PDA

View Full Version : FORUM UPGRADE

MagicRat
10-04-2005, 11:43 PM
That's all great, but why don't my smilies work anymore?

Hicks
10-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Tell us your browser and OS.

Hicks
10-04-2005, 11:57 PM
I just tested the smilies in Firefox and Internet Explorer, and both work for me, btw.

MagicRat
10-05-2005, 12:46 AM
I just tested the smilies in Firefox and Internet Explorer, and both work for me, btw. Actually, right now none of my icons(bold, indent, etc.) or smilies work. Maybe it's just me. I'm using XP and Firefox.

Edit:
Just cleared my cache and things seem to be working.

I guess it was just me.......:blush:

Keep up the good work, gentlemen.......

Hicks
10-05-2005, 12:52 AM
Yeah, clearing the cache seems to fix most issues anyone has had since we upgraded.

317Kim
10-05-2005, 07:31 AM
Thanks! and GREAT JOB!!! :nod:

Doug
10-05-2005, 08:30 AM
I found another feature:

* Doug has to rewrite RoboDoug, again.

I don't suspect it will be too bad, though. The BBS parsing code is isolated from the rest of it. I think I knocked it out in 2-3 evenings last time, and that was "from scratch".

I might not even have to change anything. I'll try to run a test or two tonight.

Hicks
10-05-2005, 11:26 AM
I don't have enough technical knowledge to understand you're problem, but I read the posting "boxes" have been completely re-written, so I imagine that's what you have to re-write for? Sorry you have to do that.

Hicks
10-05-2005, 11:31 AM
You know, this could be an opportunity. For years and years, there have been dedicated community of vBulletin users who have developed mods, hacks, add-ons, extensions, etc. Until now, to use these mods, you had to edit the code in various files that make up the forum.

However, with this new 3.5.0 version, they've worked to develop a "hook/plug-in" system. Meaning you can add modifications without having to edit the files, unless it's a major change to the forum.

Maybe you could write RoboDoug as an actual vBulletin mod/plugin-hook this time? If so, that could actually be used by any forum that would want such a feature, and it could have your name on it. Just a thought.

Doug
10-05-2005, 12:02 PM
You know, this could be an opportunity. For years and years, there have been dedicated community of vBulletin users who have developed mods, hacks, add-ons, extensions, etc. Until now, to use these mods, you had to edit the code in various files that make up the forum.

However, with this new 3.5.0 version, they've worked to develop a "hook/plug-in" system. Meaning you can add modifications without having to edit the files, unless it's a major change to the forum.

Maybe you could write RoboDoug as an actual vBulletin mod/plugin-hook this time? If so, that could actually be used by any forum that would want such a feature, and it could have your name on it. Just a thought.

I'll look at the plug-in system. It might be an alternative.

What RoboDoug does is read the html from the website and parse through it looking for the posts. If the format of the html generated by vBulletin has changed, I'll have to change RoboDoug to correctly identify and parse the posts. That is the most likely thing I will have to change. I suspect my "start a new thread" and "reply to a thread" code will still work.

I was just whining. It probably won't be too hard to do. I need to get back to it anyway, as I haven't started making some of the changes I wanted to.

You'll probably see a few test posts here and there in the next couple of weeks.

Doug
10-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Other that the new redirect code being returned, everything seemed to work.

I think I just need to insert the new season and load the schedule into the DB and everything should pretty much be set.

And probably move the whole thing to a server at work so I don't have to keep that Linux laptop upstairs on 24/7.

And rework RoboDoug's guessing algorithms. Second place just won't do...

Los Angeles
10-06-2005, 02:14 AM
Doug - I didn't regularly contribute to Guess the score, but I have to say that it is easily one of my favorite "features" on PD.

Thanks for your hard work and spectacular contribution.

able
10-06-2005, 04:24 AM
Doug if you want a shell on one the servers to run robo from, be my guest, just send me an email

a

Doug
10-06-2005, 10:40 AM
LA - Thanks. RoboDoug is fun for me, too.

able - Thanks for the offer. That would certainly simplify a couple of things. I think I'll keep him in the office for now - if I implement the genetic algorthims for guessing he's going to consume a lot of CPU during the night evolving.

Anthem
10-06-2005, 11:51 AM
able - Thanks for the offer. That would certainly simplify a couple of things. I think I'll keep him in the office for now - if I implement the genetic algorthims for guessing he's going to consume a lot of CPU during the night evolving.

I'm prepared to blame the coming singularity on you, Doug.

Hicks/able: The new site rocks. It rocks hard. I apologize for my early attitude. The new post edit function is awesome.

able
10-07-2005, 04:59 AM
LA - Thanks. RoboDoug is fun for me, too.

Doug, email me on that, I like to know more as in how much proc or run a test on one of my spare servers if you want.

Jermaniac
10-07-2005, 06:06 PM
You guys need to get some kind of add on that lets people change their usernames. Thats it from me.

Hicks
10-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Not happening; it's getting too confusing as is, let alone if it was free-reign. If this keeps up I'm going to go by the old policy (still in use) of my ol' forum nightly.net. Which means 99% of the time the name stays.

Jermaniac
10-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Why? We are not all dating each other that we have to remmember our names.

sweabs
10-07-2005, 11:00 PM
This is a test.

Testing...because this is a test.

123.:):):)