PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Dress Code-Good idea?

Skaut_Ech
10-13-2005, 09:21 AM
I am really for a dress code. :blush:I'll tell ya what cemented my opinion.

I was at a game late last year and was sitting somewhat close to the bench. Who I was looking at was Harrison. He was wearing blue jeans with a flannel shirt, which of course was untucked and hanging down to mid-thigh. He sat there slumped down in his seat. I thought to myself "This guy is a professional and this is how he choses to present himself? This is the image he wants to project for my team and my city?" :hmm::lazy:

I think for the overall image of the NBA it's a great thing, but with all the primadonnas in the NBA, it'll never work. One player said he was "offended" that a dress code would be enforced. Offended? :rolleyes: All these players are railing against it. I don't get it. For a couple of hours a day, a couple of times a week, IF you aren't playing, the NBA wants you to look professional and help foster the image of a professional league, instead of a guy who took time from cutting his grass, or laying around watching TV, to come to the game and sit on the bench.

Tell me you didn't have a touch more pride in Reggie when he sat on the bench in a nice suit, or talked to the press, rather than some of the put-on-the-first-thing-I-can-find outfits some players wear. :proud:

In the grand scheme of things, it's not that big a deal, but seeing how slovenly Harrison dresses and some of the other clothing that players on other teams wear, I like the idea. I read where one player was upset cause he uses sitting on the bench to promote his clothing line. Hello? Who made that possible? The NBA. You have the nerve to get angry with them? Unreal.

So, go ahead, tell me what you think.

Stryder
10-13-2005, 09:26 AM
Yes. I like the dress code. It'll make some of these guys look "professional" as they should be.

MagicRat
10-13-2005, 09:29 AM
I'm all for it. I complained about it last year and people complained about my complaining.

Never say Jamaal isn't a leader. He got them all to dress like bums.....(or at least bums with gigantic expensive watches).........

Unclebuck
10-13-2005, 10:12 AM
I don't really care either way. What would be the best is if they didn't have a dress code at all, but the players chose on their own to look decent while at work.

naptownmenace
10-13-2005, 10:19 AM
I don't really care either way. What would be the best is if they didn't have a dress code at all, but the players chose on their own to look decent while at work.

That ship sailed a long time ago.

Throwing on a T-shirt and Jeans, when you are making millions of dollars and are too hurt to play and help out the team anyway, smacks of laziness to me.

BluBlood
10-13-2005, 10:26 AM
It's nice to see a player wear a suit on the sidelines. Actually, i kind of expect it. But really, it doesnt bother me what they wear when not playing.

What DOES bother me is when Harrison plays in a game, with shorts that are way to baggy, forcing him to constantly hike them up. I was at a game last year and he was running down the court, pulling up his shorts, and a pass bounced off of his chest. I was livid.

dannyboy
10-13-2005, 10:31 AM
In the grand scheme of things, it's not that big a deal,This pretty much sums it up for me.

This following is a statement from AI on the dress code. I can't decide if it is utterly absurd or slightly valid. I've read it repeatedly and I'm leaning toward absurd but I'm not sure.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/4978462

"It sends a bad message to kids," Iverson told The Philadelphia Inquirer. "If you don't have a suit when you go to school, is your teacher going to think you're a bad kid because you don't have a suit on?"

DisplacedKnick
10-13-2005, 10:36 AM
I mentioned this on the Knicks Board.

What I liked was Marcus Camby saying that if they had a dress code NBA players ought to get a stipend to help them buy them.

That's so sweet - I think we can institute that right after we hold the first annual, "Latrell Sprewell Family Food Drive."

This whining about a dress code's gotten old for me real quick. I'd love to be able to show up at work every day in jeans and a t-shirt - or even wearing sweats. Guess what - we have a dress code. And we don't get a clothing allowance either.

Sometimes when you take the man's money you do what the man tells you to.

Poor babies. :rolleyes:

Hicks
10-13-2005, 10:37 AM
If Iverson is trying to liken himself to a school child, I can't disagree...

McClintic Sphere
10-13-2005, 10:39 AM
I'm one who never really liked suits and think of them more as straight jackets. Besides, suits can be just as obnoxious and self-aggrandizing as any other form of dress. I used to love to see what Brewer was going to introduce in his frequent IR time with the P's and Scot Pollard is like the 2nd coming of Elton John during the 70's.

Frank Slade
10-13-2005, 10:42 AM
Although I realize now its a mute point but before when there was no dress code there was no harm in wearing street clothes as opposed to an armani suit. It really has no bearing on who you are or the size of your bank account.

If your place of employment said there was no dress code , honestly what would wear to work every day a suit or jeans and a t-shirt..?

No doubt the players look more classy IMO in a suit on the sideline, but to imply that the league's image is being hurt by AI and company wearing whatever they want is ridiculous if the league's image is in need of repair it is certainly does not stem from that..

Keep in mind... It's the Man that makes the suit...The suit does not make the man.....if you know what I mean...

naptownmenace
10-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Granted I don't have a problem what the players wear off the court, before the game, or after the game. However, if you're too hurt to play and you're sitting courtside on the bench please don't look like a lazy bum.

I don't know why people are making this into a suit issue either. They don't even have to wear a suit according to the dress code. Jeans and tees are out but a pair of kahkis and a polo will be withing the rules. No hats or sunglasses during interviews. I don't think the NBA is asking too much of their high-pay employees.

Hicks
10-13-2005, 11:04 AM
What I see is a current generation that wants to pretend image is nothing, when it is. It does make a difference dressing like you're in high school vs dressing like a professional. I should know; for the past year I've felt more and more embarassed at my own attire (I'm a Lord of jeans and t-shirts).

Frank Slade
10-13-2005, 11:22 AM
The NBA is pondering a dress code -- one that would require players to wear slacks and coats while entering and exiting arenas, as well as on team flights and at public functions

Regardless, Jazz coach Jerry Sloan wouldn't mind seeing the change.

"If you don't like this business, you can always go work somewhere else," Sloan said. "We've got to try to sell this league any way we can, if it's a positive."

I agree that the dress code if implemented should be followed and no one needs to complain about it, that's life. Get over it everybody has rules that have to be followed.

My only point is it is a futile attempt at trying to repair what is a self proclaimed image problem for the NBA by David Stern...

If fans were turned off from certain antics over the last few years from a few players, they are not going to tune back in just because everyone now is dressed up.

Slick Pinkham
10-13-2005, 11:26 AM
I am in favor of a dress code when the players are in press conferences or other official appearances, or setting on the bench injured.

I don't think that they should have to adhere to a dress code 24/7 when they are out on their own or even while traveling with the team.

This would be a decent compromise.

Hicks
10-13-2005, 11:27 AM
My only point is it is a futile attempt at trying to repair what is a self proclaimed image problem for the NBA by David Stern...

If fans were turned off from certain antics over the last few years from a few players, they are not going to tune back in just because everyone now is dressed up.

Of course not, but it's a step in the right direction. A lot of times it's about a lot of little things adding up, rather than one or to grand gestures to solve a problem.

Hicks
10-13-2005, 11:29 AM
I am in favor of a dress code when the players are in press conferences or other official appearances, or setting on the bench injured.

I don't think that they should have to adhere to a dress code 24/7 when they are out on their own or even while traveling with the team.

This would be a decent compromise.

Isn't that what this dresscode already is supposed to be? Why would they ask for them to dress up at any other place?

RWB
10-13-2005, 11:36 AM
I don't know why people are making this into a suit issue either. They don't even have to wear a suit according to the dress code. Jeans and tees are out but a pair of kahkis and a polo will be withing the rules.

If Stern ever steps down, you got my vote Naptown.

naptownmenace
10-13-2005, 11:48 AM
If Stern ever steps down, you got my vote Naptown.

Thanks man! :buddies:

bread
10-13-2005, 12:09 PM
I think it's a very good idea. I mean, even on my HS teams we always had to dress nice when we went to games. Not suit & tie, but at the very least slacks and a nice button down shirt. If HS players can do it, why not NBA'ers?

They sure as hell didn't give me a stipend for it either! That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Believe_in_blue
10-13-2005, 12:34 PM
It is the most pathetic thing I have ever heard that NBA players have a problem with looking professional. Actually the stipend thing is even more pathetic. I'm just sad that it has come to this.

Suaveness
10-13-2005, 12:50 PM
As long as we win the title, I could care less. Just don't look stupid.

Believe_in_blue
10-13-2005, 12:52 PM
Also, the thing that bothers me the most is that they're whining so much. Those players have no respect for the league or the cities that they represent. Many of NBA players came off the street, and would have nothing if there wasn't an NBA. The NBA pays them millions of dollars to be professionals, and all they do is come out and pubicaly whine about something as simple as a dress code. A dress code that a true professional should impose on themselves.

I'm not calling out every NBA player. Not even the ones who have a problem with the dress code. Just the ones who come out and pubically disrespect the league by whining about a rule that should be a given. That shows that these players are not true professionals. If the NBA wants to change its immage it should filter out players who do not want to be professionals.

grace
10-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Of course I voted and enthusiastic YES on the dress code. It's almost enough to make me regret not getting season tickets.

For those who think wearing a suit is like a straight jacket try wearing stiletto heels and see how comfy they are.

DisplacedKnick
10-13-2005, 02:20 PM
For those who think wearing a suit is like a straight jacket try wearing stiletto heels and see how comfy they are.

It's not the suit - it's the tie. But I don't bring that up with women. They start telling me about shoes and bra's and pantyhose and tampons and a bunch of other stuff I really don't want to know.

grace
10-13-2005, 02:40 PM
I don't think a tie is a part of the dress code. And if you find ties so uncomfortable there's always the clip on type.

Since86
10-13-2005, 03:12 PM
What I see is a current generation that wants to pretend image is nothing, when it is. It does make a difference dressing like you're in high school vs dressing like a professional. I should know; for the past year I've felt more and more embarassed at my own attire (I'm a Lord of jeans and t-shirts).

:confused:

They dress to their wanted image. If a player came from the hood, he dresses like it. If a player came from the suburbs he dresses like it.

They know exactly what image the want to portray, and they dress the part.

Since86
10-13-2005, 03:15 PM
I don't think a tie is a part of the dress code. And if you find ties so uncomfortable there's always the clip on type.

And there are zip up ties. It has a zipper on the back tail so you can take it up and down whenever you want, and keep it loose.

We had to wear ties for HS games and my mommy bought me one.:blush: The only bad thing about it, was the other guys thinking it was fun to pull it down while we were walking somewhere. Never understood. :shrug:

grace
10-13-2005, 03:32 PM
If a player came from the hood, he dresses like it. If a player came from the suburbs he dresses like it.

Does that mean that Siggy grew up in a ... oh never mind.

Since86
10-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Does that mean that Siggy grew up in a ... oh never mind.

A brothel?:laugh:

Probably not, but I can guaruntee that his suits mirrored his demeanor. Just like Pollard. He's goofy, and he wears goofy suits.

You see someone walking down the street with spiked green hair and a green beard with black baggy shirt and shorts that matches his classic chucks and pulled up socks.(Which I saw today in downtown Muncie on my way to worK) I don't know the guy, but I'd bet a hundy that I can describe his personality.

The way you live your life is mirrored by the way you dress. AI dresses how he plays/acts.

grace
10-13-2005, 04:10 PM
So what do the skirts say about VT?

That he has good legs?

DisplacedKnick
10-13-2005, 04:47 PM

Wore those when I worked mall security in college.

They weren't bad but every time I put one on now I'm reminded of when I worked mall security in college.

Skaut_Ech
10-13-2005, 05:23 PM
For those who think wearing a suit is like a straight jacket try wearing stiletto heels and see how comfy they are. or just ask Viscious tyrant! (Man, I gotta hope VT checks this thread soon. he-he)

RWB
10-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Wore those when I worked mall security in college.

They weren't bad but every time I put one on now I'm reminded of when I worked mall security in college.

But what's the real reason for the clip-on DK???? So the guy you **** off doesn't have the opportunity to grab a real tie and use it like a leash. :-o

ajbry
10-13-2005, 05:35 PM
I don't really care. The NBA has deeper issues than what players wear off the court. The only thing the NBA should do is perhaps encourage players to wear nice threads and discuss the positives of doing so, rather than forcing them all to conform to the American business dress code. The NBA not a cubicle - let the players dress how they want to.

Jaydawg2270
10-13-2005, 06:06 PM
The NBA has no right telling the players what to wear before and after games

DisplacedKnick
10-13-2005, 06:14 PM
But what's the real reason for the clip-on DK???? So the guy you **** off doesn't have the opportunity to grab a real tie and use it like a leash. :-o

That's exactly right.

Our uniform was blue blazer, grey slacks and clip-on tie (we could choose our tie colors).

Oh - and a radio. We were very well trained in how to use a radio.

And other than the radio - no clothing allowance.

GO!!!!!
10-13-2005, 06:50 PM
They have all the chance on the court to express there love for the hood and cribs from where there from with Tats and sweatbands and raw emotions, I think it's fair that there is a Dress code for players and staff not in game uniforms..

Camby's Bytching will only make it worse, because then each Management should design and make there own suits with their sporting club logo's on em, so everyone is coordinated and looks the same

I think it's just fair...

Thumps up to the idea…

Next up free razors for all the Europeans that lost their shavers in the great ice age

grace
10-13-2005, 08:37 PM
The only thing the NBA should do is perhaps encourage players to wear nice threads and discuss the positives of doing so, rather than forcing them all to conform to the American business dress code.

You don't think they haven't tried? I seem to recall a certain Chicago Bull who had a disagreement with his coach becasue of what said player was wearing while sitting on the bench.

And another thing after years of me complaining about how players dress the league finally listened to me. Next they will go back to shorter shorts. :yes:

Hicks
10-13-2005, 09:52 PM
The NBA has no right telling the players what to wear before and after games

They have every right. They're the boss.

SoupIsGood
10-16-2005, 11:02 PM
I think it's kind of stupid. The NBA is in the entertainment business, not real estate or financial consulting. Why not let the personality of the players show through. Tim Duncan and his island attire, Jamaal and his T-shirts, Reg and his suits, etc., I just liked it that way better.

pizza guy
10-17-2005, 12:33 AM
What I think is funny about this is the NFL's contrasting issue with suits. I forget who it was, but one NFL coach wanted to wear suits a la Lombardi, but the League wouldn't allow it because they have their polos or sweatshirts or whatever. So, here's the NBA trying to get everyone in suits, and the NFL saying that suits aren't cool.

Personally, I like the dress coat. It was always nice to me to see Reggie wearing a suit with a tie and all that because it portrays professionalism. Tinsley wore his baggy jeans and t-shirts and I just assumed that he was a t-shirt kind of guy. Scot is always in something strange, and so was Brewer, but, it was an expression of themselves.

With the NBA trying to get rid of the "thug" image (no offense to those who dress that way), it's the logical move. They up-ed the age limit and tightened the dress code. It's becoming a man's league again without the kids off the streets (again, no offense).

So, I understand why some are upset, but I like the move.

grace
10-17-2005, 10:45 AM
The coach you're talking about is the new San Francisco coach. I'm old enough to remember when NFL coaches did wear suits. I don't really mind them wearing what they do now with the glaring exception of Bill Belichick. The man is the definition of a frump. There should be a rule that if they're gonna wear sweatshirts on the sidelines they can't cut the sleeves off! :soundoff:

Stryder
10-17-2005, 11:42 AM
The coach you're talking about is the new San Francisco coach. I'm old enough to remember when NFL coaches did wear suits. I don't really mind them wearing what they do now with the glaring exception of Bill Belichick. The man is the definition of a frump. There should be a rule that if they're gonna wear sweatshirts on the sidelines they can't cut the sleeves off! :soundoff:

I noticed that while watching the Pats game yesterday.

My wife said to me...

"Why does that homeless guy on the sidelines have a headset on?"

I looked at the screen, and he DID look like a homeless person. It was quite ridiculous.

I wonder why the NFL lets him get away with looking like that...

grace
10-17-2005, 05:11 PM
I wonder why the NFL lets him get away with looking like that...

Because he's won 3 Championships.

Frank Slade
10-17-2005, 08:33 PM
New NBA dress code bans most "hip-hop" fashions

October 17, 2005
NEW YORK (Ticker) - For their Halloween parties, NBA players might want to wear their throwback jerseys, Timberlands and baseball caps. That will be the last time they will be allowed to dress in that fashion.

According to a memo released Monday, the NBA is moving halfway from hip-hop to haute couture, implementing a "business casual" dress code that bans much of the sportswear favored by its players.

The memo goes into effect November 1 - Opening Night - and bans sleeveless shirts, T-shirts, shorts, sports apparel, headgear, displayed jewelry, sunglasses, headphones, sneakers, sandals and work boots. In most cases, it does not require a sport coat and never requires a tie.

"Dress jeans" are acceptable, although the memo did not indicate what qualifies as "dress jeans." However, the days of Allen Iverson doing a postgame interview in a New York Yankees cap, a Donovan McNabb jersey and a pair of unlaced boots clearly are over.

The dress code applies to "team or league business," which constitutes all activity conducted on behalf of the team or the league where the player is seen by or interacts with fans, business partners, the public, the media or other third parties.

The memo also did not indicate whether fines would be levied upon players who are not in compliance with the dress code. However, it appears the NBA will have a platoon of "fashion police."

"We know it's not possible to create a dress policy that will anticipate eery possible situation," the memo said. "Our policy therefore will be interpreted in all cases to ensure that players are neatly and professionally attired, while not being unfairly burdensome."

"Business casual" requires players to wear dress shirts - collared or turtleneck - and/or a sweater; dress slacks, khakis or dress jeans; and dress shoes or boots and socks.

Players at games but not in uniform must also wear a sport coat. Teams are permitted to make their dress codes more formal.
The dress code is a decisive shift away from the hip-hop culture that has become a fabric of the NBA during the last generation. While some players wear suits or sport coats to all team functions, a growing number often dress in casual sportswear.

With the blessing of the NBA Players Association, the league has formulated its dress code over the last month. It has no requirements for hair, tattoos, earrings or piercings.

Iverson, the All-Star guard of the Philadelphia 76ers who rarely wears a collared shirt, and San Antonio Spurs All-Star forward Tim Duncan, who often wears dress shirts and baggy jeans to team functions, are two of the NBA's more prominent players who have voiced opposition to it.

The players' dress code is less restrictive than the one for coaches, which requires dress shirts and slacks, sport coats and shoes during games and game functions. Last season, Denver Nuggets coach George Karl was fined for wearing a throwback jersey over a turtleneck during a "Hardwood Classics" night at the Pepsi Center.

Several years ago, the league fined a handful of players who were wearing shorts past their knees.

Updated on Monday, Oct 17, 2005 8:24 pm EDT

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=nbadresscode&prov=st&type=lgns

grace
10-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Define "desplayed jewlery". If you wear a wedding ring it's there for all the world to see. :rolleyes:

Stryder
10-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Define "desplayed jewlery". If you wear a wedding ring it's there for all the world to see. :rolleyes:

I think they are referencing the "bling bling" that some of the players wear...

I would have to say a tasteful earring or wedding ring would be ok.

grace
10-18-2005, 01:02 AM
Somebody is going to have to define tasteful. I would assume Iverson thinks what he wears is tasteful. :puke:

Kaufman
10-18-2005, 04:53 PM
I can see this making out for some very interesting outfits this year as players try to show up the NBA while still adhering to the rules...