PDA

View Full Version : Who's had their tonsils removed?

Evan_The_Dude
10-20-2005, 11:01 PM
I've had a sore throat for the past week. Though it's not getting better, it's not spreading or getting worse either. I know it's not straep because I've had that before and it spread from side to side in the back of my throat. The pain I'm feeling right now is in one spot only.

Today I took a flashlight to see if I could see anything, and I noticed my tonsils are dark red. I didn't think too much of it until I mentioned it to my mother. She thinks it's a possibility that they may need to be removed.

Now, I did a little google search on this and I don't get constant ear aches or even sore throats for long periods of time. Usually when I get a sore throat it lasts for a day and is followed by a cold that goes away quickly (I'm good at fighting sickness out of my system quickly).

From what I briefly read, removing tonsils can be more risky the older you are (I'm 24). I also saw that unless you have constant sore throats or ear infections, that it's not necessary to remove them.

Therefore I thought I'd ask the PD audience who has had them removed and what were the circumstances?

Dr Huxtable
10-20-2005, 11:34 PM
I had mine out when I was 7 or 8 years old, but my tonsils were the about the size of a golf ball each. That's pretty damn big for a kid that age.

If you feel like they may need to be removed, you should go to your doctor t have them checked out. As far as I know, there aren't any doctors on PD (except for me ;)).

Hicks
10-20-2005, 11:44 PM
I had them out when I was 7 or 8 as well. Sucked for a week or so afterwords. But I don't remember much other than I couldn't talk for days.

317Kim
10-21-2005, 06:45 AM
I havent but my cousin Michael just got his taken out 2 monthes ago when he was seven...now he's 8.

Kaufman
10-21-2005, 08:38 AM
I am a doctor.

Basically with the advent and advances in antibiotics, tonsils and adenoids are rarely removed these days unless they cause some kind of obstruction. Sore throats can be due to a few things, one of them amongst others would be infection. Bacterial infection versus viral infection. Bacterial infection tends to be a little more aggressive and the patient usually appears sicker. These are the patients that are worthy of antibiotics. These people have fevers greater that 101, fatigue, malaise. Viral infections, while they can be more than transient, meaning they can last a few weeks, tend to come and go. Other things to be cognizant of is Epstein Barr virus, also commonly referred to as "mono". In your age group this is also something to consider. Also, simply post-nasal drip, if you have allergies. Often this occurs in the morning and you notice it when you first wake up.

So that's my rant. I hope it helps. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

Suaveness
10-21-2005, 03:19 PM
I am a doctor.

Basically with the advent and advances in antibiotics, tonsils and adenoids are rarely removed these days unless they cause some kind of obstruction. Sore throats can be due to a few things, one of them amongst others would be infection. Bacterial infection versus viral infection. Bacterial infection tends to be a little more aggressive and the patient usually appears sicker. These are the patients that are worthy of antibiotics. These people have fevers greater that 101, fatigue, malaise. Viral infections, while they can be more than transient, meaning they can last a few weeks, tend to come and go. Other things to be cognizant of is Epstein Barr virus, also commonly referred to as "mono". In your age group this is also something to consider. Also, simply post-nasal drip, if you have allergies. Often this occurs in the morning and you notice it when you first wake up.

I'm curious, what field are you in, and are you in a practice/hospital/etc?

Kaufman
10-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Tonsils don't "disappear". They are lymph nodes, just ones that you see on the outsides of your body (in the mouth) as opposed to completely inside. They get small, but if you get for instance, an infection inside your mouth, they'll get bigger again. And most likely, you might not know what you're looking for so you dont' know you're looking at your tonsils.

Suave: I work for a hospital/university/sports team type setting.

Kaufman
10-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Wow. Unbelieveable. Its like suddenly losing your liver or something.

brichard
10-21-2005, 03:51 PM
I had mine out as a wee tot. Under age 5 I believe. All I recall is the awful smell of ether as they put me under. I also had tubes in my ears, and overall I think I've been a pretty healthy dude.

Zesty
10-21-2005, 05:20 PM
The last time I went to the doctor for a sore throat, the guy asked me how I old I was when I had my tonsils taken out. I replied, "Uh... never." He wasn't my normal doctor, but that kinda weirded me out. Pretty sure they're still in there, though.

Since86
10-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I am a doctor.

Now we all know why we wait so long, and why doctors signatures are so crappy. They need to fill their message board jones. :mad:

Kaufman
10-21-2005, 06:53 PM
Well actually I'm on vacation for two weeks. Thanks for the insult though.

Btown, as far as your tonsils go, well I've looked up your condition and not found anything on it. Granted its not my specialty, but my druthers lead me to believe that your tonsils are still there, you just can't see them. There is a condition in which the spleen (which is one large lymph node, sort of like the tonsils) auto-infarcts, this is common in people with sickle cell anemia, which obviously you don't have. Basically if your spleen doesn't get enough blood, it shrivels up and dies. But this condition isn't really described with the tonsils. So my guess is, your tonsils are still there but you just can't see them.

Suaveness
10-21-2005, 08:08 PM
I'm so on my way to becoming a doctor, my handwriting sucks terribly.

Kaufman
10-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Actually when I was in medical school at IU, they started a new curriculum for handwriting. While I have great penmanship, its funny that its gotten to a point where we were getting graded on our legibility.

Harmonica
10-21-2005, 08:16 PM
Well actually I'm on vacation for two weeks. Thanks for the insult though.
It appears you've had your funny bone removed. I'm pretty sure he said that in jest.

Evan_The_Dude
10-21-2005, 08:23 PM
I responded to the PM you sent me Kaufman. Thanks a million for your advice, but now I have another question that's probably going to make me sound like an idiot.

You said this:
And most likely, you might not know what you're looking for so you dont' know you're looking at your tonsils.

The red is on the "bell" looking thing right at the center of the back of my mouth. This is what I was discribing as tonsils, which didn't really make sense to me because there's only one "bell thingy". My mom is the one that has me thinking this. So the tonsils are on both sides of the back of my mouth, am I correct? And what is the "bell thingy" called?

Hicks
10-21-2005, 09:55 PM
I've only heard it be referred to as (Never seen it spelled, bare with me) dipthong.

The Toxic Avenger
10-21-2005, 10:31 PM
I believe that would be called the uvula... (You've-you-la) But Dipthong sounds oddly familiar... :)

317Kim
10-22-2005, 12:06 AM
dipthong? :laugh: wow!

Kaufman
10-22-2005, 12:12 AM
http://www.vsrimpact.com/OS/Sheri/Images/mouth.jpg

Uvula is it. Diphthong is more of a term in phonetics, has never been used with reference to the uvula outside of on this website that I know of.

One anecdotal story, a few years ago as a medicine resident at IU, I had a patient who I was casting his leg, and he mentioned that he was having some problems swallowing. I asked the kid about it, and he just said it was painful. And he was only getting liquids down, it was difficult for him to eat meat and stuff like that. I told him he should chew his food better and try that. He was adamant about having done that. So I looked into his mouth, and I found this:
http://www.pizz.nl/images/uvula%20piercing.jpg
He said he got it a week earlier.

Boys and girls, the lesson is, if you are going to pierce your uvula, it's gonna be painful for a while.

SoupIsGood
10-22-2005, 12:31 AM
I'm so on my way to becoming a doctor, my handwriting sucks terribly.

I'm hoping to someday be a doctor too..... well, a psychiatrist, and my handwriting is just really damn bad. Bad. Bad. Bad bad bad badly bad.

317Kim
10-22-2005, 12:35 AM
Yeah I'm hopin a physician or PA..if med stuff doesnt work than a sports analyst will do..move over Stace! :laugh:

SoupIsGood
10-22-2005, 12:45 AM
PA.... I'm brain spazzing, what's that stand for

SoupIsGood
10-22-2005, 12:49 AM
Let's hope that we don't have to work a Wal-Mart by the time we get into the med business. :rolleyes:

---------

POSTED: 6:12 am CDT October 21, 2005

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Attention Wal-Mart shoppers: The doctor is in.

Solantic, an urgent care company based in Jacksonville, has struck a deal with the world's largest retailer to locate walk-in clinics in two of its stores in Florida.

Each center has a board-certified physician on duty and is open on holidays and weekends -- the same hours as Wal-Mart is open.

Solantic said the flexible hours will make it easier for people who rarely see a doctor to do so without going to an emergency room.

In addition, the days of cooling your heels in a waiting room are over. Solantic said after you check in, you can go out and shop in the store and you'll be paged or called on your cell phone when it's time for your appointment.

Solantic said if the Florida experiment is successful, the concept could be taken nationwide.

link

Kaufman
10-22-2005, 02:15 AM
Stacie (y?) Paetz got her start early. So if you want to unseat her you gotta figure out your goals now.

PA stands for physician's assistant.

Psychiatrist eh? My best friend, Mike, is a psychiatrist here in town. And if you're a bad writer, no sweat, you're right in line for a subspecialty that is known for illegible physicians.

Suaveness
10-22-2005, 03:42 AM
Ugh...psychology just bores the crap out of me. How many times I fell asleep in that class, I don't remember....

Kaufman
10-22-2005, 05:15 AM
There's a huge difference between being a psychiatrist and "psychology class".

317Kim
10-22-2005, 01:31 PM
"So how does that make you feel?" lol

TonyClifton
10-22-2005, 09:04 PM
HEY - feel schmeel. Who cares how ya feel

TonyClifton
10-22-2005, 09:13 PM
HEY - That Andy he don't know anything. I taught him all his tricks and he still don't learn. If i were you I'd have some whiskey and cut the da&(* things out myself if I were ya!!!

Kaufman
10-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Just ignore him everyone. He's been drinking.

317Kim
10-22-2005, 09:45 PM
:nod: Oh I see! Thanks for the lookout.

Evan_The_Dude
10-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Just an update...

Sore throat is almost gone, and now I have a cold that should go away pretty fast because I've been fighting it before I knew I had it. Usually when I get a sore throat it's followed by a cold by the next day. I've never had a sore throat for a whole week and then had the cold develop. I put myself through an intense basketball workout yesterday evening hoping to fight off whatever I had through sweat and it appears it has worked well. I'll be back to normal in no time!

Thanks everybody for your advice! :buddies: I owe you all a beer... or a cola!

317Kim
10-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Good ta hear you're doin so well! :2tup: I'll take a cola! lol
I fight my colds, flu through playin basketball too!

Believe_in_blue
10-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Yeah I'm hopin a physician or PA..if med stuff doesnt work than a sports analyst will do..move over Stace! :laugh:

Why not try and play for the fever?:D

317Kim
10-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Why not try and play for the fever?:D

true true. I've thought about that over and over. But Fever are doin so well and I'm not a 2nd Rounder and I doubt that I'd be their for their 1st round pick (;) ) so I doubt they'll have a chance to draft me...