PDA

View Full Version : That's right, I did it.

Hicks
10-24-2005, 12:57 AM
I rolled the dice on Darko. :laugh:

We'll see how that pans out as the season goes along, I suppose.

I was the idiot who took a chance on Bender a year ago, too. Not doing that again. :D

Curse whomever took Danny Granger, though. :soundoff:

sweabs
10-24-2005, 01:11 AM
Good luck! I was kind of thinking about taking him later, because whenever I pick a sleeper, they inevitably fail (which wouldn't upset me in Darko's case).

Hicks
10-24-2005, 01:11 AM
Well, we're back on Roaming Gnome. See you all on Tuesday! ;)

Diamond Dave
10-24-2005, 01:14 AM

See ya then. ;)

I also am somewhat rolling the dice with Grant Hill. IMO he could be the steal of the draft (as he has true superstar potential), but one injury and its all down the drain. :(

Hicks
10-24-2005, 01:16 AM
I would have taken him if you hadn't.

sweabs
10-24-2005, 01:18 AM
I'm rolling the dice on a couple guys.

1) TJ Ford: He could be a guy who racks up assists for me with a couple steals, and 11-13 ppg. But he could also get injured from the get go and be useless. At least he has the sharpshooters around him to get assists.

2) Al Jefferson: They let Fatoine go for a reason...I hope he really starts to shine this year, because this isn't the only league where I've taken the risk on him.

Cactus Jax
10-24-2005, 02:23 AM
I'm rolling the dice on Bobby Jackson that he won't get injured. If not there's no doubt he'll be a great pick.

Did a slight bit with Josh Smith as well but he was very solid last year and should improve.

I liked getting Okur at 59, and Howard at 38.

DisplacedKnick
10-24-2005, 02:12 PM
My one gamble so far is Alston. Not from a production standpoint which should be quite good but I could see him and JVG having serious philosophical disagreements resulting in him riding the bench.

OTOH, JVG has a good record with malcontents. As of now he's the projected starter anyway.

Peck
10-24-2005, 03:01 PM
You think you took a risk?

I took Kwame Brown only to go & look at his stats last nights game:puke:

Doug
10-24-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm just trying to make solid picks.

I rolled all my dice (and then some) in the keeper league.

I thought about Kwame instead of Nene, but if Kenyon Martin gets hurt, Nene should get some of his minutes so it won't be as bad as it could be.

Mourning
10-24-2005, 03:33 PM
I took a risk with Samuel Dalembert. If he finally breaks out and starts collecting double-doubles and blocking even more, like he was supposed to do this last season, before he got in the coach's doghouse (sp?), then I have good hope.

I think he could do that as he did well for Phillie in the last play-offs against Detroit, picking up double-doubles in virtually all those games.

ON THE OTHER HAND ... it was a contract year for him, so I'm really hoping he doesn't hang up with Marc Blount and Erick Dampier in the summer and he isn't exactly the model for consistency either :shudder:.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

burnzone
10-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Curse whomever took Danny Granger, though. :soundoff:
Thanks for the vote of confidence, now watch me go out and get hit by a train or something, since I picked 'The Curse of Danny Granger' :laugh:

But I really don't feel like it was rolling the dice on him, actually at the time, I was wanting Josh Howard, and he was picked right before then, but with Danny, I feel like it's like rolling a 7 or 11.

I'm pretty confident that Danny will be getting close to starters minutes, if not starting on opening night.

I expect to see JT, Jax, Ron, Danny, JO, as the starting 5, with Sarunas, JB, and Fred being the first guys off the bench.

MagicRat
10-24-2005, 04:39 PM
I expect to see JT, Jax, Ron, Danny, JO, as the starting 5, with Sarunas, JB, and Fred being the first guys off the bench.

Until the Hulkster gets back and pushes Danny to the bench......:woot:

Roaming Gnome
10-24-2005, 04:39 PM

Tough Crowd...
Sorry about Saturday, I was out most of the day and got on here when I could.

MagicRat
10-24-2005, 04:41 PM
Tough Crowd...
Sorry about Saturday, I was out most of the day and got on here when I could.

At least you didn't get called out for taking two hours on a twelve hour clock.......:(

burnzone
10-24-2005, 04:43 PM

Yeah, I would like to see Harrison starting on opening night, but since he blew a hole in the side of his abdominal muscle eating all that peanut brittle, it might be a couple weeks, but hopefully sooner than later.

sweabs
10-24-2005, 04:47 PM
:woot:

w00t..............

n00bie

MagicRat
10-24-2005, 04:49 PM
:woot:

:2tup:

DrBadd01
10-24-2005, 05:00 PM

He was going to be my pick until you took him the pick before me!!! ;)

Cactus Jax
10-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Curse whoever took McDyess right before me (BostonCnextion). Fairly happy with Antonio Daniels, but Dice would have completed my team.

DisplacedKnick
10-24-2005, 05:49 PM
I'll say this - after about 150 picks all but 1 of the top 109 on my list have been drafted. I don't think that's ever happened before - there are always 10 or so of my top 100 left when the 7th rd starts.

IOW - you're all doomed! You think like me!!!

Slick Pinkham
10-24-2005, 08:55 PM
I know that some people don't like to use contingency lists at all. But why wouldn't you put at least one guy on your list-- answering the question "If I were drafting now, I'd pick..."

I'm reminded of this because on a couple of instances somebody has taken a lot of time to make a pick. When he finally did, we wait for the next owner in line to make a pick, and see that this owner had checked in recently but either put nobody on contingency or (unlikely) wanted the same guy as the owner right before him.

What could possibly be the harm in putting at least one player on contingency at all times, especially if your turn is 1,2,or 3 picks away?

DisplacedKnick
10-24-2005, 09:30 PM
I know that some people don't like to use contingency lists at all. But why wouldn't you put at least one guy on your list-- answering the question "If I were drafting now, I'd pick..."

I'm reminded of this because on a couple of instances somebody has taken a lot of time to make a pick. When he finally did, we wait for the next owner in line to make a pick, and see that this owner had checked in recently but either put nobody on contingency or (unlikely) wanted the same guy as the owner right before him.

What could possibly be the harm in putting at least one player on contingency at all times, especially if your turn is 1,2,or 3 picks away?

Yeah - I'm sorry now that I advocated 12 hours/pick. Be better to have a 15 or 30 min limit and skip some people. At the current pace (16 picks in a day) we should be able to finish about a week after the season starts.

I wasn't bothered by the pace yesterday - much - but that's changed today. In particular, it bugs me when someone logs on, then logs off again without making a pick when it's his turn - or is logged on for half an hour to an hour before picking.

The only conclusion I can come to is some people didn't do their homework before the draft, and it's holding everything up.

Cactus Jax
10-24-2005, 09:34 PM
So, just for curiosity Displaced Knick, how many of my 7 picks were in your top 109?

And I wonder who the one player is.......

BostonConnection
10-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Curse whoever took McDyess right before me (BostonCnextion). Fairly happy with Antonio Daniels, but Dice would have completed my team.

Sorry about that CJ, "them's the breaks" as they say... ;)

Besides, Daniels is a pretty fair consolation prize, I picked him up in the Keeper League myself.

DisplacedKnick
10-24-2005, 09:40 PM
So, just for curiosity Displaced Knick, how many of my 7 picks were in your top 109?

And I wonder who the one player is.......

Who'd ya pick?

As for the 2nd question - sorry!

Cactus Jax
10-24-2005, 09:43 PM
Who'd ya pick?

As for the 2nd question - sorry!

Iverson, Dwight Howard, Okur, and Josh Smith are probably no brainers.

I picked Bobby Jackson, Bonzi Wells, and Antonio Daniels after that.

I'm taking a risk that Jackson will be healthy, and I was pretty happy that Wells dropped to 139.

DisplacedKnick
10-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Iverson, Dwight Howard, Okur, and Josh Smith are probably no brainers.

I picked Bobby Jackson, Bonzi Wells, and Antonio Daniels after that.

I'm taking a risk that Jackson will be healthy, and I was pretty happy that Wells dropped to 139.

Out of those players the lowest player I had was Daniels at 97, and if I was sure he'd be starting all year he'd have been higher than that. I could see Wash. going with an Arenas-Hayes backcourt - depends on how their 1st 10 games go IMO.

You'd be surprised at how low I rated Iverson.

Oh - and Tom just grabbed the last member of my hot one hundred - I had Wallace at 94.

Cactus Jax
10-24-2005, 09:58 PM
Well for the injury concern I could see him being lowered, although he still seems to play through injury. If I had control of that 11th pick I would have taken Marion or Brand, but I made that trade after he was picked.

I made the deal to move up and get Howard, and I ended up getting Josh Smith cause of the 13 pick gain I got in round 4.

DisplacedKnick
10-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Well for the injury concern I could see him being lowered, although he still seems to play through injury. If I had control of that 11th pick I would have taken Marion or Brand, but I made that trade after he was picked.

The injuries overall is part of it, but even more than that, he's always banged up at the end of the season and always gets rested the last few games - plays limited minutes or even sits a couple games to get healthy.

The last few games of the season just happens to be when we have our finals.

Shaq's even more of a curse. He puts up these monster numbers all season - then always rests the last 2-3 games. I dreaded getting the 6th pick this year - I was afraid I'd have to choose between him or a 2nd tier player.

sweabs
10-24-2005, 10:12 PM
I'm convinced that my draft position was the worst you could get. I got the 14th pick overall, and worst of all, I've had to sit out this entire round while the remaining "good" players are leaving...it's a crucial point in the draft...I'm not sure what round exactly, but I know I have the last pick in it. And then I get the first pick in the next round, only to wait the rest of that round out, and get another 2 lousy picks in a row.

2 sets of picks, back to back. It's frustrating waiting, especially when like I said, this is the time where those last guys are just leaving before your eyes.

Cactus Jax
10-24-2005, 10:14 PM
Well I had the 6th pick, picked Kobe with it and traded him. I was really hoping Dirk would drop to 6th but that didn't happen. I knew Peck wasn't going to take him, but Doug took forever to make his pick (in my mind), and decided to take Dirk.

Doug
10-24-2005, 10:24 PM
but Doug took forever to make his pick (in my mind), and decided to take Dirk.

That's what happens when you're on vacation in Florida without Internet access. :) (I know you weren't pointing fingers at me for taking too long, but thought I should comment anyway.) Hey, I planned my vacation so I'd be back in time for the draft.

I walked in the door and was "on the clock" in both leagues. Considering that i was planning on doing my draft research Friday night, I thought I did pretty well. Usually I've got a full list of the first 200 players, in order. This time I had nothing, nada, zip, zilch.

Actually, my ABA draft is going OK, I think, but I royally screwed up my keeper league picks, especially the first one - I panic'd when I saw I was up. I have a pretty unbalanced and largely injured team now.

Cactus Jax
10-24-2005, 10:41 PM
I wasn't pointing a finger at you, I was just nervous wondering who you were going to take so it seemed 10x longer.

sweabs
10-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Way to go Diamond Dave.........nice pick..................:mad: :mad: :mad:

I swear to god - this 14th pick gives you THE WORST possible picks later on.......this is brutal.

EDIT: Go ahead, give me the crybaby award. I missed out on the last golden area to get some nice players...

Cactus Jax
10-24-2005, 10:56 PM
Way to go Diamond Dave.........nice pick..................:mad: :mad: :mad:

I swear to god - this 14th pick gives you THE WORST possible picks later on.......this is brutal.

EDIT: Go ahead, give me the crybaby award. I missed out on the last golden area to get some nice players...

You don't get the 14th pick every round. It snakes for 2 rounds then randomly creates the order again snakes for the next round and repeat. You just got unlucky selection order I would guess.

Doug
10-24-2005, 11:23 PM
I wasn't pointing a finger at you, I was just nervous wondering who you were going to take so it seemed 10x longer.

I know. It's quite nerve-racking waiting for that pick just in front of you.

DisplacedKnick
10-24-2005, 11:27 PM
Well, I'm out. I just hope this doesn't actually start moving and I get both of the top two guys on my CL before morning.

That would be bad.

sweabs
10-25-2005, 12:23 AM
Come on Mourning - wake up!!! I've waited way too long for these 2 stupid picks of mine...then I have to wait another few days for my next back-to-backs.

Ugh...I got robbed I tell ya...ROBBED!

Doug
10-25-2005, 12:23 AM
I've got 11 in my list. There's 10 picks before me.

It's dark, and I'm wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

MagicRat
10-25-2005, 12:08 PM
Ugh...I got robbed I tell ya...ROBBED!

I'm pretty sure I ended up with the worst draft positions, but maybe it's just me.....:whoknows:

The best I could do in any of the groupings was the third pick of the 7th/8th round group. Other than that I had 18, 21, 18, 21, and 22........