10-11-2005, 10:47 PM
Who is with me on this?

Suaveness
10-11-2005, 10:49 PM
The entire Pacer population?

scar
Who is with me on this?

I am! Jimmy Hunter is winning me over. Right now, I'd be willing to part with 2 of our 4 point guards to make room for him.

Frank Slade
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blumert/mob.jpg

:nod:

Jermaniac
10-11-2005, 10:50 PM
WE WANT JIMMY

SoupIsGood
10-11-2005, 10:50 PM
I am! Jimmy Hunter is winning me over. Right now, I'd be willing to part with 2 of our 4 point guards to make room for him.

Two of them?

Gill and who? AJ? I wouldn't mind that if we get a decent big man back.

Anthem
10-11-2005, 10:55 PM
We're so stinking loaded at every position, it's hard to think about trades that actually make us better. You're not going to do much better than some of our backups.

indytoad
10-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Ahh, the ineveitable 15th man arguement that comes around every preseason. In reality, it probably won't make much difference either way.

IndyToad
Dreaming of Evan and Chan

Frank Slade
10-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Ahh, the ineveitable 15th man arguement that comes around every preseason. In reality, it probably won't make much difference either way.IndyToad

famous words......
*See 04-05 Pacer season...

burnzone
10-11-2005, 11:02 PM
I am so all for getting rid of Gill, to pick up Hunter, that I think we should take up a collection, to pay Gill's owed salary when he's cut.

I would walk the streets with my hands cupped, if it meant we could get rid of Gill, that's how much I don't like his game and lack of size that gives opposing PG's such a height advantage.

No, seriously, I know one game does not make Snap a superstar, but he does show a lot more promise than Gill. And I know that you can't expect your 3rd string PG to be a stud, and Gill most likely won't have any game winning plays in his hands this year, but damn, he's just not very good.

And I also echo the sentiments of, what the hell did Larry and Rick see in this guy, that warranted a 2 year contract, instead of 1? :whoknows:

GO!!!!!
10-11-2005, 11:05 PM
I'd Prefer Lebron James's Lil Nephew Abdur James... he's in 3rd Grade right now, be he can pass the dimes, or so his gym teacher says...

SoupIsGood
10-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Ahh, the ineveitable 15th man arguement that comes around every preseason. In reality, it probably won't make much difference either way.

IndyToad

If Fred leaves next season, we might be hurting for someone like Snap.

pizza guy
10-11-2005, 11:17 PM
I'll jump on his bandwagon! Yeah for Snap!

indytoad
10-11-2005, 11:19 PM
famous words......
*See 04-05 Pacer season...

*shrugs*

If that happens again this season, there's no way we'll win a championship with or without Snap Hunter, and that's all I'm really concerned with by this point.

If Fred leaves next season, we might be hurting for someone like Snap.

Is Fred even going to have a spot in the rotation this season?

IndyToad
Sentences them to death

SoupIsGood
10-11-2005, 11:22 PM
*shrugs*

If that happens again this season, there's no way we'll win a championship with or without Snap Hunter, and that's all I'm really concerned with by this point.

Is Fred even going to have a spot in the rotation this season?

IndyToad
Sentences them to death

Fred should be the back-up 2. I consider that in the rotation...

BlueNGold
10-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Who is with me on this?
I could not be more with you on this. Will anyone just take his contract from us?

indygeezer
10-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Didn't see the game so I have no basis for making a statement, BUT, SLick seemed convinced the guy deserves a real close look.

As for Eddie....???? What's to say, he's a 4th PG.

Anthem
10-11-2005, 11:41 PM
As for Eddie....???? What's to say, he's a 4th PG.

Fifth. Snap's a combo guard.

Sixth, actually. I'd take Freddy first.

Bball
10-11-2005, 11:45 PM
We can't take Snap as the last player... that is reserved for a 7' white guy that will never play. I'm not sure why he has to be white and maybe it's just always worked out that way, but he has to be 7' and barely even able see mop up duty.

-Bball

SoupIsGood
10-11-2005, 11:47 PM
We can't take Snap as the last player... that is reserved for a 7' white guy that will never play. I'm not sure why he has to be white and maybe it's just always worked out that way, but he has to be 7' and barely even able see mop up duty.

-Bball

Yeh, I figure that will be Smaki, although he's not quite 7 ft. Snap's best shot at making the team is either the front office getting over their big doof obsession, or them moving Gill, who has no real spot on the team, to create room for him.

Pacers#1Fan
10-11-2005, 11:49 PM
I'm with you. GET SNAP.

Anthem
10-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Well, the fact that our entire frontline is injured sure helped Samaki.

Of course, if we could trade a player, we could pick up both.

Bball
10-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Yeh, I figure that will be Smaki, although he's not quite 7 ft. Snap's best shot at making the team is either the front office getting over their big doof obsession, or them moving Gill, who has no real spot on the team, to create room for him.

Every year we have a player or two in summer camp and/or preseason who show they could play without embarrasing themselves if asked and might even have potential to crack the rotation or at least push some existing players. And every year we let those people go and stick a 7'er at the end of the bench.

Maybe last year taught TPTB a lesson about wasting roster spots on players that they absolutely won't use even under the direst of circumstances.... or maybe the tallest guy left makes the team... again.

-Bball

indygeezer
10-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Do we know for certain that BOTH years of EG's contract are locked in? COuld the 1st year be gauranteed and the 2nd contingent upon making the team???

Pacers#1Fan
10-11-2005, 11:56 PM
I think one of the best parts about the game was JB.

Destined4Greatness
10-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Yes they are both locked in.

And we need to find a way to get Snap and Samaki Walker

Anthem
10-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Do we know for certain that BOTH years of EG's contract are locked in? COuld the 1st year be gauranteed and the 2nd contingent upon making the team???

I've got to think that's wishful thinking. There's no indication that's the case.

Anthem
10-12-2005, 12:10 AM
And we need to find a way to get Snap and Samaki Walker

:shrug: How badly do you want to clear a roster spot?

Would you trade Freddy and Eddie for Lynch? I personally think that's too much. But there's nobody on the team I really want to give up, besides Gill.

Maybe AJ for Marvin Ely, then Croshere, Gill, and an unprotected pick for Lynch and Claxton? I think Nawlins would need more incentives.

Croshere, Gill, and an unprotected pick to Atlanta for Tony Delk?

Will Galen
10-12-2005, 12:33 AM
We're so stinking loaded at every position, it's hard to think about trades that actually make us better. You're not going to do much better than some of our backups.

I agree! I was looking at a trade proposal the other day involving Magorie of New Orleans and I decided I would rather keep Foster and Harrison. I knew we would have to give one of them up.

I right off decided no to trading Harrison because he's a really big guy with potential. Looking at Foster, I noticed that if the minutes were the same the stats would be pretty close. Even up I might consider that trade, but Foster is such a team guy that I probably still wouldn't do it. Then when you consider that Mags would cost us much more than Foster and it would stunt Harrison's growth I decided no way would I do that trade.

PacerMan
10-12-2005, 01:09 AM
Gill is ALREADY gone! We signed Sarunas REMEMBER? Tinsley, Saras, AJ are the THREE. Unless he can beat out AJ it's a pointless discussion.

I am so all for getting rid of Gill, to pick up Hunter, that I think we should take up a collection, to pay Gill's owed salary when he's cut.

I would walk the streets with my hands cupped, if it meant we could get rid of Gill, that's how much I don't like his game and lack of size that gives opposing PG's such a height advantage.

No, seriously, I know one game does not make Snap a superstar, but he does show a lot more promise than Gill. And I know that you can't expect your 3rd string PG to be a stud, and Gill most likely won't have any game winning plays in his hands this year, but damn, he's just not very good.

And I also echo the sentiments of, what the hell did Larry and Rick see in this guy, that warranted a 2 year contract, instead of 1? :whoknows:

Bball
10-12-2005, 01:33 AM
Salary Gurus...

Is Gill playing for the minimum? If he is playing for the minimum and we cut him... if someone else picks him up won't they have to pay him the minimum and won't that release us from our obligation?

-Bball

burnzone
10-12-2005, 01:39 AM
Gill is ALREADY gone! We signed Sarunas REMEMBER? Tinsley, Saras, AJ are the THREE. Unless he can beat out AJ it's a pointless discussion.
Yeah, I remember that we signed Sarunas, but Eddie Gill has a guaranteed contract for this year, so unless Gill is traded, we either have to cut him, or he'll be here on the end of the bench as the #4 PG.

But my post you quoted was written with a tongue-in-cheek mindset, I was just echoing others comments that it would be nice to be able to sign Snap Hunter, rather than have to hang on to Eddie Gill for 1 more year.

I know Eddie won't play at all over JT, Sarunas, and AJ, unless there's an injury, but if there aren't any trades, he will be in street clothes on the end of our bench this season.

Which, since we have so much depth, I guess my comments of signing Snap, and getting rid of Eddie would be moot as well, since he'd never sniff any playing time, but that's why message boards are nice, to be able to discuss hypothetical situations with others.

SoupIsGood
10-12-2005, 01:44 AM
Salary Gurus...

Is Gill playing for the minimum? If he is playing for the minimum and we cut him... if someone else picks him up won't they have to pay him the minimum and won't that release us from our obligation?

-Bball

Counting on Zeke picking up our leftovers again? ;)

burnzone
10-12-2005, 01:48 AM
Salary Gurus...

-Bball
I believe Gill is owed $870,546 for this season, and I'm not sure what the exact amount is on the veterans minimum this year, but it's a little under that.

I think your idea is correct about if someone picks him up, and pays him the same, we shouldn't owe him anything, but I'll post a paragraph on NBA Salary Cap FAQ, and see if it helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do released players count against the cap?

Released (waived) players with guaranteed contracts continue to be included in the team salary. Players whose contracts are not guaranteed, including training camp invitees who do not make the opening day roster, are included in team salary in the amount they made while they were with the team.

If another team signs a released player who had a guaranteed contract (as long as the player has cleared waivers -- see question number 53 (http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#53) ), the player's original team is allowed to reduce the amount of money they still owe the player (and lower their team salary) by a commensurate amount (this is called the right of set-off).

This is true if the player signs with any professional team -- it doesn't even have to be an NBA team. The amount the original team gets to set off is limited to one-half the difference between the player's new salary and the minimum salary for a one-year veteran (if the player is a rookie, then the rookie minimum is used instead).

For example, suppose a fifth-year player is waived during the 2003 offseason, with one guaranteed season remaining on his contract. If this player signs a $1 million contract with another NBA team for the 03-04 season, his original team gets to set off $1 million minus $563,679 (the minimum for a one-year veteran in 03-04), divided by two, or $218,160.50.

If this player had a $5 million salary with his prior team, then his prior team would be responsible for the remaining $4,781,839.50. Note that between his prior team and new team the player will earn a combined $5,781,839.50, which was more than he made prior to being waived.

CableKC
10-12-2005, 02:52 AM
Is Snap a PG or SG?

If he is picked as the 15th man....I predict that Freddie will be traded by the deadline...this season. Doing this would free up space for Sarunas to be the primary backup SG and shifting either AJ to the primary backup PG with Snap backing either the 1 or 2 spot.

Eindar
10-12-2005, 06:11 AM
If we kept snap, or found a way to keep him and Samaki Walker, couldn't we send Snap down to the NBDL to get some playing time?

317Kim
10-12-2005, 06:29 AM
I really wanna sign Snap but if we gotta trade Fred ta keep him ..... :hmm:

naptownmenace
10-12-2005, 01:47 PM
The Pacers could pursue a similar trade like the one they did with JJ. They should contact the Lakers and see if they can trade Gill for a future 2nd round pick. They are really hurting for a PG right now.