View Full Version : Trade of Paul Pierce for Magette being discussed

Unclebuck
10-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Not sure how reliable this source is.

http://probasketballnews.com/

Sources: Pierce-for-Maggette deal in works

By Sam Amico

Oct. 10, 2005

The Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Clippers have been discussing a trade that would send Celtics swingman Paul Pierce to the Clippers for swingman Corey Maggette, sources told ProBasketballNews.com late Sunday.

Other players are also said to be involved.

“They have been working on a deal for the majority of the summer, and it appears the talk is heating up,” a high-ranking Eastern Conference official said. “There’s no doubt the Clippers have been dangling Maggette, and Boston seems pretty tempted.”

Later, a Western Conference general manager responded to an e-mail from PBN.com that asked if he was aware of the possible deal.

“I don’t know specifics, but I do know the Celtics are listening to offers for Pierce,” the GM wrote. “I know it because they hinted about (trading Pierce) to us in July. .. (Other GMs) I’ve spoken with in recent weeks have told me the Celtics really like Maggette.”

Members of the Celtics and Clippers front offices did not respond to e-mails and phone calls seeking comment as of Sunday at midnight Eastern.

This is the second time in the past two months at least one source has told PBN.com that Boston was trying to deal Pierce to the Clippers. In August, an Eastern Conference scout said Celtics coach Doc Rivers “desperately wants Pierce out, but he and (Celtics GM Danny) Ainge seem to be at odds” over the matter. The source added that the Celtics were talking to the Clippers, but did not mention Maggette.

Meanwhile, the New York Post reported Sunday that the Clippers are entertaining offers for Maggette and forward Chris Wilcox.

When the Eastern Conference source was asked if he knew any more details of the discussions between Boston and L.A., he told PBN.com, “No. All I know is a couple of guys I trust around the league have told me about it, and that Pierce and Maggette are the main pieces.”

The Western Conference GM added, “… Obviously it is something that would have to involve more than Pierce and Maggette. I don’t usually read the Post, and from what I understand, it has a questionable reputation when it comes to NBA trades. But it would not surprise me if Wilcox was involved in the deal.”

Both sources said they felt a trade between the teams was “probable” -- although the Eastern Conference source said, “Don’t expect either team to admit it, and these things can indeed fall through. But they have been talking. Otherwise, it would mean a lot of people who I have never known to lie to me are suddenly lying.”

Pierce, 27, played in all 82 games last season and averaged 21.6 points, 6.6 rebounds and 4.2 assists for the Celtics -- who won the Atlantic Division before losing in the first round of the playoffs to Indiana. Pierce is entering his eighth year in the league, all in Boston.

Maggette, 25, averaged 22.2 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.4 assists in 66 games last season. The Clippers finished 37-45 and failed to make the playoffs.

Jermaniac
10-10-2005, 11:31 AM
lol, everytime some player is placed on the trade block he is traded for Paul Pierce.

naptownmenace
10-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Actually, this would be a great trade for both teams and so far this is the most realistic trade offer for Pierce I've seen.

Pierce is better than Magette overall but if the Clips through in Wilcox too... I don't see how the Celts could pass that up.

The thought of Pierce and Elton Brand on the same team is very intriguing.

Unclebuck
10-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Anyone find it strange that a "western conference GM" is responding to e-mails from the media and confirming trade discusions. I'm not questioning that it happened, it just seems strange

Will Galen
10-10-2005, 11:48 AM
I like both Brand and Pierce. Magette wants to be the man, there isn't a shot he doesn't like. I would like this trade also for both teams. Especially LA. I would love to see the Clippers finish ahead of the Lakers again and I think this trade would do it.

Pacesetter
10-10-2005, 11:59 AM
I wonder if Danny Ainge is in that deal? :D

CableKC
10-10-2005, 01:32 PM
On a talent level....a Pierce for Maggette deal seems fair....both are all-star level player. The Celtics could certainly do far worse for a deal involving Pierce.

DrBadd01
10-10-2005, 01:47 PM
:lurk: waits for resident :clippers: fan response :lurk:

naptownmenace
10-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Anyone find it strange that a "western conference GM" is responding to e-mails from the media and confirming trade discusions. I'm not questioning that it happened, it just seems strange

Sounds like Mark Cuban to me. He's been known to respond to emails from time-to-time.

mmpfm1
10-10-2005, 08:43 PM
That puts Magette and Ricky davis on the same team. They might be the biggest ball hogs of all time.

Pacers#1Fan
10-10-2005, 09:19 PM
:rolleyes: I wonder how many times Pierce has actually gotten close to being traded?

Roy Munson
10-10-2005, 11:33 PM
That puts Magette and Ricky davis on the same team. They might be the biggest ball hogs of all time.

Pierce is at least as big a ballhog as Magette.

Will Galen
10-11-2005, 12:12 AM
Pierce is at least as big a ballhog as Magette.

Pierce isn't a ballhog, he's Boston's go to guy. Brand is the Clippers go to guy, but Magette wants to be.

ShadowKat
10-11-2005, 04:30 AM
:lurk: waits for resident :clippers: fan response :lurk:

Present!

Actually...I can't say as I have many complaints about this idea. I've nothing against Pierce or the :celtics:; and while the Clips may be giving up a little youth in the deal, it's not a huge amount. I'll reserve judgement until I see more about the attitudes involved.

I don't like the idea of having "a go-to guy", though; I much prefer to take Sun Tzu's approach. To wit:

If I determine the enemy's disposition of forces while I have no perceptible form, I can concentrate my forces while the enemy is fragmented. The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless: if it is formless, then even the deepest spy cannot discern it nor the wise make plans against it."
-- Sun Tzu,
The Art of War

Arcadian
10-11-2005, 04:34 AM
I don't know why a team that wouldn't be a contender with Pierce would give up young talent for him. Brand plus Pierce equals a first round exit in the West and that is optimistic.

Pacers#1Fan
10-11-2005, 08:09 AM
I don't put to much stock into this.

naptownmenace
10-11-2005, 10:37 AM
I don't know why a team that wouldn't be a contender with Pierce would give up young talent for him. Brand plus Pierce equals a first round exit in the West and that is optimistic.

At least they'd be IN the playoffs for a change!

Roy Munson
10-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Pierce isn't a ballhog, he's Boston's go to guy. Brand is the Clippers go to guy, but Magette wants to be.

I guess that brilliant analysis explains why you run an NBA frranchise. Oh wait, you're not Danny Ainge. Excuse me, my mistake.