PDA

View Full Version : Is Freeney the best defender in the NFL?

SoupIsGood
09-18-2005, 11:56 PM
Sean Salisbury on SportsCenter thinks so.

Thoughts?

Diamond Dave
09-19-2005, 12:06 AM
Well in the NFL that is impossible to say as each position has a different job. Unlike in the NBA where each player plays defense primarily the same way.

Without a doubt Freeney is the best D-line man in the NFL. However to say he is a better defender than say Ed Reed is unfair. Freeney obviously being the better pass rusher, but Reed being a far superior pass defender.

You can't really judge on those things, but Dwight has established himself as the best DE without a doubt. And if he can get around the same amount of sacks as last year he could be the NFL Defensive MVP. Peyton will have to have a lesser year though. I don't think the voters will allow the Defensive and Offensive MVP's to be on the same team.

pizza guy
09-19-2005, 12:47 AM
Freeney competes with Julius Peppers of Carolina for best D-lineman. Let's not forget that J. Pep can drop into coverage and intercept passes. He can pull the ball from Mike Vick's hands and outrun everyone to the house. He plays the run amazingly well, as he does vs. the pass. He's certainly worthy of consideration.

Freeney of course, is not asked to drop into coverage. It's the scheme of the defense that the linemen go after the QB. All four of our linemen do that well, Freeney is extraordinary. Double-teams matter not to Dwight. A seven or eight time Pro-Bowl OT matters not to Dwight. Help from the TE or RB matters not. Absolutely nothing will stop him from doing what he does. Nothing.

As far as best defender in the leauge? Ray Lewis, Ed Reed (sick, two one the same team worthy of a vote), even Brian Dawkins for his versatility, and I know I'm forgetting someone who should be mentioned. Each of them perform different tasks, so, it's hard to say who is the best player irregardless of position.

Freeney is the best pass-rusher. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts. The best.

rel
09-19-2005, 01:28 AM
you could easily argue that freeney is, even if he doesnt put up 16 sacks again

his presence makes the Dline one of the best in the league

Kstat
09-19-2005, 01:47 AM
Without a doubt Freeney is the best D-line man in the NFL.

*cough* Shaun Rogers *cough*

compare freeney to other DEs if you must.

Ryan
09-19-2005, 01:58 AM
Richard Seymour?

Suaveness
09-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Oh he is definitely the most disruptive D lineman right now. The man not only sacks people, he gets constant pressure and causes tons of false starts and holdings.

ChicagoJ
09-19-2005, 09:26 AM
I was wondering the same thing yesterday about Troy Polamalu. :shrug: