PDA

View Full Version : Another Draft Clock Option

Jose Slaughter
09-20-2005, 03:23 AM
I sent an e-mail to the big wigs at Sports.ws asking if they could add a couple more time options to our draft clock.

They currently have 3 minutes & 15 minutes but nothing in between. I ask them to add 5 & 10, they sent back an e-mail saying they would but as of now, it isn't there.

I was wondering what your thoughts would be about starting the draft a couple weeks early & setting the clock for either 12 or 24 hours?

We would still be able to complete the draft in plenty of time & you could log in at your own leisure, update your contengency list & go back to your life.

No setting at the screen for 7 hours on a Saturday, just a few minutes here & there

Just a thought.

If the idea gets some positive reaction I'll send out an e-mail & make sure everyone get some imput on the subject.

able
09-20-2005, 05:22 AM
uhh I'd be almost all for it, providing we stick to the lenght per pick, 12 hours sounds good, (for the first say 4 picks at most) then a shorter time-span should be possible I think.

but yeah, I prefer that method a lot seeing as forf instance if I have to rush out for a customer, my draft and season are basically over before it starts :( whereas in this method nothing wouold matter, do the job, get back, update and move on :)

Mourning
09-20-2005, 07:21 AM
I'm not really in favor of that. In the first week of october I will be in Romania without a (dependable) internet connection, so I can't really log in. I wouldn't mind it if it's later, anyhow I personally like to make my picks in one day and seeying directly what is left instead of making a list and then the system chosing the first ranked on that list.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Gyron
09-20-2005, 11:07 AM
I'm good with That Jose, that could make everyonee's life a little easier. Don't have to sit around the computer around the clock on a certain day to get the draft done.

Jose Slaughter
09-20-2005, 11:34 AM
The draw back is I know at least 3 people that will be away traveling during our draft schedule.

I'm thinking it might be a tad too late in the game to be making a last minute switch. It is something I would seriously look at in the future.

MagicRat
09-20-2005, 12:02 PM
I know at least one person who has 3 little kids, and one of the little kids has soccer on Saturdays. That person likes any option that spreads out the draft.....

Hicks
09-20-2005, 12:07 PM
The draw back is I know at least 3 people that will be away traveling during our draft schedule.

I'm thinking it might be a tad too late in the game to be making a last minute switch. It is something I would seriously look at in the future.

Agreed.

Roaming Gnome
09-21-2005, 09:41 PM
Considering Saturdays in October are absolutly dreadful for me because of job/school comitments I would love to have a draft spaced over weeks instead of one day! Too bad that doesnt look feasible. :cry:

Heck, even the 1 hour/pick scenario (like the trial league) wouldn't be a bad deal, maybe?

Jose Slaughter
09-22-2005, 12:32 AM
I joined a league this season & they ran their draft with a 24 hour per pick clock.

It's a 28 team keeper league so we only had a 5 round draft. We started on the 11th & we are waiting on the last 3 picks, 10 days later.

I really think I like it a lot better than the one very long day draft.

There is plenty of time to look for the player you want, trading isn't rushed & best of all, everyone can draft their own team.

It just isn't posssible to get all 24 of us together for one, seven hour stretch.

If we plan the draft out over roughly a three week period, everyone should have plenty of time. I can pretty much assure you that that will be the plan for next season.

able
09-22-2005, 05:24 AM
As one of the idiots with a life outside of bball, and more particularly work, I would LOVE to do it already this year :)

I am sure we can reach some consensus on it and let' not forget, the draft only has to be done when season opens, not when camp opens :D

time is on my(our) side :D

a

I joined a league this season & they ran their draft with a 24 hour per pick clock.

It's a 28 team keeper league so we only had a 5 round draft. We started on the 11th & we are waiting on the last 3 picks, 10 days later.

I really think I like it a lot better than the one very long day draft.

There is plenty of time to look for the player you want, trading isn't rushed & best of all, everyone can draft their own team.

It just isn't posssible to get all 24 of us together for one, seven hour stretch.

If we plan the draft out over roughly a three week period, everyone should have plenty of time. I can pretty much assure you that that will be the plan for next season.

Slick Pinkham
09-22-2005, 08:46 AM
If they give you the 5 minute option, I say we jump all over it and we are done faster. I'd even be in favor of switching it to 3 min after 4 rounds, since most of us use contingency lists at that point anyway.

able
09-22-2005, 09:46 AM
If they give you the 5 minute option, I say we jump all over it and we are done faster. I'd even be in favor of switching it to 3 min after 4 rounds, since most of us use contingency lists at that point anyway.

Calculus seems to be waisted on most :D

5 minutes per pick, with 24 participants = 120 minutes = 2 hours and that is just 1 pick per team.
we have 12 to make, so let's go with the "we are all there and live" scenario:

let's say the first 4 rounds go in 30 % of the alloted time (very fast and everyone there) i.e. we have 4 rounds done in 2 hours and 40 minutes.

3 minutes for the remaining ,(this is where the hassle of trades also comes in) so 50% of that is used:

8 x 3 = 24 * 24 = almost 10 hours so say 5 hours, add those to the 2.4 earlier and in general you will be at the computer for 10 hours straight.

Jose Slaughter
09-22-2005, 11:39 AM
With the contengency list the draft does move a little faster than that.

I'd like to get it down to 5 & a half to 6 hours but that most likely won't happen. It will more than likely be closer to 6 & a half.

We will not be going to the extended draft this year.

I spoke to the 3 guys that have plans during October & there is no way to work that type draft this time.

Mourning will be gone from the 2nd to the 10th.

Kerosene will be out from the 1st to the 15th.

Doug will be away from the 15th to the 21st.

So basicly the first three weeks is a problem.

The date is set on the 22nd & we're gonna have to stick to that & do the best we can.

Next year is a different story.

DisplacedKnick
09-22-2005, 02:05 PM
I've never been able to figure out why the first couple of hours takes so long. For me the last 3-4 when I'm drafting for position is tougher than early when I'm looking for the best player available and can just put up a contingency list.

Everybody talks about trades but when was the last time someone made a trade affecting the first 3 rds?

Jose Slaughter
09-22-2005, 02:28 PM
I agree, there's a lot of talk that delays things but usually thats all.

Slick Pinkham
09-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Calculus seems to be waisted on most :D

in general you will be at the computer for 10 hours straight.

As a former math major, I know the POTENTIAL length of the draft, but...

Some entire rounds will be done in 15 minutes, trust me. Everyone is filling contingency lists so sometimes 10 picks are done in a single second, some poor guy out for lunch takes 5 minutes and gets skipped, and 10 more picks are done in another second.

The first round may take the full 2 hours, the next couple an hour or more each, but the last 8 rounds or so will zoom by fast. No way will the average be anywhere near 50% of their alloted time, more like 5%. In 5 years I don't ever recall it being more than 6-7 hours or so, unless I'm not remembering right.

Jose Slaughter
09-22-2005, 04:35 PM
I've got the drafts from the past years at home, I'll do a little research tonight to see just how long each round of each year has taken.

Mourning
09-23-2005, 07:05 AM
I've never been able to figure out why the first couple of hours takes so long. For me the last 3-4 when I'm drafting for position is tougher than early when I'm looking for the best player available and can just put up a contingency list.

Everybody talks about trades but when was the last time someone made a trade affecting the first 3 rds?

A aggree! From about the 5th/6th rounds on it gets more difficult. I expect the first 2 or 3 rounds to be going pretty fast due to contingency lists and everybody knowing pretty well who they want.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Slick Pinkham
09-23-2005, 10:55 AM
I've always used my contingency lists for position needs late in the draft. If it's the 7th round and I really need a guard, I'll fill up the list with all the best guards available. After the pick is made, I'll clear the list and decide what list to make for the next pick.

Sometimes there are complications like injury risks to consider, so if I end up getting a high risk/high reward pick then I'll be more conservative in setting up the next list for the same position.

DisplacedKnick
09-23-2005, 05:11 PM
I've always used my contingency lists for position needs late in the draft. If it's the 7th round and I really need a guard, I'll fill up the list with all the best guards available. After the pick is made, I'll clear the list and decide what list to make for the next pick.

I've done that and in the late rounds things move so fast that I end up with two identical players where I only need one.

From the 8th rd or so on, my contingency list generally only has one player on it. Early on, it's full.

bmac
09-23-2005, 11:02 PM
I enjoy the intensity of the draft and think that would somewhat diminish when we have 12 hours to make a selection. Then again, I don't have kids to worry about, just a dog to feed.