PDA

View Full Version : Hunter the Punter

BluBlood
09-21-2005, 11:39 AM
By John Oehser - Colts.com

Colts Punter Named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week

INDIANAPOLIS – The Colts played a field-position game to beat the Jacksonville Jaguars this past Sunday. That meant a lot of punter Hunter Smith.

But Smith not only punted a lot against the Jaguars. He punted very well.

Smith, a seven-year NFL veteran from the University of Notre Dame, punted seven times – on seven consecutive possessions – for a 46.1-yard average in the Colts’ 10-3 AFC South victory over Jacksonville Sunday.

For his effort, he was named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week.

Smith, whose seven punts Sunday traveled 323 yards, also had three punts downed inside the Jaguars 10 with no touchbacks. He had three punts of 50-plus yards, including a game-high of 55 yards.

Two of the inside-the-10 punts were more than 50 yards.

Smith is the first Colts punter to win the Special Teams Player of the Week award. Colts kickers have earned it nine times, with current kicker Mike Vanderjagt earning it four times, the last time coming in December of 2003 after a victory at Tennessee.

Colts linebacker Gary Brackett was named the AFC’s Defensive Player of the Week after he had two interceptions in a season-opening victory at Baltimore.

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=3094

obnoxiousmodesty
09-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Congrats Hunter! Well deserved.

Suaveness
09-21-2005, 01:34 PM
So we have a defensive week award and a ST week award, yet no offensive one. How ODD is that...

Frank Slade
09-21-2005, 01:37 PM
So we have a defensive week award and a ST week award, yet no offensive one. How ODD is that...

That will come this Monday :devil:

Lord Helmet
09-21-2005, 05:31 PM
That will come this Monday :devil:
Yes.

:devil:

pizza guy
09-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Hunter is a stud. He changes his type of kick according to the situation. He can get great hang-time. Or great distance. Or great hang-time and distance. Also, he has great placement.

Pacers#1Fan
09-22-2005, 11:01 PM
I wonder if a team has ever had a D player of the week, SP player of the week, and O player of the week in consecutive weeks?

pizza guy
09-22-2005, 11:46 PM
Either Peyton or Marvin get it this week against Cleveland. Peyton's going to finally wake up and post Peyton-esque numbers, and Harrison will have two TDs to go with his 150 yards.

Believe_in_blue
09-23-2005, 01:00 AM
I remember a few years ago we almost lost Hunter. That would have sucked. I really like Hunter but I hope I don't get to see him much this year except holding PAT's.