View Full Version : Star} Pacers Notebook-Pacers enjoy balanced scoring

Will Galen
10-21-2005, 04:11 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051021/SPORTS04/510210519

IndyStar.com Sports Pacers
October 21, 2005

pacers notebook
Pacers enjoy balanced scoring
O'Neal, with 16 points, is one of 6 players in double figures against Timberwolves

By Mike Wells
mike.wells@indystar.com
BILLINGS, Mont. -- The Indiana Pacers gave a preview of the type of balanced scoring they could have this season against the Minnesota Timberwolves on Thursday.
Forward Jermaine O'Neal scored 16 points to lead six Pacers in double figures in their victory over the Timberwolves.

"Balance has to be one of the things that carries us," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "Everybody that played, played hard. We're not necessarily doing everything right, but tonight we did things really hard."

Four of the Pacers starters -- O'Neal, Austin Croshere (13 points), Jamaal Tinsley (10) and Stephen Jackson (10) -- cracked double figures. Rookies Danny Granger and Sarunas Jasikevicius added 11 and 10 points, respectively.
The Pacers would rather have three or four players average around 15 points per game than one player average 25 points this season.

"I think we can be a real dangerous team because it's going to be hard for teams to figure out who to key in on," O'Neal said.
Artest and Jones out

Pacers forward Ron Artest and guard Fred Jones sat out Thursday's game.
Carlisle said Artest is dealing with a right foot injury suffered in Tuesday's game against San Antonio. Artest said he'll be ready to play in Tuesday's game at San Antonio.

Artest's injury kept him and O'Neal, who made his preseason debut, from playing together. The two have not played together since before the brawl at the Palace of Auburn Hills (Mich.) last November.

Artest spent time before the game signing autographs and taking pictures with the Montana State-Billings men's basketball team.
Jones stayed behind at the team hotel with the flu.

Not a racy issue

While Jackson said the league's ban on chains is a racial statement, Timberwolves coach Dwane Casey doesn't see it that way.

"I don't think the commissioner had any race intentions whatsoever with the new dress code," Casey told Minnesota reporters. "I just think he's trying to improve the image."

Jackson's comments Tuesday have been the subject of conversation around the country for several days.

Picking up the tempo

The absence of big men during the preseason forced the Pacers to essentially scrap their inside game with the exception of Artest.

What it did allow them to do, though, is to take a look at their up-tempo game. The Pacers want to take advantage of their depth and play a more up-tempo style at times this season. They resorted to that style last season when O'Neal was out with his shoulder injury.

"We're still feeling things out in that area, Carlisle said. "Even though we want to play that style, we still haven't been able to gauge as much as we want because we have been without our big guys."

317Kim
10-21-2005, 06:19 AM
Thanks for posting that. Is it me or has Fred been getting the flu a lot?

PacersandIU
10-21-2005, 11:43 AM
lol, I guess I never really realized that...Jamaal, JO, and Fred seem to get it a lot...

Jon Theodore
10-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Fred and Tins definetely get the flu a lot.

It's called an unhealthy immune system.

wintermute
10-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Picking up the tempo

The absence of big men during the preseason forced the Pacers to essentially scrap their inside game with the exception of Artest.

What it did allow them to do, though, is to take a look at their up-tempo game. The Pacers want to take advantage of their depth and play a more up-tempo style at times this season. They resorted to that style last season when O'Neal was out with his shoulder injury.

"We're still feeling things out in that area, Carlisle said. "Even though we want to play that style, we still haven't been able to gauge as much as we want because we have been without our big guys."

i'm surprised no one else picked up on this. are we finally going to see the end of dump-it-to-jo offense as we know it?

personally, i felt that it was a coaching decision to feed the post rather than a matter of jo hogging the ball. it wouldn't have been very bad if jo had better passing skills. but hopefully, the offense will open up somewhat this year.

Bball
10-22-2005, 03:43 AM
Fred and Tins definetely get the flu a lot.

It's called an unhealthy immune system.

Maybe they are getting it from Larry Bird... You know... Bird flu!?

Muwhahahahahahaha

-Bball :zip: