PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is the Triangle Offense ?

Frank Slade
10-20-2005, 04:31 PM
And will Odom actually flourish in the Point Forward Role this year ?

There I did it an actual Basketball Thread.. Yes they still exist.

Kaufman
10-20-2005, 04:33 PM
You'll have to mail Phil Jackson on that one.

Frank Slade
10-20-2005, 04:35 PM
You'll have to mail Phil Jackson on that one.

I heard not even his G/F Jeanie Buss knows exactly

Kaufman
10-20-2005, 05:04 PM
She's too busy for that kind of thing. She's still marveling in the pet stone Phil got her from Africa. You know, the good luck one she had at the draft.

blanket
10-20-2005, 05:39 PM
I heard not even his G/F Jeanie Buss knows exactly

G/F? Is she the Lakers' new guard/forward?

;)

Anubis04
10-20-2005, 06:03 PM
hello all,
I've been a lurker for a while, but I thought I would answer this question...

I remember watching jordan's bulls, the triangle offense involved something like the guy who brought up the ball (sometimes the pg, but can be anyone) would go to one of the wings and then like two players would move up and form a quasi triangle on the wings, and from that formation they could execute a variety of different moves/sets, alot of which involved one of the bulls, usually jordan slashing toward the basket or something along the liens...

I'm pretty sure thats correct, but may be wrong...if i am, plz correct me..

Evan_The_Dude
10-20-2005, 06:03 PM
G/F? Is she the Lakers' new guard/forward?

;)

No she would be the bent/over...

GO!!!!!
10-20-2005, 06:09 PM
hello all,

I remember watching jordan's bulls, the triangle offense involved something like the guy who brought up the ball (sometimes the pg, but can be anyone) would go to one of the wings and then like two players would move up and form a quasi triangle on the wings, and from that formation they could execute a variety of different moves/sets, alot of which involved one of the bulls, usually jordan slashing toward the basket or something along the liens...

Sounds pretty good.... and instead of having a Pass First PG like Stockton, they'd have a Pippen/Odem Point Fwd who'd get the ball once they pass half way and then have shooters cut and slash accordingly...

Like Steve Kerr and MJ.... and Leave the Big Men in the Post for Easy deuces and rebounds...

I don't know who the Bulls Steve Kerr is tho.. do they have a one dimesonal 3 pt sniper ??

Frank Slade
10-20-2005, 06:14 PM
hello all,

Thanks for the post . Glad to bring you out of hiding ..Sounds good to me.

Kegboy
10-20-2005, 06:32 PM
The triangle offense is a strange phenomenon off the Atlantic Coast where there have been many reports of point guards disappearing, never to be heard from again.

Seriously, without getting too technical, it's a principle of offensive spacing where each player should always have two options to pass the ball to, hence the triangle diagram. It's an old offense that really, really sucks unless you have a dominant offensive player whom can score from anywhere on the floor. You need forwards who can pass, so theoretically Lamar could do well, but I just don't see him having the acumen Pippen did in such situations.

Isiah's Quick had some Triangle principles, and they didn't work at all for us. Silas had some better luck when he stole it to use with LeBron. But the real strength of the Quick was the UCLA sets, which were just a joy to behold when Bra..., uh, we had a high post center.

Kaufman
10-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Nice to have you Anubis. Welcome out of lurkerdom. Tell us about yourself. Where are you from? What makes you a pacers fan? Welcome and it's nice to have you.

ChicagoJ
10-21-2005, 12:30 AM
As a former "PD Arm-chair Coach" winner, let me tell you everything I know about the triangle.

Tex Winters designed it.
Phil Jackson made it famous.
The damn team in the city I now live in made if famous, with that high-scoring guard that I refuse to name other than I remenber when Dan Dakich shut him down in the NCAA tourney.

There, that's about it. Did you get it all??

dipperdunk
10-21-2005, 12:42 AM
The site below does a great job of explaining it. It is a good site if you are interested in the technical coaching aspects of the game.

http://www.bbhighway.com/Talk/Coaching_Box/Clinics/Triangle/triangle_intro.asp

heywoode
10-21-2005, 11:16 PM
The triangle offense is a strange phenomenon off the Atlantic Coast where there have been many reports of point guards disappearing, never to be heard from again.

Seriously, without getting too technical, it's a principle of offensive spacing where each player should always have two options to pass the ball to, hence the triangle diagram. It's an old offense that really, really sucks unless you have a dominant offensive player whom can score from anywhere on the floor. You need forwards who can pass, so theoretically Lamar could do well, but I just don't see him having the acumen Pippen did in such situations.

Isiah's Quick had some Triangle principles, and they didn't work at all for us. Silas had some better luck when he stole it to use with LeBron. But the real strength of the Quick was the UCLA sets, which were just a joy to behold when Bra..., uh, we had a high post center.

I think this is quite possibly the best post I have ever read.

But I've been drinking for several hours...