PDA

View Full Version : Allan Houston To Announce Retirement

Jose Slaughter
10-17-2005, 01:50 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/37583/20051017/allan_houston_to_announce_retirement/

According to Radio Station WFAN and Steven A. Smith of ESPNRadio, New York Knicks ' guard Allan Houston is set to announce his retirement today. He's calling a 4 PM EST Press Conference today.

Houston was signed as free agent by New York on Jul. 14, 1996, and re-signed by New York on Jul. 23, 2001. He has career averages of 17 PPG, 44-Percent in FGs, 86-Percent in FTs (including winning the free throw title in the 2002-03 Season, and 40% from downtown.

Houston was critical for New York in many playoff Games, including the "shot" against Miami. He Led the 1999-2000 Knicks in scoring (19.7, 21st in the NBA) and in three-point field-goal percentage (.436, 5th in the NBA

Los Angeles
10-17-2005, 01:50 PM
Finally. :rolleyes:

RWB
10-17-2005, 01:54 PM
How long before IT uses the medical exemption and what can it do for the Knicks?

Frank Slade
10-17-2005, 01:57 PM
IT is on a role with two guys to retire in the same offseason...
Is Penny Next ??

travmil
10-17-2005, 01:58 PM
My God! IT really missed to boat by not cutting this guy with the amnesty clause. He should have done it before, but now that Houston isn't even going to play for them, it makes this error even worse. There have to be limits to how bad one man is allowed to screw up a franchise.

DrBadd01
10-17-2005, 02:09 PM
With Houston retiring does his salary carry over? on the bright side Siggy could get some time.;)

Ragnar
10-17-2005, 02:09 PM
The reason he did not use it on him is because they knew he would retite and that they could get him off the cap with the medical exemtpion.

reggieonly
10-17-2005, 02:12 PM
That would be great for the Knicks. His career was over a long time ago.
Guess wut? ZEKE MUST BE HAPPY.:laugh:

travmil
10-17-2005, 02:18 PM
The reason he did not use it on him is because they knew he would retite and that they could get him off the cap with the medical exemtpion.

Aren't there rules for using that though? I'm pretty sure they will stall have to pay Houston's contract, but that they can't remove his salary from their books until next season. All this is provided that the NBA appointed Dr. rules that he's unfit to play. So what advantage does using this have over using the amnesty clause?

CableKC
10-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Yep...that was what Zeke was counting on......amnesty JYD and then wait for Houston to retire so that the Knicks can get rid of 2 high-paid contracts.

This only deepens my hatred for Zeke.....he is evil....pure evil. Damn the Knicks and their deep pockets!!!!!

Bball
10-17-2005, 02:31 PM
So what advantage does using this have over using the amnesty clause?

Getting two players not to count against the LT...

But I have no idea if it can play out that way. Ragnar said exactly what I was thinking when I read the story. IOW- The reason they didn't use Houston in the first place was they knew this was coming (Or I guess they might've gambled it was coming) and it gave them greater flexibility.

-Bball

Slick Pinkham
10-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Some of a retired player's salary still counts toward the salary cap and toward the luxury tax.

There's not 100% relief from the salary hit, like there is with the amnesty clause.

Kaufman
10-17-2005, 02:43 PM
While being a "Knick hater", I have to say that I personally enjoyed watching Houston play. He was another one of those guys with a pretty shot. I hope he does well post retirement.

efx
10-17-2005, 02:52 PM
He was a good guy. I wish him well.

Bball
10-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Some of a retired player's salary still counts toward the salary cap and toward the luxury tax.

There's not 100% relief from the salary hit, like there is with the amnesty clause.

What about the medical exemption tho?

-Bball

travmil
10-17-2005, 02:59 PM
What about the medical exemption tho?

-Bball

That's what I'm saying. I'm pretty sure that his full salary still counts towards their cap regardless for at least one more season. Otherwise, every team in the NBA would have a "retiring" veteran every season.

DisplacedKnick
10-17-2005, 03:33 PM
That's what I'm saying. I'm pretty sure that his full salary still counts towards their cap regardless for at least one more season. Otherwise, every team in the NBA would have a "retiring" veteran every season.

His salary counts toward the cap but the Knicks won't have to pay LT on it - as long as the NBA agrees that he's retiring for medical reasons.

His salary will come off the cap next year (more precisely in january - two years after he last played).

And I have no idea where that leaves us with an injured player exception - we'd have to apply and be approved for it. We're deep enough anyway with the kiddie corps (who kicked *** last night!). I don't see us signing anyone.

travmil
10-17-2005, 03:36 PM
His salary counts toward the cap but the Knicks won't have to pay LT on it - as long as the NBA agrees that he's retiring for medical reasons.

His salary will come off the cap next year (more precisely in january - two years after he last played).

And I have no idea where that leaves us with an injured player exception - we'd have to apply and be approved for it. We're deep enough anyway with the kiddie corps (who kicked *** last night!). I don't see us signing anyone.

If that's true, then that makes some sense. However, I still would have cut Houston with the amnesty clause, and tried to get JYD to "retire".

DisplacedKnick
10-17-2005, 03:57 PM
If that's true, then that makes some sense. However, I still would have cut Houston with the amnesty clause, and tried to get JYD to "retire".

The problem with JYD was the medical issues part of it. He has a bum knee but nothing like AH.

There was also something of a respect issue with Allan - not sure how much it counted but it probably did matter some.

sixthman
10-17-2005, 05:14 PM

I believe the new cba changed that waiting period to one year and Houston's salary will not count against the cap and luxury tax this year, not that the salary cap is an issue anyway.

fwpacerfan
10-17-2005, 05:18 PM

If this is true, IT will have gained a little respect back from me. I don't think he is smart enough to pull this off though.

I think the Knicks are so far in Salary Cap He!! that it really doesn't matter if it comes off or not.

Ragnar
10-17-2005, 06:05 PM
If this is true, IT will have gained a little respect back from me. I don't think he is smart enough to pull this off though.

I think the Knicks are so far in Salary Cap He!! that it really doesn't matter if it comes off or not.

Houston's contract was not IT's mistake in the first place but yeah this was a good move. I am pretty sure I had read a while ago that his impending retirement due to medical reasons is why they did not use it on him.

I still think he has made some huge mistakes since he got there (Marbury) but this year he seems to be making some better decisions. Of course Curry could blow up in his face in two ways. He may have been playing well in a contract year only because it was a contract year and may not play as well now that he has the contract, or his heart issues could be a serious problem. I dont think I would be feeling all that good if I were a Knick fan right now.

DisplacedKnick
10-17-2005, 06:34 PM

Not as far as you might think. It's conceivable that by the summer of 2007 we'll be down to about $20 million over - almost out of luxury tax country.

Of course if we hadn't signed Jerome James ...

And amazingly, every player on the roster is now someone Isiah acquired - in a period of 22 months.

able
10-17-2005, 08:08 PM
6thman is right, the new CBA made it 1 year, AH is already injured over 1 year. (i.e. he played less then 7 games in the past season)

result: Knicks have full release of the salary towards the cap (though they still have to pay it, but we can assume insurance will cover most) AND it wlil drop of the LT AND they can ask (and will get) for a "relief" to sign any new player up to the same amount AH was making.

IT an idiot?? how long has he been there? how much did he drop them in salary? Do we expect them to have a chance to make the playoffs? how's the future looking?

I tip my hat.

OnlyPacersLeft
10-17-2005, 08:33 PM
hahahha....Now he won't steal from the knicks and their fans...can grant hill finally do this?

able
10-18-2005, 06:44 AM
he has untll now done a decent to good job, I nowhere called him successfull, though we can debate success in this case as to what boundries measure success in this case, coming from where they were.

However to call him an idiot as some poster did earlier in the thread is outright ridiculous.
With what he got when he came in he has untill now done imo an admirable job.

DisplacedKnick
10-18-2005, 08:16 AM
he has untll now done a decent to good job, I nowhere called him successfull, though we can debate success in this case as to what boundries measure success in this case, coming from where they were.

However to call him an idiot as some poster did earlier in the thread is outright ridiculous.

Yeah - I've become a bipolar fence-sitter when it comes to Zeke.

He goes and makes an idiot trade dealing two ending contracts and a pick for Mo Taylor, he signs a complete waste of space like Jerome James for big money, he wastes our 8 pick on Channing Frye - then he steals Curry from the Bulls and the real miracle - holds off naming a new coach on a thin chance and signs LB.

One thing's for sure - there's no compariosn between him and Layden.

fwpacerfan
10-18-2005, 08:40 AM

If you want I can get you the names of some ex-owners of CBA franchises who can definitely make a case for my statement (which didn't include my calling him an idiot).

To imply that Thomas is a mastermind is just as ridiculous. Anyone with a computer and www.realgm.com could have worked out some of these trades. I think he has done what was expected of him from the Knicks ownership - keep them competitive until they can climb out of the salary cap hole they were in.

Fool
10-18-2005, 10:49 AM
Oppinions on IT come with a lot of baggage around here. Houstons retirement means that Thomas made a good move in not using him as his amnesty player.

A great coach, a real center (offense wise), and a bunch of singmen/slashers/scorers. There are many teams in worse positions, and the Knicks are definately better then they were when he got there.