PDA

View Full Version : Does Benderís Absence Indicate A Setback?

Frank Slade
10-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Does Benderís Absence Indicate A Setback?
:innocent:

Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you'd like to pose a Question of the Day to Conrad Brunner, submit it along with your full name and hometown to Bruno's_mailbag@pacers.com. Brunnerís opinions are his own and do not necessarily reflect those of Pacers players, coaches or management.
QUESTION
OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner

Q. Is Jonathan Bender's knee injury the same injury that has put him on the bench for so long? He seems to have been bred for basketball with his height, jumping ability, speed, and outside shooting. However, when is it prudent to stop the nurturing and invest his salary elsewhere? It amazes me at how long he has been in the league, how much his contract is worth, and how little he has played. (From Larry in Terre Haute, Ind.)

A. Bender's status at the moment is less a matter of injury than precaution. After a very encouraging summer of therapy, workouts and on-court scrimmaging, Bender's right knee was strong and stable. That gave the Pacers plenty of reason for optimism that he would be able to play consistently throughout this season, which would give the team a significant weapon on the bench.

He didn't miss any practice or game time in the first 10 days of camp but it was decided after the Utah game last Thursday night it would be prudent to give Bender some time to rest in order to facilitate his continued progress. This isn't viewed as a setback, but rather a necessary step to help avoid one. Bender is expected back soon. His recovery has been such a long, arduous and frustrating process for everyone involved, it's wise to move cautiously.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_051018.html

Destined4Greatness
10-18-2005, 12:56 PM
I hope

Diamond Dave
10-18-2005, 01:01 PM
:suicide:

Suaveness
10-18-2005, 01:08 PM
:bs:

Los Angeles
10-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Where's the "pile on" smilie?

Or how about an "angry mob" smilie?

Frank Slade
10-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Where's the "pile on" smilie?

Or how about an "angry mob" smilie?

I thought those were reserved for Artest Threads Only

:shrug:

Bball
10-18-2005, 01:27 PM
Do we have a wading boots smilie?

-Bball

Los Angeles
10-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Is that.............an attempt at humor?!?!

AT THE EXPENSE OF BENDER?!?!?

I hope you realize that the forum police will have your *** for that one, and there's no one to blame but you.

Where's the "prison b!tch" smilie?

RWB
10-18-2005, 01:53 PM
If you'd like to pose a Question of the Day to Conrad Brunner, submit it along with your full name and hometown to Bruno's_mailbag@pacers.com. Brunner’s opinions are his own and do not necessarily reflect those of Pacers players, coaches or management.
QUESTION
OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner

Q. I thought I saw Jon Bender selling nachos at the last preseason game. Is this a way for the Pacers to recoup some of their lost money because of his persistent injuries?

A. Bender's status at the moment is less a matter of injury than precaution. After a very encouraging summer of therapy, workouts and on-court scrimmaging, Bender's right knee was strong and stable. That gave the Pacers plenty of reason for optimism that he would be able to sell nachos with cheese and chilli sauce at each and every game. With the expected improvement in his knee the Pacers feel Jon may be promoted to walking up and down the aisles selling cotton candy.

He didn't miss any practice or game time in the first 10 days of camp but it was decided after the Utah game last Thursday night it would be prudent to give Bender some time to sell things in order to facilitate his continued progress. This isn't viewed as a setback, but rather a necessary step to help Jon become the best vendor at Conseco.

Suaveness
10-18-2005, 01:59 PM
:laugh:

Bball
10-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Does this mean Bender will now miss tonight's game as well? Play 2 games, suck in one of those, miss two?

Gee, I wonder if he'd played more than 1 game in summer league if the team would've had a better idea of what to expect from him? ...But he couldn't be bothered with that....

:whistle:

-Bball

JBones19
10-18-2005, 04:31 PM
This just in, the Pacers have decided as a precautionary measure to allow Bender to retire, hoping the extended rest will help him and the team in the long run.

sorry, I had to.

-J

317Kim
10-18-2005, 04:41 PM
:shrug: :gossip: :gossip:

Eindar
10-18-2005, 04:52 PM
I like the use of the word "soon" as opposed to "tonight". Saying "soon" allows you to come back and say that he's going to miss the next few weeks/months/years, and you don't sound like as much like an idiot.

Right now, I rate our local media right up there with Saddam's Minister of (dis)Information.

circlecitysportsfan
10-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Haters...You guys WANT him to fail it seems.

317Kim
10-18-2005, 06:28 PM

heck no!!! been waitin for him to play! he's great! just needs to catch up to his growth :) .

Bball
10-18-2005, 07:59 PM

At this point... yes... I want him to fail so badly that the team is forced to move on and has no other choice. How more clear does it need to be that he is not going to pan out? No more waiting. Ideally, I'd love for him to be successful if not the greatest player ever to play but it is time to get realistic. He's an overpaid distraction. He's a waste of roster space. Any one of the training camp guys would give us more than Bender this season. He's a bust.

We have a front office talking of a salary crunch and we're coming off a season where we needed warm bodies just to fill the roster and Bender doesn't help us on either count!

-Bball

circlecitysportsfan
10-18-2005, 11:29 PM
REALIST!

Tired of waiting for his "potential" to pan out.....

I dont like paying people for "potential"

Well you must be pleased with his failure tonight.

Bball
10-19-2005, 02:10 AM
Well you must be pleased with his failure tonight.

Historically, when he has a decent game it is just a tease. It's part of the problem... just enough to get some people's hopes up and then the next game he lays an egg if he plays at all. That is why it is such a huge distraction. It's just false starts and fool's gold so far for his career. It'll take more than one game to bring me around. Talk to me at the All Star break and we'll see where Bender's play is at. That will speak more than one preseason game. It's well past time for one lone game, a preseason game at that, to sway me.

-Bball

circlecitysportsfan
10-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Historically, when he has a decent game it is just a tease. It's part of the problem... just enough to get some people's hopes up and then the next game he lays an egg if he plays at all. That is why it is such a huge distraction. It's just false starts and fool's gold so far for his career. It'll take more than one game to bring me around. Talk to me at the All Star break and we'll see where Bender's play is at. That will speak more than one preseason game. It's well past time for one lone game, a preseason game at that, to sway me.

-Bball

2 Preseason games. Pretty soon it'll be "he has to do it with his hands tied behind his back making a ham sandwich"

Fool
10-19-2005, 11:10 AM
2 Preseason games. Pretty soon it'll be "he has to do it with his hands tied behind his back making a ham sandwich"

Yeah, or ... you know ... during games that actually count. People are so demanding.

waxman
10-19-2005, 12:53 PM
He's only a distraction to some people on this board.

Anthem
10-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Yeah, or ... you know ... during games that actually count. People are so demanding.

Nothing suggests he couldn't do this during the season.

I believe he can play. What he has to prove is that he can stay healthy.

Suaveness
10-19-2005, 01:01 PM

Bet he did that in practice....

Bball
10-19-2005, 01:48 PM
Bet he did that in practice....

Yes, he did. I believe he caught the ball with his head and then balanced it on his head and went up for a dunk over 3 defenders all the while with his hands behind his back. ...in practice...

Later he beat Bird in a game of HORSE.

..in practice...

-Bball

Bball
10-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Nothing suggests he couldn't do this during the season.

Nothing except history anyway.

What he has to prove is that he can stay healthy.

And history says he can't.

-Bball

SoupIsGood
10-19-2005, 03:57 PM

-Bball

You're confusing yourself. History says he won't stay healthy. History also says that when he DOES play he's a pretty good scorer.

Bball
10-19-2005, 09:06 PM
You're confusing yourself. History says he won't stay healthy. History also says that when he DOES play he's a pretty good scorer.

No, I don't think I am. Bender's history is to play a good game or two and then follow that with bad games. And sooner or later (usually sooner) the injury bug hits and he's back on the bench.

The only thing he's done consistently is be injured. He's never played 'well' consistently altho he's certainly had a couple of good games each season (hmmm except for maybe last season because I barely remember him doing anything and he obviously missed many many games).

He's got a lot to prove and it will start by proving he can either get healthy or play thru pain. Then he needs to prove he can play a solid game consistently and not just once in a blue moon followed by several "deer in the headlights" games.

-Bball

Suaveness
10-19-2005, 09:26 PM
That game against Detroit in the playoffs a couple years ago says all. He looks so lost out there, it boggles me why they continue to play him.

grace
10-19-2005, 09:29 PM
The keep playing him because he's a) over 7 feet and b) because Larry likes him.

Pacers#1Fan
10-19-2005, 11:53 PM
I want Bender to do well as much as anyone but if he can't play much this season I want him gone, lets just hope he does as good as I think he will.

circlecitysportsfan
10-20-2005, 11:03 AM

-Bball

History also says the Pacers have never won a championship, so why the hell are we watching them? Why put so much emotion and energy into this? I really hope Bender shuts all of you up, and he will.

Bball
10-20-2005, 02:03 PM
I really hope Bender shuts all of you up,

I agree with this part...

and he will.

But this has proven untrue in the past. Hopefully your optimism will be rewarded this season.

-Bball

waxman
10-20-2005, 03:19 PM
The last 30 or so games of '04 he was probably the most consistant player off the bench. Yeah it was only 30 games....but it was consistant production on a nightly basis up until the later stages of the Miami series and then Detroit...and EVERYONE looked like crap against Detroit.

In truth last year is the season where we really needed him...but he couldn't answer the bell. When he did play it was obvious he shouldn't be out there... I can't remember which game last year, but he couldn't even dunk from right under the basket on one occassion, and doinked it off the front of the rim.
The years prior to that he was basically 3rd on the depth chart behind Ron and Baby Al....so his inability to play wasn't so apparent.

Yeah it sucks hes been almost constantly injured in recent years... Its like he chooses to be injured or something :rolleyes:..... i swear he musta F'd some of your mothers or something.