PDA

View Full Version : IndyStar article: Harrison joins list of injured....

burnzone
10-09-2005, 08:29 AM
Harrison joins list of injured....Undiagnosed problem near ribs leaves center position slim

By Mike Wells
<script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write( ''+'mike.wells'+'@'+'indystar.com'+' (http://+)'); //--> </script>mike.wells@indystar.com

Scot Pollard likely would be the Indiana Pacers' starting center if the season opened today.

David Harrison, like Jeff Foster, is walking wounded. Harrison is dealing with a pain on his right side, near his ribs, that is limiting him to non-contact drills in practice.

"I went to the doctor, but they don't know what it is," Harrison said Saturday. "I wish I knew what's wrong with me."

Harrison said he first felt the pain several weeks ago, but it intensified recently. He was given medication by the doctor.

"I tried to push through the pain as much as I could, but I couldn't do it anymore," Harrison said. "They're keeping me away from contact stuff and I'm not doing much running. I'm only trying to do machine stuff as far as working out goes. I'm watching and learning from the sidelines, trying to take notes. I'll be back out there when it goes away."

Foster is recovering from off-season arthroscopic hip surgery.
The Pacers play their first preseason game Tuesday at New Jersey. Jermaine O'Neal will likely play some center if Harrison and Foster aren't ready.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monitoring the calls

Last season the Pacers struggled to play through what they thought were questionable calls.
Players often stayed down court questioning officials rather than getting back on defense.
That's one reason officials have been used at drills the past couple of days.

"We've had a couple of team conversations about missed calls and how we need to play through it," O'Neal said. "I think coach Rick Carlisle is doing a great job of putting referees in practice situations so we can get a feel on how we're going to respond."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Making strides

Rookie Danny Granger says the left knee injury that kept him out of summer league is fine.
His biggest challenge is adjusting to the NBA style of play.

"The speed of the game is different (from college) and it's a lot more physical," Granger said. "Everybody is so much stronger."

Several Pacers have raved about Granger in the first week of camp. He already has been compared to Scottie Pippen, who won six NBA titles with the Chicago Bulls.

Granger, whose primary position is small forward, has been working with the first and second units in practice, which is an indication he might have a chance to crack the starting lineup. Carlisle said Friday he might bring Ron Artest off the bench.

"He's very solid for a rookie," Carlisle said.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.

Copyright 2005 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well *****, that's all we need to hear 2 days before the preseason opener, hopefully it's nothing serious.

If anything, it gives Danny more minutes early in the preseason if we go with JO at C, and Ron at PF.

Also gives us a chance to see which Pollard is going to show up this year, and maybe see Bender a little more, with JO at center.

Unclebuck
10-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Every team has injuries in the preseason. it always happens.

Pacers#1Fan
10-09-2005, 09:00 AM
I was hoping to see Harrison during the FanJam today. HHHHHHHHHHHHHH........................... damn it.

317Kim
10-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Yeah! I was looking forward to seeing him too!!!! Plus having Scot start...ehh..I'm not looking forward to that much.

We better not tell Soup cuz that's most of the reason why he wanted to go ta Fan Jam...

grace
10-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Yes, there are always injuries in the preseason, but considering they can't figure out what the hell is wrong with him it has me worried.

317Kim
10-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Yeah that's true. Unidentified injuries... :tongue:

SoupIsGood
10-09-2005, 01:59 PM
He probably got infected from all those stupid alien shows debuting nowadays. That is an extra terrestrial trying to come out his side. :borg:

SoupIsGood
10-09-2005, 02:00 PM
We better not tell Soup cuz that's most of the reason why he wanted to go ta Fan Jam...

Yeah I don't feel quite as bad about missing it now.

Lord Helmet
10-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Well, please for the love of God, not............

2004-2005: Part 2

"A new brand of suffering"

Bball
10-09-2005, 02:22 PM

Does every team also have articles proclaiming their good health just days before they start dribbling out the injury reports?

This isn't a new injury... just the first time we've been let in on it being a little more than 'nothing to worry about or deal with'.

IIRC this pain was mentioned in the other article and brushed aside while telling us how great he was doing with his knee and workout regimen.

How many days until the first leak of Bender's latest setback?

-Bball

Lord Helmet
10-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Does every team also have articles proclaiming their good health just days before they start dribbling out the injury reports?

This isn't a new injury... just the first time we've been let in on it being a little more than 'nothing to worry about or deal with'.

IIRC this pain was mentioned in the other article and brushed aside while telling us how great he was doing with his knee and workout regimen.

-Bball
:suicide:

Bball
10-09-2005, 02:26 PM

I'd feel better about things if they would tell us this stuff up front rather than a puff piece that either the Star and/or the team know is not all of the story.

-Bball

Deadshot
10-09-2005, 03:46 PM
So could this make Samaki Walker a winner?

Anthem
10-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Should have kept that upper-body fat, David. It's protective.

NorCal_Pacerfan
10-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Are we going to regret losing DD once again?

SoupIsGood
10-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Sheesh guys, it's just a little pain in his side. I'm sure the little bugger will wiggle it's way out of there in a few days.

Bball
10-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Are we going to regret losing DD once again?

My feeling is "yes". Of course if you put it in monetary terms and resource allocation then that is a different question.

IMHO, Detroit wanted DD as much, if not moreso, to keep him off the Pacers rather than for their own use or needs.

-Bball

SoupIsGood
10-09-2005, 06:01 PM
We're always going to miss the productive DD, however that DD only lasts for a about 20 games nowadays.

317Kim
10-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Yeah I don't feel quite as bad about missing it now.

:) thats good. I missed it too...:rolleyes:

317Kim
10-09-2005, 06:04 PM
We're always going to miss the productive DD, however that DD only lasts for a about 20 games nowadays.

:nod: Wait til March (his bday) he'll last 13 then.

Bball
10-09-2005, 06:52 PM

But, theoretically, the Pacers wouldn't have been asking DD to be Superman and give them lots of minutes in lots of games. So it is debatable whether he'd be used up after "20 games" or even after a full season.

And if you did see him slowing, you'd have the ability to adjust his minutes via the Pacers having a more 'normal' roster this year (as opposed to last)... plus use of the new more liberal 'inactive list'.

Of course this is all true for the Pistons now... except starting isn't really in the equation with the Pistons.

-Bball

SoupIsGood
10-09-2005, 07:09 PM
But, theoretically, the Pacers wouldn't have been asking DD to be Superman and give them lots of minutes in lots of games. So it is debatable whether he'd be used up after "20 games" or even after a full season.

And if you did see him slowing, you'd have the ability to adjust his minutes via the Pacers having a more 'normal' roster this year (as opposed to last)... plus use of the new more liberal 'inactive list'.

Of course this is all true for the Pistons now... except starting isn't really in the equation with the Pistons.

-Bball

Well if he had been playing really limited minutes, then I don't see how we are really going to miss him. 10-14 less minutes of DD isn't going to break us.

Frank Slade
10-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Does this mean Samaki Walker is our starter at the beginning of the season
:unimpress:

Anthem
10-09-2005, 07:48 PM
We've still got a ways to go in the preseason.

Kegboy
10-09-2005, 08:30 PM
So could this make Samaki Walker a winner?

God I hope not. We let injuries influence our decision last year, and look where it got us.

Bball
10-09-2005, 08:40 PM
Well if he had been playing really limited minutes, then I don't see how we are really going to miss him. 10-14 less minutes of DD isn't going to break us.

Ahhh but... For short spells he could play more as we go thru injury problems on the front line. And from game to game he could be available for more minutes against certain teams where we need more of a physical precence... And lastly, in any one game here and there he could spell a player in foul trouble.

His amount of use could be situational. Last season the situation was needed him for lots of minutes because we had little where else to turn.

But, as I stated in the first part of this discussion, there were monetary issues at play as well. It's for another debate as to how much 'value' at the cash register there is in what Dale could be bring as a player or insurance policy and how that plays out with the overall financial outlay of the team and where they've chosen to spend their money and draw their lines.

-Bball

SoupIsGood
10-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Ahhh but... For short spells he could play more as we go thru injury problems on the front line. And from game to game he could be available for more minutes against certain teams where we need more of a physical precence... And lastly, in any one game here and there he could spell a player in foul trouble.

That doesn't sound like someone we would really regret losing. That is a Pollard-esque role.

Bball
10-09-2005, 10:41 PM
That doesn't sound like someone we would really regret losing. That is a Pollard-esque role.

Yes... but #2...

Dale is a physical player (which I think we need) and historically less fragile than Pollard. You can't really count on Pollard to be available each and every game... at least that is how it played out last year.

-Bball

Pacers#1Fan
10-09-2005, 11:20 PM
I was probably one of the biggest Pollard haters that you could find but know I am begining to think he is going to be more important then we all expect this season. Especially when we see the Heat.

Anthem
10-09-2005, 11:29 PM
Yes... but #2...

Dale is a physical player (which I think we need) and historically less fragile than Pollard. You can't really count on Pollard to be available each and every game... at least that is how it played out last year.

Pollard was available for more games than we played him in.

Bball
10-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Pollard was available for more games than we played him in.

That is true but he was also unavailable for several when we did need to use him if possible (when we were down to barely more than a starting five and a couple of ushers from the stands suited up... or something about like that).

-Bball

Anthem
10-10-2005, 01:27 AM
That is true but he was also unavailable for several when we did need to use him if possible (when we were down to barely more than a starting five and a couple of ushers from the stands suited up... or something about like that).

-Bball

Right, so because he was unavailable in an 8-game stretch when nobody else was available either, he's "fragile."

The man was healthy most of the season, just not the time we needed him. Nothing says that won't happen to Dale.

Bball
10-10-2005, 02:04 AM
Right, so because he was unavailable in an 8-game stretch when nobody else was available either, he's "fragile."

When we did use him his back problem flared up. It wasn't just an 8 game stretch. I don't know that he ever did get 'over it' as much as he simply dealt with it later on. I know it was not only an 8 game stretch where his back was an issue.

I don't know where his back was at by the end of the year. That said, for whatever reason the coaching staff preferred to use Dale over Pollard which pretty much invalidates your overall point doesn't it?

-Bball

8.9_seconds
10-10-2005, 02:25 AM
How much Longer will Foster Be out?

I think that it's a good opportunity for Pollard, I don't know why, but I've always had a soft spot for him. Maybe it's because he'll try to play through alot, I respect that.

I'm sure that David will be fine soon. I'm sure that he's probably really frustrated, unidentified injuries are the worst. I just hope that he doesn't go with my philosophy, 'if they can't find it, there's nothing wrong with me', in my experience, that doesn't work out that well.Hopefully this just makes him more eager to play.

I hope Hulk gets better, but when the regular season starts Rollin, I'd really like to see Jeff in there manning center.

MagicRat
10-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Hulk also warmed up and he looked fine.

As the buzzer sounded to end warmups he threw in a monster two handed jam. Looked pretty healthy to me.

Hopefully he'll be going full contact soon.......