PDA

View Full Version : OT: LeBron

grace
10-13-2005, 03:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2190189

James was admitted to the Cleveland Clinic on Wednesday night as he continued to experience discomfort for what has been diagnosed by team doctors as a strained left pectoral muscle. The team didn't reveal James' hospital stay until Thursday when the 20-year-old did not practice with the Cavaliers.

See, every teams medical staff keeps secrets.

317Kim
10-13-2005, 04:48 PM
:nod: I guess so... :hmm:

DisplacedKnick
10-13-2005, 04:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2190189

See, every teams medical staff keeps secrets.

Don't you mean, (Clears throat to sound official) Every team; "Agrees to treat player medical records with the utmost confidentiality appropriate to a physician-patient relationship."?

Gyron
10-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Hmmm.....Mystery Chest ailment....And David Harrison has a mystery side ailment.....

Have these two boys been hanging out together somewhere they shouldn't?

317Kim
10-13-2005, 05:00 PM
I hope not! :hmm:

Eindar
10-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Maybe Bender was actually in New Orleans learning Voodoo this summer, and he's now inflicting his injuries on others so that he can remain healthy for the season.

317Kim
10-13-2005, 05:50 PM
Maybe Bender was actually in New Orleans learning Voodoo this summer, and he's now inflicting his injuries on others so that he can remain healthy for the season.

:hmm: Never thought of it that way...maybe......nehhhhh. couldnt. could it?

SoupIsGood
10-13-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm telling you, they've got alien parasites in themselves. Blame the network producers, it's their lame alien shows.

sweabs
10-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Hmmm.....Mystery Chest ailment....And David Harrison has a mystery side ailment.....

Have these two boys been hanging out together somewhere they shouldn't?

I heard they had quite the time with some of the Vikings.

Kaufman
10-13-2005, 09:57 PM
As a physician, "mystery" chest pain warranting admission to a hospital amongst young people almost always (85-95% of the time) tends to mean one thing and one thing only. It starts with a c- and ends with an -ocaine.

Kaufman
10-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Medical conditions tend to be kept quite hush hush in the athletic community... remember a few years ago when Kenny Anderson was starting and Tins was on the bench, and there were reports that he was in the doghouse and all that... well at that time when I was in the Indy medical community it was pretty well known that he had hemorrhoids... Never would have known it, would you have?

Stryder
10-13-2005, 11:11 PM
As a physician, "mystery" chest pain warranting admission to a hospital amongst young people almost always (85-95% of the time) tends to mean one thing and one thing only. It starts with a c- and ends with an -ocaine.

That assumption is a VERY big jump to make.

Kaufman
10-13-2005, 11:19 PM
Not really... I've worked in a hospital as a physician for about 7 years now... I feel pretty comfortable with what I have said. People don't get admitted to the hospital for just anything... Insurance, for one doesn't pay for hospital bills just like that. You have to have a relatively life threatening condition to be admitted to the hospital this day in age. Chest pain in the absence of cardiac etiology does not meet criteria for hospital admission. I don't care how rich or special Bron Bron is. Unless the media protects him, which it often does for athletes, my guess is you are going to hear drugs get into the conversation in the next few days if this story lives.

Pacers#1Fan
10-13-2005, 11:20 PM
Maybe Bender was actually in New Orleans learning Voodoo this summer, and he's now inflicting his injuries on others so that he can remain healthy for the season.It's possible ;)

SoupIsGood
10-13-2005, 11:26 PM
Medical conditions tend to be kept quite hush hush in the athletic community... remember a few years ago when Kenny Anderson was starting and Tins was on the bench, and there were reports that he was in the doghouse and all that... well at that time when I was in the Indy medical community it was pretty well known that he had hemorrhoids... Never would have known it, would you have?

Do those keep a dude from playing basketball? :confused:

SoupIsGood
10-13-2005, 11:27 PM

But it isn't a "mystery" pain, it's a strained left pec.... or maybe I'm not folowing you here. How does coke strain a pec.

Mordecaii
10-13-2005, 11:28 PM
It was loosely diagnosed as a peck strain, but he said he didn't remember straining it or getting hit so it may not be a strained muscle.

Kaufman
10-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Would you be admitted to a hospital overnight for a sprained ankle?

Kaufman
10-13-2005, 11:30 PM
If someone is having chest pain, cardiac in origin, you don't come out and say that someone is having heart problems. You say that the chest pain is due to a muscle strain.

Mordecaii
Would you be admitted to a hospital overnight for a sprained ankle?

They made it sound like they were checking him for heart conditions...

Kaufman
Heart!! Aha!

SoupIsGood
10-13-2005, 11:31 PM
I think you are being overly cynical.

Kaufman
Heart !!! that's what is in the chest that would be admission worthy criteria...

Kaufman
How is it being overly cynical?

Mordecaii
10-13-2005, 11:32 PM
I might be crazy but I think I sense some sarcasm

Kaufman
10-13-2005, 11:32 PM
Chest pain in a healthy 20 year old is almost inequivically caused by cocaine.

SoupIsGood
10-13-2005, 11:33 PM
Okay.

"I'm having chest pains and I don't know why."

I'm assuming that would get LeBron admitted.

"Oh, you just have a strained pec."

I'm assuming that'd get him right back out.

Why couldn't this be the way it went?

Kaufman
10-13-2005, 11:33 PM
Sarcasm yes, cynical no. I'm trying to explain how these things get shoved under the rug. I've done this for athletes, only twice in my career, but I have done it. Its a common thing.

SoupIsGood
10-13-2005, 11:34 PM

Strained left pecs included?? :confused:

Mordecaii
10-13-2005, 11:34 PM
maybe he got elbowed in his sleep and that's why he didn't remember it? :-p

Kaufman
10-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Before we get admitted, we go through the emergency department. There, they do all the preliminary work. X-rays, etc are done there. There, someone would say, "Bron Bron, go home. You have a strained pec." However, someone instead said "Bron Bron, we need to keep you overnight. There is some risk if you go home. We need to monitor a few things (to make sure you don't drop dead after we discharge you, we need to clear you, because if we don't, we'll be liable and you'll sue us, or your mom will sue us if something happens to you). So that's why we need to keep you in the hospital overnight."

SycamoreKen
10-13-2005, 11:38 PM

So the various 20 and under athletes that have been diagnosed with or died from enlarged hearts and such over the past couple of years were all taking cocaine? Ooooookayyyyyyyy.:rolleyes:

SoupIsGood
Before we get admitted, we go through the emergency department. There, they do all the preliminary work. X-rays, etc are done there. There, someone would say, "Bron Bron, go home. You have a strained pec." However, someone instead said "Bron Bron, we need to keep you overnight. There is some risk if you go home. We need to monitor a few things (to make sure you don't drop dead after we discharge you, we need to clear you, because if we don't, we'll be liable and you'll sue us, or your mom will sue us if something happens to you). So that's why we need to keep you in the hospital overnight."

I see. Thanks, it makes sense now.

Kaufman
Sure pec strain can cause chest pain, but not if it was admissible. That's a different chest pain. Someone is worried Bron Bron had a heart attack. When you have that fear, you keep someone in the hospital about 24-36 hours.

Kaufman
10-13-2005, 11:42 PM
The guys who have enlarged hearts, they don't experience chest pain. That's why they die all of a sudden. If they had pain, that would be good, because it would serve as a warning, that something bad was going on with someone's heart. Hypertrophic heart disease, which is what Reggie Lewis, and Hank Gathers, and the player from LN who was going to come to UK (who's name I can't mention) all had that condition. They dropped dead without chest pain. In those cases, chest pain would have been good, because it would have been predictive. Someone would have gotten them to a hospital before it got to a point where it got so bad. Do you follow me?

Stryder
10-13-2005, 11:42 PM

You do realize that his money, fame, and notoriety will get him in quicker to the hospital than anyone else could ever be admitted. He really doesn't need to worry about insurance.

I still say it is a HUGE stretch to even contemplate cocaine use.

PS.

Are NBA players randomly drug tested for DOA? I'm not a CBA scholar.

Suaveness
10-13-2005, 11:45 PM
The guys who have enlarged hearts, they don't experience chest pain. That's why they die all of a sudden. If they had pain, that would be good, because it would serve as a warning, that something bad was going on with someone's heart. Hypertrophic heart disease, which is what Reggie Lewis, and Hank Gathers, and the player from LN who was going to come to UK (who's name I can't mention) all had that condition. They dropped dead without chest pain. In those cases, chest pain would have been good, because it would have been predictive. Someone would have gotten them to a hospital before it got to a point where it got so bad. Do you follow me?

Michael Stewart I believe.

And I don't know, I'm skeptical with the cocaine stuff. Taking precautions doesn't necessarily mean that there is something wrong. It's better to be cautious than to make a misdiagnosis. Which I'm sure they especially don't want to do in this case. Maybe the tests were sketchy. I honestly don't know. And maybe it could be cocaine. I don't know. But it just doesn't seem like it would be that.

Mordecaii
10-13-2005, 11:47 PM
Well, it sure doesn't sound like just a muscle strain. I don't want to even try to guess beyond that since we don't really know enough info.

Kaufman
10-13-2005, 11:47 PM
Well the thing is, people with the fame of Bron Bron don't want to be in hospitals. There are too many people around, technicians, nurses, housecleaners, that Bron's privacy is really lost. Athletes don't want to be in public places like that. If you want to make the argument about fame and money, why doesn't he just have the hospital come to him at his home?? Think about it. If he is having a heart attack, he needs to be around a catheterization lab and other medicines. If he just has a strain, as you hypothesize, then why wouldn't he have doctors nurses and the like come to him?? Consider it.

Stryder
10-13-2005, 11:49 PM
Michael Stewart I believe.

And I don't know, I'm skeptical with the cocaine stuff. Taking precautions doesn't necessarily mean that there is something wrong. It's better to be cautious than to make a misdiagnosis. Which I'm sure they especially don't want to do in this case. Maybe the tests were sketchy. I honestly don't know. And maybe it could be cocaine. I don't know. But it just doesn't seem like it would be that.

John Stewart

Suaveness
10-13-2005, 11:50 PM
John Stewart

There we go. That was a year before I went to LN I think. I remember hearing about that on the radio.

Kaufman
10-13-2005, 11:51 PM
I can't say his name because of contractual obligation to University of Kentucky but Stryder is correct.

SycamoreKen
10-13-2005, 11:52 PM
I understand what you are saying, but people of all ages have chest pains without using drugs. To throw it out as the "probable" cause is irresponsible at best. Especially if you are in the profession you claim to be in.

From what read him say, it seems to be a mysterious muscle type injury since he doesn't know when he hurt it. If it was anything worse, I would think he wouldn't make any type of statement at all.

Stryder
10-13-2005, 11:54 PM
I can't say his name because of contractual obligation to University of Kentucky but Stryder is correct.

Huh? What do you mean by this statement?

Kaufman
10-13-2005, 11:58 PM
Well believe what you will and what you want, but in dealing with things like this on a frequent basis, Bron Bron made the comment because these things don't stay secrets in the confines of a hospital. If you think a guy of his magnitude is going to get admitted to a hospital without it getting into the media, you would be wrong. A housekeeper makes a quick dollar by calling ESPN or the local news and telling them that Bron Bron is there and they saw the EKG machine being rolled into his room. Second of all, next time you are in to see your physician, ask him or her about chest pain in a 20 or 30 year old male patient, and things that could cause that pain to be so great that he'd get admitted. I can understand that you might not trust me as a doctor, but you should hopefully trust your own physician.

Kaufman
10-14-2005, 12:03 AM
I can't say his name because I am a physician for the University of Kentucky and cannot say anything about the medical condition of any athlete related to the University.

Arcadian
10-14-2005, 01:40 AM
I can't say his name because I am a physician for the University of Kentucky and cannot say anything about the medical condition of any athlete related to the University.

So you can't tell me why Antione Walker shakes like that?

NorCal_Pacerfan
10-14-2005, 04:41 AM
The real truth is that there are a few black-ops teams that are funded from secret sources. These sources target certain teams and players using state-of-the-art bio-technology in order to render teams ineffective at certain critical points in the season. The reasons are many, including money, fame, and a few others that if I told you I'd have to kill you - and myself.

DisplacedKnick
10-14-2005, 01:52 PM
And the diagnosis is Pleurisy:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2191096

Updated: Oct. 14, 2005, 1:34 PM ET
James out of hospital after treatment for pleurisyAssociated Press

CLEVELAND -- Cavaliers All-Star forward LeBron James was released from the hospital Friday following a two-night stay because of a virus that caused severe pain in his chest.

Pleurisy at a glance

James

What is pleurisy?
Pleurisy is an inflammation of the pleura, the lining of the lungs, with subsequent pain.

Causes
Pleurisy may develop in the presence of lung inflammation (pneumonia, tuberculosis), rheumatic diseases, chest trauma, certain cancers, and asbestos-related disease.

Symptoms
The main symptom is pain over the chest wall at the site of the inflammation. In some circumstances, the pain may be felt in the shoulder. Other symptoms include cough, fever, and malaise.

Treatment and prognosis
Treatment is directed at the underlying illness. Recovery depends on the nature of the underlying illness. Recovery from infections of all types is expected with treatment. Recovery from pleurisy caused by malignant disease depends on the type and extent of the illness.

Source: U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health.

James was hospitalized Wednesday for what the team initially called a strained pectoral muscle. But Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry said Friday that James came down with pleurisy, an inflammation of the thin layers of tissue covering the lungs and chest cavity.

James is being treated with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication. He will miss the team's preseason home opener Friday night against Philadelphia.

This is just a small piece of the article - I did leave in the description of pleurisy.

Also, I had a friend of mine who spent a few days in the hospital with chest pains which was endocarditis (I think that was what they called it - an infection and inflammation of the heart lining). He was 23 and in decent health (not Lebron shape certainly).

Kaufman
10-14-2005, 05:33 PM
www.biomed.lib.umn.edu/hw/intravenous.html

DisplacedKnick
10-14-2005, 06:12 PM
www.biomed.lib.umn.edu/hw/intravenous.html

Wrong thing then - he described it as an infection in the lining around his heart - not valves. Was in the hospital for a few days with it.

And he was definitely NOT a drug user (smoked the occasional cigar and chewed when he was in the barn or roping though).

Kaufman
10-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Pericarditis? Its still a weird disease to get as a youngin'.
Endocarditis people are basically sick as hell. Pericarditis would cause chest pain. Can be viral in etiology. Coxsackie I think can cause pericarditis, amongst other things.

DisplacedKnick
10-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Pericarditis? Its still a weird disease to get as a youngin'.
Endocarditis people are basically sick as hell. Pericarditis would cause chest pain. Can be viral in etiology. Coxsackie I think can cause pericarditis, amongst other things.

That's probably it - they thought he was having a heart attack.

Kaufman
10-15-2005, 12:41 AM
That is something I could believe. He probably took a lot of aspirin or advil or ibuprofen to get better.

Stryder
10-15-2005, 02:41 AM
That is something I could believe. He probably took a lot of aspirin or advil or ibuprofen to get better.

...which is a leap from the cocaine statements you made earlier...

Bball
10-15-2005, 05:25 AM
He had me convinced.... It made too much sense and seemed pretty predictable...

-Bball

Kaufman
10-15-2005, 06:50 AM
Aspirin and ibuprofen and advil for Displaced Knick's friend. That is the treatment for pericarditis, inflammation around the heart. Regarding LBJ, I am sticking to my original theory. I think there is an 85-95% chance that cocaine was involved. And so he was admitted to the hospital to make sure that he didn't have a heart attack, because cocaine causes vasospasm of the coronary arteries, which can sure lead to an acute coronary syndrome. So in any cocaine user, you have to rule out a heart attack before you do anything else. Now he might not have had a heart attack, but they had to make sure he didn't first and foremost. After that, we doctors will label chest pain as being of non-cardiac origin, similarly to what LBJ was labeled, pleurisy. Sometimes we'll say it's musculoskelatal, like a strained pectoral, for example. Sometimes we'll say it's due to bad indigestion. But no matter what, if we're worried someone has had a heart attack, they get admitted for 24 to 36 hours.

DisplacedKnick
10-15-2005, 09:03 AM

Remember this is 20 years ago but he spent a couple of days in the hospital with an IV drip (beyond saline). Once he got home I don't know what he did.

Was one heckuva surprise to get a call that a 23-year old friend of yours who's in decent (not great) shape's been taken to the hospital with chest pains.

Will Galen
10-15-2005, 02:21 PM
Wow, when some people get something stuck in there head they wont let it go.

LBJ couldnt have had anything else, it must have been cocaine.....

and we never landed on the moon!

I don't know why you are ragging the man. He's giving an experienced knowledgeable opinion. And he didn't say it was cocaine, he gave a high percentage.

Will Galen
10-15-2005, 08:54 PM
And when you say 85-95%, you might as well go ahead and say he did it....

I didn't think that because of LBJ's background. If it would have been someone like Resheed Wallace who's been caught smoking weed I would have said, "Yep sounds like him."

Percentages are used for a reason. If your boss says he's only going to give you 85% of your salary and go ahead and say he give it all to you, I think you would see the point.

Kaufman
10-15-2005, 08:56 PM
Well no, I'm not saying he definitely did it. I'm saying I'm suspicious of it. Medicine is about playing the odds, unfortunately. Thats why its called a practice, physicians "practice" medicine to learn more and be able to bet the odds correctly. Unfortunately sometimes we bet the wrong way and then there are lawsuits.
All I'm saying is that based on everything I've ever learned in medical school and residency training thereafter, all signs point to cocaine being a high likelihood. But then ducks do make doctors into fools every once and a while.
In working with athletes, albeit collegians, I do know that for various reasons, most often related to privacy issues, this group likes to do their best to stay out of hospitals. Like I said earlier, no matter who you are, randoms clean your room, wheel you in and out from one department to another, and rumors get around in the hospital. Something pretty serious was going on with Bron Bron, and it wasn't a muscle strain, and I have my doubts about pleurisy.

Kaufman
10-15-2005, 09:34 PM
VA, I don't take any offense whatsoever. Man, I misdiagnose on a daily basis. And you know what, families and patients don't like it. I remember a few weeks ago, I told an old lady in the hospital that I was going to fix her husband. Well he died. And I had to swallow my pride. I can't get offended and nor do I blame you for your skepticism. I'm sorry things didn't work out for you. But do you think those doctors that misdiagnosed you did it intentionally? If not, then you shouldn't be skeptical. Those injuries were a part of life and you had to live through them. I'm sure your doctors did the best they could for you, and if they didn't, shame on them.

Kaufman
10-15-2005, 10:02 PM
Cortisone... ahhh the steroids. Fixes all things, good and bad.

Kaufman
10-15-2005, 10:05 PM
Dude, sports or not, at least you are still alive. I see 60 and 70 year old women, they fall at the mall and break their hips and die in the hospital. You've got nothing to be bitter about. Move on and enjoy life. One day you're going to really need a doctor, and that day you'll lose your grudge very quickly.

BlueNGold
10-15-2005, 11:27 PM
I have had pleurisy a few times and it is painful but is not a serious illness. At least for me, it feels like I was being stabbed in the lung every time I took a substantial breath. If you don't breath, there is no pain...but of course that presents a dillemma. For me, the pain is relieved by taking one big painful intake of air into the lungs. It feels like part of the lung pops and the pain goes away...maybe the pain is not as much the inflammation of the tissue as it is pressure. I believe taking a large, deep breath relieves some pressure in the area of the inflammation.

Not sure if Lebron had it or it was something more sinister...but if he did have it, it must have been a serious case.

Kaufman
10-15-2005, 11:41 PM
Well the thing is, VA, that I don't mean forget your injuries, I mean forget your bitterness towards professionals trying to help you. I know it happens, I know patients take out their frustration from their illnesses on doctors (its why I personally hate my dentist and all other dentists), but this is something that is not their faults. Its like cancer patients, they often can get into a rut where they transfer their feelings about their disease on the physician. The physician didn't cause the disease, but they are trying to help it go away. And furthermore, there ISN'T a cure to everything that isn't right with our bodies. We only have one body and there's only so much we can abuse it (abuse in a big picture...everything we do to our bodies is abuse)... doctors can't always get us out of the jams we get ourselves in.

Kaufman
10-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Blue and gold, out of curiosity, how many times did you get admitted to the hospital overnight for treatment or diagnosis of pleurisy?

sweabs
10-16-2005, 12:29 AM
I have had pleurisy a few times and it is painful but is not a serious illness. At least for me, it feels like I was being stabbed in the lung every time I took a substantial breath. If you don't breath, there is no pain...but of course that presents a dillemma. For me, the pain is relieved by taking one big painful intake of air into the lungs. It feels like part of the lung pops and the pain goes away...maybe the pain is not as much the inflammation of the tissue as it is pressure. I believe taking a large, deep breath relieves some pressure in the area of the inflammation.

Not sure if Lebron had it or it was something more sinister...but if he did have it, it must have been a serious case.

I just read over this, and I can tell you that I've experienced the exact same thing on numerous occassions. You described it perfectly......and this is pleurisy?

This was not told by an expert opinion, but I was informed that it occurred for no other reason than poor posture?!

Is this something that I need to get checked out or treated? I mean, it's no big deal for me anyway with the free health care and all.................

Pacers#1Fan
10-16-2005, 12:33 AM
I hope everything works out for Bron.

Kaufman
10-16-2005, 02:29 AM
rcarey,
Pleurisy has nothing to do with posture. Second of all, pleurisy in and of itself is not life threatening or life altering. 90% of the time it is due to infection, and it is essentially inflammation of the lining of the lungs. Whatever you are talking about, posture and all, well that has nothing nada no-thing to do with pleurisy.

sweabs
10-16-2005, 11:04 AM
rcarey,
Pleurisy has nothing to do with posture. Second of all, pleurisy in and of itself is not life threatening or life altering. 90% of the time it is due to infection, and it is essentially inflammation of the lining of the lungs. Whatever you are talking about, posture and all, well that has nothing nada no-thing to do with pleurisy.

Sorry to bother you for medical advice...but why do I get it on occassion? And is it something that I should get treated or looked at?

Kaufman
10-16-2005, 11:14 AM
How old are you? Tell me more about the pain, how would you rate in, scale 1-10, 10 being the worst pain you've ever had? Is it a dull pain, a sharp pain, achy pain? Where exactly is the pain in your chest? The front, the right, the left, the back? Tell me what makes the pain worse and what makes it better? Have you taken anything for the pain that has made it better? Are you short of breath when the pain is going on? Do you smoke? Do you get sweaty when the pain starts? Does the pain radiate anywhere? There are a lot of questions, guy. You can tell me your answers and I'll try to give you an educated guess having not seen you. The bottom line though is that if its concerning to you, you should go see your family doctor.

sweabs
10-16-2005, 11:22 AM
How old are you? Tell me more about the pain, how would you rate in, scale 1-10, 10 being the worst pain you've ever had? Is it a dull pain, a sharp pain, achy pain? Where exactly is the pain in your chest? The front, the right, the left, the back? Tell me what makes the pain worse and what makes it better? Have you taken anything for the pain that has made it better? Are you short of breath when the pain is going on? Do you smoke? Do you get sweaty when the pain starts? Does the pain radiate anywhere? There are a lot of questions, guy. You can tell me your answers and I'll try to give you an educated guess having not seen you. The bottom line though is that if its concerning to you, you should go see your family doctor.

20 years old.
I would say the pain is around an 8 or 9 when it happens.
The pain is usually to the left side of my chest.
The only thing that makes it better, like BlueNGold stated, is taking a deep breath and feeling almost that "popping" sensation.
I've never taken anything for the problem, and really never told anyone about it.
Short of breath? I don't know if I'd say that...but the pain causes me to take little breaths because the deeper they are, the more it hurts (until you just do that big one to stop it all).
Never smoked a thing in my life.
Don't get sweaty when the pain starts.

Thanks again for your help...

Kaufman
10-16-2005, 11:25 AM
What times of day does it occur? How often does it occur? Do you have a cough? And how long has this "pain" been going on for - months, years, decades? Able and Hicks, affectionately known as Dr. Cox, might not like us practicing medicine on his site here, so why don't you email me on the email system they have on this website your answers and I'll answer you back that way.

sweabs
10-16-2005, 11:28 AM
What times of day does it occur? How often does it occur? Do you have a cough? And how long has this "pain" been going on for - months, years, decades?

It can occur at any time during the day.
It happens about once every 3-4 months.
No cough.
I've had this problem since I was about 12 or 13 years old from what I can remember. So about 7-8 years.

Kaufman
10-16-2005, 11:36 AM
Well, that it has gone on for 7-8 years, and I'm assuming it has not worsened, I don't think it is anything to worry about. But again, having not seen you, if you feel strongly about it, go in to the doctor's office. The one thing I would say is this, next time you experience this pain, try to relate it to the last time you ate food. I would have to know also, how long this pain lasts when it comes on - does it stick around for a few days or does it just last a few seconds? My overall thought is that it might be simple indigestion.

Hicks
10-16-2005, 11:40 AM
If you're OK with talking about it here, so am I.

sweabs
10-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks bud. The good thing is it's been a while since the last time I've had one of these (longer than the 3-4 month intervals of regular occurence). Next time it happens, I'll pay close attention to what I ate.

sweabs
10-16-2005, 11:43 AM
If you're OK with talking about it here, so am I.

Yeah, I should have done this through PM's. I was just trying to respond quickly because I saw indiana31 was online, and wanted to get him while he was here.............

BlueNGold
10-16-2005, 12:21 PM
Blue and gold, out of curiosity, how many times did you get admitted to the hospital overnight for treatment or diagnosis of pleurisy?
I have never been admitted to the hospital for it. It is a minor ailment, albeit painful.

BlueNGold
10-16-2005, 12:24 PM
I just read over this, and I can tell you that I've experienced the exact same thing on numerous occassions. You described it perfectly......and this is pleurisy?

This was not told by an expert opinion, but I was informed that it occurred for no other reason than poor posture?!

Is this something that I need to get checked out or treated? I mean, it's no big deal for me anyway with the free health care and all.................
I gave the symptoms to an MD many years ago and he told me it was pleurisy. That is all I know about it.

BlueNGold
10-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I should have done this through PM's. I was just trying to respond quickly because I saw indiana31 was online, and wanted to get him while he was here.............

It is clear to me you have the same issue as I do. However, I just turned 40 last week...and have had the problem periodically since my teens. I am no longer worried about it since I have so little useful life left. ;)

Pacersfan46
10-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Hell, I have the same thing these guys talk about. I just figured everyone had it. A couple friends I've talked to about it said they had the same thing. Only difference is mine moves around my rib area. Sometimes it's lower than others. Always in the ribs though. Don't think that was mentioned.

Wudeva.

LOL

Kaufman
10-16-2005, 03:10 PM
The funny thing is, pleurisy is sort of a diagnosis doctors give to patients when they simply cannot figure out what else is going on or could be causing someone's pain. Its not necessarily ethically right, but physicians feel that as long as there is no cardiac problem and cancer isn't involved, nothing is that bad.

Anthem
10-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Just my two cents.

I'm not a doctor, and I certainly don't know more about medical stuff than Indy31. But when I went to the ER with a heart condition (tachycardia) at 20, the doctor wouldn't leave me alone about cocaine. He was 100% positive I was doing crack.

EDIT: For clarification, let me say I've never done cocaine.

Los Angeles
10-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Just my two cents.

I'm not a doctor, and I certainly don't know more about medical stuff than Indy31. But when I went to the ER with a heart condition (tachycardia) at 20, the doctor wouldn't leave me alone about cocaine. He was 100% positive I was doing crack.

"It's a Jump to Conclusions Mat! You see it would be this mat - with different CONCLUSIONS written on it - that you could JUMP to."

Similar thing happened with me. I didn't have a heart problem, I had a seriously sharp pain (that since was suspected to be a "knot" in my diaphragm) that I just couldn't figure out. The guy just wouldn't let the drug thing go, simply assuming that I was lying to him until I literally told him to "shut the **** up about drugs and find out what is wrong with me". After that, I think he believed me but not enough to keep the "possibility of drugs" subject away from my mother.

After that, my mother assumed that I was an addict. That was a fun 6 months. :rolleyes:

Kaufman
10-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Hey Los Angeles, and Anthem,

Thank you for enlightening me on your experiences. Look I myself am only in my late 20's. And you are right, its somewhat shady that we as a profession look at young people with chest pain in the same light, but it is all too often that we see cocaine end up being the culprit for chest pain. I do try to make my young patients tell me themselves, so I probably am guilty for harrassing people like yourselves, but you'd be surprised at just how often I get urine drug screens on these people and walla - COCAINE. Don't take it as anything personal. We are just trying to do our jobs. But I'll bet neither of you guys got admitted to the hospital. Bron Bron got admitted. That tells me that either his urine drug screen came back positive, or he admitted to some cocaine use, or he had some EKG changes that were consistent. But thanks for telling me about your experiences. I'll be a little less aggressive in the future with young people, but see where we are coming from, that's all.

Anthem
10-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Oh, I didn't blame the doctor. I just thought it was funny. And I have no problem being the exception to the rule.

I didn't get admitted, but then I didn't want to get admitted. I just wanted my heart to slow down.

Kaufman
10-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Its never an option, whether or not you want to be admitted. If the ER doctor you see feels you need to be admitted, then you are admitted. If you thereafter were to refuse admission, then your insurance would not pay your ER bill. ER bills aren't cheap. So most people go along with admission.

If you want to be admitted, but the ER physician doesn't feel you meet admission criteria, you would be refused. Hospitals are businesses, and if you didn't meet admission criteria, your insurance company wouldn't pay the hospital bill. Hospital bills aren't cheap my friend.

Anthem
10-16-2005, 11:13 PM
Its never an option, whether or not you want to be admitted. If the ER doctor you see feels you need to be admitted, then you are admitted. If you thereafter were to refuse admission, then your insurance would not pay your ER bill. ER bills aren't cheap. So most people go along with admission.

If you want to be admitted, but the ER physician doesn't feel you meet admission criteria, you would be refused. Hospitals are businesses, and if you didn't meet admission criteria, your insurance company wouldn't pay the hospital bill. Hospital bills aren't cheap my friend.

Gotcha.