PDA

View Full Version : Granger Making Big First Impression

Frank Slade
10-12-2005, 09:26 PM
ANKLE INJURY NOT SERIOUS
Granger Making
Big First Impression

By Conrad Brunner | Oct. 12, 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It has not taken Danny Granger long to make a positive impression.
Already, Ron Artest has declared him a future All-Star. Coach Rick Carlisle is figuring out ways to use him at two positions. Talented enough to be the fifth pick in the draft but mysteriously available to the Pacers at No. 17, the 6-8 forward from New Mexico has captured not only the Pacers' attention, but their imagination.

"He's going to be an All-Star one day," Artest said. "He could definitely start. If there's one guy I would sit for, it would be him. He's just like (Scottie)_Pippen. I would expect him to have a great year. He's young and he's got a lot to learn but he's far ahead of where I was at his age."

The unusual thing is not that Granger has performed well, it's the nature of his efforts. He isn't throwing down spectacular dunks or soaring into the rafters for monster rebounds. What he is doing is making what coaches like to call "basketball plays," meaning the right pass at the right time, the right shot for the situation, the proper cut all of the little things that become routine for a veteran but are often the last mastered by rookies.

"Granger's an impressive guy because he's very mature, he's very skilled and he has sort of a veteran disposition about him," said Carlisle. "When he walks out on the court he looks like a guy who's been here and done this before and not many rookies do. We're asking him to do a lot. We're asking him to learn two positions (small forward and power forward), which is not easy for him, but he has the basketball IQ to do it and do it well. He's an important player for us this year."

Though Granger sat out the preseason opener Tuesday night in New Jersey with a sprained ankle, the injury was believed to be mild and he could be in uniform Thursday night when the Pacers have their preseason home opener against Utah (7:00, WIBC 1070-AM). Jermaine O'Neal (bruised thigh) may play, but both David Harrison (side) and Jeff Foster (hip) are doubtful.

Fans got their first taste of his talent in the FanJam intrasquad scrimmage Sunday afternoon when he scored 10 points to lead the reserves to a 33-all tie with the starters. That was the first hint Granger might be the rare impact rookie.

"I think I've done OK," Granger said. "You always can do better. I'm still adjusting to the NBA pace, the NBA style of play, how fast it is and different things like that.

"If need be, I definitely think I can play right away. I definitely think I'm ready."

Though the Pacers have a deep frontcourt rotation, it appears room will be made to accommodate Granger, who is smooth both with the ball and without. Offensively, he plays with unusual savvy. Defensively, he displays a bit of a mean streak. Perhaps that's what caught Artest's attention.

"If I am an All-Star, then it will probably be because of Ron because I have to guard him every day in practice," Granger said. "That's a great compliment because Ron's an All-Star and he knows what it takes to get there. If he sees that in me, that's great."

The more Granger plays, the more likely it will become that Artest won't be alone in his opinion

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/camp_granger_051012.html

FiestyFosterFanatic
10-12-2005, 09:40 PM
The unusual thing is not that Granger has performed well, it's the nature of his efforts. He isn't throwing down spectacular dunks or soaring into the rafters for monster rebounds. What he is doing is making what coaches like to call "basketball plays," meaning the right pass at the right time, the right shot for the situation, the proper cut – all of the little things that become routine for a veteran but are often the last mastered by rookies.

----

Sort of like Micheal Curry, he did the little things too!

Bball
10-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Sort of like Micheal Curry, he did the little things too!

:nono:

-Bball

Lord Helmet
10-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Glad to know his injury wasn't major. :)

Pacers#1Fan
10-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Granger is going to be great to watch this season.

Jermaniac
10-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Very good to hear about the injury not being serious, I cant wait to see him play.

Pacers#1Fan
10-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Hopefully he is fully healed for the Oct. 18th game cause I'm gonna be there.

Lord Helmet
10-12-2005, 10:27 PM
I agree, it will be very fun to watch Granger this year.

I can't wait to see him play.

Kaufman
10-12-2005, 10:34 PM
What is his college free throw shooting percentage.

Frank Slade
10-12-2005, 10:42 PM
What is his college free throw shooting percentage.

:console:..... snap out of it !!!

anyway from what I cound find it was around 77%

McClintic Sphere
10-12-2005, 10:44 PM
With Granger, Jax, Ronnie, and Jermaine our primary strength will be our defensive versatility.

BlueNGold
10-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Granger is an interesting player. I watched him at the fan jam and was most impressed with his ability to make a variety of basketball plays. He dunks, passes, shoots, defends, rebounds...all with a very high skill level. Many, many very good, experienced NBA players are not as well rounded.

Kaufman
10-12-2005, 11:02 PM
I was starting to have some optimism, some thought that maybe I had a blooming young FT shooter... but alas I find out, 77...

Back to the drawing boards...

McClintic Sphere
10-12-2005, 11:10 PM
I was starting to have some optimism, some thought that maybe I had a blooming young FT shooter... but alas I find out, 77...

Back to the drawing boards...

You're so correct. We cannot work with 77% Back to the boards of drawing.

Evan_The_Dude
10-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Looks like we're going to see some pretty interesting lineups this season since Artest and Granger both are learning the PF position.

PacerMan
10-13-2005, 12:05 AM
The more this kid develops the shorter the leash on our rabid dog. :)

I"m liking this already!

Shade
10-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Can't wait to see him and Saras on the court. :)

Does anyone else find it quite coincidental that Granger and Saras play the two positions where we have "problematic" players in Artest and Tinsley?

CableKC
10-13-2005, 03:25 AM
If Carlisle wants him to play backup SF and learn the PF spot....I wonder how the minutes will be split up?

Maybe he will be the 3rd PF option behind Bender but ahead of Croshere ( given the situation )?

317Kim
10-13-2005, 06:36 AM
I hope he can play tonight!! :woot: Go Danny!!! :woot: