PDA

View Full Version : Star and Pacers.com articles on Pacers-Spurs, 10-19-05

Will Galen
10-18-2005, 11:58 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/insider_051018.html

PACERS 94, SPURS 81
Inside The Game
By Conrad Brunner | Oct. 18, 2005 at Conseco Fieldhouse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you are about to read is not a typical postgame report but, then again, Pacers.com is not a typical Website. Anyone can tell you the who, what, when, where and why of an NBA game. We want to take you beyond the basic facts into the meaning of the evening's developments. Sometimes they'll be big. More often than not, they'll be small. But we're going to try very hard to enlighten you as to the most interesting, entertaining and ultimately relevant facts and figures from each game.

Granger

FORWARD THINKING GETS THE JOB DONE
They may not have any healthy centers for the time being, but the Pacers have plenty of robust forwards. Ron Artest was complemented nicely by Danny Granger and Jonathan Bender as the home team took control in the second half and rolled to a 94-81 preseason victory over San Antonio Tuesday night at Conseco Fieldhouse. Bender was spectacular in the second quarter, scoring 13 of his 17 points. Artest (20 points, 13 rebounds) and Granger (19 points, 15 rebounds, two blocks, two steals) were solid throughout, both recording double-doubles. Bender didn't play in the second half as a precaution to protect his comeback from three seasons of knee problems.

Tinsley

THIRD-QUARTER RUN MADE THE DIFFERENCE
Jamaal Tinsley had an odd sort of game. He had six missed shots before finally making a basket (following his own miss). He had six turnovers before his first assist. And yet he was extremely effective in the decisive third-quarter run, a 21-4 burst that turned a 52-45 deficit into a 66-56 lead and the Spurs didn't threaten thereafter.

INJURIES MESSING WITH THE PLAN
Though a handful of players returned to action, none were centers, where the Pacers are so shorthanded it's messing with the coaching staff's ability to prepare the team for the regular season. Asked if the injuries have disrupted the schedule, Coach Rick Carlisle answered, "A lot. We're still doing a lot of the things we're going to do but when you don't have three 7-footers out there, it's hard. We've just got to roll with it." Scot Pollard is out at least three weeks with a torn calf muscle, David Harrison at least 10 days with a torn abdominal muscle and Jeff Foster isn't expected to be ready for the start of the regular season because of a sore Achilles. On the bright side, Fred Jones, Anthony Johnson, Bender and Tinsley all came back from injuries to play against the Spurs. Jermaine O'Neal missed his fourth game in a row with a bruised thigh but could return for Thursday night's game in Billings, Mont.

IMPERFECT MARK NOT JINGLE-JANGLING SPURS
It's an important thing in the media business to try to find ways to develop local angles to as many stories as possible. So, here we go. The Spurs are 0-5 in the preseason, which didn't exactly send shockwaves around the NBA, but it was kind of strange. They can take heart in our trusty local angle, however. The Colts were winless in their preseason and currently are the talk of the NFL with a perfect 6-0 record. After winning the NBA title, the Spurs added Michael Finley and Nick Van Exel, so it's not like expectations are fading. "They won the championship and you can make the argument they improved their team as much as anybody in the league," Carlisle said. "It's a scary thought. But they haven't had this type of depth before so it's an adjustment they'll have to make."

DOT-COM DOTS ...
The Spurs played without Tim Duncan (coach's decision) and forward Fabricio Oberto (sprained ankle). Lawrence North High School center Greg Oden, the nation's top prep player, watched the game from a courtside seat. The Pacers head to Billings, Mont., to face Minnesota on Thursday night. The game will be something of a homecoming for radio play-by-play man Mark Boyle, who spent his summer calling the games of the Class A Billings Mustangs minor-league baseball team. The Pacers are 3-1 in the preseason.

Will Galen
10-18-2005, 11:59 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/quotes_051018.html

Postgame Quotes
Pacers 94, Spurs 81
Oct. 18, 2005 at Conseco Fieldhouse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PACERS COACH RICK CARLISLE

You always look to win the game. But there are areas we have to look to get better. Seven assists in the first half isnt going to get it done for us. We did some things well, as a team. But we still have to get better."
(On Danny Granger) "Hes getting over his jitters. But hes got things he has to get better at, as well. But its tough. Were asking him to learn two positions. Danny has a tendency at times to be in a hurry. But he is a guy that is going to study the game and work to get better. He certainly brings effort to our team."

(On Jonathan Bender) "He is going to generate a lot of dynamic things offensively. And I thought he played well at the defensive end, tonight. Right now, were trying to condition him to where he can play with some consistency. Hes a guy who can certainly help us.

PACERS FORWARD DAMONE BROWN

(On making the team) "You have to be at the right place at the right time and take advantage of it. Finding a place on this team will be tough. But I feel that I can do some things that can help this team win. I have more than one skill and am willing to play hard all the time and leave my game on the court. It will be up to the coaching staff as to whether you make it or not.

PACERS GUARD FRED JONES

(On first game back) "I felt fairly comfortable, but it will be a while before I will be able to settle in and play my game. Theyll have to pick and choose places to use me and give the chance to get myself back into playing shape. I must play more aggressive and just work hard.

PACERS FORWARD JONATHAN BENDER

(feelings on game) "Its the normal pre-season game. I must keep building up strength, taking the ball to the hoop, and sometimes taking people with me, which will allow me to dish off the other players. I think I played alright tonight. I need to be a little more aggressive and keep my game going in the direction it is now."
(On his knee) "It is what it is.

SPURS COACH GREGG POPOVICH

It was a typical pre-season game. We wanted to give everyone a chance to run. Its hard to get a good flow and get familiar without your normal rotations. Were trying to get in shape and avoid injury.

SPURS FORWARD MICHAEL FINLEY

(On fitting in, and his role on this team) "Its been a slow process. I thought I would be able to come right in and pick everything up. But I find myself still trying to figure out their offensive philosophy and defensive philosophy. A lot of things are not come natural to me. I find myself still doing a lot of thinking on the court. But the players and coaches have just told me to play basketball. As we finish up these last few games in the pre-season, I think things will feel more comfortable and start to fall into place."
(Why he chose San Antonio) "The other teams that I considered had a lot of unknowns, which could be a good or bad thing as the year plays out. Here, there were no unknowns. The coaching staff was established, the core group of players was established, so it was an easy decision to make. They have a real swagger about themselves. It is not cockiness. It is a confidence, knowing that they can turn it up defensively and shut teams down. There is no bickering, the coaches are well respected, and everything all falls into place.

SPURS GUARD TONY PARKER

(on Sarunas Jasikevicius) "Sarunas is real big over there. Hes the best point guard in Europe for the past couple years. Hes won a couple of championships, so yeah the love him over there. Its hard to compare him to somebody here because in the states sports are such a big thing, where as in Europe Soccer is still the big thing."
(On Teams improvement of bench) "Our bench is a lot better. Weve got a bunch of new guys coming off of it. People like, Michael Finley and Nick Van Exel. The team is just working to get back in shape and its hard to improve a championship team, but I think weve done that. When I was over in Europe this summer, and I heard from Pop (Gregg Popovich), that we got these guys, I was excited and definitely surprised because you dont know it guys are willing to sacrifice that much money in order to win a championship.

Will Galen
10-19-2005, 12:00 AM
A blurb from Pacers.com

Open Practice Set For Tech High School
The Pacers have scheduled an open practice and scrimmage at Arsenal Technical High School on Saturday starting at 11:30 a.m., creating another avenue for the players to get closer to their fans.

Destined4Greatness
10-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Where is Arsenal Tech isn't that near I-37

BTW CRAP Pollard won't be back in time to guard Shaq TWICE.

Anthem
10-19-2005, 12:16 AM
Carlisle: We just have to roll with it. :laugh:

SoupIsGood
10-19-2005, 12:27 AM
Where is Arsenal Tech isn't that near I-37

BTW CRAP Pollard won't be back in time to guard Shaq TWICE.

:(

We better hope David is up to task.

We ask Polard to really play about 4 times a season, I can't believe he's going to miss two of them.... :grumble:

denyfizle
10-19-2005, 12:27 AM
I saw the game at the Fieldhouse a while ago and like the game against the TWolves I am very Impressed with a capital I with how our rooks are playing.

Saras is SOLID! He is your perfect pick n roll PG. He can dish it at any angle, has that dangerous J and knows just where and when to deliver the pass to his reciever. He didn't score any points but man can he run a team or what? I don't know if the game was televised or not but I assume it was coz I saw Al Albert and Stacey Paetz doing some broadcasting by courtside. If it didn't look much on TV like most of his highlight liked here, they sure do look impressive live. Saras I think will be able to run the offense a lot better than JT after a few months. He just has great vision and moves the ball fast and accurate and with how JT was throwing TOs everywhere I think he really has to step his game up or his starting job may be in danger. JT clearly is the better and stronger athlete, defender and one on one penetrating the lanes but he still has an inconsistent J that give defenders the luxury of cheating on D which they cant do with CABBAGE and still has his wild out of control moments.

Danny Granger is a BALLER! Let's just talk about his D. He was always around the hoop for rebounds. Always chases looseballs. Blocks shots and defends well. He took 2 charges and stripped his man the ball at least twice that I could remember. And he never gives up on the play always very active. In the beginning he seemed tentative and hessitant offensively but only because I think he can do so much that the jitters and adjustment got him thinking more than just letting his offense flow naturally. As he broke sweat and the game progressed he looked a lot better and should be the trend as he gets more experience thru the season. But next to Artest, DG probably is our next best defender out there.

JB was awesome! I really hope he stays healthy and Im saying this not just for our team's sake. The guy is sooooooooooooooooo darn talented you just feel sorry for him that he can't just let it all loose coz of his fragile knees. Monster dunk after And Ones, JB was a monster- well atleast tonight he was.

ARTEST was unstopable. He was just overpowering everyone. His range is still there too. As long as he's out there we have a chance to win against anybody.

:sarunas: :granger: :bender: :artest: :gopacers:

sweabs
10-19-2005, 12:37 AM

That's reassuring!

denyfizle
10-19-2005, 12:38 AM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/quotes_051018.html

PACERS FORWARD JONATHAN BENDER

eheh... is he hinting something :shakehead

Kaufman
10-19-2005, 12:49 AM
I-37? I don't think there's such a thing in Indiana.

I think Arsenal Tech is on the near southside. Maybe 5 minutes straight south of downtown, just east of Meridian, I think. I could be thinking of another school though.

Destined4Greatness
10-19-2005, 12:52 AM
I 37 runs out of Bloomington. Towards Indy

Will Galen
10-19-2005, 04:34 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051019/SPORTS04/510190452/1088

pacers 94, spurs 81
Granger impresses Artest
Rookie scores 19 points, pulls down 15 rebounds as Pacers beat Spurs

By Mike Wells
mike.wells@indystar.com

The Pacers' locker room was empty except for two players who combined to pull down 28 rebounds in Indiana's 94-81 victory Tuesday night over the San Antonio Spurs at Conseco Fieldhouse.

Separated by just an empty locker, Pacers forward Ron Artest called rookie Danny Granger over to congratulate him for his 19-point, 15-rebound performance against the defending NBA champions.

"He's very, very good," said Artest, who had 20 points and 13 rebounds. "I feel confident when I'm out there playing with him. He just has to learn how to make plays better. That will come with time. He's going to be an elite player one day."

The Pacers may have gotten the steal of the draft in Granger, a projected top-10 pick who slipped to No. 17. Many in the organization have been raving about him for weeks and they say he'll be a contributor this season. Granger added two blocked shots, two steals and drew two offensive fouls.

"He ain't a rookie," Pacers guard Stephen Jackson said. "He's playing well and he's carrying himself as a veteran."

Granger missed playing in the summer league while his left knee healed and he didn't play in the team's first preseason game because of a sprained ankle. He's averaging 15.5 points and 11 rebounds in the past two preseason games.
"The jitters are gone," he said. "I'm playing (power forward) and (small forward). It's hard switching from one spot. I'm getting the hang of it. I'm still making rookie mistakes, but it's only my third game."

The shortage of big men has forced Granger to rotate between the forward positions. He'll primarily back up Artest at small forward during the regular season.

"He's got to learn two perimeter spots and two post positions," coach Rick Carlisle said. "It's a tall order for a rookie. I admire his diligence. He did a lot of very good things out there. He has some things to get better at as well. He certainly brings the effort."

Granger's work ethic has never been questioned, but it's become more intense around Artest.

The two would often play one-on-one for hours in the summer until the coaches told them they had to leave the gym.

"He plays hard all of the time," Granger said about Artest. "You see some guys do it on offense, but they don't do it on defense. He plays hard 24-7; whether he's taking the ball out of bounds or walking up the court, he's putting an elbow in your chest."

Granger will go through rookie growing pains, like being called for five personal fouls Tuesday. What the Pacers like, though, is that he doesn't let frustration show.

"Danny has a lot of experience for a rookie player," Carlisle said. "He's an older guy. I love his businesslike demeanor. But I know if you're a rookie, things in your head are spinning. I admire the fact that he's able to give that appearance."

Forward Jonathan Bender, who has been limited to 74 games over the past three seasons due to an assortment of injuries, had a strong performance Tuesday, scoring all 17 of his points on 6-of-8 shooting in the first half. Carlisle held Bender out in the second half to make sure he would be able to practice today and play Thursday against the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Will Galen
10-19-2005, 04:36 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051019/SPORTS04/510190436/1088

Wardrobe rules leave players unfazed
Pacers' Jackson is upset, however, with ban on chains

By Mark Montieth
mark.montieth@indystar.com
The NBA's new dress code has met with general acceptance from the players.
It's not unanimous, however.

While most players have no objection to wearing sport coats or suits on the bench when appearing in public, complaints have been raised about the ban against chains.

"I have no problem dressing up . . . because I know I'm a nice-looking guy," Indiana Pacers guard Stephen Jackson said Tuesday. "But as far as chains, I definitely feel that's a racial statement. Almost 100 percent of the guys in the league who are young and black wear big chains. So I definitely don't agree with that at all."

A new policy regarding the players' attire was announced Monday. It permits dress jeans on the bench and allows team warm-up uniforms on flights, but bans T-shirts, retro jerseys and headgear.

The dress code falls in line with those in other leagues, and is an attempt to upgrade an image that has become tarnished in recent seasons.
"I think it's a good thing," said Austin Croshere, the Pacers' player representative. "I think there should be some creative expression on the part of the players to dress in a manner that fits them, but at the same time to portray the professionalism the league wants.

"Guys will fight it at first, but 90 percent of the people in this country go to work every day with a suit on. My dad did it for 40 years."

Philadelphia guard Allen Iverson has been one of the more vocal critics of the new policy, calling it "something I'll fight for."

"Just because you put a guy in a tuxedo, it doesn't mean he's a good guy," Iverson said. "It sends a bad message to kids. If you don't have a suit on when you go to school, is the teacher going to think you're a bad kid?"

Denver's Marcus Camby suggested the players be given a clothing allowance, but the Pacers' Jermaine O'Neal doesn't object to buying new clothes.
"There's some battles in life that you just can't try to fight," O'Neal said. "Guys make enough money to put on some dress clothes.
"My plan this year was to dress up anyway. I have 40 to 50 suits already. I should be one of the best-dressed guys this year."

Ron Artest plans to dress up, too, although in a less conventional manner.
"I'm not really a suit guy, so I'm going to have some fun with it," he said, smiling. "I'll wear, like, purple shoes, yellow slacks, a burgundy shirt, cut-up tie and a lavender sport coat. I'm going to mix it up."

Jamaal Tinsley has been the Pacers' most casual dresser, wearing jeans and T-shirts on the bench when injured, but plans to conform to the code.
"That's the last thing we should be worrying about," he said. "If we're going to sit around and complain and worry about it, we're getting sidetracked."
Better dress won't necessarily guarantee better behavior, however, as Atlanta's Tony Delk pointed out.

"They were fighting in suits last year in Detroit, weren't they?" Delk said.

Will Galen
10-19-2005, 04:38 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051019/SPORTS0403/510190457/1088/SPORTS04

Davis decides to join Knicks

Star news services
The shock of being traded against his wishes has worn off, and power forward Antonio Davis joined the New York Knicks on Tuesday, saying he plans to buy into coach Larry Brown's program rather than seek a buyout.
Davis reported to the Knicks' training camp Oct. 5, one day after the trade for him and center Eddy Curry was approved by the league. He returned to Chicago the next day because his mother-in-law was set to undergo surgery, but Davis also was reluctant to rejoin the Knicks because he didn't want to uproot his family.

Explaining his negative reaction, Davis, 36, said, "I've been thinking about change, thinking about my kids, thinking about our foundation being disrupted. And there are a lot of mixed feelings.
"None of it had anything to do with basketball or the city."
Attorney: No new trial

Jayson Williams cannot be retried on a reckless manslaughter charge in the shooting death of a hired driver because a jury already acquitted him of three other charges resulting from the same shotgun blast, a lawyer for the former NBA star said.
Williams, 37, has remained free on bail since his April 30, 2004, conviction on four charges stemming from a failed attempt to cover up the fatal shooting.
While the Somerset County (N.J.) jury acquitted him of the most serious charges, including aggravated manslaughter, it could not reach a verdict on a reckless manslaughter charge. Prosecutors are seeking a retrial.
Divac retires

Vlade Divac ended his 16-year NBA playing career, easing into a new job with the Los Angeles Lakers as a liaison and scout in Europe.

317Kim
10-19-2005, 06:22 AM
thanks for the articles. jus so ya kno some of the dates on here say 11-19 (:puke:)

I'm sure Hulk will do fine against Shaq... :box: :thumbup:

RedPitSea
10-19-2005, 06:28 AM
Whats up people! Well you have a new Pacers fan here and what you saw from Danny was just the start from a very talented player. He wont jump out of the gym or be the first player down but what he brings on every other level makes up for this. DG is a great weakside defender and you will see alot of his blocks come from the here. Us Lobo fans cant tell you what a steal you got and how 16 teams are going to be kicking themselves for passing on DG. Theres something that some players just have... that "it" and he has it. If you guys dont know circle the Buck games because Bogus and Danny cant stand eachother so look for Danny to be up for these games. ROY Go Danny! Go Pacers! and Go Lobos! UNM

317Kim
10-19-2005, 06:34 AM
:welcome: !!!

317Kim
10-19-2005, 06:35 AM
:woohoo: we killed the Spurs in the paint!!
Pacers- 50
Spurs-34

Was tonight Danny's first double double game?

RedPitSea
10-19-2005, 06:36 AM
Thank you just thought id pop over and gush a little on how great dannys going to be... LoL

RedPitSea
10-19-2005, 06:37 AM
In the big leauges I believe so...yes

317Kim
10-19-2005, 06:40 AM
Okay! Say as much as you want b/c I love the guy! :grinyes:

RedPitSea
10-19-2005, 06:44 AM
LoL I will check in with you guys from time to time but you guys have only sniffed what he can do. Lobo fans all knew how good he was but I think were all a little freaked out on the praise hes gettting from the vets. Is that like Ron and the other guys?

317Kim
10-19-2005, 06:47 AM
:2tup: cant wait to see everything!!

Unclebuck
10-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Tech is just east of downtown

Pacers#1Fan
10-19-2005, 08:41 AM
I'm glad the injuries aren't very serious.

Pacers#1Fan
10-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Granger was very impressive last night.

Anthem
10-19-2005, 09:57 AM
Granger will go through rookie growing pains, like being called for five personal fouls Tuesday. What the Pacers like, though, is that he doesn't let frustration show.

I thought we caught him dropping the f-bomb? Or does "doesn't let frustration show" mean "doesn't destroy TV cameras"?

t1hs0n
10-19-2005, 10:46 AM
"Granger (19 points, 15 rebounds, two blocks, two steals)"

Nice!

I am with Jax on this guy... The Pacers managed to draft a vet.

317Kim
10-19-2005, 02:10 PM
I thought we caught him dropping the f-bomb? Or does "doesn't let frustration show" mean "doesn't destroy TV cameras"?

5 times total!

317Kim
10-19-2005, 02:10 PM
"Granger (19 points, 15 rebounds, two blocks, two steals)"

Nice!

I am with Jax on this guy... The Pacers managed to draft a vet.

:nod:

RWB
10-19-2005, 02:26 PM
[QUOTE=Will Galen]
Davis decides to join Knicks

Star news services
The shock of being traded against his wishes has worn off, and power forward Antonio Davis joined the New York Knicks on Tuesday, saying he plans to buy into coach Larry Brown's program rather than seek a buyout.
Davis reported to the Knicks' training camp Oct. 5, one day after the trade for him and center Eddy Curry was approved by the league. He returned to Chicago the next day because his mother-in-law was set to undergo surgery, but Davis also was reluctant to rejoin the Knicks because he didn't want to uproot his family.

Explaining his negative reaction, Davis, 36, said, "I've been thinking about change, thinking about my kids, thinking about our foundation being disrupted. And there are a lot of mixed feelings.
"None of it had anything to do with basketball or the city."

QUOTE]

Not a surprise here.

317Kim
10-19-2005, 02:32 PM
yeah he said it was hard to make the decision etc :rolleyes:

Jon Theodore
10-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Yeah i for sure saw Granger dropping an f bomb. But that was on a ridiculous call.

t1hs0n
10-19-2005, 06:07 PM
I see nothing wrong with droping the "F-bomb" it just shows his fire for the game.

317Kim
10-19-2005, 06:08 PM
that or he was piiiiiissed! :nod: