PDA

View Full Version : SI- Opposites Attract

Pacers#1Fan
10-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Great article but there is already a thread for this.

Pacers#1Fan
10-19-2005, 10:05 AM
There's a thread saying they're on the cover of SI, but so far as I can tell, no thread with this article.

It's far too large and too good of a read to imbed it in a thread that's already degenerated into a smilie orgy.
Good point :laugh:

Unclebuck
10-19-2005, 10:34 AM
To say I liked that article is an understatement of biblical proportion.

Frank Slade
10-19-2005, 10:37 AM
So I guess this is next weeks edition right.. I went to WaldenBooks and of course they just have the Freeney Edition ..

Yes UB great article

Harmonica
10-19-2005, 11:19 AM
To say I liked that article is an understatement of biblical proportion.

What did you like about it exactly? Did you learn anything new?

Harmonica
10-19-2005, 11:24 AM
There's a thread saying they're on the cover of SI, but so far as I can tell, no thread with this article.

It's far too large and too good of a read to imbed it in a thread that's already degenerated into a smilie orgy.

Okay, what exactly did you embellish? The lower bowl thing obviously, but what else?

ChicagoJ
10-19-2005, 11:42 AM
You can get out of that article whatever you want to.

I still wouldn't trust him 0.000001% if it were me.

Will Bird be on the hot-seat the next time Ron blows up, either publicly or privately?

Frank Slade
10-19-2005, 11:49 AM
QUOTE=Jay@Section204]You can get out of that article whatever you want to.

I still wouldn't trust him 0.000001% if it were me.

Will Bird be on the hot-seat the next time Ron blows up, either publicly or privately ?

Did you really just post that Jay ?

Or is that UB's little brother on your PC ;)

fwpacerfan
10-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Great article - well written and microcosm of the enigma that is Ron Artest.

Jay - you must be taking the Steelers loss too hard - don't be so bitter.

Unclebuck
10-19-2005, 12:27 PM
What did you like about it exactly? Did you learn anything new?

I loved everything about it. It does make me wonder, if Bird were not "in charge" would Artest still be here.

Suaveness
10-19-2005, 12:56 PM
I absolutely love this article. I feel as though I can give to this to the people I know who think Ron is some mad psycho.

Harmonica
10-19-2005, 01:01 PM
I loved everything about it. It does make me wonder, if Bird were not "in charge" would Artest still be here.

There's an old adage UB, and I've found it to be true more often than not: Don't believe everything you read.

Hicks
10-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Did you love this too?

So what's there to learn? Nothing. Only thing to learn is that [commissioner] David Stern was trying to kick me out of the league."

And what about that anger-management counseling that Artest was to undergo during his suspension? "I was supposed to do it, but I didn't," he says. "[The incident in Detroit] had nothing to do with my anger. It had to do with a knucklehead [in the stands] being stupid. Everyone in the world would have done that, so everyone in the world should be taking anger management?"

Sorry, but it seemed like that was written in invisible letters to some of you.

Otherwise, I agree it's a good article.

Frank Slade
10-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Can anyone else see what Hicks posted?
Sorry you must be typing invisible letters
:innocent:

Kegboy
10-19-2005, 01:57 PM
Did you love this too?

Sorry, but it seemed like that was written in invisible letters to some of you.

Otherwise, I agree it's a good article.

I love that he called Stern out. And the anger management thing has been gone over so many times I don't care anymore.

However, I have a problem with this:

"It's hot in here/Cranberry, Belvedere/Plus the Pistons are here, so you know there's gonna be drama up in here/Get Ben Wallace in a choke hold and cut his hair/Yeah, and the ladies is laughin' as I smack with my left/While my right's signin' autographs."

While it's generally accepted that Ron could take Ben easily, this was still terribly stupid.

317Kim
10-19-2005, 01:57 PM
yeah its a good article :2tup:

Frank Slade
10-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Pacers Gurl are you off school today?

317Kim
10-19-2005, 02:30 PM
nope we had a half day! :thumbup:

Unclebuck
10-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Can't a guy love an article without all the nitpicking. Oh and for the millionth time I don't pay atttention to what Ronnie says, so take out all the Ronnie quotes I DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO THOSE.

317Kim
10-19-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure but I dont think UB pays attention to the Ronnie quotes..;)

fwpacerfan
10-19-2005, 03:01 PM
I mentioned that Ron was an enigma and my sig references that.

I agree w/UB on ignoring what Ron says but I find it almost impossible to do.

Suaveness
10-19-2005, 03:02 PM
So I should just delete my sig?

:grumble:

:censored:

Frank Slade
10-19-2005, 03:02 PM

:-p

I have signatures and avatars turned off anyway.. so your powers are useless on me...:evillaugh:

look btown another smilie orgy..

317Kim
10-19-2005, 03:07 PM
look btown another smilie orgy..

:lol:

SoupIsGood
10-19-2005, 03:25 PM
This was great article, you can tell by the number of cynics it brought into this thread.

Unclebuck
10-19-2005, 03:29 PM

I don't know what your sig says anyway. For work use I've got it set so i don't see any sigs or avatars.

Arcadian
10-19-2005, 03:39 PM
I thought it was a pretty boring article. Yeah! Everybody loves Ron-Ron!

However, there were two entertaining points for me: the lower bowls mention and the rhyming of laughin' and autographs.

Hicks
10-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Can't a guy love an article without all the nitpicking. Oh and for the millionth time I don't pay atttention to what Ronnie says, so take out all the Ronnie quotes I DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO THOSE.

Do you honestly consider that a legit excuse for Ron? "If I don't pay attention to the good OR the bad, it no longer means anything!" ?? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I just want to know what your rationale is.

Unclebuck
10-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Do you honestly consider that a legit excuse for Ron? "If I don't pay attention to the good OR the bad, it no longer means anything!" ?? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I just want to know what your rationale is.

Maybe I haven't explained why I don't pay any attention to what Ron says.

The reason why I stopped about two years ago was so I could keep my sanity. Ron says a lot of very worthwhile things, (some things he said in this article are very worthwhile) so if I got all excited everytime he says soemthing really good, then of course I would have to balance it by the stupid things he says. So why should I spend my time balancing all these things, when half the time he doesn't mean anything he says anyway.

So instead of going through the futile excercise of monitoring everything he says I ignore all of it.

I think that is very fair way to approach it. A lot more fair than many of you are. many of you choose only to fixate on the negative things he says.

Hicks
10-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Maybe I haven't explained why I don't pay any attention to what Ron says.

The reason why I stopped about two years ago was so I could keep my sanity. Ron says a lot of very worthwhile things, (some things he said in this article are very worthwhile) so if I got all excited everytime he says soemthing really good, then of course I would have to balance it by the stupid things he says. So why should I spend my time balancing all these things, when half the time he doesn't mean anything he says anyway.

So instead of going through the futile excercise of monitoring everything he says I ignore all of it.

I think that is very fair way to approach it. A lot more fair than many of you are. many of you choose only to fixate on the negative things he says.

This is true. I think you have to admit, however, that there's a good reason for that. And that's because the last 3 years haven't been triumphs and titles, they've been suspensions and bad reputations. The actions suggest the bad stuff is the truth.

SoupIsGood
10-19-2005, 04:17 PM
many of you choose only to fixate on the negative things he says.

ding

Unclebuck
10-19-2005, 04:22 PM
This is true. I think you have to admit, however, that there's a good reason for that. And that's because the last 3 years haven't been triumphs and titles, they've been suspensions and bad reputations. The actions suggest the bad stuff is the truth.

So you're saying all of his actions are bad ? Or even half of his actions are bad ? I'll take a bet that his good actions outweigh his bad actions

As far as triumphs go, the Pacers have won a lot of games with ole Ronnie running around out there. So if you want to monitor every good play against every bad play and every good word he says vs every bad word he says, you will drive yourself crazy.

SoupIsGood
10-19-2005, 04:26 PM
I'll take a bet that his good actions outweigh his bad actions

:planecrash:

Unclebuck
10-19-2005, 04:32 PM
ding

Wow that is very well written.

I hope this absurd discussion proves my point,

twscholl
10-19-2005, 04:39 PM
UB's point (if I understand it correctly) is well taken. Actions and words can be very different depending on circumstances... BUT, there is also a line that can be crossed verbally that you must answer for -- ask any politician.

Additionally, if you keep saying stupid thinigs, eventually, your actions mean less. No, its not fair, but its true.

For the record, I'm still willing to give Ronnie a chance, but I also must admit that his need for attention is starting to make me question his usefullness to the team.

grace
10-19-2005, 08:54 PM
It's very difficult to ignore what Ron says because the media won't ignore it. Like I told Kegboy today, I don't know if Ron is truly insane or if he is just saying stuff like that for the publicity. I didn't read the article and have no intentions to, but that has nothing to do with Ron. :innocent:

317Kim
10-19-2005, 08:56 PM
Ron? insane? nehhh...............

jk lol

fwpacerfan
10-20-2005, 10:05 AM
So if I understand correctly - if you like Ron you are in the Sunshine Brigade and everything is good with Ron. If you don't like Ron you are doom and gloom and Ron never does anything right.

I guess I'm lost because I don't belong in either camp entirely. I said it earlier and I'll say it again this article is a microcosm of Ron Artest. He says something good and then he says something stupid, he does something good, then something stupid.

Hicks mentioned actions - well this article talks about Ron playing p/u games w/the guys hanging out. It mentions him hugging his girl's classmates, making friends in the lockerroom. What do those actions mean? From everything I've ever heard Ron does a lot more good than bad overall. The problem is that his bad happens in front of 20,000 people and is broadcast to millions more. I can only remember one time Artest was in trouble with the law and I think the charges were dropped. So if actions speak louder than words then I guess Artest is a pretty good guy.

ChicagoJ
10-20-2005, 10:45 AM
First of all, I started to post a one-line/ smiley reply to the btown/ UB conversation last night. Glad I changed my mind. :innocent:

Secondly, fw, I'd probably agree with you quite strongly, but you left out one important variable that several of us have harped on for years and the above article hammers home in black-and-white.

Naturally, the subject of Artest came up at the press conference. Where does he fit into the fabric of the team? "We've accepted him back, not that we ever pushed him away," said O'Neal, who has had his share of tense moments with Artest. "We're all cool with him [on the team]." When O'Neal addressed Indiana's team chemistry, he added, "You're either with us or you aren't with us. We've got to be on the same page all the time." There was no doubt to whom he was referring.

Emphasis added

I still maintain that the worst things Ron has done didn't happen in front of 20,000 people and national television, but happened in front of less than probably 20-30 people - behind the scenes "nonsense" in front of his teammates, coaches, and management.

Now its a new season, and maybe (and maybe not) Ron has finally figured out how to be an acceptable-quality teammate. But there really should be no debate that Ron's been a major chemistry disruption for this team since he arrived, and he was a major chemistry disruption for his previous team. Those behind-the-scenes actions and words are far more important than this public actions and words (which already have an enormous amount of contradictions).

I actually agree with UB on this point, I don't pay much attention to what Ron says publicly, because for every good thing he says he'll say something else stupid to cancel it out. Net-net, the only thing we can make out if is that Ron can't seem to make up his mind whether he's going to be good or bad.

Hicks
10-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Hicks mentioned actions - well this article talks about Ron playing p/u games w/the guys hanging out. It mentions him hugging his girl's classmates, making friends in the lockerroom. What do those actions mean? From everything I've ever heard Ron does a lot more good than bad overall. The problem is that his bad happens in front of 20,000 people and is broadcast to millions more. I can only remember one time Artest was in trouble with the law and I think the charges were dropped. So if actions speak louder than words then I guess Artest is a pretty good guy.

Yes, Ron does a ton of good actions. He sounds like a great human being in the grande scheme of things. The problem is, his bad actions are always involving his career, and that's when I take issue. If we're looking at Ron Artest the human being, the good far outweighs the bad. If we're looking at Ron Artest the basketball player, I think that flip-flops.

SoupIsGood
10-21-2005, 11:22 PM
Yes, because god forbig we dont take everythign we hear/read as gospel, and dont challenge anything.............

+1 cynic

SoupIsGood
10-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Oh, I thought you would get more creative and add a "+1 hater".......... :rolleyes:

Sounds like your cynicism failed you.

Ultimate Frisbee
10-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the post... I liked the article... somehow it captures a lot of Artest...