PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock speaks again...

Suaveness
09-15-2005, 04:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/050915&num=0

By Jason Whitlock
Special to Page 2

<!-- hasAccess this is not a premium story -->
Surely one of the toughest assignments in sports is making sense of the first weekend of the NFL season. There are those among us who will simply swear that it cannot be done. And then there are those who know better -- the select group of men and women exposed to my writings.

Not to brag, but I have quite a reputation for diagnosing NFL madness. Given a weekend to overlook results and second-guess excuses, it becomes rather easy for me to figure out whom and what to believe from Week 1.

Clayton, Salisbury, Mortensen and Jaworski pay handsomely for the information and predictions that I'm about to share for free with you, Page 2 readers. Why are you getting such a bargain? I'm tired of underground success. I'm tired of Clayton and Co. getting the glory for my expertise and refusing to share the spoils.

Week 1 of the season, as it is apt to do, created far more questions than it provided answers for the average football fan. Readers of this column recognize that I'm not the average football fan. As a former elite-level athlete, a man in his youth who protected Jeff George's blind side in high school and opened gaping holes for Bernie Parmalee in college, I have keen insight into America's game.

OK, enough with the hype. Here are 10 facts that can be gleaned from Week 1:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5 rowSpan=2><SPACER type="block" width="5" height="1"></TD><TD width=275>http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/pg2/2005/0915/photo/g_johnson_275.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; LINE-HEIGHT: 13px" width=275>With speedster Derrick Johnson added, KC's defense is much improved.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

10. Kansas City's defense is closer to being fixed than Indianapolis' defense.

Listen, I love the addition of Corey Simon to the middle of Indy's D. Simon, who looked like he swallowed Jerry Ball, is exactly what Tony Dungy's unit needed: a human bowling ball to plug running lanes.

But Indy's near shutout of the Baltimore Ravens has more to do with Brian Billick's continued offensive ineptness than the Colts' unveiling a defense capable of winning in January. Billick might be the worst offensive coach in the history of the NFL. Billick is the man who decided Kyle Boller was a franchise quarterback. If not for Marvin Lewis and Ray Lewis' carrying the Ravens to a Super Bowl title, Billick would be in the unemployment line.

Meanwhile, Kansas City's rebuilt defense showed off its added speed (linebackers Derrick Johnson and Kendrell Bell and corner Patrick Surtain) and a new look (12-15 snaps in a 3-4 scheme) in demolishing the Jets.

9. The Eagles lost to the Falcons because Donovan McNabb refused to run the football.

You can blame McNabb's unwillingness to run on his bruised chest. I don't. McNabb has spent the past two years trying to prove he's a pocket passer, not a mad scrambler. It's a mistake. The evidence of McNabb's error was all over Philly's Monday night loss to the Falcons, who scored 14 points because Michael Vick was effective on several designed running plays.

McNabb threw the ball 45 times. He was credited with one rush, which really wasn't a run. McNabb can run the football damn near as well as Vick; McNabb was the second coming of Steve Young. Had McNabb run the football three or four times, the Eagles wouldn't have settled for two 49-yard field-goal attempts, which David Akers missed. Had McNabb run, the Eagles would've scored at least 17 points, and they'd be 1-0.

If McNabb doesn't use his legs this season, the Eagles won't be playing in a fifth straight NFC Championship Game.

8. Warren Sapp, my favorite NFL player, is officially washed up.

The Oakland Raiders switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 so Sapp could go back inside, where he's most effective. The move didn't help Sapp at all in the season opener against the Patriots. Sapp is 25 pounds overweight and has none of the quickness that once made him as dominant as Joe Greene.

Sapp can now be easily blocked one on one. He's not a threat against the run or the pass.

7. Everyone -- including yours truly -- who suggested the Minnesota Vikings and Daunte Culpepper would be improved by the subtraction of Randy Moss should be beaten.

I feel so stupid. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers do not beat the Vikings if Randy Moss is still wearing purple.

6. The feel-good New Orleans Saints will fade quickly because Aaron Brooks is the most fraudulent QB in the NFL.

Saints fans better enjoy the Week 1 miracle because Brooks will continue to get in the way of the Saints' enjoying consistent success. The Saints have the necessary personnel to field a potent offense -- a decent line, top-flight receivers and a big-play running back.

However, Brooks is the anti-Tom Brady. Brooks makes stupid decisions, has zero leadership ability and isn't particularly tough or poised in the pocket.

5. Miami's Nick Saban may prove to be the best coach in the history of the NFL, but beating the Broncos in his opener didn't say anything about him.

That Denver disaster was all about Mike Shanahan. I take that back. That Denver disaster was all about John Elway. I've long contended that Elway is/was the greatest player to ever play the game. Watching Shanahan unravel as a "mastermind" without Elway further proves my point.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5 rowSpan=2><SPACER type="block" width="5" height="1"></TD><TD width=275>http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/pg2/2005/0915/photo/g_warner_275.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; LINE-HEIGHT: 13px" width=275>Denny Green has learned the truth: Kurt Warner can't play anymore.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Shanahan simply can't coach without Elway. Shanahan's ego isn't out of control. He hasn't changed from his Elway days; he's just the same coach Al Davis fired in Oakland.

4. Kurt Warner stole two league MVP trophies from Marshall Faulk.

I'm not saying Warner wasn't an outstanding player with those great Rams teams. He was. But he was never as important to the Rams as Faulk. I've enjoyed watching Warner disintegrate with the Giants and now the Cardinals.

I'm a huge Dennis Green fan. But I can't figure out why he'd make Warner his starting quarterback. Warner is just too immobile and too erratic after contact to play behind an average offensive line.

3. Speaking of immobile quarterbacks, I don't expect to see Drew Bledsoe leading the Cowboys to a playoff run.

The Cowboys upset the Chargers solely because Marty Schottenheimer forgot to get the football to the game's best running back, LaDainian Tomlinson. L.T. touched the ball twice in the final 10 minutes of Dallas' upset victory.

The Cowboys win six or seven games this season, max.

2. I know this is a column about the NFL, but I have to sneak in one take about college football: Charlie Weis deserves significant praise for Notre Dame's impressive 2-0 start.

Weis' best move at Notre Dame so far was bringing back former Lou Holtz assistant Rick Minter as defensive coordinator.

After leaving Holtz's Notre Dame staff, Minter was head coach at Cincinnati for a decade and then rejoined Holtz at South Carolina after the Cincy athletic director canned Minter for making Bearcats fans believe Cincy could be a top-20 program.

Minter is an awesome football coach, the best defensive mind in college football. If Notre Dame continues to shine this season, some wise athletic director at a BCS school would be wise to hire Minter.

1. Tom Brady is still a better quarterback than Peyton Manning.

Period.

:rolleyes:

BluBlood
09-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Fatlock.

Suaveness
09-15-2005, 06:54 PM
I'm going to laugh when KC's defense gets its *** kicked by someone. Especially Randy Moss. The funny thing in sports, you can't go out and sign a bunch of high name FAs and expect to be great. Kinda like NE. I don't see Washington doing well. Or any other team from other sports.

Lord Helmet
09-15-2005, 07:27 PM
This guy gets on my nerves. How he has this hatred for anything from Indianapolis.

He sees that the Colts D has improved, so what does he do? Make up some stupid crap about how KC's D is better. Just because he's mad that the Colts might be getting better.

Quit being so damn biased.

SoupIsGood
09-15-2005, 07:28 PM
This dude is an idiot.

obnoxiousmodesty
09-15-2005, 07:41 PM
DimWhitlock is whining about the Colts; it must be football season.

indytoad
09-15-2005, 07:44 PM
This guy gets on my nerves. How he has this hatred for anything from Indianapolis.

He sees that the Colts D has improved, so what does he do? Make up some stupid crap about how KC's D is better. Just because he's mad that the Colts might be getting better.

Quit being so damn biased.

How is KC's D being better than the Colts' "stupid crap"? The Jets have ten times the offensive capacity as the Ravens, and KC's D almost shut them out as well. Sounds like they've got a head start to me.

At least no one is trying to contend that Manning is better than Brady.

IndyToad
How's the thing going to work?

Suaveness
09-15-2005, 07:51 PM
How is KC's D being better than the Colts' "stupid crap"? The Jets have ten times the offensive capacity as the Ravens, and KC's D almost shut them out as well. Sounds like they've got a head start to me.

IndyToad

In terms of skills, yes, Manning is better than Brady. Brady gets the perception the he's better because his team has done better than Indy. But Brady is not better than Manning.

And the Jets don't have 10x the capacity of the Ravens. Jets O is almost as bad as the Ravens. I'd say by 2x better. Pennington has no arm strength whatsoever. They have no receivers that are any good. Coles is only soso. And Martin is like 66 years old. I'm sorry, their offense isn't that great.

SoupIsGood
09-15-2005, 08:04 PM
Peyton is a better QB than Brady, the Pats would be completely unbeatable if they had Peyton instead of Brady at QB.

Lord Helmet
09-15-2005, 08:11 PM

IndyToad
Will you ever try to praise any of your teams?

Also, both D's look good. Time will tell who's better.

indytoad
09-15-2005, 08:50 PM
In terms of skills, yes, Manning is better than Brady. Brady gets the perception the he's better because his team has done better than Indy. But Brady is not better than Manning.

And the Jets don't have 10x the capacity of the Ravens. Jets O is almost as bad as the Ravens. I'd say by 2x better. Pennington has no arm strength whatsoever. They have no receivers that are any good. Coles is only soso. And Martin is like 66 years old. I'm sorry, their offense isn't that great.

Manning puts up better stats then Brady, for sure, but Brady just finds a way to win in any and all situations. It's insane. If the quarterbacks had been switched in that last playoffs, Brady may not have won but he surely would have gotten at least one TD, probably more.

And at the very least KC and Indy's D should be looked at equally at this point. See how it looks at the end of the season.

I do agree that the writer seems kinda like a jerk. I hope the arrogant *** thing he was exuding at the beginning was a schtick, otherwise. Bleh. And the Manning/Brady thing at the end seemed like a cheap shot. I'm not sure what that has to do with what happened in week one - neither one particularly outplayed the other. *shrugs*

IndyToad
Five to twelve times a day

Suaveness
09-15-2005, 09:40 PM
Manning puts up better stats then Brady, for sure, but Brady just finds a way to win in any and all situations. It's insane. If the quarterbacks had been switched in that last playoffs, Brady may not have won but he surely would have gotten at least one TD, probably more.

And at the very least KC and Indy's D should be looked at equally at this point. See how it looks at the end of the season.

I do agree that the writer seems kinda like a jerk. I hope the arrogant *** thing he was exuding at the beginning was a schtick, otherwise. Bleh. And the Manning/Brady thing at the end seemed like a cheap shot. I'm not sure what that has to do with what happened in week one - neither one particularly outplayed the other. *shrugs*

IndyToad

Well Whitlock seems to hate the fact he's from Indiana. I don't know why, but whenever he finds the time, he makes a conscious effort to demean the Colts and the Pacers.

Brady is a terrific QB, no question. But why do they win every year? It isn't the offense. They make plays when necessary. They know how to change the momentum. They know how to win. And that defense of theirs is incredibly opportunistic. They just have that knack. Brady is part of that team, so no doubt he is quite the QB. But Manning is just better. If he were on that team, as mentioned, they would be unbelievable. But this is one of those debates that won't ever end until Manning wins a title. Or two.

Since86
09-16-2005, 02:57 PM

IndyToad

Peyton's numbers in last year's playoff game weren't that bad, just everyone else was.

Here's Peyton's stat line.
PASSING ATT CMP YDS SK/YD TD LG IN RT
P.Manning 42 27 238 1/8 0 18 1 69.3

The rating is so low, because of the no tds and the interception. He completed 64.3% of his passes, and his career % is 63.5.

Here's Tom's.
PASSING ATT CMP YDS SK/YD TD LG IN RT
T.Brady 27 18 144 3/29 1 17 0 92.3

That's a 66.7% pass completion.

The difference in that game wasn't the first player behind the center, but the second.

RUSHING ATT YDS AVG LG TD
E.James 14 39 2.8 7 0
P.Manning 1 7 7.0 7 0

Total 15 46 3.1 7 0

RUSHING ATT YDS AVG LG TD
C.Dillon 23 144 6.3 42 0
K.Faulk 11 56 5.1 13 0
T.Brady 4 6 1.5 3 1
D.Branch 1 4 4.0 4 0

Total 39 210 5.4 42 1

NE outrushed them by 146yds.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=230645

So by saying that Brady finds a way to win in all situations, you mean he hands the ball off well or just gets into field goal range, I completely agree with you.

SoupIsGood
09-18-2005, 10:58 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5 rowSpan=2><SPACER height="1" type="block" width="5"></TD><TD width=275>http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/pg2/2005/0915/photo/g_johnson_275.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; LINE-HEIGHT: 13px" width=275>With speedster Derrick Johnson added, KC's defense is much improved.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Listen, I love the addition of Corey Simon to the middle of Indy's D. Simon, who looked like he swallowed Jerry Ball, is exactly what Tony Dungy's unit needed: a human bowling ball to plug running lanes.

But Indy's near shutout of the Baltimore Ravens has more to do with Brian Billick's continued offensive ineptness than the Colts' unveiling a defense capable of winning in January. Billick might be the worst offensive coach in the history of the NFL. Billick is the man who decided Kyle Boller was a franchise quarterback. If not for Marvin Lewis and Ray Lewis' carrying the Ravens to a Super Bowl title, Billick would be in the unemployment line.

Meanwhile, Kansas City's rebuilt defense showed off its added speed (linebackers Derrick Johnson and Kendrell Bell and corner Patrick Surtain) and a new look (12-15 snaps in a 3-4 scheme) in demolishing the Jets.

Well I have to say I'm not convinced.

Pacers#1Fan
09-18-2005, 11:14 PM
This is the first thing that I have ever read from this guy and I already don't like him.

pizza guy
09-19-2005, 12:52 AM
You could try emailing Whitlock, but his screen is usually so covered in pizza sauce at this point in the evening that he couldn't see it.

Hilarious!!!!!

I wonder what he thinks of our defense now?

Suaveness
09-19-2005, 01:16 AM
Frankly I don't care what he thinks of our defense. He can kiss my royal behind.

SoupIsGood
09-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Suaveness
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5 rowSpan=2><SPACER height="1" width="5" type="block"></TD><TD width=275>http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/pg2/2005/0915/photo/g_johnson_275.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; LINE-HEIGHT: 13px" width=275>With speedster Derrick Johnson added, KC's defense is much improved.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

:laugh: :laugh:

grace
09-25-2005, 06:53 PM

My response: Pot, Kettle. Kettle, Pot.

Kegboy's response: Jason Whitlock looks like he swallowed Corey Simon.

Since86
09-27-2005, 03:10 PM
My response: Pot, Kettle. Kettle, Pot.

Kegboy's response: Jason Whitlock looks like he swallowed Corey Simon.

:bump:

I was just wondering what Fatlock has to say about the 30pts KC allowed last night.

The only thing quick about them last night was their ability to run off the field after each touchdown.

Believe_in_blue
09-27-2005, 03:36 PM
They allowed almost twice as many in 1 game as we have allowed in 3.

Peroid.

Aw Heck
10-02-2005, 07:26 PM
:bump: Another stellar performance by the Chiefs today, especially the defense. :laugh:

SoupIsGood
10-02-2005, 07:45 PM
McNabb gave them a fixing today

Frank Slade
10-02-2005, 07:54 PM
"Kansas City's defense is closer to being fixed than Indianapolis' defense."

Kansas City 2 2 0 .500 91 91 Lost 2 1-1 2-1
Indianapolis 4 0 0 1.000 78 26 Won 4 2-0 4-0
Wow how does it feel to be the laughing stock of the league?
Thanks for the laugh....

I did email him here is what I said......

Southside_Pacer
10-05-2005, 01:57 AM
:bump: Another stellar performance by the Chiefs today, especially the defense. :laugh:

I love Trent Green a heck of a lot, but I did giggle a lot thinking about Whitlock's line as McNabb and Owens kept picking apart Kansas City's D.