'3", 183
Contract Status: Active
NBA Exp.: 3
Born: Feb 28, 1978 in Brooklyn, New York
Main Stats
Transactions
Injuries
Splits
Game Log Stats
Get the latest Jamaal Tinsley news e-mailed to you.

INJURIES
Date Injury
04/29/2005 Bruised left foot
04/06/2005 Bruised left foot
03/25/2005 Bruised left foot
02/24/2005 Bruised left foot
02/13/2005 Bruised left foot
02/02/2005 Bruised left foot
01/26/2005 Sinus infection
12/07/2004 Dnd - sprained right ankle
12/01/2004 Bruised left thigh
11/21/2004 Bruised right wrist
03/30/2004 Flu
03/08/2004 Sprained right toe
12/01/2003 Personal reasons
11/28/2003 Sore lower back
11/15/2003 Illness

indygeezer
10-24-2005, 11:49 PM
First I think it's a shot across JT's bow. A wake-up call.

Second, I know for me anyway his biggest problem is his attitude. Anybody remember the frustration you felt watching him try to go against the inside defense of the Pistons time after time only to have his shot blocked time after time? He let the street baller take over and took the rest of the team out of the game.

Kegboy
10-24-2005, 11:53 PM

Second, I know for me anyway his biggest problem is his attitude. Anybody remember the frustration you felt watching him try to go against the inside defense of the Pistons time after time only to have his shot blocked time after time? He let the street baller take over and took the rest of the team out of the game.

As has already been pointed out, that attitude helped us greatly in getting past Boston.

Anthem
10-25-2005, 12:00 AM
Tinsley is left wide open to shoot any outside shot he wants. Simple as that

Saras is going to be left just as open.

Hicks
10-25-2005, 12:06 AM
I think this may be a case of "the stats lie". I'll only believe it if I see it, but otherwise you'd have a hell of a time convincing me that Tinsley is as good of a 3pt shooter as Sarunas, or Sarunas is as bad as Tinsley.

Maybe in this case it's timing. Saras is known for stepping up in the clutch. I know many of you consider Tinsley clutch, but I can only think of one true clutch moment from him, otherwise just a lot of solid play throughout a game.

indygeezer
10-25-2005, 12:06 AM
As has already been pointed out, that attitude helped us greatly in getting past Boston.

I missed that . Which attitude are you refering to? The one that goes, "I'm gonna prove to you I can drive against people 8 inches and 60 lbs bigger than me and score on them someday.

What was the golf movie where Nicolas Cage took a 12 on a hole proving that he could drive over a water hazard? Yeah that was movie fantasy but unfortunately Tinsley was playing in real-life playoffs.

MagicRat
10-25-2005, 12:10 AM
What was the golf movie where Nicolas Cage took a 12 on a hole proving that he could drive over a water hazard?

Leaving Las Tin Cup?

indygeezer
10-25-2005, 12:11 AM
Leaving Las Tin Cup?

Tin Cup ! That was it, thank you I can now sleep (that was really bugging me).

Bball
10-25-2005, 12:19 AM

Which game was it when he just kept taking 3's and the crowd was getting anxious and more vocal with each one (miss after miss). Small children were crying. Mothers were covering their children's eyes and ears from seeing any more of the shots or hearing the increasingly colorful lanquage from the crowd.

-Bball

Unclebuck
10-25-2005, 12:23 AM
Google really is a wonderful thing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/3528/injuries.html

JAMAAL TINSLEY
Indiana Pacers | PG | #11
College: Iowa State Rookie Yr: 2001
Ht., Wt.: 6'3", 183
Contract Status: Active
NBA Exp.: 3
Born: Feb 28, 1978 in Brooklyn, New York
Main Stats
Transactions
Injuries
Splits
Game Log Stats
Get the latest Jamaal Tinsley news e-mailed to you.

INJURIES
Date Injury
04/29/2005 Bruised left foot
04/06/2005 Bruised left foot
03/25/2005 Bruised left foot
02/24/2005 Bruised left foot
02/13/2005 Bruised left foot
02/02/2005 Bruised left foot
01/26/2005 Sinus infection
12/07/2004 Dnd - sprained right ankle
12/01/2004 Bruised left thigh
11/21/2004 Bruised right wrist
03/30/2004 Flu
03/08/2004 Sprained right toe
12/01/2003 Personal reasons
11/28/2003 Sore lower back
11/15/2003 Illness

OK, so out of the 8 game losing streak, Tinsley missed two of those games.

Unclebuck
10-25-2005, 12:25 AM
Saras is going to be left just as open.

No he won't.

Bball
10-25-2005, 12:49 AM

Is that an actual list of dates/games missed or just a date the injury was reported (and subsequent games could've been missed)?

I see: 12/01/2003 Personal reasons
If that was when his mother was ill and finally passed that was certainly more than one game.

-Bball

Destined4Greatness
10-25-2005, 01:07 AM
Thats not nicholas cage.

Pacersfan46
10-25-2005, 02:41 AM
It was Kevin Costner.

indygeezer
10-25-2005, 07:05 AM
It was Kevin Costner.

Yer right. Eh what can I say? All these newbie actors look alike to me.

Eindar
10-25-2005, 07:45 AM
Yer right. Eh what can I say? All these newbie actors look alike to me.

Haha, I like that Geez. Kevin Costner, Nick Cage...Newbies :)

Back on topic, I think Sarunas' defense is going to be too bad to have him go against many starting PGs. I think most of his minutes will be spent playing with the second unit, or playing with the first unit at the end of games if the man he's guarding isn't considered to be an offensive threat or extremely quick.

Ragnar
10-25-2005, 10:20 AM

UB go look it up. It was a 7 game losing streak and Jamaal only played in 2 of them, he was out for the other 5. That is if you are still thinking about the beginning of December.

Heywoode no I dont keep a diary that was still close to the brawl. Remember that Golden State game was Reggie's first game back from the broken hand and the suspension. Start thinking about that and what followed and I bet it will come back to you.

Ragnar
10-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Haha, I like that Geez. Kevin Costner, Nick Cage...Newbies :)

Well compared to Paul Newman :laugh:

heywoode
10-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Heywoode no I dont keep a diary that was still close to the brawl. Remember that Golden State game was Reggie's first game back from the broken hand and the suspension. Start thinking about that and what followed and I bet it will come back to you.

It started coming back to me when I read your little narrative, but I doubt I could've recalled that much on my own....
My memory is a thing of wonder...and it isn't ALL related to how much fun I had in college...I honestly think it is because I'm getting older and choosing to remember other things. AHHH!! MY BRAIN IS FULL!!! I have to delete some things to make space for new memories!

Los Angeles
10-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Tinsley played in 3 of those 7.

He also played in 4 of the 6 games in the Pacers other extensive losing streak from January 22nd to February 2nd.

Tinsley played in exactly 0 games of the Pacers longest winning streak, a 6 game stretch between March 28th and April 8th. He also played in only 2 of the 5 games the Pacers won during their second longest winning streak of the season, between February 13th and February 25th.

And the fact that we have to actually research how many games Tinsley played in a few series of games ranging from the beginning of the season to the end says everything you need to know about Tinsley's career to date. EDIT- Flashes of brilliance tempered by his constant unavialibility. I wish the guy COULD play 80ish games and 30+ minutes per game (since his talent is undeniable), but history says otherwise....... :shrug:
Exactly.

I don't think anyone questions Tinsley's talent or that he's our best pg.

I've just reached the point where I'd like to see each of our two best point guards play 20-28 minutes a piece. That way, when one goes down, the other can take more minutes and the third man can come in for 10-15. The main reason to do this is to reduce the adjustment time for the new setup.

After actually saying that Artest can come off the bench, Carlisle left the door open for anyone to come off the bench. Discounting the revolving door situation at center, I'm most comfortable with Tinsley getting 20 minutes off the bench than any of the other "starters".

SoupIsGood
10-25-2005, 05:32 PM
His career stats -

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/SoupIsGood/sarstats.gif

^ Why he is a deadeye.

Since86
10-25-2005, 06:00 PM
58% from any range over a season is amazing. I don't care if you're shooting from 19"9', or from 22'3"(?). He can shoot all day just inside the NBA 3pt range if he knocks it down that consistantly.

EDIT: That's a 44.2 3pt% over an 11yr span. wow.......

SoupIsGood
10-25-2005, 06:11 PM
58% from any range over a season is amazing. I don't care if you're shooting from 19"9', or from 22'3"(?). He can shoot all day just inside the NBA 3pt range if he knocks it down that consistantly.

EDIT: That's a 44.2 3pt% over an 11yr span. wow.......

Yikes. I didn't notice that 58, probably because it has no decimal after it or something. Truly sick.

Eindar
10-25-2005, 06:14 PM
The stats look great, but something to keep in mind. As mentioned earlier, it does us no good if he shoots 40+% from downtown if the guy he's guarding goes for 30 and gets JO, Foster, and Artest into foul trouble. Also, it appears the Euroleague season is 44 games, and it looks like he missed some games in that 44 game season. I think that means we'll certainly see him hit the "rookie wall", and also that durability might be an issue if he's asked to play more than 15-20 mpg.

SoupIsGood
10-25-2005, 06:18 PM
The stats look great, but something to keep in mind. As mentioned earlier, it does us no good if he shoots 40+% from downtown if the guy he's guarding goes for 30 and gets JO, Foster, and Artest into foul trouble. Also, it appears the Euroleague season is 44 games, and it looks like he missed some games in that 44 game season. I think that means we'll certainly see him hit the "rookie wall", and also that durability might be an issue if he's asked to play more than 15-20 mpg.

So playing Reggie did us no good?

Help D can make up for weak defense. Besides, he more than likely won't be playing the other team's starting PG much.

Gytaz_Sharas
10-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Also, it appears the Euroleague season is 44 games, and it looks like he missed some games in that 44 game season.

Spanish national championship is 44 games. Euroleague season is 16-25 games depending on how far team goes. Strong teams in Europe usually play in 3 competitions at the same time: national championship, national cup and Euroleague.

sorry about my English..

NPFII
10-26-2005, 10:55 AM
His career stats -

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/SoupIsGood/sarstats.gif

^ Why he is a deadeye.

It's even more impressive than you think: since the 3pt line is closer, players feel more confident and take worse shots from 3pt, so % drops (US olympic team can tell you all about it). The best comparison would be to how TMac shoots his 3s - like it's a mid-range jumper...
As a set shooter, or if he's left open - Saras will knock'em down with the best of them. He doesn't catch'n'shoot though - never seen him do it (probably not enuf leg power).

I agree with the opinion that Tinsley will start and Saras will finish. The main reason why Saras finishes games is his FT %. I remembered it was good, but 95% is even more than I thought. I can also assure you that in 2 years in Tel Aviv he NEVER missed a FT in the 4th quarter. When you're in a situation that the other team HAS to foul (and the Pacers will get to that situation a lot this year) - get it to Saras, and the game is nailed.

In Europe you are also allowed to sub the shooter immediately after the 2nd FT (!!), so coach Gershon would replace Saras for a better defender in these final minute FTs. I dont think Maccabi lost a close game during these 2 years AT ALL. I'm willing to bet that the Pacers wont lose many close games this year either, as long as they play Saras in the final minutes.

One week to go...

Rytas_Jega
10-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Talking about Saras freethrows, all 6 Lithuanians make not worse than 75 percent at freethrow line in this NBA preseason. 4 of them are 6"8+ players :) Shooting skills is the key of our basketball system.

Jasikevicius (Pacers) 8-9 89%
Ilgauskas (Cavs) 34-40 85%
Andriuskevicius (Cavs) 5-6 83%
Macijauskas (Hornets) 8-10 80%
Kleiza (Nuggets) 7-9 78%
Songaila (Bulls) 9-12 75%