PDA

View Full Version : Observations on the SA Game

brichard
10-18-2005, 11:06 PM
This is the first game I've been able to see this year. It is difficult to make any real predictions b/c you never know how much rust and inexperience with the new guys and the team can influence things.

Granger- This guy seems to be as good as advertised. I am most encouraged by his ability to rebound and score almost anywhere around the basket. He just seems so automatic around the basket, and unlike guys who have one "go to move," he just seems to know where the basket is and has a variety of ways to get it in the hole. What a nice pickup he seems to be.

Sarunas- He has court vision, and you just can't teach that. Unfortunately I don't think his teammates are ready to receive his passes all the time, but that should get better with time. He didn't shoot real well tonight, but he really does have a quick release. He is definitely a pass first point guard.

Overall my biggest concerns are that we don't seem to be playing real cohesively, particularly on defense. However, should we expect that in pre-season and some of our key reserves out? I am concerned though, b/c I think our team is made up of a bunch of guys with some great one on one moves, but not many seem to have the ability to make each other better.

For lack of a better term, it just seems to me that we score in a "Jalenish" way. And it isn't so much that we forced alot of shots tonight, but I'm not sure we always work to take what the defense gives us. I don't know if that makes any sense, but just an initial take on the team.

Artest- What can you say, he was shooting lights out tonight. He hit it inside and he hit it from deep. I kept meaning to pay attention to him on defense tonight, but every time I tried I got distracted. Ah well, maybe another day.

Bender- He looked great tonight.

Austin- He started out so well. He hit a little short range jumper at the beginning of the game, but he just seemed to get worse as the day went on. Just some poor overall decision making with his shot tonight. He continues to be a guy you only want to play if the planets are aligned just right.

Tinsley- I liked his individual effort. This is just a guy who doesn't like to lose. I'm just not sure he circled the wagons tonight when we were playing out of control though.

Well, thats my :twocents:

Kaufman
10-18-2005, 11:35 PM
If we can stay healthy? I think we've got something here.

Call me Mr. Obvious.

Believe_in_blue
10-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Overall my biggest concerns are that we don't seem to be playing real cohesively, particularly on defense. However, should we expect that in pre-season and some of our key reserves out? I am concerned though, b/c I think our team is made up of a bunch of guys with some great one on one moves, but not many seem to have the ability to make each other better.

For lack of a better term, it just seems to me that we score in a "Jalenish" way. And it isn't so much that we forced alot of shots tonight, but I'm not sure we always work to take what the defense gives us. I don't know if that makes any sense, but just an initial take on the team.

I kind of agree but I think we will come together once were healthy and have a chance to start to jel.

SoupIsGood
10-18-2005, 11:42 PM
If we can stay healthy? I think we've got something here.

http://www.ctgilles.net/images/pictars/master_obvious.jpg

;)

Destined4Greatness
10-18-2005, 11:46 PM
I couldn't see the game, but it seemed like JT started to get his game going late.

Unclebuck
10-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Good observations Brich

Overall I thought the Pacers had some very good individual performances, but their team play was not very good. They have to get that straightened out in the next two weeks.

Evan_The_Dude
10-19-2005, 12:02 AM
Good observations Brich

Overall I thought the Pacers had some very good individual performances, but their team play was not very good. They have to get that straightened out in the next two weeks.

I haven't been able to watch any games yet, but the alarming stat to me thus far has been the lack of assists. It tells me we're not moving the ball around very well as a team. From what you say here, it seems that I've made the correct assumption.

Anthem
10-19-2005, 12:18 AM
Call me Mr. Obvious.

Will you make up your mind?

(I still prefer Dr. Indy).

aceace
10-19-2005, 12:31 AM
If you think about who didn't play, and who played reduced minutes you won't worry about the team part of this game right now. This may be the deepest NBA team ever. We have 5-6 guys that will come off the bench that could start for probably 2/3 of the rest of the NBA. When Runi gets more experienced he will be pushing JT and getting minutes at the 2. Bender, Granger and Harrison will by far be the best 2nd frontline in the history of the game. I look for Bender to play the 4 all season and maybe 6th man (lets hope for a healthy season) It will be interesting to see who backs up Jax other then Runi. If we play 10 every night probably Freddie. Whats sad is AJ and Cro being the odd guys out. They are capable of great nights themselves. We have 12 guys that can start.

Kaufman
10-19-2005, 12:54 AM
Dr. Obvious then?

Jon Theodore
10-19-2005, 01:34 AM
Yeah, Sarunas is too good of a PG for this team as of now. The players aren't allowing him to do what he does best. But he had a couple of great passes.

But I foresee this team really gelling halfway through the season. Sarunas is going to take getting used to.

It is true we were scoring based off of individuals performing well, it wasnt much of a team effort. But everyone on our team is so talented, it could work. Especially if everyone knows who to get it to at the right time.

Bender was absolutely AMAZING. That is for sure the best performance i've ever seen from him. That was the type of performance I expect out of Jermaine EVERY NIGHT.

We need a healthy DH and a healthy foster and this team will do some damage. But we need big guys. Samaki Walker looks like a nice addition too, since we will pick him up. He had a great block in the beginning of the game.

Granger will for sure be an all-star. Ronnie was right. Granger has the makings to be a franchise player. It seems like everything is going to work out perfectly for the Pacers.

I expect a bit of a rocky start to the season, possibly earning us a lower seed (which works to our advantage.)

I see this team playing great for the 2nd half of the season, probably losing around 7 games in the 2nd half of the season. As soon as these guys are all comfortable and all know their roles, it's over. No roster has this much depth, besides San Antonio.

But we are going to dominate the east.

Eindar
10-19-2005, 06:50 AM
I know they compare Danny Granger to Scottie Pippen, but from what I've seen so far, right now he's more in line with a young Shawn Marion. I don't think his passing skills are quite as good as Pipp's, but he looks to be a better rebounder, a la Marion.

317Kim
10-19-2005, 07:09 AM
I couldn't see the game, but it seemed like JT started to get his game going late.

:nod: he was doin real well in the 3rd quarter!

owl
10-19-2005, 09:51 AM
I know they compare Danny Granger to Scottie Pippen, but from what I've seen so far, right now he's more in line with a young Shawn Marion. I don't think his passing skills are quite as good as Pipp's, but he looks to be a better rebounder, a la Marion.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

I believe what is really unique about Granger is his defensive awareness and
ability. He had 2 blocked shots and took 2 offensive charges. That is Pippin
like ability. He has a good handle on the ball and good hands.
His outside shot needs work. It is hard to believe he is just a rookie.
As they said in the Star article the players say he does not play like a
rookie. Add a little more strength and goodness you have a really good
player.

owl

Pacers#1Fan
10-19-2005, 10:01 AM
I went to the game last night and what impressed me the most was the preformance of Granger and the way Tins banged with the bigs in the post. Bender was also very impressive.

Pacers#1Fan
10-19-2005, 10:04 AM
The world's tallest women was at the game last night. I'm 6' and when I walked behind her she was up to my nose and she was sitting down. She was cool to see.

Frank Slade
10-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Thank you half the League .. who passed up on Granger..
:drool:

This guy is in one word "solid"... The question is not what can he do, but what can't he do?? Defend. Rebound, box out even (gasp). shoot the three.. I remember Slick saying wow I didn't realize he could shoot the three ball so well... and yes Yahoo Fantasy Sports has him listed as a SF/PF...not just a SF.. even they know ;)

Yes I have got a man crush on Granger :blush:

:sunshine:

loborick
10-19-2005, 10:48 AM
As soon as Danny's outside shot starts falling, you guys won't believe how good he really is. What will really amaze you is how fast his hands are. He led the conference in steals last year! He does it all. The gods were looking favorably at you when DG fell to 17th. Many other teams are going to be kicking themselves this year.

317Kim
10-19-2005, 02:08 PM
yeah no kiddin! THANKS TEAMS WHO HAD A PICK FROM 1-16!!! :grinyes:

The world's tallest women was at the game last night. I'm 6' and when I walked behind her she was up to my nose and she was sitting down. She was cool to see.

I didnt think she was soo tall until you said she was sitting down.. :laugh:

RWB
10-19-2005, 02:32 PM
The thing that impressed me the most last night was watching how well Saras could defend his guy from behind. Yes I'm being sarcastic, didn't realize how bad of a defender he was. All we can do is pray for improvement.

317Kim
10-19-2005, 02:42 PM
oh yeah Greg (Oden) was there too...

Skaut_Ech
10-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Yeah, Sarunas is too good of a PG for this team as of now. The players aren't allowing him to do what he does best. But he had a couple of great passes.

But I foresee this team really gelling halfway through the season. Sarunas is going to take getting used to.

As an official Cabbage jocker, I have to agree, in a way. I think this team has gotten used to two things. Giving the ball to Ron and letting freelance or giving the ball to Jermaine in the post and waiting to see what he does with it.

What I'm seeing with Cabbage is that he likes to get the ball to guys on the run and it's throwing them off. I think our offense in the past has been based on a guy getting to a spot, then getting him the ball. Cabbage seems to hit guys as their cutting. What I think Saras sees are two things: 1. There's no one between me and my teammate, 2. There's no one between my teammate and the basket. So he gets the ball to them.

:feedback:

Hicks
10-19-2005, 04:07 PM
I agree with you, even though only one resulted in a made basket, all his passes were made in great stride and rhythm.

Unclebuck
10-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Scott, that is a great point. Saras often passes the ball when the play they are running does not dictate the pass should be thrown. So his teammates are not ready for it, because they are often getting in position or "running the play" But I also think Saras sometimes is a little loose with his passes, he's not usd to the NBA defense just yet.