PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Roger Powell, Jr.

8.9_seconds
10-16-2005, 03:31 PM
This maybe a stupid question, but I didn't read anything on it the papers and if an Illinois player so much as sneezes it usually makes an article over here.

I don't know why, but I was on the Sonic's site the other day and I saw Roger Powell on the Roster, is he just a hopeful looking for a spot? Or is he actually on the team?

With out a doubt, Roger was my favorite college player last year. He was undersized but very effective.

mboyle1313
10-16-2005, 04:47 PM

Mr. Powell is in camp with the Sonics and has scored 3 points in 7 minutes in their first two pre-season games. They have 18 guys in camp, so it may well be that he has to travel the NBDL/CBA/European road before he can crack somebody's roster.

MJB

DisplacedKnick
10-16-2005, 06:24 PM
I saw his name in some summer league boxes and he had some numbers. The problem is he's only 6-6 without SF skills. Very good college player but I don't see a place for him in the NBA because there's nothing he's truly outstanding at to make up for his size.

I figure he'll end up in Europe.

ABA Jay
10-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Isn't a Pacers employee talking about the Seattle Supersonics a conflict of interest?

8.9_seconds
10-16-2005, 06:53 PM

Mr. Powell is in camp with the Sonics and has scored 3 points in 7 minutes in their first two pre-season games. They have 18 guys in camp, so it may well be that he has to travel the NBDL/CBA/European road before he can crack somebody's roster.

MJB

Ok, thats what I figured. I was just suprised that he was even asked to work out with anybody without the NBDL or Euroleague.

I saw his name in some summer league boxes and he had some numbers. The problem is he's only 6-6 without SF skills. Very good college player but I don't see a place for him in the NBA because there's nothing he's truly outstanding at to make up for his size.

I figure he'll end up in Europe.

Yeah, he was a great college player, but yout right there was nothing significantally outstanding about him, but he just worked so hard. That's what I really respected about him.

Thanks for the info guys!

Frank Slade
10-16-2005, 06:55 PM
Isn't a Pacers employee talking about the Seattle Supersonics a conflict of interest?

:confused: ....I assume you're are joking...

SoupIsGood
10-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Was he the one with that monster dunk off his own rebound?

dynamis22
10-16-2005, 07:05 PM

I think it is a valid question.

SoupIsGood
10-16-2005, 07:07 PM
I think it is a valid question.

I'd think he's done it hundreds of times over the radio when we play Seattle.

8.9_seconds
10-16-2005, 07:07 PM
Was he the one with that monster dunk off his own rebound?

Yep that was him. I was up runnin around my house for about 5 minutes after that it was awesome...it took like 5 seconds for the whole thing to happen, you think that the play was over and then all the sudden BOOM!!! there's Roger!!!!!!!! it was awesome.

SoupIsGood
10-16-2005, 07:09 PM
Yep that was him. I was up runnin around my house for about 5 minutes after that it was awesome...it took like 5 seconds for the whole thing to happen, you think that the play was over and then all the sudden BOOM!!! there's Roger!!!!!!!! it was awesome.

Yes that was an amazing play, easily one of the better I've seen. Are you an Illinios fan?

Arcadian
10-16-2005, 07:09 PM

No, it is not. That's just silly to think so. Players, GMs and coaches all regularly talk about opposing players. In this case the man's job is to call games and is required to be familliar with other teams. Also the player in question isn't even a Sonic; he is just at training camp.

Peck
10-16-2005, 07:12 PM
First off he's a commentator so he speaks about other teams all of the time.

Second of all, we try to give our Pacer workers some privacy here. We have three employee's who have public jobs for the team & we have one or two who work behind the scenes.

8.9_seconds
10-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Yes that was an amazing play, easily one of the better I've seen. Are you an Illinios fan?

Yep, the orange and blue blood go well with the blue and gold heart.

dynamis22
10-16-2005, 07:18 PM
First off he's a commentator so he speaks about other teams all of the time.

Second of all, we try to give our Pacer workers some privacy here. We have three employee's who have public jobs for the team & we have one or two who work behind the scenes.

Am i not wrong in that this a public forum in which Mr. Boyle voluntarily chose to partake in?

Also, allow Mr. Boyle to answer his own questions. (oh, but let me guess, you are his personal assistant.)

Pacers#1Fan
10-16-2005, 07:19 PM
I thought Roger was pretty good. He will crack a roster soon.

mboyle1313
10-16-2005, 07:21 PM
ABA Jay,

I'm surprised you would think it a conflict of interest, unless the question was tongue in cheek. Hard to tell in print sometimes.

If I couldn't speak of personnel from other teams, I think it's safe to say that it would be imposible to do my job properly.

MJB

Pacers#1Fan
10-16-2005, 07:23 PM
ABA Jay,

I'm surprised you would think it a conflict of interest, unless the question was tongue in cheek. Hard to tell in print sometimes.

If I couldn't speak of personnel from other teams, I think it's safe to say that it would be imposible to do my job properly.

MJBI'm pretty sure he was just joking.

birdman
10-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Am i not wrong in that this a public forum in which Mr. Boyle voluntarily chose to partake in?

Also, allow Mr. Boyle to answer his own questions. (oh, but let me guess, you are his personal assistant.)

What is this, a court case?

Frank Slade
10-16-2005, 07:31 PM

ABA Jay

Why should you care anyway..?? We are privileged to have someone like Mr Boyle post on here and you trying to discourage his input.... What exactly is your motive to be so uptight, not to mention incorrect about such things.. ?

Frank Slade
10-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Actually, I was joking. Didn't mean to cause such a STIR! Interesting how seriously certain posters take themselves on PACERSDIGEST. Think calming thoughts :hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit:

No need to throw a fit.. just remember to add a ;) or actually I don't know respond promptly that you were joking before your "joke" gets misunderstood....

Frank Slade
10-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Thats fine.

Like I said in another thread its hard to read emotions on a internet message board.

Next time just try to use a "smilie", thats all :)

:nod:

Kaufman
10-16-2005, 10:39 PM
I enjoy having Mark post on this site and I'd like to have him around for the forseeable future.
And personally, I'd love to be his personal assistant at some point in life. I think it'd be a pretty perky job.

aceace
10-17-2005, 01:35 AM
ABA Jay ... I knew you were joking.... but then again I am quite sarcastic at times.

Hey Mark if you read this is it true that Granger and Artest having been going one on one in practice. If so how is Granger handling Artests defense, and that should make the other SF around the league like cake to play against.

gilpdawg
10-17-2005, 07:40 PM
So, what, are you trying to run Mr. Boyle off?