PDA

View Full Version : Our man JJ...

NorCal_Pacerfan
10-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Looks like JJ is already rockin' out west.

He got the start against Utah and scored 18 with 4 of 7 threes in 29 minutes.

He got the start against the Clippers and was the leading scorer with 19 points,
3 of 8 threes in 35 minutes.

He got the start against the Sonics and scored 18 with 3 of 8 threes in 29 minutes.

So he's already averaging 18.3 PPG, 31.3 MPG, .476 FG% and .435 3P%.

I've already said this many times before. But I still believe we made a huge mistake letting this guy go. JJ is a special player, no doubt.

SoupIsGood
10-19-2005, 05:43 PM
:bananadea

Courtney Alexander once put up some nice preseason stats too....

317Kim
WOW! :mygod: thats great for JJ or JR ...(whatever ya wanna call him) though!

EDIT: I thought it was bad lettin him go too especially since he was worth more than an 08 2nd Rnd Draft pick...but we have Danny so it wasnt too bad...

Lord Helmet
I didn't want him to go, either.

But, it's not like he was going to get a lot of time here. Especially since we got Granger. I agree it would've been a mistake if we let him go and we didn't get Granger, though.

NorCal_Pacerfan
10-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Well, the thing about JJ that we don't know yet about Granger is that JJ is C-a-Lutch with a captial *C*. With Reggie gone, JJ's experience and Clutch-i-ness could have been the thing we'll need come playoff time. I hope Granger will be clutch. I'm am stoked for JJ though -I'm really glad to see him get the start on such a promising team. He's going to shine -and he seems like a Reggie type that just stays healthy. You can't put a price on that.

I have this strange feeling that Phoenix is laughing it's way to the bank.

317Kim
10-19-2005, 05:53 PM
:lol2: sorry this was too funny altho I do agree he was CLUTCH!
Clutch-i-ness

C-a-Lutch

NorCal_Pacerfan
10-19-2005, 05:55 PM
:lol2: sorry this was too funny altho I do agree he was CLUTCH!

I'm glad I could make you laugh with one of my rare comedic moments. ;)

317Kim
10-19-2005, 05:56 PM
I'm glad I could make you laugh with one of my rare comedic moments. ;)

:2tup: It was worth it!

Lord Helmet
10-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Well, the thing about JJ that we don't know yet about Granger is that JJ is C-a-Lutch with a captial *C*. With Reggie gone, JJ's experience and Clutch-i-ness could have been the thing we'll need come playoff time. I hope Granger will be clutch. I'm am stoked for JJ though -I'm really glad to see him get the start on such a promising team. He's going to shine -and he seems like a Reggie type that just stays healthy. You can't put a price on that.

I have this strange feeling that Phoenix is laughing it's way to the bank.
I think the last thing they are doing is laughing.

Since the Amare situation.....

NorCal_Pacerfan
10-19-2005, 06:01 PM
I think the last thing they are doing is laughing.

Since the Amare situation.....

In the big picture -yes. But he'll likely be fine when he returns in 4 months.

But I was obviously implying that they are laughing their way to the bank based upon the price they paid to aquire JJ, which was a mere 2nd round pick.

t1hs0n
10-19-2005, 06:04 PM
I am happy for JJ. He is a solid player and a great guy.

Though putting up 18ppg in the preseason isn't a huge deal.
I would say at this point Granger is the better player and the reason JJ is on another team.
Grangers line from last night Vs. the Spurs.....
19 points, 15 rebounds, two blocks, two steals

NorCal_Pacerfan
10-19-2005, 06:08 PM
I really hope that Granger lives up to the hype AND can stay healthy. He does seem like a more well rounded player. As Carlisle said - he tends to rush things. I'm sure he'll get his game worked out though. I look forward to watching him play this season.

317Kim
10-19-2005, 06:09 PM
yeah Danny is exciting to watch!

Lord Helmet
10-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I guess I would say the Suns got a steal, also.

With what they gave us.

SoupIsGood
10-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Yeah James would have been real clutch for us sitting on the IR..... :unimpress

Kaufman
10-19-2005, 06:19 PM
I liked JJ, but personally I like DG a bit better...

dagrubbs
10-19-2005, 06:24 PM
ITS PRESEASON I WOULDNT WORRY

Ragnar
10-19-2005, 06:25 PM
There are at least three players we should have dumped to keep JJ including FJ

317Kim
10-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Reg season starts in exactly 2 weeks!

Suaveness
10-19-2005, 07:12 PM
He's on an offensive oriented team, so his stats are going to be inflated a tad bit.

Kaufman
10-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Danny is gonna be an all-star one day. In fact, dare I say, DG will be the best player on our team in another 3 or so years. JJ and DG wouldn't have been able to share minutes.

NorCal_Pacerfan
10-19-2005, 07:37 PM

Finally - someone agrees. :cool:

Jon Theodore
10-19-2005, 07:41 PM
I agree we should of kept JJ and just used him as a backup 2 guard. Simple as that. He's better than Fred if you ask me and I think he will get a lot better than most people are expecting him to.

But its a done deal.

NorCal_Pacerfan
10-19-2005, 07:44 PM
I agree we should of kept JJ and just used him as a backup 2 guard. Simple as that. He's better than Fred if you ask me and I think he will get a lot better than most people are expecting him to.

But its a done deal.

It is a done deal. But I do agree that we have only seen the tip with regards to JJ. He has a lot of potential. If he can stay consistant, he'll get some recognition.

317Kim
10-19-2005, 08:52 PM
DONT TRADE FRED!!!!

FRED IS GOOD! :grinyes: :nod:

Tim
10-19-2005, 08:54 PM
I would have liked to keep JJ, but if we did then Danny would not play as much. Some have the feeling that Danny may be as successful as Scotty Pippen. That will never happen if he isn't allowed to play significant minutes every game. For the sake of Danny's development it was a good thing JJ left. And a healthy Bender isn't going to do Danny any good either, development wise.

grace
10-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Yeah James would have been real clutch for us sitting on the IR..... :unimpress

Who wasn't on the IR last year?

Unclebuck
10-19-2005, 09:43 PM
JJ is a nice player, but Granger is just a much better player, or I should say he'll be a much better player. No wait I think Granger is already a better player overall right now.

skyfire
10-19-2005, 09:49 PM
JJ will likely have a better season statistically than Granger, partly because of the extra minutes and also playing for the Suns, but Danny will have the better career.

Arcadian
10-19-2005, 09:50 PM
We aren't going to miss JJ. He wouldn't have gotten any minutes over Granger or taken any last shots over any JO, Ron, SJax, Tins/Saras. We couldn't have kept him barring a trade that cut salary and even then I imagine managment would have rathered the savings than JJ.

BlueNGold
10-19-2005, 09:54 PM
There is no comparison between DG and JJ. The only thing JJ has on DG at this time is experience and perimeter shooting. DG is already better fundamentally than JJ ever has been. The truth is, there is simply a large difference in the level of talent. That is why JJ was 2nd round and DG was a steal at #17. ...and that is why JJ was traded even though he was a great team mate. ...and that is why RA has repeatedly called DG a future all-star.

...BUT, I thought the Pacers would have gotten a better deal in a trade. I was disappointed the Pacers didn't try to package JJ in a large deal to get another beefy front court player. I would have liked to see JJ, AJ and Pollard or Croshere packaged for a reliable big man.

Anthem
10-19-2005, 10:46 PM
I continue to think we should have held on to JJ, then moved him to somebody willing to give us more than a #2.

Donnie's too loyal.

PacerMan
10-19-2005, 11:20 PM

Sorry, you are wrong about FJ.

Pacers#1Fan
10-19-2005, 11:47 PM
I will miss JJ but we have Granger. I'm over that trade.

Kegboy
10-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Screw fundamentals and talent. Danny's bball-IQ is already significantly higher than JJ's.

For example, you say "Danny Granger" and I think of him making plays all over the floor last night. You say "James Jones" and I think of the timid kid who stood around not doing **** once Reggie came back last winter.

JJ can shoot, no doubt about it. But name any other skill that Danny hasn't already shown in 3 measily preseason games he's better at?

Will Galen
10-20-2005, 12:02 AM
Let me throw in my two bits. I think we should have let Charlotte have JJ and kept Brezac. He would have been starting for us a lot last year and so far this year too.

That's what I predicted but it didn't happen.

pizza guy
10-20-2005, 12:02 AM
I loved JJ as much as anyone. The kid can flat out shoot. He's a decent defender, not Artest quality, but, we kept Reggie's defensive inability for 18 years. Given some playing time, JJ developed fairly well, and will continue to do so in PHX.

That said, Granger's my boy. I watched roughly the entire SA game and Granger was all over. He, JB, and Sarunas are going to be HUGE to this team. People try to compare Granger to old-school players, and all I can say is that he's a basketball player. Think of the most talented lunch-pale guy you can, and that's who Granger compares to.

Keep JJ? Yeah, I would've loved to. Keep Granger? Forever, he's a stud.

NorCal_Pacerfan
10-20-2005, 12:10 AM
I would love to have both of 'em! But I'm glad JJ will have a chance to get major minutes in Phx. And yes, I'm stoked we have Granger.

Kegboy
10-20-2005, 12:16 AM
Let me throw in my two bits. I think we should have let Charlotte have JJ and kept Brezac. He would have been starting for us a lot last year and so far this year too.

That's what I predicted but it didn't happen.

Considering we tried to bribe Charlotte not to take PB, I wouldn't be surprised if we were begging them to take JJ instead. Sadly, Bernie knew what he was doing.

bmac
10-20-2005, 01:36 AM
[QUOTE=NorCal_Pacerfan]Well, the thing about JJ that we don't know yet about Granger is that JJ is C-a-Lutch with a captial *C*. With Reggie gone, JJ's experience and Clutch-i-ness could have been the thing we'll need come playoff time. QUOTE]

Maybe you were watching a different season than I was. I saw a player with zero expectations come in and pleasantly surprise as a role player. He did his job and surprised some folks at first, but then began to fade as the season wore on. His minutes were sharply reduced even as the injuries and suspensions continued throughout the season. So I strongly disagree that JJ is "clutch". From a fan's perspective, he's just a guy you root for because he was a 12th man that got to start for a little while. That doesn't happen often in the NBA.

Sontayjuan
10-20-2005, 02:26 AM
there was no room for him on the team....he wouldnt have seen many minutes off the bench unless their were more injuries, he knew this and went to the better situation for him. it would have been a waste of talent if he stayed here.

dannyboy
10-20-2005, 10:39 AM
Bottom Line: No way Michael Curry ever starts over Danny Granger.

JJ is a nice player, though.

naptownmenace
10-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Bottom Line: No way Michael Curry ever starts over Danny Granger.

JJ is a nice player, though.

Ouch!

I like JJ, he was one of my favorites but I can't overlook the 0 for 5 with 0 points games we had with him starting. Once teams figured him out, he faded quite a bit (he played pretty well in the playoffs though).