PDA

View Full Version : Granger Ranks 3rd so far in Rebounding Avg (preseason)

Frank Slade
10-20-2005, 10:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/preSeasonStats?statId=1

3 Danny Granger (IND) 3 gms 26 total 8.7 Avg

Pacers#1Fan
10-20-2005, 10:25 PM
Granger is freakin' awsome.

Swingman
10-20-2005, 10:50 PM
James Jones is average 17.3 ppg in the preseason. I think he's really going to be something.

Ragnar
10-20-2005, 11:28 PM
too bad we dont have both of them

Destined4Greatness
10-20-2005, 11:29 PM
I think together they would hold each other back. But seperate WOW.

Ragnar
10-20-2005, 11:33 PM
I think together they would hold each other back. But seperate WOW.

How they play seperate positions. Granger is a sf/pf and JJ is a sg/sf. I would have much rather let FJ/AJ/Gill go and kep JJ as the backup sg.

If there is any overlap with any player on the roster its Granger and Bender.

Pacers#1Fan
10-20-2005, 11:45 PM
Granger had another Double-double tonight.

SoupIsGood
10-20-2005, 11:47 PM
Granger had another Double-double tonight.

Are there stats up anywhere?

317Kim
10-21-2005, 06:34 AM
I haven't seen any stats nor a box score besides the one in Will's thread.

Naptown Seth
10-21-2005, 07:17 AM
Danny Granger sucks. He's not half as good as I was expecting. :thumbsdow

MagicRat
10-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Danny Granger sucks. He's not half as good as I was expecting. :thumbsdow
Hopefully one day he can earn a spot in your sig!............:boomer:

naptownmenace
10-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Danny Granger sucks. He's not half as good as I was expecting. :thumbsdown:

I can't tell if you're be facetious or not? There's no ;) so I assume you're serious. If so, I think you're one of the worst evaluators of talent I've ever seen.

Naptown Seth
10-21-2005, 09:14 AM
I was kidding by the way. I thought his play has been so nice so far, that a ;) wasnt even necesary to detect the sarcasm. I guess I was wrong.

Fool
10-21-2005, 09:19 AM
How has he been used in the rotation in general? (I'm clearly not catching many, or any, Pacer pre-season games) 1st/2nd/3rd unit?

If those are 1st unit stats, thats very impressive. 2nd or 3rd is still solid as well.

Fool
10-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Ok. But who's he been matched up against? Other teams starters, bench, or the guys that might barely make the team.

Who's he scoring these points and grabbing these rebounds against? I ask not to discredit but for perspective. Those Detroit fans who've fallen in love again with Darko like to trumpet his numbers and some sight them as reason for him to play incredibly high minutes but when the guy is matched up against the starters (only once at this point) he's much less effective, so far.

naptownmenace
10-21-2005, 10:22 AM
I was kidding by the way. I thought his play has been so nice so far, that a ;) wasnt even necesary to detect the sarcasm. I guess I was wrong.

Whew! That's a relief. I was starting to worry about you. :peace:

Fool
10-21-2005, 10:24 AM
So no one knows who Granger is putting these double doubles up on?

naptownmenace
10-21-2005, 10:31 AM
Ok. But who's he been matched up against? Other teams starters, bench, or the guys that might barely make the team.

Who's he scoring these points and grabbing these rebounds against? I ask not to discredit but for perspective. Those Detroit fans who've fallen in love again with Darko liek to trumpet his numbers and some sight them as reason for him to play incredibly high minutes but when the guy is matched up against the starters he's much less effective so far.

He's started the last 3 games and has played at least 25 minutes in each so he's faced guys like Robert Horry, Nazr Mohammed, Kirilenko (briefly), Eddie Griffin and a bunch of other stiffs from Minnesota.

For a rookie he's shown he has the ability to play with the big boys and his rebounding has been excellent. I expect a 10 pts, 6 rebs a game rookie season from him but he could be even better than that.

MagicRat
10-21-2005, 10:49 AM
He's started the last 3 games and has played at least 25 minutes in each so he's faced guys like Robert Horry, Nazr Mohammed, Kirilenko (briefly), Eddie Griffin and a bunch of other stiffs from Minnesota.

For a rookie he's shown he has the ability to play with the big boys and his rebounding has been excellent. I expect a 10 pts, 6 rebs a game rookie season from him but he could be even better than that.

I'm a little confused by the starting 3 games part, but the rest I agree with........

ChicagoJ
10-21-2005, 10:58 AM
How they play seperate positions. Granger is a sf/pf and JJ is a sg/sf. I would have much rather let FJ/AJ/Gill go and kep JJ as the backup sg.

I've never agreed with this assessment.

JJ is the same size as Granger, and played PF in college. If anything, there would've been significant overlap between Granger and JJ.

However, JJ would not have held Granger back. There's still a reason Granger is a versatile player that should've gone in the lottery and JJ is a one dimensional sharp shooter that fell to the second round, but may find a nice little niche on a fast-paced Phoenix team.

BlueNGold
10-21-2005, 11:06 AM

Who's he scoring these points and grabbing these rebounds against? I ask not to discredit but for perspective. Those Detroit fans who've fallen in love again with Darko like to trumpet his numbers and some sight them as reason for him to play incredibly high minutes but when the guy is matched up against the starters (only once at this point) he's much less effective, so far.

Granger has not had a chance to play 30+ minutes against starters...because this is a preseason game. ...and he may not get that chance in the regular season with JO and RA manning the 3 and 4 spots.

...but this matters very little for fans who know talent (that is likely to translate to production on the court) when they see it. You give Granger 30 minutes and he will easily average a double double and likely score closer to 20ppg than 10ppg during the regular season. This may include significant time against starters. Darko, however, will get shut down and kept off the boards because he is weak. Granger plays mad and brings it strong, Darko plays tentative.

BlueNGold
10-21-2005, 11:16 AM

I would rather have RA or DG or JAX playing SG against taller SG's and FJ against quick SG's. The only thing we lose with JJ leaving is outside shooting. I think RA, DG and JAX are better scorers and post up players on offense and better defenders. I know FJ is a much better defender of quick players than JJ ....so JJ would get hardly any time on a healthy Pacers team this year...and that is why he was traded.

Hicks
10-21-2005, 11:26 AM

You'd be surprised the number of people who randomly drop by to share their "insights" on the board. :D

Hicks
10-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Granger has not had a chance to play 30+ minutes against starters...because this is a preseason game. ...and he may not get that chance in the regular season with JO and RA manning the 3 and 4 spots.

...but this matters very little for fans who know talent (that is likely to translate to production on the court) when they see it. You give Granger 30 minutes and he will easily average a double double and likely score closer to 20ppg than 10ppg during the regular season. This may include significant time against starters. Darko, however, will get shut down and kept off the boards because he is weak. Granger plays mad and brings it strong, Darko plays tentative.

You were doing a good job furthering (that's a word.... now) the discussion until you had to take a swipe...

I agree about Danny though. I could see him putting up 20 and 10 if he played 30-35 minutes.

Harmonica
10-21-2005, 11:41 AM

Um, the reason JJ is putting up those numbers is because he's playing starter's minutes. He wouldn't get them here. Our bigger need was at SF, not SG. I'd probably take JJ over SJ in a couple of years. Together JJ and DG would have made nice faces for the franchise.

Fool
10-21-2005, 12:08 PM
You were doing a good job furthering (that's a word.... now) the discussion until you had to take a swipe...

I agree about Danny though. I could see him putting up 20 and 10 if he played 30-35 minutes.

Personally, I think he was doing good until "for fans who know talent".

Hicks
10-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Eh, Jack is better than JJ will ever be. He just brings a lot more skills to the table. JJ shoots 3's and plays decent D. Jack is decent at threes, is a better defender, can drive to the basket, and can be more versitile in his role (make a pass, grab a board, he's good at stealing the ball).

Ragnar
10-21-2005, 12:15 PM
Um, the reason JJ is putting up those numbers is because he's playing starter's minutes. He wouldn't get them here. Our bigger need was at SF, not SG. I'd probably take JJ over SJ in a couple of years. Together JJ and DG would have made nice faces for the franchise.

In no way was a I suggesting he would get those numbers here. I know he would be a backup. My point is that since he IS a good defender and a clutch shooter I would rather have him as our backup SG than Fred. If you need a basket at the end of a quarter you know JJ has a damn good shot of making that basket even if he has been sitting on the bench out of the flow of the game. You can not underestimate the value of a player like that.

Peck
10-21-2005, 01:25 PM
I've never agreed with this assessment.

JJ is the same size as Granger, and played PF in college. If anything, there would've been significant overlap between Granger and JJ.

However, JJ would not have held Granger back. There's still a reason Granger is a versatile player that should've gone in the lottery and JJ is a one dimensional sharp shooter that fell to the second round, but may find a nice little niche on a fast-paced Phoenix team.

That's a little harsh. Actually it's more than a little harsh I don't agree with that assesment at all.

Granted, on offense, he hasn't developed the driving game that he needs to but I think he is a great rebounder for a small forward & played decent defense for a guy who was supposed to be on the I.R.L.

Actually if you think about it how can a guy build himself up from a I.R.L. player to a solid contributer to a free agent that is coveted by another team if they are one dimensional (unless they are so good at that one dimension that no one else is as good).

Look don't get me wrong I think that Granger would have gotten his spot on the floor & I think we have to many of the same type of players so I had no real problem letting him go. But I just don't think he was one dimensional either.

Ragnar
10-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Granger sure looks taller than JJ was.

BlueNGold
10-21-2005, 02:53 PM

You are right. Sorry for the swipe. I will try to be more civil in the future.

...but (there is always a but, isn't there ;)) the poster named Fool basically said that because Darko has not faired well against starters that we have no basis to assume Granger will compete well against starters. I strongly differ on that point. I think even amateur talent scouts as myself can forecast accurately in some cases. We have already seen enough to know Granger is starter material in this league....maybe not on this team at this time...but starter material nonetheless. Although Darko has shown a high skill level, he has not proven that much...and is too finesse in my opinion.

The truth is, I see Granger's game and can analogize it to other successful pro's...some who are all-stars. I cannot do the same with Darko....but I am willing to listen to any comparisons.

Will Galen
10-21-2005, 03:03 PM
With 11 rebounds last night against the T-Wolves, Danny is now averaging 9.2 rebounds per game.

Fool
10-21-2005, 03:03 PM
The poster named Fool "basically said" no such thing. The poster named Fool asked who Granger's numbers were being put up against so that he would have a more accurate perception of the situation (having not seen the games himself). The poster named Fool likes to take things like talent of the opposition and the lack of centers active on said player's team when he sees an out of the ordinary statistic.

However, the poster named Fool does not have an official "fan who knows talent" membership card so perhaps those who do hold such cards know better.

SoupIsGood
10-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Fool - Danny seemed to have played against Horry for a good while against SA.

That's all I remember.

18to88
10-21-2005, 05:53 PM

are you serious? fred and aj behind james jones??? no

reggieonly
10-22-2005, 05:46 AM
With 11 rebounds last night against the T-Wolves, Danny is now averaging 9.2 rebounds per game.

:grinyes: Hes been fabulous @ Reboundin so far. hopefully he can keeps up into the season game.

Rickshaw
10-23-2005, 01:02 AM
Fool - Danny seemed to have played against Horry for a good while against SA.

That's all I remember.

Danny fouled Horry out in the 4th. From what I heard, Robert hadn't been having a good preseason though.

It seems like Granger draws about 2 offensive fouls a game (which are basically steals.)

Bogut does seem to be a good passer. He has a decent assist/to ratio - especially for a center. His scoring isn't much to speak of though. I can't remember how he rebounded. Anyway not much of a fantasy stud I don't think.

Nothing else stood out for me except Villenueva (Toronto) is scoring pretty well - but then, someone has to on that team. That dude needs some eyebrows though. :D

Fool
10-23-2005, 01:36 AM
Thanks Soup.

SoupIsGood
10-23-2005, 01:46 AM
Danny fouled Horry out in the 4th. From what I heard, Robert hadn't been having a good preseason though.

Yep - Horry's preseason doesn't start until about April.

Ultimate Frisbee
10-23-2005, 01:49 AM

I am a big fan of the way this is progressing... We could definently use more rebounding... One of my pet peeves is getting out rebounded ;-)

Think of the possibilites with Foster/JO/Granger up front... What a nice rebounding trio... makes my heart melt :-p