PDA

View Full Version : OT: a shoutout from under the eye of Wilma

Slick Pinkham
10-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Hey everybody. I moved to south Florida last month, lucky me.

I've had better nights, for sure. I suffered no real damage other than some tree limbs, downed fencing, and a few shingles blown off. No power since 8 am but phone still works, good ole dial-up!

Will Galen, you OK over in Venice (west coast)?

neighborhood looks messy--trees down, pool enclosures crumpled, but from my porch I see nothing major in terms of damage. The back half of the storm shouldn't be as bad.

Kaufman
10-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Relief is on the way.
http://www.chucklehound.com/images/sk1/red_cross.jpg

MagicRat
10-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Hey everybody. I moved to south Florida last month, lucky me.

I've had better nights, for sure. I suffered no real damage other than some tree limbs, downed fencing, and a few shingles blown off. No power since 8 am but phone still works, good ole dial-up!

Will Galen, you OK over in Venice (west coast)?

neighborhood looks messy--trees down, pool enclosures crumpled, but from my porch I see nothing major in terms of damage. The back half of the storm shouldn't be as bad.

Glad to hear the damage appears minor................:)

317Kim
10-24-2005, 12:05 PM
:nod: Dial-up is great for something after all.

Pacers#1Fan
10-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Good luck and stay safe.

FireTheCoach
10-24-2005, 01:07 PM
The back half of the storm shouldn't be as bad.

I think this one was a little unusual from other gulf hurricanes in that the back side of the storm stayed together well inland.... there was still plenty of torrential rain and sustained hurricane force winds with gust to 90mph on the west side of the core.

I would not be surprised to see extensive heavy wind damage all the way from the gulf side to the Atlantic.

Deadshot
10-24-2005, 02:20 PM
Lucky for me, I'm closer to central Florida. Schools were closed today, but no real legitimate damage was done in my area (just limbs down here and there). Glad everything went alright for you Pacertom.

Slick Pinkham
10-24-2005, 02:26 PM
The back half was pretty bad-- more rain and some tree damage but still the house is OK

Ragnar
10-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Will lives pretty close to Naples if I remember correctly I hope he is ok. My brother is a little north of him and he got pretty much nothing so hopefully he did not either.

DisplacedKnick
10-24-2005, 05:59 PM
I would not be surprised to see extensive heavy wind damage all the way from the gulf side to the Atlantic.

Back home (upstate NY) they're talking about the possibility of a "snowicane."

Wilma's supposed to retain a lot of structure all the way up the seaboard and there's a Canadian Low pushing in from the Northwest. If things come together just right it could be a Nor'easter deluxe - could be almost unique for that area in terms of snowfall - at least in the higher elevations.

Glad you made it through without too much trouble Tom.

Kaufman
10-24-2005, 06:02 PM
There is no such thing as a snowicane, silly.

DisplacedKnick
10-24-2005, 06:08 PM
There is no such thing as a snowicane, silly.

I beg to differ - and so would the folks at the Mt Washington, NH Observatory:

03:21 PM Sun Oct 23, 2005 EDT
Collecting Record Snowfall...
It is official! This is now the snowiest October on record for the summit of Mount Washington. Heavy snow overnight and this morning yielded a storm total of 6.9 inches so far. Now we are currently sitting at 43.1 inches, which surpasses the old record of 39.8 inches set back in October of 2000. The record will continue to be pushed higher as we are expecting snow throughout the week. We will have to keep a close eye on Wilma and her march up the eastern seaboard, as she is expected to combine with tropical storm Alpha and a trough of low pressure approaching from our west to possibly give us a snowicane in a few days. This could complicate the shift change on Wednesday, but to tell you the truth, I would not mind getting stuck up here a few extra days.

Not saying this is an official meteorological term, but since it's coming from a National Weather Service trained observer at an Official Weather Observatory ...

owl
10-24-2005, 06:26 PM
Where is Mt Washington?

Thanks in advance.

owl

Will Galen
10-24-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm fine, no damage at all. Limbs down and stuff is all.

Before I went to bed this morning at 6 am, the weather channel said Venice was getting 31 mph sustained winds and gusts to 51. Not to bad.

DisplacedKnick
10-24-2005, 06:49 PM
Where is Mt Washington?

Thanks in advance.

owl

New Hampshire.

Slick Pinkham
10-24-2005, 07:59 PM
Power is back on!

:dance2:

I've never experienced a snowicane in my 9 years that I lived in Massachusetts, but it does occasonally "thundersnow" with thunder, lightning, and drving snow or sleet.

317Kim
10-24-2005, 08:06 PM
Congrats! :2tup:

I've seen Thundersnow! Those are crazy.

DisplacedKnick
10-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Congrats! :2tup:

I've seen Thundersnow! Those are crazy.

Ran into an intense one in Flagstaff once. It's like the whole world's on fire when lightning hits close.

DisplacedKnick
10-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Power is back on!

:dance2:

I've never experienced a snowicane in my 9 years that I lived in Massachusetts, but it does occasonally "thundersnow" with thunder, lightning, and drving snow or sleet.

What's really cool is when the snowicane spins off the snownadoes. ;)

GO!!!!!
10-24-2005, 09:14 PM
:peek: Glad ya'll ok

it's been a wild and wet year accorss the world thats for sure...