PDA

View Full Version : Ailing O'Neal remains cautious

317Kim
10-18-2005, 06:18 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051018/SPORTS04/510180414

October 18, 2005

Ailing O'Neal remains cautious

By Mike Wells
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--document.write(''+'mike.wells'+'@'+'indystar.com'+ ' (+)');//--></SCRIPT>mike.wells@indystar.com (mike.wells@indystar.com)

Jermaine O'Neal won't play tonight against the visiting San Antonio Spurs, and no one knows when the Indiana Pacers All-Star forward will make his preseason debut.

O'Neal, out with a right thigh contusion, said he is in no rush to return.

"The bigger picture for me is getting ready for the regular season," he said. "I know I'm not going to play (tonight) for sure. If I can get back (Thursday against Minnesota) that will be great, but I have no real date set right now."
O'Neal stayed away from competitive basketball in the offseason to avoid injury. He hired a personal trainer and said he reported to training camp in great shape. He has spent the past 10 days practicing and watching from the bench during preseason games.
"I'm more concentrating on getting in full practices and getting back into tip-top shape," he said. "Obviously taking some time off for the injury and not being able to go full contact in practice and not bang, that kind of sets you off for a couple of days, but I'm trying to get my rhythm back."
Last season, O'Neal was suspended for 15 games for his part in the Nov. 19 brawl. He missed an additional 22 games after he sprained his right shoulder in March.
"I don't want any problems going into the regular season," he said. "Once the regular season starts, it's all about playing every game. Obviously it's a long season and things happen to guys, but no more 40 or 50 played games. I wanted to play the last couple of (preseason games), but they told me no because they didn't think I was ready."

Where's Harrison?
David Harrison also won't be returning to the lineup anytime soon.
Harrison's torn abdominal muscle will sideline him for the next 10 to 14 days.
"He's doing better," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "These things can be temperamental. It's tricky because you have to lay off it for it to heal."
The center has been limited in practice for more than a week. He describes the pain as someone "stabbing him."
"It's pretty irritating, but luckily it happened now," Harrison said. "When games count toward the record I can definitely be out there. It's frustrating, but a part of life."
Scot Pollard also is out with a calf muscle tear, leaving Samaki Walker as the team's center against the Spurs tonight.

He's still a fan
Guard Sarunas Jasikevicius spent the past two seasons playing for Maccabi Elite Tel Aviv, winning Euroleague championships both seasons.
That's why Jasikevicius was happy to hear his former team beat the Toronto Raptors in an exhibition game Sunday. It was the first time in 27 years Maccabi Elite Tel Aviv defeated an NBA team.

<!-- ARTICLE SIDEBAR -->

Looks like we're gonna be short on big guys again tonight :( .

Hicks
10-18-2005, 08:17 AM
This is very irritating:

Where's Harrison?
David Harrison also won't be returning to the lineup anytime soon.
Harrison's torn abdominal muscle will sideline him for the next 10 to 14 days.
"He's doing better," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "These things can be temperamental. It's tricky because you have to lay off it for it to heal."
The center has been limited in practice for more than a week. He describes the pain as someone "stabbing him."
"It's pretty irritating, but luckily it happened now," Harrison said. "When games count toward the record I can definitely be out there. It's frustrating, but a part of life."

This was a mystery injury for a week, and they just slip it in to this article like we knew the whole time. Just say it.

Pacers#1Fan
10-18-2005, 08:24 AM
It's nice to know what Harrison's injury is.

SoupIsGood
10-18-2005, 08:53 AM
So it's a torn muscle now? Boxscores were saying it's a strain....

Pacers#1Fan
10-18-2005, 09:54 AM
These injuries are starting to concern me a little. If we are this brital in the preseason how is it going to be in the regular season!? I guess all I can do is hope for the best.

Bball
10-18-2005, 12:05 PM
The :wells: has spoken...

-Bball

Frank Slade
10-18-2005, 12:07 PM
This is very irritating:

This was a mystery injury for a week, and they just slip it in to this article like we knew the whole time. Just say it.

http://www.perrybear.com/image/bear.gif
bball read my mind

Don't you just love that.. and a torn anything is never good.
:mad: John Edwards we need you buddy!!:blush:

317Kim
10-18-2005, 04:39 PM
:sigh: too many injuries!!!! I hope JO does come back this thursday! that's be a nice thing to look forward to.

NorCal_Pacerfan
10-18-2005, 04:49 PM
Unfortunately - no surprise.