PDA

View Full Version : Mark Cuban speaks again (on dress code)

Unclebuck
10-19-2005, 11:15 PM
NBA Dress Code - Response to reader comments (http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000287064079/)

http://www.blogmaverick.com/

The reality for the NBA however is that we have let the media coverage of our game be personality based. The NFL has someone on trial or in jail every single week. Sure hasnt affected their ratings at all. Why ? Because media coverage is of the team, game strategy and in game matchups. Most of us couldnt identify 90 pct of the players on our favorite football team in a lineup. You might know their name and number, but you have no idea what they look like.
Randy Moss gets high. No one says they wont watch the NFL because of it. So and so gets accused of beating such and such. Its reported. Its documented. No one turns off the NFL as a result. We arent talking about the NFL having an image problem, we talk about how the price for Super Bowl ads continue to go up. How many advertisers walk away from the NFL and claim its because of the NFL image ? Heck, the NFL turns away ads for a movie about sports gambling. Talk about hypocritical…No one cares.
Watch the pregame of NFL games. They have talked to coaches about plays. They talk about plays. They talk about defensive strategy. They talk about what will be run in which situations. Fans do the same. It makes watching the games a lot more fun.
What do we talk about before an NBA game ? Sure we talk about individual matchups. We might even talk about individual skills. But how many in the media even know that there is a play run and a defense called , with options, bailouts and audibles on almost every single possession ? And how many write or talk about them ?
Instead we get stupid ramblings like “so and so has got to step up and earn his money”. “This is where so and so has got to prove he is worth the money”. Watching the ESPN crew with Stephen A, Greg Anthony and Tim Legler is painful. They are a cliche a second. Same soundbites every single game, just the player names are changed. TNT isnt much better. At least Barkley is entertaining at saying nothing.
I was watching the Mavs vs Detroit preseason game last night. Cliche after Cliche. Not a single bit of new information. They spent half the game talking about a dunk that Darko had. Not to pick on these guys, its the same for every team, including from our guys.
Has anyone ever heard after a basket; ” I expect the Mavs to run a thumbs down or horns side in this situation. Detroit is probably expecting them to push the ball, so watch for the Pistons to use a send 4 to the Offensive boards and everyone else gets back when the ball goes up into a man to man, gold on the post, come on first dribble on an entry pass”.
Or the Pistons always seem to run a 42 in out of bounds situations. They have run it 64 pct of their inbounds possessions under their own basket. Here is how it works …
Never. Instead we get mindless drivel about players. I know the game is fast and doesnt have the breaks that football has, but there is still time to discuss these things during stoppages and free throws
Im just as guilty of letting it happen at the Mavs in our media. Its something I have to find a way to cure.
I said it in the previous post, the Dress Code is a response to symptoms of bigger problems. The simplistic views people have of our players, is in response to our own stupidity in how we cover and report our games. On a macro level.
On an individual level. If you think NBA players, or any professional athlete that you never have had any interaction with is a thug. Then the problem is yours. You are an idiot.

That is brilliant and I agree 100% I could not agree more than I do. His point about the media coverage of the NBA vs the NFL is so correct.

Cuban just went up a few notches in my book

GO!!!!!
10-19-2005, 11:22 PM
I started reading it... and then got lost..... i might try again once i have finished war and peace

I'll take ya word that it made sence UB

I do wish there was more info on Game plans and defensive rotations...

Hicks
10-19-2005, 11:22 PM
I agree 100% about media coverage when comparing NFL to NBA. I would be in heaven if the NBA coverage became like the NFL coverage in terms of discussing strategies and plays. I would learn a ton in just a month.

Suaveness
10-19-2005, 11:31 PM
He points out the great problem I have with watching the NBA. Nothing interesting at all. Just talking about players and nothing important. This is why I enjoy watching NFL a hell of a lot more on TV.

GO!!!!!
10-19-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm sure the whole info during the game was brought up last season... unless i'm dreaming i remember all the talk about it...

not sure anymore what is real or whats my imagination...

it had some thing to do with catering for the whole tv market and leaving die hard fans to dig up there own stats and game plans...

Pacers#1Fan
10-19-2005, 11:49 PM
I read the title to this thread and though to myself, "When doesn't Mark Cuban speak?".

Believe_in_blue
10-20-2005, 12:03 AM
I agree 100% about media coverage when comparing NFL to NBA. I would be in heaven if the NBA coverage became like the NFL coverage in terms of discussing strategies and plays. I would learn a ton in just a month.

I would probably know a whole lot more about basketball stagety if it was like that.

pizza guy
10-20-2005, 12:48 AM
Watching the ESPN crew with Stephen A, Greg Anthony and Tim Legler is painful. They are a cliche a second. Same soundbites every single game, just the player names are changed. TNT isnt much better. At least Barkley is entertaining at saying nothing.

Wow, what an absolutely hilarious segment of this. Of course, not intended to be hilarious, but, still, hilarious nontheless.

I'd love to have the NBA broken down like the NFL is. He touched on the time allowances being problematic, I agree with that. But, at some point, I'd like to hear something other than how dominant Shaq is; like why Shaq is so dominant, i.e. the system, role players, coaches, his responsibilities. I can say "Shaq is huge, he just bullies his way through," but, can I say why?

Knucklehead Warrior
10-20-2005, 07:51 AM
Beyond the comparison between NFL and NBA coverage and the dress code being symptomatic of bigger problems, what a tiresome piece of carp this was.

Nobody has to spend $2000 on a sport coat, especially if they have to spend that much on bling. And their dreams might not even be realized? Boohoo, those poor players. They have to pay taxes? OMG !

I'm way over 25 and I don't know anywhere near this many screwups.

Part of the reason we don't know what Nick Harper looks like is that he's wearing a helmet on the field, but I do know what most of the Colts look like. The coverage of the NFL is also, but not as much, personality based.

I don't know Ted Bundy or Jeff Daumer personally, but something tells me they were thugs. A guy beats up his girlfriend, he's a thug. Someone carries a gun to a bowling alley, ditto. You are the idiot Cuban.

Skaut_Ech
10-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Am I the only one seeing what a suckup job this is by Cuban. :confused:

Cuban likes to fancy himself as a rebel: a guy who takes it to Da Man. He's going to try his best to endear himself to NBA players, while dissing NBA headhonchos, aka Stern, in hopes of luring more talent his way. "See, I'm not like Da Man. I'm behind ya. I'll fight for ya. Play for me!" Cuban is simply trying to position himself as being part of the "in" crowd. :rolleyes:

When he talks about how the players get taxed and how it may be the only big contract they get, I gotta say big, freaking boo-hoo.

Did they bother to get their college degree, planning for the day that they don't play ball, or did the only see the statistically improbabe chance of having a long NBA career?

When they got that big paycheck, what did they do with it? I've related this story before, but I think it has bearing. Years ago, I was friends with some Colts (and a few other NFL players). I don't know if you guys remember Fredd Young? Lineback? played for the Seahawks, then us? Well, anyway, we were having some beers one day and I asked him about his money. How did he manage it. He said his first chunk of money, he set it up so that he will get paid every two weeks, until he was 50. He broke down his first big payday into increments, then had it set up so he got a trickle of it throughout the rest of his life. He also bought his mom a house. Now bear in mind the minimum NBA salary is about $400,000. What ARE they doing with that first paycheck?

I do agree the analysis needs to be a LOT better, but are WE at fault? We flock to shows because of the personalities, rather than the substance and the ratings bear that out. ESPN has turned into the sports entertainment network, with the emphasis on entertainment, and we, as fans, apparently like it. (I STILL won't watch ESPN unless there was a really big game that I didn't manage to catch highlights elsewhere. Espy Awards? Phoeey! Game analysis? Yeah, right.)

Cuban think the "thug" problem is simply perception and too much scrutiny, huh? Okaaayyy.....

brichard
10-20-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure if this is part of real life or the movie, but in Coach Carter, the kids were required to wear a suit and tie. They had to go to a Salvation Army or Goodwill if need be. When I worked at Lazarus earning $24,000 a year I was required to wear a suit and tie every day.

I agree that the commentators could do a better job.

18to88
10-20-2005, 01:46 PM
55% in taxes is a little ridiculous. I don't care how much you make.

grace
10-20-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm here to offer an alternative to the dress code. Yes, once again I am willing to take one for the team or rather for the greater good of the league.

My offer: Resind the entire code. Wear all the crappy t-shirts and baggy jeans you want. You want bling bling? I say bling bling until you can't stand up. I only ask for one thing in return. I want uniforms to go back to what they were in the '80s. Players say suits and ties are too uncomfortable. Fine. Bring back the kibbles and bits shorts and peace will reign once again.