PDA

View Full Version : Pacers, Jazz articles. Including Inside The Game, By Conrad Brunner

Will Galen
10-14-2005, 12:29 AM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/insider_051013.html

PACERS 99, JAZZ 92
Inside The Game
By Conrad Brunner | Oct. 13, 2005 at Conseco Fieldhouse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you are about to read is not a typical postgame report but, then again, Pacers.com is not a typical Website. Anyone can tell you the who, what, when, where and why of an NBA game. We want to take you beyond the basic facts and into the meaning and importance of the evening's developments. Sometimes they'll be big. More often than not, they'll be small. But we're going to try very hard to enlighten you as to the most interesting, entertaining and ultimately relevant facts and figures from each game.

Jasikevicius

1. So This Is What The Fuss Was All About

Sarunas Jasikevicius showed exactly what the Pacers thought they were getting when they signed the high-profile free agent from Lithuania: superior shot-making, sound judgment, precise passing and the ability to step forward in the clutch. He scored 13 of his 18 points in the fourth quarter and either scored or assisted on the Pacers' final four baskets as they outscored Utah 25-13 in the final 6:22. He hit a 3-pointer to tie it at 79-all, another trey to open an 88-83 cushion, then fed Stephen Jackson and Danny Granger for layups as the lead grew to 94-87. After Deron Williams drained a three to make it 96-92, Jasikevicius answered with a strong drive through traffic to ice it. Though he struggled defensively against the red-hot Williams, Jasikevicius won't be the last to run into that particular problem.

Granger

2. The Injury Bug's Becoming A Pandemic

Forget the bird flu. The bigger threat to the Pacers is the dreaded injury bug, which is apparently virulently contagious. Scot Pollard, who had been the only healthy center on the roster, limped out with a strained left calf and will not play Friday night against Minnesota in Conseco Fieldhouse. Jamaal Tinsley left after playing 18 minutes with a lower back strain. His status for Friday night's game is uncertain. Though Danny Granger returned to action after sitting out the New Jersey game Tuesday night with a sprained ankle, Jermaine O'Neal (right thigh contusion) was held out though he could've played if necessary. Fred Jones sat out with a hyperextended right knee suffered against the Nets. David Harrison (side) and Jeff Foster, whose primary problem isn't the surgically repaired hip but a sore Achilles tendon that has been lingering, also missed the game. Utah's only injured player was a guy named None, not believed to be any relation to Denver's Brazilian power forward.

Artest

3. Artest Getting Back To Normal

After a couple of very iffy performances, in the FanJam intrasquad scrimmages and in New Jersey, Ron Artest looked much more in the flow of things, scoring 23 points in 36 minutes, adding six rebounds and a pair of assists. He'll need some time to fully recondition his body to the rigors of the NBA but he avoided the individual sallies that raised concern after his previous efforts.

Croshere

4. One Man's Pain Is Another's Gain

The flip side to injuries are the opportunities they create for others. Austin Croshere was a primary beneficiary Thursday night, playing 31 minutes and scoring 17 points (13 from the free-throw line). Granger played 24 minutes in his preseason debut and produced nine points and four rebounds. And, of course, Jasikevicius stepped in with the first unit when Tinsley went down and looked fully comfortable, at least offensively.

5. A Preseason Back-to-Back Awaits

The Pacers are right back at it Friday night in Conseco Fieldhouse against Minnesota (7:00, WIBC 1070-AM). The Timberwolves are comparably beat-up. Kevin Garnett (sore right knee) and Marko Jaric (sprained right ankle) both sat out the preseason opener against Milwaukee, and Waly Szczerbiak left the game with a sprained right foot and did not return. He's listed as questionable.

Will Galen
10-14-2005, 12:36 AM
Speaking of the injury bug, I looked into this earlier and thought about not posting it, but why waste the time I put in.

All three of our centers are ailing, (Foster, hip, ankle) (Harrison, side) (Pollard, calf). JO who also plays center, is also ailing. (Thigh)

It's not to big of a deal if they can be ready when the season starts. Of course it's still up in the air whether Foster will be ready.

My question is what will the Pacer brass do if this continues? I think it would force them to make a trade. I hope not though, I like this team.

Looking into centers, the best that would be available would probably be Maglorie, of New Orleans.

Artest and Gill works, but deepens are Luxury tax. Maglorie and Lynch, for Artest, Pollard, and Gill works, and saves the Pacers about a million dollars.

Am I advocating trading Artest? Not at all, I like him. I just thought of him because so many were advocating trading him for some Pork Rines the last couple days. Maglorie is a 6'11, 259 pound former all star who is only 27.

Some still say we can't win a title without Artest. Others who have held that position think that now with Granger we would have a chance. Maybe so, but one thing is for sure, we aren't going anywhere without a center!

Will Galen
10-14-2005, 12:37 AM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/quotes_051013.html

Postgame Quotes
Pacers 99, Jazz 92
Oct. 13, 2005 at Conseco Fieldhouse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PACERS COACH RICK CARLISLE

“I like the way we finished the game. A lot of part early and in the middle, we bogged down. We’ve got to improve on our turnovers. Considering our manpower situation, it was a good win. We know Sarunas (Jasikevicius) can do good things offensively, no question. His biggest adjustments are defensively and learning the personnel in the league. You saw the reason tonight, why we felt he was an important acquisition."
(on Danny Grainger) "Considering he’s been out the last couple days with his ankle, this was important for him to get out there. As the game we along, you could see the things he’s capable of doing, offensively and defensively."

(On Ron Artest) It was important he play a lot of minutes. The next six games, he has to get his conditioning back to NBA games. I though he played very well tonight.”

PACERS GUARD SARUNAS JASIKEVICIUS

“I’m beginning to feel comfortable. But I’m still a long ways off. I am a rookie as an old man. I’m just trying to get my rhythm, get in shape, fit in and help this team to win. As far as the rules, I know them. But I think it will be a little problem for me adjusting to the rules.”

PACERS FORWARD JONATHAN BENDER

"(On his playing time) We’re trying to pick the spots and be cautious. My knee is sore. And it will be sore. I will have to play through it and progress as the season goes on. We’ll take it game by game.”

JAZZ COACH JERRY SLOAN

"I think we played pretty well. (We) committed a lot of fouls with the screens. This is a great team that will play very well. Tonight, we turned it over too much. We’ve turning it over too much. I believe it was 22 tonight, 33 last night. So we’re improving. The young guys don’t really know how hard it is to play in this league."
(On Deron Williams) "Deron is supposed to take charge. He is going to be a good player. He understood what he did wrong. The defense is just as important as offense. The team needs to learn that."

(On the Pacers) "They’ve got guys off the bench that are strong. Our team just has to learn what they are doing and get in our rhythm.”

JAZZ FORWARD ANDREI KIRILENKO

"(On wearing mask) "The mask bothered me a little bit. But by the beginning of the season, I’ll take it off."
(On coach changing the lineup) "It’s a work in progress."

(On players playing at half speed) "I know I’m not. I’m trying to play up to full speed. I know I’ll keep trying until we get to the regular season. I feel good right now and starting to get into a rhythm.

JAZZ GUARD DERON WILLIAMS

"I like to take over the game. It’s how I’ve always been. I’ve got to be more aggressive and hit my shots. I have to cut down on my turnovers. I have to look back and see my mistakes and try to improve them for the next game. We are coming along good and once we get in a rhythm, we’ll be okay.”

JAZZ CENTER GREG OSTERTAG

(On returning for another season) "So far it’s been a good experience. I’m not ever going to be an All-Star, not going to be a Hall of Famer, not going to have my jersey retired. But I want to be here to show these guys you can have a long successful career by doing the little things well and trying to set a good example for the young guys."
(On the young guys) "When the coach gets on them, I try to let them know not to let the coach get to you. But that’s just that he’s trying to get us back to a winning tradition. I really didn’t think, with John (Stockton) and Karl (Malone) that I would ever be the oldest player on the team. But here it is going on three years. I never would have imagined it.”

Doug
10-14-2005, 12:41 AM
"(On his playing time) We’re trying to pick the spots and be cautious. My knee is sore. And it will be sore. I will have to play through it and progress as the season goes on. We’ll take it game by game.”

I don't even know what to say...

...it's all been said, I guess.

Will Galen
10-14-2005, 12:43 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051013/SPORTS04/510130507/1088

Pacers 99, Jazz 92
Pacers handle Jazz in preseason home opener

By Steve Herman
Associated Press
Rookie Sarunas Jasikevicius made Ron Artest's first home appearance a whole lot sweeter.

Jasikevicius, a 29-year-old Lithuanian who played college ball at Maryland, had 13 of his 18 points in the fourth quarter Thursday night as the Indiana Pacers came from behind and beat the Utah Jazz 99-92.

Artest, playing his first game at home since he was suspended following the brawl with Detroit fans last November, had 23 points, but Indiana still trailed by seven after a basket by Utah rookie Deron Williams early in the final period.

Two free throws each by Artest and Austin Croshere made it 77-74, then after Williams scored again, two more free throws by Croshere and a 3-pointer by Jasikevicius tied the game. There was one more tie before a basket by Stephen Jackson put the Pacers in front for good.
Jasikevicius and Jackson, who finished with 15 points, combined for 18 of Indiana's final 20 points.

The Jazz (1-1) pulled within 96-92 on a 3-pointer by Williams with 32 seconds to go, but Jasikevicius scored the final basket and free throw to clinch the win for the Pacers (1-1).

Williams, the third overall pick in the draft, led Utah with 17 points.
Artest, who missed the final 73 regular-season games and all of the playoffs because of his suspension by the league, was the focus of Indiana's offense at the beginning. He scored the Pacers' first two baskets and took five shots in the first four minutes of the game. His third basket put Indiana up 10-5 midway through the opening period.

The Jazz managed only three free throws in a stretch of almost eight minutes before a basket by Mehmet Okur cut Indiana's lead to 14-10 at the end of the quarter.

With reserves in the game, Utah came back in the second quarter, tying the game seven times before two free throws by Williams put the Jazz up 35-33 with under two minutes left in the half. Indiana regained a 40-37 lead at the half, but Utah took control in the third quarter and had its biggest lead at 73-65 early in the final period.

For the second straight game, Indiana was without Jermaine O'Neal because of a bruise to his right thigh.

Kegboy
10-14-2005, 01:25 AM
My mom said the other day that she hates the word "pandemic". I'm starting to see why. :( :kickcan:

Also, is Carlisle bringing up Ron's "conditioning" code for "lose some f'ing weight!!!"

Jon Theodore
10-14-2005, 02:34 AM
Well so far this season is not looking too good. Looks like this team wont be in full swing until halfway through the season, but that may work really well for us.

Getting the lower seed, actually the Pacers team seems to thrive with the underdog role.

I just hope we aren't injured all season.

317Kim
10-14-2005, 06:48 AM
thanks for postin the articles. I like this from Conrad...

Utah's only injured player was a guy named None, not believed to be any relation to Denver's Brazilian power forward.

:lol2:

Eindar
10-14-2005, 08:23 AM
Bender gave us the "game by game" spiel last year, then he sat out most of it.

This injury thing is really a problem. Are we not properly stretching before games? There has to be a reason everyone on the team is gimpy.

Frank Slade
10-14-2005, 09:55 AM
My mom said the other day that she hates the word "pandemic". I'm starting to see why. :( :kickcan:

Also, is Carlisle bringing up Ron's "conditioning" code for "lose some f'ing weight!!!"

that was my thought. And as soon as I heard he bulked up.. I was thinking he will probably loose the "muscle" that he added over the summer in the first month of real action.