PDA

View Full Version : Rant on forum netiquette and posting

able
10-20-2005, 07:12 AM
So for once a thread that is covered by the topic, must be a nice change.

Lately a lot of new and young postsers have joined PD,for which we are happy, but it is also the grounds for my petpeeve:

Now I am typing this thread for the 4th or 5th time as I had to break it up (work) lost it through sheer stupidity, so my original well versed and long post will be more *****y, to the post and shorter then envisioned,but since it is getting on my fragile nerves I decided topost it anyway :)

It used to be a pleasure to read most posts on this board, like reading a newspaper in the morning, not a day went by I didn't visit the board, even from my blackberry, however things have changed, so much that I do not use my bb anymore to visit the board and at time can not be arsed to even look at it when I am on a desktop machine.

Bad spelling, no problem, bad language; no problem, bad grammar; no problem, we can not all be "good" at it and some like myself are simply not native English speakers/writers, the effort is what counts.
Now that effort is exacltly what is wrong :D

Though idiotic threads and topics are expected, afterall it is the OFF/PRE season, the length of the threads (which used to be some sign of decent content) is getting obnoxious while the content of hte thread is getting from bad to worse.

I know this might be a"culture" thing, after all I am not exactly Hip-Hop and perhaps even a generation-gap, after all I am old, but.......

If you post on a forum, in a thread, you have something to say on the topic "at hand".
You post to provide others with insight to your opinion, or to make another point pertaining to the thread at hand.

That idea has been more and more abandoned lately, threads grow to several pages by just communicatin with 1-liners or worse, just smileys.

Smileys can make a point, but posting in every thread to give a thumbs up smiley or a wink smiley, or whatever; or to just say "i agree" is IMO (no humbleness has ever touched me) outrageous idiotic and stupid.

Obfuscating good postings with that kind of trivia should be penalized with a death sentence at least and changing the topic of a thread with it is even worse.

I am sure that when the word "trolling" was invented (yes I was around) that those kind of posts were meant to be captured by that as well.

Now I understand that those who are new and young are from a different generation then I am, but I do expect that if you have nothing to add to a discussion on any given topic, you remain silent.
If you agree but what you want to say was already covered, then nod to yourself and move on, stop wasting everybody's time and bandwidth with nonsensical dribble.

And for those who by now are used to communicate in smiley language, please do me a favour, open a thread in the shoutbox and keep it there.

Oneliners and smileys are NOT a way of conversing and/or communicating here as far as I am concerned, if it is going to become the way to do things around here then I will have to find myself a place where it isn't, but untill then, I will get pissed off when I see threads consisting of smileys and oneliners over 4 pages and I will waste your time and bandwith with my obnoxiously long posts as counterweight to the nonsens.

Thank you for "toning it down" and the real contributions I know you can all make

sweabs
10-20-2005, 08:48 AM
If you post on a forum, in a thread, you have something to say on the topic "at hand".
You post to provide others with insight to your opinion, or to make another point pertaining to the thread at hand.

That idea has been more and more abandoned lately, threads grow to several pages by just communicatin with 1-liners or worse, just smileys.

Thank you, Able. I've been wondering when this post was going to come out. I know a couple people who have just stopped posting mainly for the same reasons that you described, and I know that personally I've actually had to use my ignore list which is unfortunate because I don't like doing that.

Anyway, I thought I would highlight the above part...it is very well said.

Unclebuck
10-20-2005, 08:56 AM
able, let me say that I agree with you. I've noticed a change in the past 4 weeks or so, but who am I to say anything.

I know I'm guilty of occasionally doing one-line posts and simply saying that I agree. I will refrain from doing so from now on, unless I have something else to add.

RWB
10-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Guilty as charged. Sorry for the one liner and I will comply.

Gyron
10-20-2005, 09:08 AM
I too have notcied the same lately with the over use of Smiley's and have to agree. I use the "new posts" option to keep up with the thread shere, and it has become tiresome to see 3 pages of new posts in an hour only to realize they were all bumped into new posts by smiley's.

Thanks for psting this Able. I would have never said so on my own as I am only a member here and not someone involved in running the site. But now that you brought it up, I just want you to know you're not alone.

Suaveness
10-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Ah, the days of old....those were nice. I really did enjoy the conversations we had before without the excessive smilies (though they do add a fun touch). But hopefully we can all be a little better.

Fool
10-20-2005, 09:56 AM
I prefer one liners to 10 paragraph rants myself.

burnzone
10-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Damn Able, that was a great post, and I'm sure quite a few members around here echo your thoughts.

I agree that a lot of it was acceptable under the grounds that it was the offseason, and there isn't much to talk about then, but now training camp is over, and preseason games have started, and the focus of threads in the main forum should be Pacers related.

I also think that your suggestion for anyone who desires to post a smiley to respond to another post, to keep it in the shout box, is a very good idea.

This board has always been really nice how it is organized with the different forums for other sports, entertainment, politics, the shout box for general rants, and the colts forum for football, and pretty much everyone keeps their posts in the proper forum.

But I also have noticed more of an influx of responses, and thread bumps with a single smilie, that had nothing to do with the original topic of the thread, and that does get annoying a times.

Although I'm not referring to the smilies used to agree with a point without having to repeat it, those are fine, I know there are times when someone will have a sarcastic response to something someone posted and the rolleyes or unimpressed smiley fits perfectly, I mean more like the ones that are intended to be 'cute', and also repeated over and over again.

I do also notice that some of the veteran posters haven't posted as much lately, and I hope it's because they've just been busy, and not that they're tired of the reasons you suggested.

I do think a lot of it is an age gap, and I'm not busting anyones chops that is younger than 20, but it does seem to be a demographic that enjoys using the IM style smilies as their main form of communication, and that's fine, but I agree that sort of thing should be posted in the shout box.

I also think a lot of it may also have to do with post counts, and maybe some are trying to boost their number of posts with anything and everything, such as a single smilie.

I think some need to remember that your sheer # of post counts don't mean that much around here, it's quality, not quantity, and if you are the poster with the highest # of posts at the end of the year, it's not going to win you any awards, so it's probably better to keep posts in at least the same conversation as the thread they're replying in.

Now, I do see some acceptable occasions for one liners, and smilies, and that's the game threads, I think it's natural to just have a short comment on a play in that thread, but I don't think anyone has a problem with that.

I agree with your assessment that this used to be like reading a newspaper in the morning, and now it's kind of like the newspaper accidentally got hacked, and now contains little high school style flirt notes mixed into the main basketball forum, when it's ok to do that, but just keep it in the shout box.

Again, great post Able, I hope some will realize your point, and not get all upset, it's not like you're asking some to not post, or change their posting style, but just keep it in the proper forum.

Aw Heck
10-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks for that post, able. I've been lurking/occasionally posting on these boards since most of the people here were at RATS. I mainly lurk because I like reading everyone else's opinions and usually because someone else has already posted my viewpoint. I post only when I think I have something to contribute to a thread. It kinda annoys me when I see posts that just say "I agree" or they restate what's already been said. One-liners don't bother me though, especially when they're posted by Most Humourous Poster candidates.

I wanted to say what you've said here a couple weeks ago, but because I don't post that often, I figure I don't carry enough weight to throw around. Anyway, thanks again able.

Kaufman
10-20-2005, 10:38 AM
You know, what about getting rid of the smileys. Just for a while, as a trial, and also to focus people back on sharing non-frivolous postings. While I myself do not mind the smileys, it seems obvious some people are trying to boost their personal posting counts.

One thing I do caution the administrator/owner of this board, don't scare people away from writing and sharing on this board. I like to come here and unwind, just like reading the paper, and add my thoughts. The last thing I want to do is "overthink" whether or not my posting is relevant. Though I feel most of my additions are relevant and thought provoking, I do understand the concerns.

sweabs
10-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Burnzone brought up a great point with post counts. I think it gives people a reason to go out there and spam, wanting to see how many posts they can get to earn "credibility" - when in reality, credibility has nothing to do with the number of posts you have.

I don't know if this is possible, and I doubt everyone would go for it...but I'd be all for getting rid of post counts permanently. I think they do more bad than they do good.

burnzone
10-20-2005, 10:47 AM
That is a great idea, Rcarey, I think that removing post counts, as opposed to removing the smilies would be a lot better.

The smilies are cool, when used properly, because their purpose is to show emotion, or tone of voice, since we can't hear anyone speaking, it allows someone to post sarcastically, while letting others know they are joking.

MagicRat
10-20-2005, 10:52 AM
I agree........:woot:

Hicks
10-20-2005, 10:55 AM
To quote a guy named Wash:

"Oh, my God! What can it be? We're all doomed! Who's flying this thing!?! Oh, right, that would be me. Back to work."

As the guy who's supposed to be piloting this boat, I've been too passive for too long. I've noticed what you all have been, but I've shrugged it off to offseason, young people, and frankly I've been busy in real life these days.

But I can make the time to get things cleaned up around here.

rcarey beat me to it. I'm going to turn post counts off if I can, or I'll find a plugin to do it. Who among us that's been here for months or years really gives a damn anyway? No one to my knowledge.

Also, right now I have the min. character limit as 1, I'm going to up it so a reply HAS to be more than a smilie. Granted, that means they could post 10 instead, but that just gets my attention more quickly to move it, or, if it's to be defiant, delete it.

Beyond that, as I said I need to get more proactive around here again. If threads starts to become what's being described here, I'll be more strict about splitting threads and moving the "waste" to the shoutbox.

I'm just sorry I haven't gotten on this sooner; I've been a lously leader lately.

Stryder
10-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Has it really come to this?

Hicks
10-20-2005, 11:03 AM
Let me also suggest, that if any particularly users are annoying you with their behavior, the ignore list is still here.

I also don't consider this a crisis; I view this as PD is looking a bit sloppy and it just needs some fall cleaning, as it were. I'm more annoyed with thread hijackings than I am with the smilies, but both need to be addressed.

Frank Slade
10-20-2005, 11:07 AM
Let me also suggest, that if any particularly users are annoying you with their behavior, the ignore list is still here.

I also don't consider this a crisis; I view this as PD is looking a bit sloppy and it just needs some fall cleaning, as it were. I'm more annoyed with thread hijackings than I am with the smilies, but both need to be addressed.

Thanks Hicks, that is my pet peeve while we are at it.. Its great to have every point of view on a thread , that is what it is there for. However can we stay on some sort of topic that is relevant to the thread itself.. before
degenerating into the same old stuff on every thread so much so that I can't tell one thread from the other..

Suaveness
10-20-2005, 11:10 AM
I don't think getting rid of Smilies or Post counts will help. I just feel that everyone needs to just make an extra effort to try and keep to the topic of the thread, and to input information that pertains to it. That's all that is needed.

Hicks
10-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Yeah, watching every other thread become a joke and/or hip-hop parody thread has gotten old.

Obviously nothing drastic HAS to be done, such as the post counts, but that one is really something I think is a good idea for the long-term. I think the forum still keeps track, but to remove the visibility should cut down on people (usually younger/newer ones) fretting about it, and it would be interested to see how people treat each other without that reference to judge them.

And if there's any confusion, I'm not getting rid of smilies.

Isaac
10-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Wow. Thank you so much for making this post able. I've been thinking the exact same thing for about a month, and I would have said something about it, but I'm not exactly a high up member on the forum, so I didn't think it would be taken very well.

Unclebuck
10-20-2005, 11:32 AM
I don't think any one thing will solve the problem. Everyone should be adult enough to police themselves. Maybe the key word is adult. I don't think dropping the smilies or eliminating the post counts will help, although if that happens that is fine with me.

In all my years here and my years at RATS, I've never once used the ignore feature, but it has been tempting lately, but i don't want to do that. i think everyone has something to contribute.

Harmonica
10-20-2005, 11:33 AM
It's really just one poster that I can think of, but they really, really go all out when it comes to posting a smilie in every thread.

Oh, thanks for singling me out... jerk. :mad:

Seriously, this was bound to happen. As a forum gains popularity, it naturally attracts a "broader scope" of posters (I'm being nice). There are only a couple of posters here I can think of who seem to be who able is referring to. As btown pointed out, a PM probably would have sufficed. But...we live in a society where the majority suffers because of the actions of a few.

Hicks, don't make the minimal character count for posting too short. Sometimes an "agreed" or "exactly" can also move a conversation forward, or simply serves as acknowledgement that someone made an excellent point, which isn't a bad thing, in my opinion.

brichard
10-20-2005, 11:39 AM
I agree with most of what Able said with the exception of the one line posts. Sometimes a poster just puts something into words in a way that you can't express yourself. I personally see nothing wrong with a "here here" on the topic. Perhaps it isn't a lengthy reply, but you are taking a side in a particular debate. If somebody takes 45 minutes to write a post, and you don't disagree with what they said, it just seems like they could deserve an "atta boy" in there somewhere. :)

I'm glad that the smileys are there. When my kids look over my shoulder they love to have me go through the list on PD and they enjoy them immensely. However, the people that overuse smilies do so with reckless abandon. I'm still amazed that many people don't know that CAPS ARE SHOUTING and that nobody has any desire to see how good you are :typingwordsbetweencolons: If we wanted to see all the smilies all we have to do is to click on the smilie link... save the effort!

But, emoticons are great for the written word. Since we can't show emotion with a typed sentence, an emoticon lets a person know that you are serious, joking, etc. And quite frankly, some of them just make me laugh on their own.

Hicks
10-20-2005, 12:02 PM
I agree with most of what Able said with the exception of the one line posts. Sometimes a poster just puts something into words in a way that you can't express yourself. I personally see nothing wrong with a "here here" on the topic. Perhaps it isn't a lengthy reply, but you are taking a side in a particular debate. If somebody takes 45 minutes to write a post, and you don't disagree with what they said, it just seems like they could deserve an "atta boy" in there somewhere. :)

I agree with you on this part.

[Oh, the irony]

Los Angeles
10-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Okey Dokey. I'll sound off on this also.

Thread splitting is a great solution to these ills. The ****** - I mean Shout Box forum is a good dumping ground for socializing and time wasting. I say that as a man with years of valuable experience in the art of wasting time. This has become a great social environment for many folks, young and old. All should be wecome, because even the most eloquent among us started somewhere.

I've also had a difficult time "digging" through the banal to find good discussion. Let's just all agree to discuss the Pacers on the pacers forum (including jokes and funny pictures and whatever is relevant), discuss politics in the politics forum, and play smilie tennis in the shout box.

It's an issue of first and final impressions for those that enter the site for the first time. I think the lurkers are the most valuable members of PD. No, I'm not joking about that. When I see a post from someone with a post count of 12 and a joing date from the beginning of the forum, I assume two things: 1) PD's posting members write things that are worth reading and 2) There is a sense of loyalty and comraderie even among the lurkers.

The worst thing the community at large can do is scare away the next influx of valuable members with invaluable posts.

Unclebuck
10-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Ah, I think we have a new problem that is taking over

Hicks
10-20-2005, 12:44 PM
And now THIS is getting off topic.

Suaveness
10-20-2005, 12:45 PM
And now THIS is getting off topic.\

:laugh: It happens. (Smilies and one liners!)

bmac
10-20-2005, 12:48 PM
I was just complaining about this very issue last night to my girlfriend. I think its' a good problem for a forum to have, but the quality of the threads has really suffered as of late. It's important not to turn off folks from visiting the boards by acting like we are a bunch of elitist A-holes. Kinda like Jack Black's character regarding music in "High Fidelity". I like some of the solutions offered up here, but lets avoid being too rash and wait for the real season to start before making a decision. Time is an ally, there should be no big rush to judgement.

Los Angeles
10-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Ah, I think we have a new problem that is taking over
I'm sorry, was this directed at me? Or did it just happen to follow my post? If it was, could you explain? Am I not getting a joke? (it wouldn't be the first time, BTW.) Thanks. :)

bmac
10-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Go look at how many "What song describes...." threads have popped up on the Pacer forum today......

I have less of a problem with silly threads, as I do with posting that is more relevant for a personal IM. There have been alot of those and they are annoying. I started the Neil Diamond thread as an attempt at humor, kind of a rip on the Green Day thread. I was being sarcastic and I understand that not everybody here has that same sense of humor. Thats life.

grace
10-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Obviously Able is a mind reader. Just last night I asked Kegboy if the board would get better once the regular season starts.

Suaveness
10-20-2005, 01:16 PM
It's been a good year or 2 since we've had the reall fun discussions and message board. Hopefully these can come back.

317Kim
10-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Sorry you guys! I know I'm guilty...

ChicagoJ
10-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Contexual one liners are fine. If that were a problem, I wouldn't be able to post at all anymore. Constantly bumping a thread or mulitple threads with one smilie is tiresome.

:iagree:

:zip:

sweabs
10-20-2005, 01:31 PM
I still think eliminating post counts would really help things out.

What they do, in the eyes of a lot of younger people, is create a certain hierarchy. In an attempt to one day gain the same "status" as those that are at the top of the chain, I find that new posters end up spamming the boards with meaningless posts in an endless pursuit to "catch up".

Why not try it out? I think most of us can agree that they're worthless.

Hicks
10-20-2005, 01:32 PM
It's been a good year or 2 since we've had the reall fun discussions and message board. Hopefully these can come back.

Last year was such a crapshoot after 11/19, what was there to really talk about? Sure there were story lines along the way, but at least this year we should (jinx!) get back to talking about reaching new heights.

Suaveness
10-20-2005, 01:34 PM
Last year was such a crapshoot after 11/19, what was there to really talk about? Sure there were story lines along the way, but at least this year we should (jinx!) get back to talking about reaching new heights.

Oh without a doubt. I think hopefully this year should be fun.

Suaveness
10-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Yeah, watching every other thread become a joke and/or hip-hop parody thread has gotten old.

Obviously nothing drastic HAS to be done, such as the post counts, but that one is really something I think is a good idea for the long-term. I think the forum still keeps track, but to remove the visibility should cut down on people (usually younger/newer ones) fretting about it, and it would be interested to see how people treat each other without that reference to judge them.

And if there's any confusion, I'm not getting rid of smilies.

I think this is a good idea. If remove the visibility, people won't get caught up, as rcarey has mentioned, in posts.

cramerica
10-20-2005, 01:36 PM
I don't mind one-liners when they pertain to the thread. I view forums as a conversation, and I usually don't talk in paragraphs. I don't mind the long posts either such as Pecks or UB's. I love reading those, but if somebody wants to add a thought or a comment, and it's a one-liner, than they shouldn't be looked down upon......................as long as it pertains to the threads.

And you can get rid of smilies for all I care.

sweabs
10-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Awesome - thank you, Hicks.

I am willing to bet this will work out much better.

Hicks
10-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Awesome - thank you, Hicks.

I am willing to bet this will work out much better.

I hope so. If not, it's easy to reverse.

Bball
10-20-2005, 01:53 PM
But...we live in a society where the majority suffers because of the actions of a few.

Hicks, don't make the minimal character count for posting too short. Sometimes an "agreed" or "exactly" can also move a conversation forward, or simply serves as acknowledgement that someone made an excellent point, which isn't a bad thing, in my opinion.

I totally agree with this point and I'm not agreeing to be sarcastic considering the topic we're discussing. It's nice to know when someone thinks you've said it all, or said something so well that they only want to be counted as agreeing. Especially true if you have made a controversial stand. It's nice to know you aren't alone. It's not always necessary to elaborate (much like I just did here) as that wastes bandwidth as well (as hopefully this was not)

And on the idea of "character counts" does it factor in the sig (in a post)? If so, then that pretty much makes it a moot point.

-Bball

Hicks
10-20-2005, 01:57 PM
It's set at 8 right now. I agree. fits that (with the period).

I could make it 4 or 5.

Hicks
10-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Sigs do not count towards the limit. Sigs have their own limit.

Unclebuck
10-20-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm sorry, was this directed at me? Or did it just happen to follow my post? If it was, could you explain? Am I not getting a joke? (it wouldn't be the first time, BTW.) Thanks. :)

Yes it was directed at you, and the problem is that you never agree with me in the polictical forum. Oh wait, no it was what Btown said.

I've always thought I should leave the humor to the professionals

Unclebuck
10-20-2005, 02:11 PM

I am asking a serious question here. What do you mean the real fun discussions and mesage boards. What do you want more of

burnzone
10-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Hicks, the removal of post counts looks good.

I agree with most that it's only a couple posters, and it nothing major enough to warrant removing smilies altogether, that would take away from everyone else.

At least with no post counts visible, it might remove the motivation to spam threads to increase post numbers, and as you said, it can always be reversed.

Way to steer the ship there, Cap'n. :D

Hicks
10-20-2005, 02:16 PM
I aim t' misbehave.

Bball
10-20-2005, 02:18 PM
I've always thought I should leave the humor to the professionals

Humor is a funny thing....

-Bball

Bball
10-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Ok... I think threads degenerate when all the points have been made (or close to it)... which brings us to another point that was raised in this thread:
#1 Shout box
#2 Thread splitting in general

Perhaps thread moving and especially splitting haven't been as thorough as needed to cut down on the OT replies and off shoots.

Some things might need sent to the Shout box (or other sub forum)... Others might be a legitimate off shoot of the original thread and simply need their own thread in the main forum.

And speaking of proper forums... Shouldn't this thread be in the Feedback forum? :eek: ;)

-Bball

Isaac
10-20-2005, 02:23 PM
I think getting rid of post counts is a good idea, but getting rid of smileys really wouldn't do anything. Smileys can be abused by being the only thing in a response, but personally, I'd rather see a post with just a smiley in it then a post that simply reads "lol".

Kaufman
10-20-2005, 02:33 PM
Hello all,

You know I appreciate some of the changes that have gone on. Its a little different but thats fine. I want to reiterate though, please don't make it so uncomfortable for people to post here. While I do think my posts are all in all pretty substantive and mature, I think this site serves a purpose of being a general meeting place for people with a similar interest, the Pacers. It allows for people to come on and interact in the evenings, or daytime as it might be, and I personally have no problem with people who have short messages or want to try to say something witty. That's my two cents. And as far as something someone mentioned regarding being "adults", well the thing is, we do have some teens and they are very good contributors, in my opine. There is, therefore, going to be some difference in the maturity level of various posters, and I think that's ok. Its what makes the diversity of this board so awesome. Lets not lose sight of that.

KRJ

Fool
10-20-2005, 03:03 PM
So if someone asks a question, the person answering can't just say "yep" or "no"? If someone asks what number Ronnie is wearing this year, the reply must spell out T-H-I-R-T-E-E-N (or whatever number he is actually wearing this year as I believe 13 is wrong)?

This place is like the opposite of a college comp class. Instead of demanding that you be more concise, you're demanding we blather on. I guess I need to start dredging up my old highschool tricks for getting my papers to appear to be longer then they actually are. Which font is the biggest again? (Count this whole paragraph as blather practice.)

Fool
10-20-2005, 03:12 PM
Btown, you always come through.

Fool
10-20-2005, 03:51 PM
I didn't mean my "you always come through" comment as a negative. I understood what you were doing. Your post even brought a smile to my face, which is now lost (unfortunately).

SoupIsGood
10-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Guys, I'm having a little trouble getting here nowadays. http://www.anal-retentivedigest.com isn't working for me anymore....

Fool
10-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Didn't you here? The Pacers are using a freer offense this year. As a result http://www.anal-retentivedigest.com can no longer be accessed through Carlisle's pants. Get yourself and alternate service provider and you should be fine.

Hicks
10-20-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm not kidding anymore. Stop hijacking every thread with this. Please.

Fool
10-20-2005, 04:26 PM
I know its hard to believe, but its true. A freer offense.

Frank Slade
10-20-2005, 04:27 PM
I know its hard to believe, but its true. A freer offense.

A what ? Come again please...

Suaveness
10-20-2005, 04:28 PM
I am asking a serious question here. What do you mean the real fun discussions and mesage boards. What do you want more of

It's hard to describe, I can't really say. The way the discussions were before were a lot more...I don't know. Different. Maybe a bit more thought-provoking? I'm not sure. I find myself not wanting to respond as much because the topics just aren't interesting. I suppose that comes with the times, and things change every season.

I think I just haven't been to a forum party in so long the energy is just being drained out :buddies:

Who knows, maybe I'm just being stupid. But there just is a different feel to it now. I dunno.

Ultimate Frisbee
10-20-2005, 04:28 PM
bleh....

I don't like the idea of making a minimum post size... I don't think many people spam the message boards with single word answers (well.. a few exceptions... you know who you are... I know I am guility of it sometimes)...

This willl just encourage the use of more smilies or more ...s I think.

Kaufman
10-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Hey all,
I think it's time to settle down and just check out whatever changes have been made, maybe then reconvene after a few weeks and discuss. But overall, it seems people are getting testy and I think we need to focus our energies back on the Pacers. I'm off for two weeks and trying to find some good discussions on the board but everyone is on this post. I think basically all the points have been spelled out. Hicks and the Btown and the other admins are doing a great job and trying their best to patrol the board, and Able's comments are noted and well received. I hope we can get back to the business of basketball soon and stop picking on people or ideas. :twocents:

:rockon2:

kerosene
10-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Don't like the idea of minimum post sizes either. I think we (admins) should just try be a bit more proactive in keeping threads on topic/splitting threads.

I don't think it's a big deal, we've actually gone through this before. The thread hijacking behavior seems to go waaaaay down when it always gets split off to the ShoutBox.

SoupIsGood
10-20-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm not kidding anymore. Stop hijacking every thread with this. Please.

:confused:

SoupIsGood
10-20-2005, 06:36 PM
I think simply PMing the couple offenders would have been a more equitable solution than all of this, but ah well.

Quoted for truth...... or maybe quoted because I agree with it :confused: Oh hell, quoted because I want to improve my post #....... :rolleyes:

Shade
10-20-2005, 06:48 PM
I liked my post count. It made me feel special (ed).

RIP :cry:

317Kim
10-20-2005, 06:51 PM
You can still see it in the profile thing. :console:

Tim
10-20-2005, 07:17 PM
For what its worth, we just need the season to start.
November will clear up a lot of this.

This thread pointed out something, a lot of our members were bothered by the situation but didn't feel comfortable pointing it out for some reason.

Maybe just me but I thought we were to a point that we could talk openly about something like this and not wait for Able or Hicks or someone else with perceived rank to say something.

I hope people will speak up and not remain silent until you want to leave. That is PD got started in the first place, RATS got out of hand and we left.

heywoode
10-20-2005, 07:21 PM
I liked seeing the post counts, because mine was kickass (which meant nothing, but was cool anyway) and it let me know who the newbies were without remembering the names of who joined and when...

No biggie as far as I'm concerned about any changes made, it's not my board. I hadn't noticed the problems being described, but I don't notice a whole lot anyway....

I'll try to remember to not post one liners or do anything else annoying to anyone, but I AM kind of annoying, so I guess people will have to live with it...

Peck
10-20-2005, 07:37 PM
I say we get a team together, something that can get at the very core of an issue.

That team than could run roughshod over everyone & everything, then once that team had driven out the bottom dwellers then they can return home as the conqouring hero's that they are.;)

No, in all seriousness I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that this was an extremley dull off-season once both Saras came on board & Dale left. There just wasn't much to say so a lot of people who are the blowhards (myself in particular) went to the sanctuary of the Political board where there is never a disagreement & we all share the same views. Now that the season has kind of gotten underway it will get better.

Again though, I thank Hicks, Able & the rest of the PD staff for giving us this place to express ourselves.

The newer guys & gals will find thier groove & it's up to us to help them along the way. For that matter they can help us as well.

So, let's give the post counts thing a try & we'll see if we can't bring this up to mid season form by the time the season starts.

Oh yea & one more thing, Artest sucks.:eyebrow: There that should send us off into the right direction.;)

Los Angeles
10-20-2005, 07:38 PM
I liked seeing the post counts, because mine was kickass (which meant nothing, but was cool anyway) and it let me know who the newbies were without remembering the names of who joined and when...

No biggie as far as I'm concerned about any changes made, it's not my board. I hadn't noticed the problems being described, but I don't notice a whole lot anyway....

I'll try to remember to not post one liners or do anything else annoying to anyone, but I AM kind of annoying, so I guess people will have to live with it...
If you click on a person's name, you will go to their user profile. The post counts are still listed there.

Suaveness
10-20-2005, 08:26 PM
I say we get a team together, something that can get at the very core of an issue.

That team than could run roughshod over everyone & everything, then once that team had driven out the bottom dwellers then they can return home as the conqouring hero's that they are.;)

No, in all seriousness I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that this was an extremley dull off-season once both Saras came on board & Dale left. There just wasn't much to say so a lot of people who are the blowhards (myself in particular) went to the sanctuary of the Political board where there is never a disagreement & we all share the same views. Now that the season has kind of gotten underway it will get better.

Again though, I thank Hicks, Able & the rest of the PD staff for giving us this place to express ourselves.

The newer guys & gals will find thier groove & it's up to us to help them along the way. For that matter they can help us as well.

So, let's give the post counts thing a try & we'll see if we can't bring this up to mid season form by the time the season starts.

Oh yea & one more thing, Artest sucks.:eyebrow: There that should send us off into the right direction.;)

**** you. :censored:

:flirt:

And I can still see the post counts....

Shade
10-20-2005, 08:56 PM
ArTeSt RuLeZ... :lol:

SoupIsGood
10-20-2005, 09:21 PM
Yeah what's the logic behind removing the post counts. I now have no idea whether some of these guys are new posters or guys I never noticed before.

Suaveness
10-20-2005, 09:35 PM
I can still see them!

SjA3837
10-20-2005, 09:40 PM
I think it's a bit silly, I know i'm guilty of doing it... but sometimes you want to let the poster know you actually took time to read their post, and you agreed with it.

Vicious Tyrant
10-20-2005, 10:25 PM
As I sit here in front of my computer looking at the screen, I am very, very, very, very glad that this message boards exists in reality of the world to provide us with very very very opportune opportunities to discuss, ie talk about, the Pacers, ie the Pacers, which is very very very good.

In short this is a really great thing altogether.....

Whew....now that I've exhausted my old high school tricks and established my "digest cred", I'd like to offer a modest suggestion.

On the snopes.com message board, they don't display your post count but assign you a funny title or saying based on how many times you've posted.

For instance, when you first register the area where a post count would typically be says something like "newbie". Once you get 25 posts it changes to "gusto boy" or something. You get a new one at 50 and 100 and on and on....

Its kind of cool b/c the folks who've been around a while pick up on what those things mean, but they don't have the same status thing a post count does, b/c lots of people don't have any idea what title is associated with how many posts.

Just a thought....

sweabs
10-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Yeah what's the logic behind removing the post counts. I now have no idea whether some of these guys are new posters or guys I never noticed before.

If you go back in the thread you can see the logic behind removing post counts. There is a valid argument - although they aren't completely removed which may defeat the entire purpose anyway.

And I'm pretty sure you know who the new posters are, and who the new ones are by now. You've been here just as long as me. If you are having that much trouble, look at the "Joined" date under their avatar. But by now, I think you have an understanding of who is who. Even so, why does it matter if you can't tell if someone is new? Does it change your opinion on the person, or do you read their posts differently?

SoupIsGood
10-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Okay, I've given myself time to calm down. As I've proven before, I'm practically allergic to Able's writing. I think he could probably write up an essay about the discover of a new species of bannana and it'd somehow upset me. :confused:

Okay, honestly, I've got to say this is pretty stupid. First off, I think this should have been dealt with via PM (Btown had the right idea) instead of creating a four page thread dedicated to b!tching about maybe three people. I'm actually pretty disappointed here, usually things are handled a bit classier than this around here.

Second, all of this, IMO, is a bit misguided. I'll never be sure if everyone had me in mind when the mention this off-topic "idiocy," since we somehow manged to mention no names throughout this monster of a thread. (:innocent:) I don't think I use a lot of smilies, but I guess others would disagree. However, until someone else decides to actually lay out some names, I'm going to assume that I've been lumped into this group of young people that all of you so throughly complained about.

All right, now that you understand that assumption, I'm going to explain both why my posts have veered toward "idiocy" lately, and expound on the second point above, in which I feel these crackdown efforts are a bit misguided. Bear with me here, I've got a feeling the rest of the post may be a little spastic in logical flow and structutre as I try to explain myself.

But before I begin to mention what annoys me, I'm going to start with what doesn't - the smilies. Personally, I don't see why they are such a bother. It takes me less than a second to process a quick :2tup:, I'm not sure how something that takes so little time and effort for me to either pay attention to, or glance over, as this could annoy me as greatly as it seems to annoy some of you. Besides, they're all pretty cheerful and harmless in nature...

All right, now for the outrageous stupidity and idiocy (yes!) that is my off topic posting. I'm sure some of you have noticed that I haven't been posting about strictly basketball so much anymore. Maybe you thought that was a good thing (:unimpress), maybe you thought it was a bad thing, maybe you just didn't care, or maybe you thought I was just immature and incapable of staying on topic. Well, what I'm about to say probably won't change any of that, but damnit, I've already wasted a good five paragraphs on this post; I'm going to say it anyway -

Pacers Digest has been real *****ty lately.

:devil:

You all had your fun for a good three pages, now it's my turn, my chance to rant about what annoys me. PD was always about great Pacer discussion - heated, yet intelligent and civil debates, questions that probed the mind and invoked some heavy-level thinking (for sports anyway), and of course general discussion of Pacer news. But somewhere along the line, I'd guess somewhere right before preseason, everyone got loony. Re-treads of FAMOUSLY ANCIENT and over-done topics, line

by line

by line

by line

by line ([sarcastic remark]! I win! :lmao:)

by line (Darko sucks! Hahaaaaaa!)

arguments that test the boundaries of both logic and sanity, sudden overflows of cynicism, Hater! vs. Realist! clashes (and booooooy are THOSE interesting), and, as Grace said a while ago, a lot of PMS-like behavior are just some of the things that just really irk me! Oh, and all the Bender jokes...... just kidding.

So, why do I post off topic? Because it's a hell of a lot better than any of that crap!

I see this thread crack down on harmless things like abundant smilies and friendly off topic conversation, while no attention is paid to what I consider to be the real insanity, and...... :sad:

SoupIsGood
10-20-2005, 10:45 PM
If you go back in the thread you can see the logic behind removing post counts. There is a valid argument - although they aren't completely removed which may defeat the entire purpose anyway.

And I'm pretty sure you know who the new posters are, and who the new ones are by now. You've been here just as long as me. If you are having that much trouble, look at the "Joined" date under their avatar. But by now, I think you have an understanding of who is who. Even so, why does it matter if you can't tell if someone is new? Does it change your opinion on the person, or do you read their posts differently?

I just like to welcome someone to the board if I see that they made their first or second post, is that so bad? I really think it makes a difference, if they feel more welcome - and we all want more Pacer fans to forum with right?

Who are the young people being targetted with the removal the post count anyway? I don't really care about it, and while PG likes to congratulate people on hitting different milestones, she doesn't post only to hit them. So who is it? Who's abusing the count, who has become so caught up in it? No one I know, and in fact I'd bet if these people were ASKED about it, instead of simply judged, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who did, in the manner that you guys think....

Kaufman
10-20-2005, 10:47 PM
SOUP? Did you suffer a brain aneurysm?

SoupIsGood
10-20-2005, 10:48 PM
SOUP? Did you suffer a brain anyeursm?

No, but I hope to soon! :sigh:

BTW - you misspelled. :p

Kaufman
10-20-2005, 10:50 PM
My young friend, I don't think anyone is picking on you. And so what if they are. Be a man, suck it up and go on. I know a lot has been made of the input from some of the younger crowd, but you know something, exposure to yall is what brings me to this board. And I think everyone, or at least most, enjoy the diversity. Some might write stuff that is upsetting, but ignore man, ignore. You don't have to read it. People are ignorant, they might not see things the way others perceive them. I got your back, man. Continue to post the way you've always posted but just be a little aware that some of the powers that be get irked by some things. And if it gets out of hand, I've got plenty money to blow and we'll start are own pacersdigest two.

Kaufman
10-20-2005, 10:53 PM
I know you had to spell check that bc I see aneurysm on a bi-monthly basis and not even I know how to correctly spell it. So therefore, you can't know how to spell that just off your fingertips.

Harmonica
10-20-2005, 10:53 PM
I don't see what all the hub-bub's about. Can't say there's really anything that annoys me about this board (except the absolute lack of taste most posters here have in movies), but I trust if anything were to get out-of-hand, Hicks (or whomever) will step in and remedy the problem. I've found that a good 6-8 month banning often does the trick, but I'm sure most problems can be taken care of privately first.

sweabs
10-20-2005, 10:54 PM
And if it gets out of hand, I've got plenty money to blow and we'll start are own pacersdigest two.

HERESY!!! ;)

And Soup, from what you've written, I think you just need to relax. Regular season is starting up soon...take a deep breath.

SoupIsGood
10-20-2005, 10:55 PM
My young friend, I don't think anyone is picking on you. And so what if they are. Be a man, suck it up and go on. I know a lot has been made of the input from some of the younger crowd, but you know something, exposure to yall is what brings me to this board. And I think everyone, or at least most, enjoy the diversity. Some might write stuff that is upsetting, but ignore man, ignore. You don't have to read it. People are ignorant, they might not see things the way others perceive them. I got your back, man. Continue to post the way you've always posted but just be a little aware that some of the powers that be get irked by some things. And if it gets out of hand, I've got plenty money to blow and we'll start are own pacersdigest two.

Heheh - don't worry man. I know my rants edge on manic desperation, but that's mainly because I don't rant often. It's the only way know how really. :p I'm quite fine though, you don't gotta worry about my feelings ;), I'm just venting.

Kaufman
10-20-2005, 10:56 PM
But Harmonica, that's the thing. 4 pages of antagonism for what? What the hell could be so bad that THIS?? THIS!!! Come on man. Its making people who are great contributors feel bad and feel like they have targets on their backs. They don't deserve it.

SoupIsGood
10-20-2005, 10:57 PM
I know you had to spell check that bc I see aneurysm on a bi-monthly basis and not even I know how to correctly spell it. So therefore, you can't know how to spell that just off your fingertips.

NEVER doubt my spelling skills! I don't always know how to produce a correctly spelled word, but I'm excellent at spotting a misspelled one. =/

SoupIsGood
10-20-2005, 11:00 PM
Life is not fair.

Uh, okay. This isn't exactly ground breaking news man.

Kaufman
10-20-2005, 11:03 PM
But who the heck really cares if things get off freaking target. Its not like we're in a session of congress (or across the pond they might call it a session of the house of lords), it's sports. Sports. People are dying. Babies are being born. People are getting flooded out of their homes. Hurricanes come and go and come and go and come and go. We're talkin about sports here. GDi who the hell cares if things get off target. Its a past time. Get over it.

SoupIsGood
10-20-2005, 11:04 PM
That was deep. Thank you.......

And the old cliche "life is not fair" was?! It wasn't even relevant!

Kaufman
btw, can someone tell me how to post a picture i found on the internet in my "signature" section please?

SoupIsGood
But who the heck really cares if things get off freaking target. Its not like we're in a session of congress (or across the pond they might call it a session of the house of lords), it's sports. Sports. People are dying. Babies are being born. People are getting flooded out of their homes. Hurricanes come and go and come and go and come and go. We're talkin about sports here. GDi who the hell cares if things get off target. Its a past time. Get over it.

Thank you

Kaufman
10-20-2005, 11:05 PM
Whoa. Did anyone else just notice the new EDIT and QUOTE buttons in the bottom right of the posts?

Kaufman
10-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Or nevermind.

MagicRat
10-20-2005, 11:12 PM
But who the heck really cares if things get off freaking target.

I do. Nothing steams me more than people not posting about basketball on a basketball board.............:mad:...............:blush:

jrm7one
10-20-2005, 11:15 PM
I'm not a frequent poster, but am a frequent reader. I love reading other fans opinions about the Pacers, getting Pacer info that Pacers.com and ESPN.com fail to offer, and other things that only local Pacer addicts would know about. Not many NBA fans reside here in the heart of Carolina, surrounded by UNC, Duke, Wake Forrest, and other elite college teams, so it's good to hear from some NBA fans once in a while.

I have noticed (even in the short 6 months that I've been here) that too often: 1. Threads are started in the General Discussion forum that have NOTHING to do with the Pacers; or 2. Topics are bumped by posts that:

1) Are irrelevent to the topic, or even other posts in the thread
2) Contain absolutly no evidence of added information, or opinion
3) Include nothing more than this mellow green pea :-p just to raise their post-count

These problems do hinder the ease of reading relevent information, which up until now has been outstanding.

I noticed the post count was gone earlier today, and I have to say I like it. Although I understand that some people view posters with a high post count as "board veterans" and those with low post counts "newbies," this is simply not always the case. Take me for example.

I visit the PD board more than once a day since I discovered the site through the IndyStar message boards about 6 months ago. Not until about three months ago did I become a member, simply because you can't post without becoming a member, and once in a while I actually do have an opinion. :-o

However, I have been 'welcomed' as a new member almost every time I have posted. Although I do understand that three months does not compare to some that have been members since the site got started, and not that I don't appreciate the kindness, the fact remains that I have regular visitor to this board every day for half a year, and I have been an avid Pacers fan since the age of 12 (seven years ago).

Although I (as well as others I am sure) seldom put in my two cents on each and every thread, it does not take away from the fact that we are Pacers fans. I like the deletion of the post-count, as it does not always attribute to the knowlege a person has about the Pacers, or the length of time the member has been a fan of the Pacers. For all we know, Reggie Miller could join this board as reg31mil, and be treated with the general assumption that he was a new Pacers fan.

Hicks
10-20-2005, 11:24 PM

This can be a good thing IMO.

Hicks
10-20-2005, 11:25 PM
I've un-done the 8 character limit, I think it's over the top after seeing it for a few hours. Just don't abuse it.

SoupIsGood
10-20-2005, 11:28 PM
This can be a good thing IMO.

Yeah I guess - the guy above had a good point about being welcomed several times. That'd get pretty old.

Man Danny has got me psyched! :)

Hicks
10-20-2005, 11:29 PM
And if it gets out of hand, I've got plenty money to blow and we'll start are own pacersdigest two.

Between you and Soup, I just love the votes of confidence. :rolleyes:

Did either of you come to me about this to voice your concerns? No. So don't start with this crap, it's insulting.

SoupIsGood
10-20-2005, 11:31 PM
Between you and Soup, I just love the votes of confidence. :rolleyes:

Did either of you come to me about this to voice your concerns? No. So don't start with this crap, it's insulting.

Couldn't we say the same thing about the starter of this thread. He basically turned it into the "air your dirty laundry" thread.

Hicks
10-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Couldn't we say the same thing about the starter of this thread. He basically turned it into the "air your dirty laundry" thread.

This would not be my choice of approach to deal with this issue, but he has the right to vent. Although I may move this to feedback in the near future as it certainly is not a Pacers thread, and everyone's read it by now.

SoupIsGood
10-20-2005, 11:35 PM
This would not be my choice of approach to deal with this issue, but he has the right to vent. Although I may move this to feedback in the near future as it certainly is not a Pacers thread, and everyone's read it by now.

But when I vent it's insulting? Ok.

Hicks
10-20-2005, 11:39 PM
But when I vent it's insulting? Ok.

No, when you suddenly say "PD has been **** lately", it's insulting to me.

Hicks
10-20-2005, 11:39 PM
I'll take a moment to clear something up. The admins are 'officially' myself (as head, uh, guy), and Shade, keresone, btowncolt, and Jay. Able has admin priviliges as well, and we welcome his assistance that he provides at times with keeping fires out and things of that manner, but when I see him post something like this, I don't view him being an admin, I view him being a poster, and I've seen many posters do this before, so I'm not going to get ****ty on able about it.

When it's an admin issue to discuss, you guys need to PM us, and able also is extremely good about coming to us when an issue arises, so I don't view this as an admin pointing fingers.

GO!!!!!
10-21-2005, 12:32 AM
I think the time is near for a Coup.....

lets over throw Mugabe and his dictatorship....

ChicagoJ
10-21-2005, 12:56 AM
For what its worth, we just need the season to start.
November will clear up a lot of this.

This thread pointed out something, a lot of our members were bothered by the situation but didn't feel comfortable pointing it out for some reason.

Maybe just me but I thought we were to a point that we could talk openly about something like this and not wait for Able or Hicks or someone else with perceived rank to say something.

I hope people will speak up and not remain silent until you want to leave. That is PD got started in the first place, RATS got out of hand and we left.

Tim made some good points here.

Its like the situation we had earlier this summer. We were getting lots of complaints about the guy, and we were trying to come up with a way to keep that guy around in a way that wouldn't continue to alienate everyone else. Behind the scenes communications didn't work; public communications didn't work. Before he left, he was defiant to nearly every admin here, yet we were still receiving complaints.

Heck, when you spend a big chunk of time here, it is inevitable that a few things or certain posters will get on your nerves. And you don't want to complain because, hey, we're all volunteers with day jobs or school or whatever.

Then one day, somebody snaps. This really floored me because we hadn't had a single post in our secret admin hiding place for over a week.

It would be nice if we could've done this differently. Behind the scenes or whatever. But this is what we've got so let's make something positive out of it.

I'll just say right now that I probably haven't even opened over 1/2 of the threads on the first couple pages, and that's never happened to me before. Btown could be quoting all kinds of public figures singling out the destruction of my kneecaps, and I wouldn't even know it.

Let's go, PD. We're better than this.

(Cue Belushi's "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor" speach.)

able
10-21-2005, 05:33 AM
Before anyone thinks that I have abandoned this thread after posting it, I didn't .
Before anyone thinks it is personal to them; it isn't (ok that one's to late).

Did I single any 1 poster out ? No. But could I have? Of course BUT that wasn't the point.
Some of you will have received PM's from me when things didn't quite go as stated within rules or because I (we, the admins) received complaints.
So am I capable of dosing fires that way? I like to think so.

Was this a fire? no
Am I and admin? yes, sorta, since I run the tech part of the board, since I host it, yes for those reasons only.
Many of you have send me PM's asking for "admin" things, I always refer you to others, I do not ban people, I don't consider that my job.

Do I look into "technical problems"? yes, Do the updates? yes, run the server the board is hosted on? yes

Am I a human being and a member of this community? YES

And as such I have opinions, not only on basketball, but on a lot of topics.
Am I entitled to posting those? yes, just like each and anyone of you.

Repeating your opinion loudly and constantly does not make it the right one, listening what people are really saying and digesting that with what was your opinion and defining your "new" opinion is.

I was amazed at the reactions this thread got, certainly in the beginning, as I was under the impression that this was just one of my pet peeves, but it seemed quite a few agreed with what I was posting, and NO it was not in essence about "oneliners" or short answers, as some of you seemingly mistakenly think/thought.
I can thin of several occassions where a oneliner is a perfect answer to a thread or a sign of appreciation to a poster, nothing wrong with that.
I did not ask for postcounts to be removed, I certainly had not identified the postcount as a reason for the type of posts I was raving about and I still don't but as usual have little problems with the decisions Hicks/Dr.Cox takes. (and if I do he will learn from this in private or on the admin board) I am not known to be a silent partner.

Maybe some may have noticed that unlike all other admins I do not have a reference to that in my ID, I did that for several reasons, one being that I want to post as me, the poster, the member, I do not feel that it should make any difference if SIG, or UB or Peck or a new poster posts an opinion on something that takes place here or an admin.

I don't mind SIG's rant, I don't mind mr. Kaufman's unsubstantiated "threat", you are all entitled to an opinion and thinking I am an old fool who makes a pommy point is something you are more then welcome to, though to those on the inside of knowledge it is somewhat idiotic, but that is my opinion, again one I am entitled to.

I was ranting in my initial post on a "trend" not on anything personal.
PM'ng people is usefull when it is 1 person or 2 or even 3, but not if it is a public trend.

It was a rant, the topic says so, the content says so, what more explanation do you want to start of with before you jump of a cliff?

I did not discuss it on the admin board because I felt it was a social interactive thing, something you discuss with your peers, the people posting, after all I could be fataly wrong in my opinion, though in this case there are to many "agree" posts to think that I have gone completely of my rockers, if such is still possible and hasn't happened earlier in life (which I think it has) but ask that from people who have met me.

I hoped to raise the awareness of people following the trend and create a reversal, nothing more nothing less, no matter what any of you speculate on, no matter what Kravitz writes, that is the one and only truth and I can say so because I posted it.

I have not attacked people personal in the initial post, and whilst I do not really care about people attacking me, and most certainly not on a forum, Ihave done so in this post, and whilst knowing that retaliation is wrong, I felt I could do that since SIG and Kaufman felt it neccessary to attack my personal integrity while there was no cause for that.
And while money buys you a new board, you will soon find that it does not buy you the friends I made here, nor does it buy you the communnity that's build here.

I will agree with Hicks that somewere today this post should or could be moved to the "feedback" forum or "shoutbox" or deletion-cemetry, I really nay care. I've said my piece, people are aware and mayve just maybe it has made a difference.

Is there anything more you can ask from a post you make then "it" making a (albeit small) difference?

Stryder
10-21-2005, 08:18 AM
Can we argue about something more exciting? Geeze.

How about the joys of taking a workplace poop...

Fool
10-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Repeating your opinion loudly and constantly does not make it the right one, listening what people are really saying and digesting that with what was your opinion and defining your "new" opinion is.

Tell that to the American political system.

The Toxic Avenger
10-21-2005, 10:13 AM
I know I'm late coming into this but I will give my two cents anyway.:D

I know that both Able and Soup were ranting, I do it all the time.

Let me just say up front that I know PaCeRsGuRL uses a lot of smilies but I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoy her posts... When she starts a thread I know that it will be a great one. Don't stop posting here and don't stop letting people know how you feel.

If anyone WASN'T thinking of the "we ride together" Gang then just say they weren't, it would be a good thing to clear the air, because thats what I am getting out of it.

If certain people are blaming SIG, Pacers#1Fan, and PaCeRsGuRL for the fall of PD, Which I think is preposterous, they should know that a lot of other people have changed thread Directions... and still many others have began posting only when the discussion has ended (kinda like I'm doing now) Has anyone in this thread, with the exception of maybe able and peck, NOT participated in the random thoughts thread or the in my pants thread... I know I have.

Maybe I was included in the Young Kids group as I am 20 and don't post as much about the Pacers as I do the Government, but again it is just NOW the preseason and things are getting under way.

The WRT gang are all on my buddy list and sometimes EVEN I THINK that certain posts weren't needed but I appreciate the post and its writer. I don't want any of them, or anyone else, to stop being themselves. Up until the "What _____ Song" era I didn't see a problem with the Pacers Forum... Everyone posted the right things where they were supposed to. I understand that those Musical threads were attempts at humor and that not everyone has the same sense of humor, but since those have been moved I digress.

The fact that this thread is already six/seven pages long after a day is only proof that everyone posts short blurbs that don't necesarily "add" to the topic at hand. I don't mind them. They show how peoples opinions have changed, how they are the same, or help defend/explain one's original opinion/Story.

I can't think of one member that isn't all guilty of posting short, meaningless responses and using smilies.

LET HE WHO HAS NOT HIJACKED A THREAD CAST THE FIRST SMILEY:)

LATE EDIT: Btown is one sick mother:blush:

Bball
10-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Has anyone in this thread, with the exception of maybe able and peck, NOT participated in the random thoughts thread or the in my pants thread....

..Don't think I have...

-Bball

grace
10-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Can we argue about something more exciting? Geeze.

You can if you want to, but that would require starting a new thread. If you don't that means you hijacked this thread. Oh wait. That already happened. :blush: Foreget I said anything.

Harddrive7
10-21-2005, 01:44 PM
To be honest, I'm scared to death to post here anymore, posting a reply is out of the question it seems. I understand needing rules to keep things "pleasantville" if you will, but man.

Some replies don't warrant 20 paragraphs to get someone's opinion. I would rather someone get right to the point instead of going around the block.

Oh well I guess that's just me.

Believe_in_blue
10-21-2005, 01:55 PM
To be honest, I'm scared to death to post here anymore, posting a reply is out of the question it seems. I understand needing rules to keep things "pleasantville" if you will, but man.

Some replies don't warrant 20 paragraphs to get someone's opinion. I would rather someone get right to the point instead of going around the block.

Oh well I guess that's just me.

This isn't about the size of your post at all. They have even said that there are times that one-liners are perfectly fine. What they dont want is people posting something that is completely off-topic, or something that changes that direction of the post that the starter of the thread did not intend. The only people that I see, and i'm guilty of as well is maybe bumping a thread with a simely. Thats pretty unnesessry. I don't think they care how long a post is as long as it is revelent.

Some people have voiced their displeasure with people simply saying I agree. In my oppinion that is perfectly fine. Some people don't have anything to add, but do want to let other members know where they stand on a certian issue. I know I like to know where other people stand on things even if they don't have anything to add to the post.

RWB
10-21-2005, 02:02 PM
This isn't about the size

Lucky for you we no longer go off topic, post one liners, or have smilies. ;)

Kaufman
10-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Hello everybody!
http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/315/315_hankey_flush.gif

And my point was, if the youngins want to post their smileys, I will back em. Whether financially or otherwise. I'd rather them come here when they get home from school than doing... other things. Its a safe environment and like was said by someone else, kinda like a second home type deal. I support what this website is all about, but I don't support infringement upon one's first amendment. That might go across the pond, but it don't work here.

RWB
10-21-2005, 02:09 PM
but I don't support infringement upon one's first amendment. That might go across the pond, but it don't work here.

Andy, in case you didn't know, Able completely supports this site out of his own pocket. First amendment doesn't apply here, though Able, Hicks and the other Admin do an unbelievable job in respecting that.

Suaveness
10-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Has anyone in this thread, with the exception of maybe able and peck, NOT participated in the random thoughts thread or the in my pants thread... I know I have.

Not me.....

8.9_seconds
10-21-2005, 03:15 PM
I understand where the whole idea comes from for this thread. There have been a couple times when I have posted a thread or in a thread when I wanted to talk about basketball and have a great conversation about Pacers basketball, because I can't anywhere else, and it has been overrun with some silly chatter that kind of takes away from my wanting a discussion. However, I like the light feeling around PD, the family joking feeling that I felt when I first got here.

Not to say that it's not friendly anymore, that's not the case at all. It just seems that there are an awful lot of threads that go offtopic and it's a tad bit more quarrelsome at times for the sheer reason of starting a fight.I am quite aware that in my early days I had quite a few shipped off to the Shout Box, deservingly. I'd like to think that I've found somewhat of a groove since that time and have become somewhat of a thought provoking poster.

I don't think that anything in the shout box should be debated. The shout box is there for a reason. The Random Thoughts thread and In my pants thread and such are in there because that's what that area is there for.

I will admit, there are times I won't even go into a thread with tons of smilies and IM lanuguage, but that's just because I don't enjoy reading those type of things, it seems impersonal. I think that is my problem, if people wish to type like that, it's their choice, I won't call them out for it if that's their style.

I love PD, I love to come here, I love that the age difference is diverse. I think, however, there needs to be some consideration for substance.

Stryder
10-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Andy, in case you didn't know, Able completely supports this site out of his own pocket. First amendment doesn't apply here, though Able, Hicks and the other Admin do an unbelievable job in respecting that.

Excellent post! Kudos to you!

:D

Raskolnikov
10-22-2005, 04:53 AM
I know this is a late reply but i ve only seen this thread today so...

I think i mostly agree with kaufmann (=the big negotiator in this discussion) and stryder (and probably others) on this one.

What is the big problem here? Let me try to discuss a few points :

off topic talk : i can understand people can get annoyed when they try to start a serious discussion on the pacers board for example and then it all of sudden becomes a joke and so...; but instead of reading the thread further and getting annoyed you can also just not read the thread anymore from the time you see it s getting off topic; getting off topic really is a normal human being reaction : people want to have fun, laugh and when they remark something funny in a serious subject they wanna share it with other people; that s completely normal and PD would be a rather boring place if no one here would have a sense of humor (which is luckily not the case); my point is, if you see that the thread is going off topic, then JUST DON T READ IT and let other people have their fun

smilies : :pity: who doesn t think smilies are fun; eliminating them would make PD not PD anymore : they have become an essential part of this community (;) )

the shout box : the shout box is the shout box; i can t believe there are people complaining about someone getting off topic in the shout box, read it s definition for jebus' sake!

post count : it is totally true that the number of posts gives a sort of hierarchy to PD; there s always a risk people are going to judge you regarding whether you re a newby or a long life PD member; hopefully that doesn t happen too much, maybe a good thing that the post count is off the table now

to sum up, the world has never become a worse place if people were a bit more tolerant to each other; and so PD won t either (become a worse place if people were a bit more tolerant to each other)

:cool:

Jermaniac
10-25-2005, 10:38 PM
You know what would improve posting, bringing the Game chat back and stopping those stupid game threads, man game threads used to be fun back in the day. Now its just a bunch of people post padding.

sweabs
10-25-2005, 10:48 PM
You know what would improve posting, bringing the Game chat back and stopping those stupid game threads, man game threads used to be fun back in the day. Now its just a bunch of people post padding.

That chat room is open...has been for a while now.

Hicks
10-26-2005, 09:45 AM
Padding their post count that doesn't get recognized? Hmm.

The chat is open AFAIK.

Lord Helmet
10-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Technically, it still gets recognized, but only if you take the time to look at the person's profile.

LOlz!11111111

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

SoupIsGood
10-27-2005, 04:43 PM
+1

Lord Helmet
10-27-2005, 05:47 PM
:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

LOL!!!!!!!!11111111111