PDA

View Full Version : On posting articles from elsewhere (AGAIN!)

able
10-13-2005, 09:00 AM
AGAIN, I had to take out the javascript and other <----scipted cookies from here to here ---->

If you "Cut & Paste" from "other sites" then the rules are simple.

there is 2 ways of doing it: on the originating site select printerfirendly version, copy that.
or copy everything to "notepad" and cut ou the html/java.cookkie crap and past the article plus link no this site.

If you can not be bothered by doing it correct, I can not be bothered by taking the crap out, I will simply delete the thread.

Anthem
10-16-2005, 05:31 PM
A completely fair decision. Not like you need my affirmation.

able
10-28-2005, 07:22 PM
If I wasn't clear :

Keeping all embedded links and possible other stuff you are breaking the law

It is not newsgathering and information, it is blatnatly steeling copyrighted material

Unless you are prepared to sign a huge amount of money over to Hicks and me, you are advised not to do that.

Hicks and I are the ones that will be in court if they choose to do something about it.

Having "referers" coming from this site and most certainly on "insider" stuff raises alarms.

please please please start using your brain.

Hicks
10-28-2005, 09:37 PM
No kidding. It's not hard, folks. I made the mistake once or twice too, so I understand, but I also know that since able brought it up it became obvious that it's not hard to do it the right way. Just copy the article, paste it in word or notepad, then copy that plain text, and past it in your post, and ALWAYS INCLUDE A LINK to the article.

You're doing us all a big favor when you do that, and we can't afford for you not to, so if your post got deleted, you know why.

DisplacedKnick
10-28-2005, 10:50 PM
OK - Now I know I'm not crazy - that was the NBA's worst player thread wasn't it?

Hicks
10-28-2005, 11:15 PM
Probably, yeah.

Will Galen
10-28-2005, 11:57 PM
I have a question. I usually always copy straight from a site to this forum and then cut everything out. Is that okay?

Sometimes if I have a lot to change I copy to my outlook express e-mail account before copying to the forum, is that okay?

I'm asking because it looks to me like any text I copy to this site is changed by the site anyway. I know it changes stuff from my e-mail account.

able
10-29-2005, 06:39 AM
the forum software accepts all html codes and therefore if you email in html, enfin, you get the picture.

easiest way (prevents you having to cut&paste twice) is to copy the "printerfriendly" version
other method is to copy all into "notebook" (pico/nano/vi/etc) which will either strip the html straight away because it is embedded or you can then easily remove it.

Los Angeles
10-29-2005, 11:50 AM
I talked with a friend of mine that runs a graphic design message board. He had the same problem and solved it by disabling the full WYSIWYG editor for posting. The middle version still allows for font sizing and color, smilies, etc.etc. but eliminates table formatting and links when you copy and paste.

able
10-29-2005, 12:24 PM
LA, I maintain the board, Hicks runs it, it is his baby and he decides that kind of thing, and I can imagine he wants to leave that on, but I do agree it being a very good solution.
Only reason I revert to deleting the posts is that I am not prepared to pay the penalty that could be levied upon me if people do this.

thanks for the tip

Hicks
10-29-2005, 06:07 PM
I'd prefer to leave it on, but then again if there's no real advantage to be had I have no issues with turning it down to the "lesser" editor, either.

Hicks
12-14-2005, 10:07 AM
Agreed.

By the way, I can simply turn off HTML for the site (ie using it in a post) and that should eliminate the Insider issue. Might make it tougher on Boston setting up his threads, though.

able
12-14-2005, 10:14 AM
why remove a tool because people are to lazy or desinterested to do something proper?

We just keep on deleting, some day they will get it :D

Hicks
12-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Theoretically, but most people "just don't get it" and HTML isn't readily used around here (again, except for Boston).

able
12-14-2005, 10:21 AM
LOL I readily agree with whatever you decide :)