PDA

View Full Version : Really bad announcers

Alabama-Redneck
03-24-2004, 11:06 PM
I hope someone gives Sean Idiot and the other ESPN announcer Maverick jerseys so they will feel more at home.

That was pitiful. Just before Reggie hit his final 3 pointer, the other announcer yelled "Don't leave him alone". I mean, how much more can you be for a team.

All they did most of the game was praise the Mavericks. :mad: :mad: :mad:

TheSauceMaster
03-24-2004, 11:10 PM
That's why I turn down the Tv and Turn up the Radio with Mark and Slick

efx
03-24-2004, 11:10 PM
The "don't leave him alone" comment is just pure common sense. Don't read too much into what they said. They complimented the Pacers more than enough.

Cactus Jax
03-24-2004, 11:11 PM
I didn't think Elliot was rooting for the Mavs at all, that's good advice for any team, don't leave Reggie open.

I didn't hear that much praise about the Mavs outside of their runs, Bradley and the rookies.

He praised Al, Artest, the Pacers defense, and the team as a whole saying they could beat any team not named the Lakers.

Unclebuck
03-24-2004, 11:16 PM
I thought the announcers were very good, and i certainly did not think they were rooting for the Mavs or the pacers.

Hicks
03-24-2004, 11:17 PM
I thought the announcers were very good, and i certainly did not think they were rooting for the Mavs or the pacers.

Ditto.

Yeah, they were pretty decent.

Suaveness
03-24-2004, 11:20 PM

Ditto.

Yeah, they were pretty decent.'

Yeah...we got lucky that Walton wasn't there.... :D

Millerartest
03-24-2004, 11:41 PM
Just thought I'd add that when the Kings beat the Pacers last week or so, I caught the game in an area on the road on the Sacramento station. In the last couple minutes, despite having a terrible game, they feared Reggie more than anybody on the floor. One announced said that he may be the greatest clutch shooter in the history of the game. Not my words. A King's announcers words. That shows you how much people fear Reggie.

MagicRat
03-24-2004, 11:43 PM
The worst announcing I heard (actually read) was on the game chat. In my brief visit there, I'm pretty sure I read that somebody on here wants AJ to die.......

Hicks
03-25-2004, 12:13 AM
The worst announcing I heard (actually read) was on the game chat. In my brief visit there, I'm pretty sure I read that somebody on here wants AJ to die.......

:rotflmao:

ChicagoJ
03-25-2004, 12:23 AM
I think Brad Nessler is just plain terrible.

Sean Elliot is usually okay.

And I liked the props he gave to my man The Rifleman at the beginning of the show - talking about the four hour practice sessions that Chuck and Ron would have last summer. No wonder Ron's offense has improved so dramatically from last season. :)

Bball
03-25-2004, 12:28 AM
Wow... I was thinking how much I thought tonight's ESPN duo made a better team than the top team with Walton.

And I am not one of the people that 'hate' Bill Walton. I 'get' the fact he uses sarcasm and hyperbole intentionally and assumes the listener 'gets it' too.

Which is not to say I can't understand how some would NOT like that.

BUT I digress....

I didn't think the announcers were doing anything but rooting for a good game. Early they did comment on the Pacers sluggishness BUT they were simply telling the truth.

Amazing how two people can see/hear the same things differently.

-Bball

Anthem
03-25-2004, 12:31 AM
Wow... I was thinking how much I thought tonight's ESPN duo made a better team than the top team with Walton.

How can you say that? Bill Walton is the single greatest sports announcer in the history of professional sports!

Arcadian
03-25-2004, 01:05 AM
I actually like Elliot better than most he just needs to be paired with some one with inflection in thier voice.

Bball
03-25-2004, 01:52 AM

How can you say that? Bill Walton is the single greatest sports announcer in the history of professional sports!

Walton is certainly THE voice of professional basketball in the modern era of television and radio. "Throw it down big fella!"

However....

I remember back in Rome at the Coliseum that a PA annoucer hired by Ceasar himself was one of the best ever. Unfortunately, this was before television or radio. His work was done with a megaphone. When the lion would appear the announcer would 'roar' and the whole crowd would mimic him. It was very distinctive and just one of his innovations. All announcers try and live up to the standards he set. "LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLet the GAMES BEGINNNnnnnnnnnnnn!"

I can't remember his name tho... perhaps Indygeezer.. or Peck... can tell us?

:p

;)

-Bball

MagicRat
03-25-2004, 08:50 AM

:rotflmao:

"Hating = Lame"

;)

naptownmenace
03-25-2004, 09:01 AM

Walton is certainly THE voice of professional basketball in the modern era of television and radio. "Throw it down big fella!"

However....

I remember back in Rome at the Coliseum that a PA annoucer hired by Ceasar himself was one of the best ever. Unfortunately, this was before television or radio. His work was done with a megaphone. When the lion would appear the announcer would 'roar' and the whole crowd would mimic him. It was very distinctive and just one of his innovations. All announcers try and live up to the standards he set. "LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLet the GAMES BEGINNNnnnnnnnnnnn!"

;)

-Bball

Bball strikes again!
:laugh:

hoopsforlife
03-25-2004, 09:08 AM

However....

;)

-Bball

His name was

Claaaaaaaaaaudiiiiiiiiiiiiiiuuuuuuuuuusssssssss... ...... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ragnar
03-25-2004, 10:01 AM

I swear it wasnt me. :blush:

diego
03-25-2004, 10:08 AM
I thought Sean Elliot did a wondeful job. I actually thought during the game that it was the first time in awhile i really enjoyed the commentating.

MagicRat
03-25-2004, 11:14 AM

I know it wasn't you.

He is commonly known student.......

Hicks
03-25-2004, 11:36 AM

I know it wasn't you.

I'll solve the "mystery": It was me. :D

I get more........ emotional, in the chat room than I am on the forum. Because I can react so quickly to what's happening in the game on the chat, I usually am much more honest and emotional about things than I am on here. :cool:

indygeezer
03-25-2004, 11:51 AM

However....

;)

-Bball

His name was

Claaaaaaaaaaudiiiiiiiiiiiiiiuuuuuuuuuusssssssss... ...... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Actually Claudius didn't last too long with the gig. Got too big for his own toga. Even wrote a book about himself.
<think hard there children...now what book is Geezer referring to???>

indygeezer
03-25-2004, 11:56 AM
I was amazed to hear Sean praising the P's as much as he did. I've always thought of him as a Western Conference/Leastern Conferance kinda jerk. But the announcers even made a comment about the P's being so young that what they could become is downright freightening.
'Course they also made the comment about there being NO WAY the management lets any of these players get away this summer. Um, last I checked everybody is already signed and we have No Worries there mate.

Suaveness
03-25-2004, 12:15 PM
I was amazed to hear Sean praising the P's as much as he did. I've always thought of him as a Western Conference/Leastern Conferance kinda jerk. But the announcers even made a comment about the P's being so young that what they could become is downright freightening.
'Course they also made the comment about there being NO WAY the management lets any of these players get away this summer. Um, last I checked everybody is already signed and we have No Worries there mate.

I think he was just saying that he didn't want anyone leave, through trades and such. He thinks this team has a good future, and doesn't want it broken up.

Graywolf_59
03-25-2004, 12:37 PM
How did the Pacer's look last nite vs. Dallas...Had to work and missed the whole game :cry:

MagicRat
03-25-2004, 12:45 PM

I know it wasn't you.

I'll solve the "mystery": It was me. :D

I get more........ emotional, in the chat room than I am on the forum. Because I can react so quickly to what's happening in the game on the chat, I usually am much more honest and emotional about things than I am on here. :cool:

Did you figure out it was you from my clever clue? :P

He Is Commonly Known Student :rolleyes:

Alabama-Redneck
03-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Since I started this thread, I really need to add this comment. Last night during the game there were many, many interruptions and I did not get to follow the game closely.

Today, I went back and watched the game on tape and I must say I owe the announcers an apology. It seems, last night, everytime I got to watch the game uninterrupted, they were praising the Mavs or complaining about the Pacers.

That really was not the true picture. I was wrong in condemming them and would like to go on record as saying I was wrong. :blush:

Hopefully next time I can watch the game uninterrupted.

:cool:

MarionDeputy
03-25-2004, 01:20 PM
I started off watching espn, just to take in a different set of announcers, but at the begining of the game the camera operator missed Reggie's quick pass to Al for the dunk, and then missed a key foul, I flipped back to Fox Sports Midwest and compared the two and on my TV the Fox feed was a much better picture. Anyone else notice that?? Anyway I stayed with Al and Quinn for the rest of the game.

sixthman
03-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Today, I went back and watched the game on tape and I must say I owe the announcers an apology. It seems, last night, everytime I got to watch the game uninterrupted, they were praising the Mavs or complaining about the Pacers.

That really was not the true picture. I was wrong in condemming them and would like to go on record as saying I was wrong. :blush:
:cool:

Sorry but apologies and reconsideration of previous opinions based upon receipt of new information are not allowed. You are an indecisive waffler. ;)

By the way, great thread. Thanks. I was at the game and forgot to set the VCR. I was wondering how the ESPN coverage went.

Roaming Gnome
03-25-2004, 04:53 PM

And I am not one of the people that 'hate' Bill Walton. I 'get' the fact he uses sarcasm and hyperbole intentionally and assumes the listener 'gets it' too.

Which is not to say I can't understand how some would NOT like that.

BUT I digress....

I didn't think the announcers were doing anything but rooting for a good game. Early they did comment on the Pacers sluggishness BUT they were simply telling the truth.

Amazing how two people can see/hear the same things differently.

-Bball

I agree with you 100%. I think B. Walton is very entertaining and has a very warped sense of humor with his sarcasm and overembelishment. I use to watch the Clipper games on league pass because him and Ralph Lawler were very sarcastic talking about the Clippers and how "hoorrrriiibbblllleeee" they were game to game.

I guess I just don't understand why everyone hates him so much, unless you take everything he says as gospel.