PDA

View Full Version : Peter King's Monday Morning QB

obnoxiousmodesty
09-12-2005, 12:49 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/09/12/mmqb.week1/index.html

It's a long article. He has a couple of Colts mentions...

i. It's only one game, but the Indianapolis Colts have a chance to be scary good.

8. I think the one guy who really impressed me in the game I covered was Indy defensive tackle Larry Tripplett. Sort of a nondescript former second-rounder, whose playing time figures to get cut into with the signing of Corey Simon. But not so fast. Tripplett knifed through the Baltimore line for seven tackles and two sacks, and his quickness surprised the Ravens. That's because he shed some weight in the offseason -- he's listed at 295 but looks about 285 -- and has become almost Sapp-ish in how he can knife through interior-line traffic. "I wouldn't say we hit a grand slam tonight,'' he told me, "but I think we all have to be happy about how we've come together as a defense. Whatever role Tony [Dungy] wants me to play, I'll play.'' Dungy told me he'll use Tripplett, Simon and another big quick guy, Montae Reagor on all first downs and most second-and-shorts. Tripplett looks as though he can hold the point against big run-blockers and rush with the best of them. Big test for Indy next week, by the way, with Jacksonville coming to town. "I think we're Jacksonville's New England,'' Triplett told me. Meaning: The Jags look at Indy as their measuring stick, the way Indy look at the Patriots as its measuring stick.

Frank Slade
09-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Yeah no doubt every game in a 16 game is big, but Jacksonville game could have alot of implication with a loss or a win down the road. Good tests as well for the indy the first few weeks getting ready for New England. With teams that play stingy defense and love to run the ball .

McClintic Sphere
09-12-2005, 01:47 PM
I always thought Triplett showed some amazing quickness at times in the past. Having Freeney and Simon in there beside you would no doubt help. My God, I knew Corey Simon was big, but he looked like one of the twins from the Guinness book of World Records last night.

Suaveness
09-12-2005, 01:48 PM
That analogy is a bit misleading. I mean, they actually did beat us, while we haven't beaten NE anytime recently.

travmil
09-12-2005, 01:51 PM
That analogy is a bit misleading. I mean, they actually did beat us, while we haven't beaten NE anytime recently.

Thank you for completely missing the point. He means that to win the division, Jax has to come through Indy, in exactly the same way that Indy has to go through NE to win the AFC.

RWB
09-12-2005, 02:02 PM
The most exciting thing is the defense just needed to improve and that has occurred. Manning throws his interceptions when he get's in a panic thinking he HAS to score every time because of the defense. If the defense continues to be consistent then that pressure is taken off Manning and the offense. It's pretty obvious when we eliminate the turnovers we win. Got to give a plug to Edge for holding onto the ball last night as well.

Suaveness
09-12-2005, 02:13 PM
Thank you for completely missing the point. He means that to win the division, Jax has to come through Indy, in exactly the same way that Indy has to go through NE to win the AFC.

Uh, I never missed the point. I was pointing out difference between the examples.

fwpacerfan
09-12-2005, 02:14 PM
This team can definitely be scary good. I've been telling people all preseason that the Colts D is better than advertised. They were underrated last year. Yes they gave up points, but they were on the field a lot. I can remember several times that the offense scored in under 2 minutes and the defense was back in the game. That will catch up to you late in a game.

I was excited about their tackling. They had a couple of plays that they missed tackles but nothing like last year. Last year they were in position to make a play but their technique was bad. Last night it wasn't. You add that to being tired and you get busted plays. It didn't happen last night.

Is it just me or does Corey Simon has the biggest buttocks and thighs in NFL history? If he can draw double teams, Triplett, Freeny and Mathis will have a heyday. This is the 4th year for this defense and it seems that it takes 3-4 years to learn Dungy's defense.

SoupIsGood
09-12-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm going to see how this team looks at least four games into before I get hyped about the defense.

However, it is encouraging that our D looked that nice even without Jackson.

Tripplet looked to be playing at a level slightly above worthless last night for the first time in a long time, I liked that.

And Simon is huge, it really surprised me, that guy is just a hoss.

:goponies:

mmpfm1
09-12-2005, 06:38 PM

We were also missing doss.
And Dallas Clark on offense.

Im ready to see us play against a more balanced offense>

pizza guy
09-13-2005, 01:04 AM
When Jackson returns, the defense gets a little better. Jason David (or 'Scrappy' on the Colts' board) is a pretty good DB, especially with his lack of height. The first interception Brackett had was off of a tipped ball by Scrappy -- he was giving up 8 inches to that reciever, and got up and tipped the ball away. Not bad.

I'm pumped though about this defense. To hold J. Lewis to 48 and the whole team to 77 yards rushing, that's impressive. Marlin brings a little more toughness, and really, skill to the defensive backfield. Simon was great, and can only improve with more time in our defense and with our team. Also, on offense, Stokely was in-and-out last night because of his nursing injury (which seemed to be OK), and Clark was missing. When those two are both back to full strength...wow....scary good is the beginning.

microwave_oven
09-15-2005, 12:25 AM
When Jackson returns, the defense gets a little better. Jason David (or 'Scrappy' on the Colts' board) is a pretty good DB, especially with his lack of height. The first interception Brackett had was off of a tipped ball by Scrappy -- he was giving up 8 inches to that reciever, and got up and tipped the ball away. Not bad.

Harper was the one who tipped the pass, which he suprised me how well he played.

pizza guy
09-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Oh, you're right. David tipped another one. I remember them talking about how he gave up 8 inches to the reciever and still made the play. I'm pretty sure they were talking about Scrappy, there. It was by the sideline whereas Harper's was more in-field.

SoupIsGood
10-02-2005, 08:02 PM
I'm going to see how this team looks at least four games into before I get hyped about the defense.

Tripplet looked to be playing at a level slightly above worthless last night for the first time in a long time, I liked that.

And Simon is huge, it really surprised me, that guy is just a hoss.

Four weeks in, and I am officially hyped about the defense. These guys really lay the wood on people.

Our defensive line has of course been great, but I can't give enough credit to our linebackers and safeties. These guys are playing some great football, and also making me feel stupid, since I had already counted them out before the season.

Also, we've got the continued development of Marlin Jackson, Jefferson hopefully playing soon (how long is he out?), and Simon's quest to get back to game shape to look forward to. :) We could very easily be a much better defense at the end of the season.

fwpacerfan
10-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Four weeks in, and I am officially hyped about the defense. These guys really lay the wood on people.

Our defensive line has of course been great, but I can't give enough credit to our linebackers and safeties. These guys are playing some great football, and also making me feel stupid, since I had already counted them out before the season.

Also, we've got the continued development of Marlin Jackson, Jefferson hopefully playing soon (how long is he out?), and Simon's quest to get back to game shape to look forward to. :) We could very easily be a much better defense at the end of the season.

Not only do they lay the lumber but they also make the tackles. I've seen a lot of teams who hit hard but in doing so they miss tackles. This team does both!

Frank Slade
10-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Yes, they are doing a great job of tackling and wrapping up right away.
Which was certainly not the case last year.

Very encouraging, and scary is that the offense is just starting to get on track and we're facing San Fran one of the worst teams in the leagues in passing defense. :D

fwpacerfan
10-03-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm almost to the point of not wandering when the wheels will fall off. I'm 90% convinced this defense is for real.

I'd like to see the offense put up 30+ for a couple of more weeks to shut up the "experts" (Mike Ditka) who were saying that defenses have figured Manning out.

Believe_in_blue
10-03-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm almost to the point of not wandering when the wheels will fall off. I'm 90% convinced this defense is for real.

I'd like to see the offense put up 30+ for a couple of more weeks to shut up the "experts" (Mike Ditka) who were saying that defenses have figured Manning out.

I was never worried about our offense. In the first 3 games we didn't score alot of points but we took care of the ball and controlled the clock. Against Cleavland we only scored 13 points but the offense was very efficient and Peyton of 12/12 throwing the ball in the second half.

The only thing that I am maybe a little woried about is short yardage and redzone offense. Last week on the Bill Polian show he said that last year we had alot of sucess by staying open and keeping 3 wide recievers in the game, and said that he even would like us to use it more this year in the red zone/short yardage situations. Yesterday we had a first and goal from inside the 10, went to a goaline offense, and Edge got stacked up in the backfield on 3rd down. Next week if we get in those situations I really want us to keep the 3 wide set in there and see if we cant pick it up.

fwpacerfan
10-03-2005, 04:49 PM
I was never worried about our offense. In the first 3 games we didn't score alot of points but we took care of the ball and controlled the clock. Against Cleavland we only scored 13 points but the offense was very efficient and Peyton of 12/12 throwing the ball in the second half.

The only thing that I am maybe a little woried about is short yardage and redzone offense. Last week on the Bill Polian show he said that last year we had alot of sucess by staying open and keeping 3 wide recievers in the game, and said that he even would like us to use it more this year in the red zone/short yardage situations. Yesterday we had a first and goal from inside the 10, went to a goaline offense, and Edge got stacked up in the backfield on 3rd down. Next week if we get in those situations I really want us to keep the 3 wide set in there and see if we cant pick it up.

This team has had problems with short yardage for years now. I would like to see more passes in these situations. The defenses are stacking up against the run. Yesterday was a perfect example - we tried to run 3 times in a row unsuccessfully. I like the 3 WR set - it spreads things out.

pizza guy
10-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Well, usually short yardage isn't such a big problem because the offense is so high-powered. But, putting in Lilja might help, if he can adjust to the blocking and movement.

I'm definetely sold on the defense. The toughest tests are still to come though.