Kaufman
10-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Hey... where did Mark Montieth go?

Kaufman
10-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Is he still with the star?

Kaufman
10-14-2005, 09:27 PM
You think Mike Wells will be any better? Really upsets me when city businesses get rid of city people and replace them with people who know nothing about Indianapolis from Denver and try to act like they were here when the Colts came to town or when Reggie got drafted... "remember back to 1984 when the Mayflower pulled into town..."

Kaufman
10-14-2005, 09:28 PM
AGH
I mean don't get me wrong, I wasn't always the biggest Robin Miller fan or Bill Benner fan, but they were local yocals who knew the city and the topics that interested us.

Kaufman
10-14-2005, 10:13 PM
He'll have to stop being blunt when the team stops giving him good interviews after they've caught on to him. Bluntness doesn't work in Indianapolis.

Arcadian
10-14-2005, 10:49 PM
I think that it is a myth that he is any more blunt than anyone else who covered the Pacers.

Kaufman
10-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Speaking of time, and seeing how things workout, do you know whatever happened to C. Jemal Horton? I wonder about that guy from time to time. I had last heard he was writing editorials professionally for his own website. From time to time I try to update myself on that guy.

Arcadian
10-14-2005, 11:02 PM
What does the bagder mean?

Harmonica
10-14-2005, 11:14 PM
No offense to you, but MM wouldnt have gotten the "bunny" nickname if he didnt deserve it.......

Doesn't mean anything. That only exists in this small little world and not everyone agrees with it. I imagine if MM decided to start posting on here like Mark Boyle did, the bunny references would quickly disappear.

Los Angeles
10-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Doesn't mean anything. That only exists in this small little world and not everyone agrees with it. I imagine if MM decided to start posting on here like Mark Boyle did, the bunny references would quickly disappear.
I can't wait until Slick posts.

Destined4Greatness
10-14-2005, 11:33 PM
I would love to slap Wells and say.

"Detroit is #1 until proven otherwise, and Shaq isn't an instant championship you old fart. Now give Mark his job back"

Bball
10-14-2005, 11:47 PM
He'll have to stop being blunt when the team stops giving him good interviews after they've caught on to him. Bluntness doesn't work in Indianapolis.

Back when Larry Bird was coach he complained that the local media was too soft on the team....

Maybe that means nothing to the question of "what happened to Monteith?" as well as the issue of Wells' "bluntness".... or maybe it means everything.

-Bball

Kstat
10-15-2005, 12:29 AM
Eh, new guy seems relatively smart. He's not the badger, but give him a chance, he might surprise you.

Maybe you can start him out as a weasel or something, and he can work his way up.

Although I think it's not clear at all with of the three teams has the most depth. Detroit's bench (aside from two guys) is full of talented but unproven players, but is Indiana's any different?

As for Miami, people were ranking them #1 last year too. I'm fine with that.

I love how people act like the Pistons took a step back because Joe D didnt press the panic button and start trading his team... :laugh:

The Pistons have a better roster than last year. There is no doubt in my mind about that. Say what you will about the coaching (which so far flip continues to impress me with his new offense), but the team itself is better.

Arcadian
10-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Can I keep my opinion that Mike Wells isn't as blunt in his 9 answers as some would like to think?

Peck
10-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Can I keep my opinion that Mike Wells isn't as blunt in his 9 answers as some would like to think?

See, I'm with you.

I think though that just goes further to convince me that :montieth: was horribly soft on the team.

Because Mike Wells is coming in here & just being objective many people think he's just a hater.

Newsflash. The newspaper reporter is not supposed to be a fan of the team. They are supposed to be neutral.

able
10-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Newsflash. The newspaper reporter is not supposed to be a fan of the team. They are supposed to be neutral.

Uh? Where did that rule come in for a "beat" writer ???

please do not tell me you are not making a difference between "open" as in truthfull to what happens no the team and "impartial" because the latter is something IMO a beat-writer should never be, leave that to the "national" press.

Peck
10-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Uh? Where did that rule come in for a "beat" writer ???

please do not tell me you are not making a difference between "open" as in truthfull to what happens no the team and "impartial" because the latter is something IMO a beat-writer should never be, leave that to the "national" press.

I'm not sure I agree.

I can see where you would want them to be knowledgeable on the team they are covering & I don't think they should be hostile towards the team.

But, & maybe I'm just wrong about this, I don't think it is the newspapers interest to be an extension of the P.R. department. If that were the case the Star could save themselves a lot of money & just let the pacers people write the game summery or in this new modern times they could just take it off of pacers.com.

I think the job of the bear writer is to report what is going on with the team, warts & all.

But maybe that's just me.

Arcadian
10-15-2005, 04:05 PM
I liked Mark. This guy seems fine. I don't like Kravitz and it has nothing to do with his criticalness. He just doesn't seem to like basketball to me.

I don't know that my expectations for a beat writer are the same as Peck's. When does "warts and all" become gossip and entertainment news? It is entertaining to talk about if Ron and JO like each other but is that really news?

I guess all I really care about is does the person know the game and is it written well.

grace
10-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Everybody needs to quit hatin' on the bunny. The bunny is our friend. Long live :montieth:

Kaufman
10-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Still no word on C. Jemal Horton, eh?

Frank Slade
10-15-2005, 11:51 PM
I can't wait until Slick posts.
:nod:

That would be great

PD the official board of the Pacers Radio Network......

Frank Slade
10-15-2005, 11:57 PM
Yeah the interesting thing I heard the other Day... you have to realize Mike has never even seen Bender play in a regular season game... he has not pre-set thoughts either way...

I admit last year their were a few articles that surprised me how negative they were. On some part I like having a somewhat impartial person reporting knowing that no punches are being pulled and that we are getting the full truth... However Dirt always sell better than Sunshine and what happens sometimes is you being to hear the negative side more than not....

I just hope we can count an accurate account on every story and not just the juicy gossip and negative... like Hicks said we get that on just about every other outlet........

Will Galen
10-16-2005, 01:03 AM

That's the first time I've heard that. That would be an unattainable requirment unless the newspaper sent the fashion editor, and she would probably be dating the star player.

A good reporter trys to be objective and accurate no matter their personel likes and dislikes. That's the best you can hope for.

Bball
10-16-2005, 02:10 PM
I think the job of the bear writer is to report what is going on with the team, warts & all.

This settles it... we need a bear 'smiley' for Wells.

-Bball

Los Angeles
10-16-2005, 02:29 PM
You know, some of the best reporting about this team appears right here on this board.

I would prefer that the beat writer really care about the subject they are writing on. In this way, choosing a "fan" can be appropriate and even desireable.

Where I suspect Montieth failed is that after a while he felt that he was in many ways a part of the franchise. The objective distance that good independent journalism depends on just wasn't there with him. I don't think his being a fan was the problem. His perceived inability to maintain boundaries was the real problem.

There are countless examples of 'fans' that can keep relative objectivity. Many of them post here. Heck, even Mark Boyle posts with more objectivity than many folks, and he even WORKS for the Pacers.

Los Angeles
10-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Does he? I thought those guys were contracted out (maybe Im wrong, I really dont know)

but you bring up very good points........
Technically, he is a contract man (I'm assuming), meaning he has a signed contract with the Pacers much like the players do. But the Pacers sign his checks, so he is a part of the organization.

ChicagoJ
10-17-2005, 03:20 PM
I posted an article in the football thread from Pittsburgh's newspaper today. Imagine the Star posting something like that one about the local team.

I can't...

Frank Slade
10-17-2005, 03:22 PM
This settles it... we need a bear 'smiley' for Wells.

-Bball

Good call.. Hicks?? can we get this ???

Frank Slade
10-17-2005, 03:32 PM
Here's a picture of everyone's favorite bear, Tai Shan, the Washington Panda (Bear) Cub:

(Sorry, he got named today, so he needs the attention.)

aww cute and cuddly
:innocent: :proud:

I was thinking more along the lines of
http://www.perrybear.com/image/desk2.jpg

Bball
10-17-2005, 03:33 PM
Here's a picture of everyone's favorite bear, Tai Shan, the Washington Panda (Bear) Cub:

(Sorry, he got named today, so he needs the attention.)

Tai Shan??? What's wrong with Boo Boo, or Yogi, or Smokey?????

-Bball

sweabs
10-17-2005, 03:35 PM
I refuse to give up:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/rcarey31/yodel.png

Frank Slade
10-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Ok Hicks I have got it ...!! Presenting Mike Wells
....http://www.perrybear.com/image/bear.gif

I amuse myself...

Hicks
10-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Oh, what the hell:

:wells:

sweabs
10-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Well, if we are going to do a bear should it not be a big, tough, overbearing bear? Just like Mike explains his reporting style?

http://www.nps.gov/redw/images/trails_bear.gif

EDIT: Although I still say the yodeler makes more sense: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/rcarey31/yodel.png

Frank Slade
10-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Oh, what the hell:

:wells:

:plot:
We are in business... Thanks Hicks !!

rcarey -
Well, if we are going to do a bear should it not be a big, tough, overbearing bear? Just like Mike explains his reporting style

Don't underestimate this bear.. He will rather tear your head off as to look at you....