PDA

View Full Version : Man requests longer prison sentence to match Bird's jersey number

Frank Slade
10-20-2005, 12:51 PM
Go ahead file this under I for Idiot;)

Man requests longer prison sentence to match Bird's jersey number

October 20, 2005
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A man got a prison term longer than prosecutors and defense attorneys had agreed to -- all because of Larry Bird.

The lawyers reached a plea agreement Tuesday for a 30-year term for a man accused of shooting with an intent to kill and robbery. But Eric James Torpy wanted his prison term to match Bird's jersey number 33.

``He said if he was going to go down, he was going to go down in Larry Bird's jersey,'' Oklahoma County District Judge Ray Elliott said Wednesday. ``We accommodated his request and he was just as happy as he could be.

``I've never seen anything like this in 26 years in the courthouse. But, I know the DA is happy about it.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnwIwLdgVh17UpKDE.RK4oe8vLYF?slug=ap-birdnumber-prisonsentence&prov=ap&type=lgns

travmil
10-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Good thing the guy's not a Wayne Gretzky fan.....

Hicks
10-20-2005, 01:03 PM
That's both hilarious and pathetic.

Frank Slade
10-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Good thing the guy's not a Wayne Gretzky fan.....

If this guy had any brains he just would have said he was a fan of another short- lived Celtic Eric Montross .... and be done with it..

Slick Pinkham
10-20-2005, 01:21 PM
If this guy had any brains he just would have said he was a fan of another short- lived Celtic Eric Montross .... and be done with it..

Robert Parrish is the guy to revere-- 00 hanging from the rafters, wearing the championship rings, and partaking of a little "medical marijuana" to soothe those aching knees.

317Kim
10-20-2005, 01:34 PM
Glad he wasnt TOO BIG of an Artest fan and went with 91 .... he'd be there for quite a while.

Isaac
10-20-2005, 02:26 PM
This is kind of ridiculous... this guy is going to spend tax payers money for an extra 3 years... for Larry Bird's jersey number?

Having people in jail isn't free. I can't believe they agreed to this.

Los Angeles
10-20-2005, 02:27 PM
This is kind of ridiculous... this guy is going to spend tax payers money for an extra 3 years... for Larry Bird's jersey number?

I'll gladly spend my tax money this way.

Destined4Greatness
10-20-2005, 02:28 PM

The DA probably wanted to put him away for more than 33. But his lawyer haggled them down. So basically he just countered some of the work his lawyer did.

travmil
10-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Glad he wasnt TOO BIG of an Artest fan and went with 91 .... he'd be there for quite a while.

That's kind of what I was alluding to with my Wayne Gretzky post. The Great One wore number 99.

dannyboy
10-20-2005, 02:57 PM
"I've never seen anything like this in 26 years in the courthouse. But, I know the DA is happy about it.''

Sorry for the dumb question, but how does this scenario benefit the DA exactly? More money?

Destined4Greatness
10-20-2005, 03:01 PM
He got closer to what he wanted.

Gyron
10-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Robert Parrish lives here in North carolina just a few minutes from me. I've seen him at the local Lowe's store a few times. He is one tall dude.

He has a very nice house up on the lake here too.

But Yes, if I was going for a prison sentence, I would request one to match his number instead of any others.

317Kim
10-20-2005, 04:59 PM
That's kind of what I was alluding to with my Wayne Gretzky post. The Great One wore number 99.

Gotcha! didnt know recall who Gretzky was so.....added Ron's # ;) .

Kaufman
10-20-2005, 05:14 PM
For your education, young lady :2tup:, Wayne Gretzky is considered to be the greatest hockey player of all time. He in fact had a stint in Indianapolis for the then Racers (?) I believe. I personally am a Gordie Howe apologist, myself, only because his son works with me.

Isaac
10-20-2005, 05:16 PM
Not knowing who Wayne Gretzky is is almost as bad as not knowing who Michael Jordan is.

Kaufman
10-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Jordan?? Who? Who???

317Kim
10-20-2005, 05:22 PM
oh yeah! he was on ESPN the other day! :doh:

Since86
10-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Not knowing who Wayne Gretzky is is almost as bad as not knowing who Michael Jordan is.

Eh, considering she's a soph(?) in HS, in IN no less, she gets quite a bit of slack. I know jack about the sport, and just barely know about him. I know that he's the "Great One" but other than that :shrug:.

I'm 4-5 yrs older, so it's not that hard to imagine kids in HS not knowing who he is, unless they like hockey.

sweabs
10-20-2005, 05:25 PM
Oh my Lord...............

What is worse? This guy taking the extra 3 years of a sentence, or Pacers Girl not knowing the Great One?

As a Canadian, who lives 10 minutes outside of Wayne's hometown, and have met Wayne and his father - that is BAD!!! Shame, shame, shame!

317Kim
10-20-2005, 05:26 PM
dont like hockey much ... but I'm only a freshman...

GO!!!!!
10-20-2005, 05:36 PM
he'll be out in 15 so it really doesen't matter a whole lot does it...

Shame on the young generation... no respect for the past legends of any codes....

317Kim
10-20-2005, 05:38 PM
:sad: I DO TOO! Just didnt recall who he was...

317Kim
10-20-2005, 05:40 PM
I'M SORRY!!!!!! I KNOW WHAT HE'S DONE..I JUS DIDNT RECALL AT THE TIME!!!! OKAY FINE SHAME ON ME! :cry:

Kaufman
10-20-2005, 05:42 PM
They're just teasing. Indianapolis isn't really a good city to grow up in and learn the sport of hockey. Northern Indiana, that's a different thing, but Indianapolis is another story. And most people just have no interest in Indy. I know I don't. I only know what a hat trick is from all those years playing NHL hockey on Sega.

Kaufman
10-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Maybe a hockey enthusiast can enlighten us, I myself don't totally know about all the accomplishments of the great Gretzky... rcarey?

GO!!!!!
10-20-2005, 05:44 PM
isen't he the Coach for Coyotes now...

don't stress youngen, i only know about 3 hockey players, 2 baseball players and some tennis players..... but i know almost ever basketball, rugby, motocycle and motorsport rider/driver....

it's all about controversy and highlights that allow other sportsmen/woman to become known in other circles of die hard one eyed sport fans...

my Game is BBALL and I Loveeee it.....

317Kim
10-20-2005, 05:45 PM
teehee I know...but my WHOLE like has been BASKETBALL some football..well a lotta football but not as much as bball...and a tiny bit of baseball. No hockey. :shrug:

317Kim
10-20-2005, 05:49 PM
my Game is BBALL and I Loveeee it.....

Exactly! ding ding ding! If you had seen my baby pictures as a newborn, I was in a Pacer one piece with a Pacer bib. Never heard of hockey as a child until I was 8.

GO!!!!!
10-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Exactly! ding ding ding! If you had seen my baby pictures as a newborn, I was in a Pacer one piece with a Pacer bib. Never heard of hockey as a child until I was 8.

Why couldn’t my parents have been that cool...

man I have been a deprived child.... going out in to the wild world down under and having to forge my own identity in countries where Rugby and Soccer reign supreme...ohh the hate I witnessed and the crimes against one's passion laying the foundations of what should have been a great carrier only to be marred by controversy and bad rims...

What could have been, if only I was born in Gary, Indiana...

317Kim
10-20-2005, 06:29 PM
Why couldn’t my parents have been that cool...

man I have been a deprived child.... going out in to the wild world down under and having to forge my own identity in countries where Rugby and Soccer reign supreme...ohh the hate I witnessed and the crimes against one's passion laying the foundations of what should have been a great carrier only to be marred by controversy and bad rims...

What could have been, if only I was born in Gary, Indiana...

:console: I'm so sorry to hear that. My little cousin loves soccer it was his #1...until I took him to his first Pacer game!

GO!!!!!
10-20-2005, 06:45 PM
hey it's all good... I enjoy being able to play all sports....

I still stand out but I'm slowly corrupting the other sport fanatics around with my passion and dedication for the game....

I'll make sure my JR to be has a Baby suit express posted for his arrival when ever...

Basketball just is the best spectator support around.. your so close to the action and it's never slow... unless it's a blowout or your playing the hornets

i think we broke 2 cardinal sins with our here posts, thread hijacking and rantless raves.... my bad...

317Kim
10-20-2005, 07:12 PM
hey it's all good... I enjoy being able to play all sports....

I still stand out but I'm slowly corrupting the other sport fanatics around with my passion and dedication for the game....

I'll make sure my JR to be has a Baby suit express posted for his arrival when ever...

Basketball just is the best spectator support around.. your so close to the action and it's never slow... unless it's a blowout or your playing the hornets

i think we broke 2 cardinal sins with our here posts, thread hijacking and rantless raves.... my bad...

:nod: Yeah I just thought about the hijacking, ranting , etc. lol

aww well Congrats on the JR to be :) . hmmmm...I'm not sure if it'll be the Hornets that we play that will be slow this season ;) .

Frank Slade
10-20-2005, 08:11 PM
Sorry Rcarey but for most in Central Indy Hockey is a non factor...

Except for the few Chicago Transplants here and there

Pacers#1Fan
10-20-2005, 08:33 PM
And some people think a Reggie statue is overboard. :rolleyes:

sweabs
10-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Maybe a hockey enthusiast can enlighten us, I myself don't totally know about all the accomplishments of the great Gretzky... rcarey?

He is the all-time leading scorer in the NHL.
He won MVP NINE FREAKING TIMES...

What's really important, to Canadians at least, is he won the Oilers 4 stanley cups. (And for those of who know NOTHING - the Oilers are based out of Edmonton).

He's done a lot for the Canadian hockey program, and still does.

He's the definition of class.

And I'll always remember him by how dangerous he was behind that net.

Bball
10-20-2005, 08:53 PM
teehee I know...but my WHOLE like has been BASKETBALL some football..well a lotta football but not as much as bball...and a tiny bit of baseball. No hockey. :shrug:

Hockey is a lot like the Pacers vs Pistons brawl except it all happens on the ice and is actually an encouraged part of the game.

:devil:

-Bball

317Kim
10-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Hockey is a lot like the Pacers vs Pistons brawl except it all happens on the ice but is actually an encouraged part of the game.

:devil:

-Bball

If I really didnt know what hockey was..I'd be :-o .

Jermaniac
10-20-2005, 10:09 PM
He should have tryed to match Jack's number.

Pacers#1Fan
10-20-2005, 11:35 PM
I wonder if he would have went for Ron's number last year (for those of you that live in a closet it was 91)

SoupIsGood
10-20-2005, 11:40 PM
He must be banking on getting out sooner. I sure hope this doesn't backfire on him.

The Toxic Avenger
10-21-2005, 02:51 PM
I was listening to Bob and Tom this morning, which I enjoy very much, and they reported this.

The sports "reporter", Chick Macgee, said "Well, if he's going away for thirty years... whats another three?" I tend to agree with that AND the fact that he will probably get out sooner.

And don't worry PaCeRs GuRL :console: I don't care about Wayne Gretsky either.