PDA

View Full Version : Saras' old team beats the Raptors

SoupIsGood
10-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Maccabi beat Toronto 105-103 today. At Toronto too.

Obviously the NBA is vastly superiour to that Euro ball......... :rolleyes:

Kstat
10-16-2005, 06:09 PM
if they played an NBA team, I'd agree with you.

Anthem
10-16-2005, 06:13 PM
:link:

SoupIsGood
10-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Found an article to go with it

-----

Euroleague Champions Maccabi Tel Aviv Come Back to Defeat Raptors

October 16, 2005

TORONTO (CP) -- Anthony Parker scored 24 points, including a jump shot with less than a second remaining, to lead defending Euroleague champion Maccabi Tel-Aviv to a 105-103 exhibition victory over the Toronto Raptors on Sunday.

The victory was Maccabi's first over an NBA squad since it edged the then NBA-champion Washington Bullets 98-97 in 1978.

The visitors earned the win as Raptors head coach Sam Mitchell clearly didn't want to give this one away, keeping starters Chris Bosh, Morris Peterson and Jalen Rose in for the majority of the game.

E-mail photo | Buy photos

Charlie Villanueva had 10 points on 5-8 shooting Sunday. (Ron Turenne/NBAE/Getty Images)
Bosh had 27 points and 12 rebounds to lead the Raptors in their annual international pre-season matchup. Rose added 18 points, while Mike James had 16 for the Raptors, who are 0-3 in the NBA pre-season.

Nikola Vujcic added 21 points and 10 rebounds for Maccabi.

After the final whistle, the Maccabi team stood at centre court and applauded the pro-Maccabi crowd of 17,281 at the Air Canada Centre.

The Raptors led the entire game until Will Solomon's three-point shot with 2:39 to play put Maccabi up 95-93, to the delight of the crowd who danced and waved Israeli flags.

Maccabi stretched its lead to four points on a jumper by Vujcic but Toronto battled back and a driving layup by Mike James tied the game 103-103 with 19 seconds left. Yaniv Green scored for Maccabi with 30 seconds to play, Mike James connected on a driving layup to tie the game, and then Parker launched his fadeaway jumper over Raptors' Morris Peterson with 0.8 seconds left to clinch the victory for Maccabi.

The afternoon was like a home game for Maccabi as the stands were full of Israel flags and yellow-and-blue Maccabi T-shirts. The crowd cheered as loudly for the visitors as it did for the Raptors during team introductions, and erupted into chants of `Ma-cca-bi' throughout the afternoon.

NBA commissioner David Stern flew in to attend the game and sat courtside with Larry Tanenbaum, chairman of the board of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd.

Considered the New York Yankees of Israeli basketball, powerhouse Maccabi has cruised to 45 of 51 Israeli titles and three of the last five Euroleague titles. But while Pini Gershon said his team is 10 or 15 years ahead of any other Israeli team in terms of management and budget, he believes the top European teams may never be on equal footing with the best of the NBA.

Maccabi heads to Orlando to play the Magic on Wednesday.

For once, the Raptors outrebounded their opponent, beating Maccabi 47-38 on the boards, but Maccabi shot 47 per cent from the floor to Toronto's 44.

Bosh scored 10 points in the opening quarter as the Raptors took a 24-20 lead over their visitors.

Parker's dunk midway through the second tied the game 39-39, but the Raptors ended the quarter on a 17-7 run to lead 56-46 at halftime.

Two free throws by former Raptor Maceo Baston cut Toronto's lead to 68-67 midway through the third quarter and the home team led 81-77 with a period left to play.

NOTES: There was a heightened security presence at the game as fans were patted down at the ticket gates. . . The United Synagogue Day School choir performed the Israeli and Canadian anthems. . . The Raptors edged Italian team Benetton 86-83 last pre-season, and defeated Panathinaikos of Greece 100-76 in 2003.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/cp_recap_051016.html

SoupIsGood
10-16-2005, 06:14 PM
:link:

I first saw it on NBA.com, their link wasn't working.

SoupIsGood
10-16-2005, 06:15 PM

It sounds like Mo Pete, Chris Bosh, Jalen Rose, and Mike James played the majority of the minutes. They are all NBA caliber players.

Pacers#1Fan
10-16-2005, 06:22 PM
I bet Sarunas is happy.

317Kim
10-16-2005, 07:02 PM
I bet Sarunas is happy.

:nod: uh huh!

8.9_seconds
10-16-2005, 07:10 PM
I might be crucified for this question....but is Villanueva over or underrated?

Kstat
10-16-2005, 07:12 PM
....so basically the best professional team outside of the NBA plays one of the worst teams in the NBA, and wins by a grand total of 2 points?

Um, ok.

Pacers#1Fan
10-16-2005, 07:16 PM
I might be crucified for this question....but is Villanueva over or underrated?I think he is a little overrated

sweabs
10-16-2005, 07:16 PM
Well, considering I watched the game, I guess I can give a little report.

The Raptors still need to learn how to play defense. That centre spot is really hurting them. Rafael Araujo played about 4 minutes, and the only thing he was good for was a bunch of fouls (he looks 10x more lost on the court than Jonathan Bender...and that is no exageration). Loren Woods is still too skinny and uncordinated to do anything down low, and Aaron Williams is seemingly always injured.

Moving on, Chris Bosh looked excellent. Granted, he is playing against some weak post-defenders on that Macabi team, but he was undoubtedly working on his game all summer. He has acquired a superb back-to-the-basket post game, and has a nice hook shot in the lane. He can still face-up against his defender, and beat almost anyone after that quick jab step. He has also added about 10lbs over the summer, and it shows in his offensive rebounding especially. The comparisons to KG look better each year.

Charlie Villanueva has been playing a good preseason so far. I've been relatively impressed (and not just because he chose to wear the #31 in honour of Reggie :-p ). He's a real awkward player, in that he is 6'10, but he almost plays like a shooting guard at times. However, today against Macabi, he demonstrated his ability to score in the post, and he actually has some strong low-post moves. Sam Mitchell would like to play Bosh and Charlie on the floor at the same time, but that would most likely require pushing Bosh to the 5 spot again (like he was forced to do in his rookie year). The centre position is just that bleak.

Mike James - still one of my favourite PG's in the league. I don't know why teams constantly give this guy up, because he brings so much to the floor. He's an exceptional defender, he is fast as lightning, he can hit the 3 point shot, he's fairly conservative with the ball, and he can hit big shots. He had some real big plays down the stretch today, including a couple free throws, and an "and 1" 3-point play in the dying minute I believe.

As for Macabi, the only guy that really stood out to me was Anthony Parker. He's a scorer. He can slash, he can pull up for the mid-range jumper, and he can shoot the three. He really hustles out on the floor, and he just looked solid all game long. He hit the game winning shot with ease...from the moment he started to elevate off the ground you knew it was going in. He just has a real calm/cool demeanor about him.

Anyway, some other quick notes on the game:

David Stern was in attendance.
There were more fans cheering for Macabi Tel Aviv than the Raptors.
Rafael Araujo continues to get booed by the home-town crowd.
Jalen still can't play defense to save his life.
With all the talk about Granger having the injury problems, Joey Graham has sat out the last 2 or 3 games with tendinitis in his knee.

FiestyFosterFanatic
10-16-2005, 08:20 PM
45 of the last 51 Israel titles? Wow...must be some stiff competition.

Pacers#1Fan
10-16-2005, 08:29 PM
45 of the last 51 Israel titles? Wow...must be some stiff competition.really

Jaydawg2270
10-16-2005, 08:35 PM
....so basically the best professional team outside of the NBA plays one of the worst teams in the NBA, and wins by a grand total of 2 points?

Um, ok.

Thank you

Kegboy
10-16-2005, 08:51 PM
My question is, how in the world could they win any game without Cabbage? Perhaps the Ewing theory is at work here.

Frank Slade
10-16-2005, 08:52 PM
My question is, how in the world could they win any game without Cabbage? Perhaps the Ewing theory is at work here.

:unimpress:

Makaveli8
10-16-2005, 09:03 PM

Um, ok.
Without their best player... (without Saras I don't think they will be the best team in Europe this year... perhaps not even in top5)

Also you need to consider the game was played under NBA rules. This was basically their only game under NBA rules.

But there is an advantage for Maccabi team: they probably took this game much more seriously than the Raptors. You don't play a game against an NBA team everyday...

Personally I think the best european team might be able to make the playoffs in the NBA (in the east of course). Probably 1st round exit...

P.s.: Hi all! I think this is my first post here... (not sure; read the boards quite often) And sorry for so-so english... ;)

Roaming Gnome
10-16-2005, 09:27 PM
If you were to take Lawrence North's Varsity basketball team and pit them against say...... IPFW's NCAA division 1 Basketball team. I would not feel bad on the odds of a High School team beating a div. 1 basketball team.

Take the best Euro team and pit them against "possibly" the worst NBA team....same difference. Heck, a well put together CBA team might beat up on a Raptor's team that is not being serious.

Slick Pinkham
10-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Hi all! I think this is my first post here...

:welcome:

Post more often-- it's nice to get differerent perspectives!

Roaming Gnome
10-16-2005, 09:49 PM
:welcome:

Post more often-- it's nice to get differerent perspectives!
Yeah, what he said...:wave:

Welcome partner...

Kegboy
10-16-2005, 10:21 PM
Jalen still can't play defense to save his life.

As has been said many times on here, he can, he just choses not to, probably not even to save his own life.

It seems like every day that passes, I'm more embarrased that we signed him to a max deal. :blush: :blush: :blush:

Rytas_Jega
10-17-2005, 08:17 AM
17 of 24 Euroleague teams would fight against any NBA team if the game was played by European rules and on European floor.

Climamio Bologna, Zalgiris Kaunas, Tau Ceramica, Benetton Treviso, Olympiacos, Efes Pilsen, Lietuvos Rytas, Cibona, Armani Jeans Milano, Winterthur FCB, Maccabi Tel Aviv, Montepaschi Siena, Panathinaikos, Unicaja, Real Madrid, Ulker, CSKA Moscow.

plus 7-10 non-Euroleague European teams.

normal basketball and NBA basketball are a quite different sports.

Maccabi's win at NBA arena (different lines) and under NBA rules is a superlative achievement. even the opponent was one of the weakest NBA teams.

and remember 2000 McDonald's Championship San Antonio Spurs game against hosts Varese (average Italian League team that season). 1999 NBA champions had narrow escape thanks to some miraculous Jaren Jackson's threes in the end. and that game was played under rules more similar to NBA's.

DisplacedKnick
10-17-2005, 08:22 AM
I might be crucified for this question....but is Villanueva over or underrated?

Depends what you want to look at.

If you consider his skills, underrated.

If you consider his brain and general laziness, overrated.

Maccabist
10-17-2005, 07:22 PM
I registered just to share this allhey-hoop by Maccabi last night and some words about Maccabi.
So first thing, here's the allhey-hoop, probably Maccabi's most famous move in europe, it's done almost in every game:
http://www.mytempdir.com/213548
And Parker's partial airwalk:
http://www.mytempdir.com/213558

Comparing Maccabi to NBA teams is just wrong, Maccabi isn't built like an NBA team, Maccabi was built for fastbreakes, without fastbreakes it can't score much. It feeds from fast gameplay. Some european teams tried to play fast against Maccabi, it was impossible, one even lost in over 50 points (and later in the season beat Maccabi).
In addition, Maccabi's budget for players+staff is around 12$ million, correct me if I'm wrong but the Raptor's budget is much larger.

The player I was most proud of last night was Yaniv Green, he did a great job in the paint (blocked James twice and Rose once) and scored some points in the paint.
Baston was a big disapointment, he's usualy a key player (and rises the moral with his dunks), he didn't score much and as always got into a foul problem right in the begining.

thought_criminal
10-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Maccabi must have a great coach and a wonderful upper echelon organization. No team in the NBA should ever lose to a team outside the NBA, ever. Maccabi pulled a huge miracle here, good luck to them in the Euroleague!

Shade
10-17-2005, 08:36 PM
Too easy. :nono: :laugh: