PDA

View Full Version : Let's not overreact, Pistons were not too good tonight

Unclebuck
01-20-2004, 09:43 PM
Trash talking is fun and all, but we have to keep things in perspective.

The Pistons were not very good tonight, I know, I know the Pacers defense made the Pistons look bad, that is true, but the pistons played a bad game. They had played 6 games in 8 days, they had won 13 straight and were due to lose a game.

I don't want to take anything away from the pacers, but if you think this is the way the Psitons have been playing lately you are wrong, this was not close to the way they have been playing.

Suaveness
01-20-2004, 09:44 PM
True, but we had played 4 gmaes in 5, and we were 11/12 and were due for a loss too

PHJIndy
01-20-2004, 09:45 PM
Excellent win no matter how the Pistons played!

Hicks
01-20-2004, 09:47 PM
True, but we had played 4 gmaes in 5, and we were 11/12 and were due for a loss too

Exactly.

This is all excuses talking now. If we'd lost, it wouldn't matter to that we had played 4in5 and were due to lose as well. No excuses for them, either.

ABADays
01-20-2004, 09:50 PM
Sorry - but I think we CAN get excited about who the wins have been against lately.

Kstat
01-20-2004, 09:50 PM
I dont want to start an argument thats not going to change anyone's mind anyway, so I'm simply extending my hand and saying "good win."

3-0 vs us, nobody can say youre not the best team in the east at this point.

Suaveness
01-20-2004, 09:51 PM
I dont want to start an argument, so I'm simply extending my hand and saying "good win."

3-0 vs us, nobody can say yuore not the best team in the east at this point.

Thanks man...real classy....Even with this, detroit is miles ahead of NO and NJ...still the second best in the east

Hicks
01-20-2004, 09:51 PM
Sorry - but I think we CAN get excited about who the wins have been against lately.

:nod: No doubt. Like I said, no one cares if WE are tired, or if WE are due to lose, or if WE play bad. I refuse to extend anything different to our opponents. This was a huge win.

debohstheman
01-20-2004, 09:52 PM
detroit did not look in synch tonight....
how much of that was due to the pacers defense we will probably see in the playoffs...

that said, i think the pacers match up very well against detroit....
better than against NJ

able
01-20-2004, 09:56 PM
Hard to say UB, did they play like this because our defense was stifling and some of the best this season (according to Slick) or was it fatigue?

It becomes a habit to defend such statements as other teams using excuses as to why they lost, their topscorers as to why they had an "off night" and so on, but let's face the reality for a second or two. Either every top player in the league has a bad night of choice against the Pacers or our defense is doing some amazing stuff.

Nets second hald scoring was 29 points, Detroit score in the second half 29 points.

You think both teams decided to "take the night of" because they were playing the #1 in the conference and arguably the league?

I think our team defense is so good, especially our help side defense with Pollie coming along great in that role, that other teams and lets name the Spurs, Nets Detroit can not score as easy as they can against other teams.

"not that good" is short changing the P's defense.

Just my opinion though :P

:stupid:

Roaming Gnome
01-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Larry Brown's comments on NBA-TV were that turnovers killed them, we scored 26 or so off TO's. He gave us credit for pressing their guards, and mentioned that if you don't pick Reggie up in transition...your dead!!!

Suaveness
01-20-2004, 10:00 PM
Hard to say UB, did they play like this because our defense was stifling and some of the best this season (according to Slick) or was it fatigue?

It becomes a habit to defend such statements as other teams using excuses as to why they lost, their topscorers as to why they had an "off night" and so on, but let's face the reality for a second or two. Either every top player in the league has a bad night of choice against the Pacers or our defense is doing some amazing stuff.

Nets second hald scoring was 29 points, Detroit score in the second half 29 points.

You think both teams decided to "take the night of" because they were playing the #1 in the conference and arguably the league?

I think our team defense is so good, especially our help side defense with Pollie coming along great in that role, that other teams and lets name the Spurs, Nets Detroit can not score as easy as they can against other teams.

"not that good" is short changing the P's defense.

Just my opinion though :P

:stupid:

Great post, and exactly true. :nod:

beast23
01-20-2004, 10:35 PM
I don't believe that I agree that the Pistons played very poorly on their own merit.

Tonight, I think the Pistons were totally out-hustled. The Pacers blocked several more shots than Detroit, and the steals differential was unreal. And I'd be willing to bet that the Pistons fell well under their average rebounds on the offensive glass. Add that to the fact that the Pacers had several fewer errors and exhibited better transition defense. The Pacers gave up nothing free around the basket and tonight would rather foul than give up the point-blank shot.

All things considered, I don't know how the differential this evening was only 12 points.

I really don't know whether the Pistons came to play. All I know is that they were completely out-hustled. Whether one team or both were tired or not, the Pacers wanted this one a whole lot more.

dipperdunk
01-20-2004, 11:27 PM
Not to tick KStat off but I don't think the Pistons starting front court can score consistently enough against the Pacers and it will only become more evident in a playoff series. Even though Ben has improved offensively this season he still isn't a huge threat to score; Prince and Okur are only in their 2nd season and Prince is out classed physically by Artest and Foster made life miserable for Duncan so you know he can handle Okur. They scored a total of 11 points tonight that won't get it done if thats not bad enough the Pacers front court creates serious matchup problems at the other end of the court for the Pistons as well.

Even though Artest didn't shoot well tonight you can see that he can post up and out muscle Prince at will and like most teams they had no answer for JO. If both teams stay healthy and don't make a blockbuster trade then I don't see anyway Detroit can create enough offense to win a playoff series against the Pacers. They can steal a game or 2 with terrific play from Rip and Billups but if both teams are healthy and stay as constituted then its a bad matchup for Detroit.

Maybe in a year or 2 with more seasoning for Prince and Okur and if Milicic can become an offensive force then that would change the equation but right now with the current makeup of both teams theres just too many matchup problems for Detroit IMO.

Unclebuck
01-20-2004, 11:52 PM
Okur was horrible tonight, you could tell Brown was disgusted with him, Brown had that look on his face like whayt are you doing.

Not sure if Artest really bothered Prince but he was bad also.

Ben did not do much either.

Peck
01-21-2004, 01:13 AM
What the hell kind of world am I living in where Uncle Buck gets on here & down plays the Pacers game & I'm ready to come on here & dance?

I don't give two *****s about any excuses from the Pistons on this one. We've won 3-0 against them this season. Last night was a good game but they never had the lead.

Let me say that again, they never had the lead. The closest they got to even tying was 4 points.

A wire to wire victory against a great team does not deserve brow beating & self doubt. This victory deseres nothing less than three dancing banana's & by God I'm giving it to them.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

And because we never trailed (again we never trailed) it deserves a dancing pepper & again I will oblige.

:pepper:

And for the love of God, Reggie Miller. I don't even know what to say but I guess all I can do is offer this.

:bowdown:

No offense to Kstat & other Piston fans, you guys have a great team & I'm sure this will be a differant playoff series. But for now let's not lose focus that we are solidly the best team in the east & without Shaq around, IMO, we are the best team in the league.

Yes, I know that was a lot of hyperbole. But damn how can anybody not say that we won that game is beyond me. Jermaine controlled the lanes, the perimater players were defending beyond belief.

wintermute
01-21-2004, 02:43 AM
as a fan, i feel that i can be as upbeat as i want. this is a great win and pacers rock! :D

in what seems to be the forum tradition i offer dancing bananas/chilis galore:

:dance: :dance: :dance: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :dance: :dance: :dance:
:pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :dance: :dance: :dance: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:
:dance: :dance: :dance: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :dance: :dance: :dance:

on the other hand....

i'm just as glad though that the players are taking it in perspective. sure, this is a good win against a great rival, and you can make the case that it counts for 2 regular season games since it wins the season series as well, but at the end of the day it's just regular season. the players have the right attitude, and i'm happy they're thinking ahead to the playoffs.

Unclebuck
01-21-2004, 09:01 AM
What the hell kind of world am I living in where Uncle Buck gets on here & down plays the Pacers game & I'm ready to come on here & dance?

I don't give two *****s about any excuses from the Pistons on this one. We've won 3-0 against them this season. Last night was a good game but they never had the lead.

Let me say that again, they never had the lead. The closest they got to even tying was 4 points.

A wire to wire victory against a great team does not deserve brow beating & self doubt. This victory deseres nothing less than three dancing banana's & by God I'm giving it to them.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

And because we never trailed (again we never trailed) it deserves a dancing pepper & again I will oblige.

:pepper:

And for the love of God, Reggie Miller. I don't even know what to say but I guess all I can do is offer this.

:bowdown:

No offense to Kstat & other Piston fans, you guys have a great team & I'm sure this will be a differant playoff series. But for now let's not lose focus that we are solidly the best team in the east & without Shaq around, IMO, we are the best team in the league.

Yes, I know that was a lot of hyperbole. But damn how can anybody not say that we won that game is beyond me. Jermaine controlled the lanes, the perimater players were defending beyond belief.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I enjoyed your post. Thanks for cheering me up.

I stand by my prior post though the Pistons did not play a good game. I always try to determine how the other team plays.

Having said that, I could not be any happier and satisfied with where the pacers are right now