PDA

View Full Version : Things get worse for Green Bay

Natston
09-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Walker injures knee, to undergo MRI on Monday
ESPN.com news service

Brett Favre's No. 1 target reportedly will be shelved for the rest of the season.

Packers receiver Javon Walker injured his right knee in the third quarter against Detroit on Sunday, and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is reporting that Walker will miss the rest of the season.

Javon Walker
Wide Receiver
Green Bay Packers

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC
4 27 0 6.8 9 0

Walker is scheduled to have an MRI on Monday, but team physician Patrick McKenzie told coach Mike Sherman that the wide reciever tore his ACL.

"It was his ACL," Packers coach Mike Sherman said after the Lions won 17-3.

A torn ACL requires reconstructive surgery and anywhere from six to 12 months of rehabilitiation.

"Guys have to step up and replace a very high quality player," Sherman told the Journal Sentinel. "I doubt he'll be back any time in the near future."

With Walker injured, the Journal Sentinel is reporting that Donald Driver will move from split end to flanker, Walker's position, and Robert Ferguson will start at split end.

Walker was hurt when he caught a 55-yard pass -- negated by a pass-interference call against him -- and was tackled by safety Terrence Holt.

As Walker lay on the turf, he grabbed his right knee. After trainers attended to him for a few minutes, he gingerly walked toward the bench. He was later taken to the locker room on a cart, once shaking his head from side to side. He did not return to the game.

Walker, Green Bay's top receiver, had four receptions for 27 yards against Detroit. He extended his streak with a catch to 38 games, including playoffs.

After threatening to hold out of training camp for a new contract, Walker reported. He said the best way to prove his worth wasn't to withhold his services, but to put his talents back on display.

He's due $515,000 this season, the fourth of a five-year deal he signed in 2002 for $7.485 million. The Packers refused his agent's overtures for a hefty pay raise or to shop him around.

Walker was Green Bay's MVP last season and earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl. In his third season, he led the team with 89 receptions for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdown receptions, all career highs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2159192

Stryder
09-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Sucks for him and the Pack.

I know what the pain feels like with a torn ACL, so I bet he was in some pain...

Suaveness
09-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Sucks even more because now he isn't going to get a pay raise from anyone.

Suaveness
09-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Sure he is.

He won't be the first person to come back from an ACL tear.

But whatever money he gets won't come until the year after, after he has had a year to prove that he is the same person he was before the ACL.

Suaveness
09-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Your original statment implied that it would never happen.

He's gonna get paid. His family will be able to eat.

Yeah I meant for the recent future.

Kstat
09-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Yeah I meant for the recent future.

....as opposed to the distant present?

travmil
09-12-2005, 04:14 PM

:laugh:

Suaveness
09-12-2005, 08:09 PM

:-p

Isaac
09-12-2005, 09:10 PM
Is it wrong that I kind of feel bad for Brett and the Pack? :innocent:

SoupIsGood
09-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Is it wrong that I kind of feel bad for Brett and the Pack? :innocent:

Well, it's only human to feel that way..... so yeah it's wrong.