PDA

View Full Version : Stoudamire out 4 months

Frank Slade
10-11-2005, 02:06 PM
See Pacer Fans ... it could always be worse... (knock on laminated wood)

Amare out four months
Suns star has microfracture procedure on left knee
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 11, 2005
advertisement

The Suns received devastating news this morning regarding their All-Star big man.

Suns star Amaré Stoudemire’s arthroscopic surgery evolved into a microfracture procedure on his left knee this morning, according to his manager.

Team physician and orthopedic surgeon Thomas Carter found Stoudemire’s cartilage damage to be more severe than anticipated. Stoudermire’s manager, Rodney Rice, said the power forward is expected be out for four months because of the surgery.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...s/1011suns.html

Jose Slaughter
10-11-2005, 02:08 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/37522/20051011/amare_out_four_months/

Amare out four months

Suns star has microfracture procedure on left knee

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 11, 2005

The Suns received devastating news this morning regarding their All-Star big man.

Suns star Amaré Stoudemire’s arthroscopic surgery evolved into a microfracture procedure on his left knee this morning, according to his manager.

Team physician and orthopedic surgeon Thomas Carter found Stoudemire’s cartilage damage to be more severe than anticipated. Stoudermire’s manager, Rodney Rice, said the power forward is expected be out for four months because of the surgery.

“It was better to do the microfracture now instead of chancing that the lesion would grow, which might affect Amaré down the road,” said Rice, who was in the room during this morning’s scope. “It was best to do the procedure now.”

Suns fans remember how microfracture surgery greatly changed the game of Penny Hardaway but Rice said Stoudemire should not be as adversely affected because he is having the operation at a younger age and at a time when the lesion is smaller. During a microfracture, holes are drilled into the bone. The cells then come up with the blood through the holes and form into cartilage.

“He’s got a lot of things in his favor to come back in a strong way,” Rice said.

Frank Slade
10-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Stoudemire out four months after surgeryESPN.com news services

PHOENIX -- The Phoenix Suns will be without All-Star forward Amare Stoudemire for about four months after he underwent microfracture surgery to repair damage to his injured left knee on Tuesday.

http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/3607.jpg

The injury turned out to be far worse than the Suns had hoped when they announced on Monday that team doctor Thomas Carter would perform what was termed "diagnostic" surgery.

"It was better to do the microfracture now instead of chancing that the lesion would grow, which might affect Amare down the road," Rodney Rice, Stoudemire's manager, told the Arizona Republic. "It was best to do the procedure now."

Stoudemire, who turns 23 next month, signed a five-year, $73 million contract extension last week, the maximum allowed under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement with the players union.

In a news release, the Suns said Carter repaired a joint surface defect roughly one centimeter in diameter on the inside of his left knee.

"The surgery went well and other than the defect that we treated today, Amare's knee is remarkably and structurally healthy," Carter said in the statement released by the team. "Given Amare's age and the nominal size of the location of the defect, I am confident the microfracture procedure performed will allow a healthy and normal return to action."

Considered the cornerstone of the franchise, Stoudemire has improved each year and was a main component of a team that won a league-best 62 games last season.

The 6-foot-10, 245-pound forward was fifth in the NBA in scoring at 26 points per game last season, his third in the league. He averaged 30 points in the playoffs, 37 in the Western Conference finals against Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs.

Stoudemire's loss will leave the Suns with a vastly different team through most of the regular season. The only starters from last season's team will be the NBA's most valuable player, Steve Nash, and all-star Shawn Marion.

Stoudemire had been bothered by soreness in the knee for several months. He had worked out last week in training camp, but sat out the team's scrimmage and final practice to have the knee examined by three doctors.

The arthroscopic operation found the cartilage damage in Stoudemire's left knee to be more severe than anticipated, the Arizona Republic reported.

Suns team physician Tom Carter treated a joint surface defect, roughly 1 centimeter in diameter on the medial (inside) side of the left knee.

"The surgery went well and other than the defect that we treated today, Amaré's knee is remarkably and structurally healthy," Carter said. "Given Amare's age [22], and the nominal size and location of the defect, I am confident the microfracture procedure performed will allow a healthy and normal return to action."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2187484

Slick Pinkham
10-11-2005, 02:13 PM
:cry:

(from a fantasy league perspective)

Also as a fan of basketball. That is a serious operation and I hope it comes out more like Kidd's than Webber's or (gulp) Penny Hardaway's.

He is fun to watch, even if he were not on my keeper league team.

Skaut_Ech
10-11-2005, 02:26 PM
From a fantasy league perspective, I don't know how to feel about it, having Marion.

The Suns already suck at big man depth as it is. That is going to screw them. Now Marion is probably going to play out of position...again. And here they didn't have any draft picks this year. Well they did, but I can't remember what happened to them. One of them essentially went to NY for Kurt Thomas. They traded their second pick for cash (Is that right?) Anyone remember what was going on with them? I think it was something kinda convoluted. As it is, I think the guy they traded away for cash was a 7 foot PF/C.

Man, hindsight truly is 20/20. Could have been a blessing in disuise. They could have thrown the rookie into some major early season minutes for some grteat seasoning, then Amare would have been back. Thanks for all this roster fiscal gymnastics, they may have screwed themselves a bit.

I personally think Phoenix was an abberation last year. This will just help hasten their slide back to being an average team.

(Wonder what future picks they have in their war chest?)

Will Galen
10-11-2005, 02:28 PM
I feel sorry for everyone involved. I remember back when the Pacers lost Steve Stepanvich, and Clark Kellogg, in a short period of time. Hopefully this won't be a career ending injury like theirs were!

If Marion has to go back to PF like Skaut surmises then it could open up more time for JJ.

travmil
10-11-2005, 02:44 PM
It's not like the Suns are gonna suck all of a sudden. They just went from being second best in the West to fourth. Then when they get Amare back in Mid January, he'll still have around half a season to get into gear for the playoffs. They'll be even more dangerous because they'll receive a lower seed because of this. It does suck for Amare though, the guy is one of my favorite non Pacers in the NBA.

Unclebuck
10-11-2005, 02:50 PM
I think the Suns drop a lot further than 4th in the west. They only have 2 starters back from last season. They are more like 7th or 8th

travmil
10-11-2005, 02:52 PM
I think the Suns drop a lot further than 4th in the west. They only have 2 starters back from last season. They are more like 7th or 8th

And at the start of last season where would you have ranked them? I would have said 7th or 8th then.

Frank Slade
10-11-2005, 03:06 PM
And at the start of last season where would you have ranked them? I would have said 7th or 8th then.

Correct, but then we also saw what they were able or unable to do in the playoffs due to lack of experience and with a healthy Stoudamire.
Last year they were one of the most explosive and athletic teams in the league but they have done a minor overhaul since last season , this team is certainly not the same as last year's for better or worse.

NorCal_Pacerfan
10-11-2005, 03:09 PM
This is a major blow for AS. JJ will get more time because of this. The Suns will be setting for a while...

Stryder
10-11-2005, 03:21 PM
I don't get where they came up with the four month prediction for this.

You don't just "come back" from a microfracture operation, let alone in four months.

Typically, guys have a 50/50 shot of even being 90% of the player they used to be. And it takes them a couple years to be lucky to get to that point.

Excellent post. Kudos. Very, very true.

Lord Helmet
10-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Wow. :( Hopefully, he'll be ok.

naptownmenace
10-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Kurt Thomas will help them out a lot but this is a huge blow to their team.

317Kim
10-11-2005, 04:50 PM
sucks for the Suns...hope he's gonna be alright...

GO!!!!!
10-11-2005, 05:28 PM
First Major Injury of 05/06

Sucks as I don't mind watching the Man-Child play....

May he be back soon

Kegboy
10-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Well, that cuts it. The top 3 records in the West will be from Texas.

Frank Slade
10-11-2005, 06:22 PM

Right on

The funny thing is for the Western Division

7 of the 15 teams are from Two States

Southwest should really be called the Texas Division
Pacific Should really be called the Cali Division..

shags
10-11-2005, 06:31 PM

I disagree. The Nuggets are as good or better than the Rockets or Mavericks. Kings will be in there too.

This is devastating news for the NBA. Amare was one of the bright young stars, and he may never be the same.

Naptown Seth
10-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Suns will be pathetic this year. Marion is a fantasy stat padder, nothing more. The MVP's lost two of his top-3 favorite targets. Wow. I'm expecting 41-45 wins tops. And by the way, 4 months doesnt mean mid-January. 4 months means mid-Febuary, probably right after the All-Star game. Thats 50+ games into the season.