PDA

View Full Version : Colts equivalent to Pacers Digest

Shaggy
09-06-2005, 08:04 PM
I have been lurking on Pacers Digest from literally the beginning when Hicks rang the bell on the RATS board. I sadly spend lots of hours a week on here reading about my co-favorite team. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a similar board for the Colts that has the same level of knowledge, depth, patience and strong moderator influence (i.e. no flame wars and belittling comments) as PD. I have seen references to Colts Power (http://colts.scout.com/). Is that the Colts board I have been looking for? Anybody have experience with that board willing to comment? Are there other Colts boards out there with a similar feel as PD?

Gracious in advance!

Shaggy
09-06-2005, 08:08 PM
BTW, this is not to bash the nascent attempt of the Colts sub-board on PD to take off. I would be perfectly happy to get my Colts and Pacers coverage on one board, but it seems like the Colts sub threads do not get a lot of action. (other than btowncolt - *wink*)

Suaveness
09-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Well here is a couple. There is a colts forum on the colts.com site that is pretty informative and not too bad. Coltsfreaks is soso, a lot more unintelligent comments there. The colts.com forum though is good

forum.colts.com

Suaveness
09-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Speaking of colts, I know this is offtopic, but is there a place to listen to them online?

obnoxiousmodesty
09-06-2005, 08:22 PM
I too have never found an online Colts forum that suited me. I lurk at Indystar and Coltfreaks, but very rarely post. I wish our Colts forum could take off, but alas, it seems destined to dwell in the shadows.

SoupIsGood
09-06-2005, 08:23 PM
I wonder why this forum doesn't take off, there are many Pacer fans here who are also Colts fan.

Suaveness
09-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Most of the colts forums just aren't that great. Pacer forums are the same way, this one happens to be the best though

SoupIsGood
09-06-2005, 08:27 PM
The one problem I have with this Colts forum is that you can't even half-heartedly speak the word "bandwagon" without being stabbed by a million red hot daggers.

Lord Helmet
09-06-2005, 08:43 PM
The one problem I have with this Colts forum is that you can't even half-heartedly speak the word "bandwagon" without being stabbed by a million red hot daggers.
We ride together, baby!

Hicks
09-06-2005, 09:19 PM
This board has a chance if we get some dedicated recruiters. PD doesn't need that anymore, but in the early days I did recruit on IS, ESPN, and RealGM. Basically go to any half-way decent Colts board infested with trolls, jerks, and idiots, and invite the good people to give us a shot. If we can get more than a handful to try us out, it would probably work. I can even make a colts template for the boards; Colts banner, Colts colors. So the people that are here mainly for the Colts can use that template instead of the Pacers template or the default template.

Suaveness
09-06-2005, 09:34 PM
That would be pretty fun. I would love for this colts board to become more active.

Kegboy
09-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Well, looky here:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=www.coltsdigest.com

Registrant:
Moordata Ltd t.a. Able Towers
2 Brickett Close
Ruislip, Middlesex HA47YE
GB

Domain name: COLTSDIGEST.COM

Administrative Contact:
wisman, abel ****@able-towers.com
2 Brickett Close
GB
+44.1895635413
Technical Contact:
wisman, abel ****@able-towers.com
2 Brickett Close
GB
+44.1895635413

Registration Service Provider:
ABLE TOWERS, *****@able-towers.com
+44 1923820619
http://www.url.org
This company may be contacted for domain login/passwords,
DNS/Nameserver changes, and general domain support questions.

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
Record last updated on 12-Feb-2005.
Record expires on 27-Dec-2005.
Record created on 27-Dec-2004.

Domain servers in listed order:
UK1.ABLE-TOWERS.COM 213.52.169.150
UK2.ABLE-TOWERS.COM 213.52.169.160

Domain status: ACTIVE

I think, regardless of the fact that this is a sub-board, if we simply rebranded it, we could get a lot more attention, even from current members.

Possibly stupid question. Is there any way that, while keeping Pacers Digest the same, have an if/than structure where, if somebody went to www.coltsdigest.com, than the same board is loaded, except with a different graphics/color scheme, and maybe even the Colts board listed first choice? That would be really cool, but something tells me not possible.

cramerica
09-06-2005, 09:39 PM
www.crankycolts.com is where I post. There are alot of guys and girls that used to post at coltpower before Ed (coltpower founder) kinda cracked down on some of their comments and when he switched it to the scouts.com side, alot of people jumped ship to crankycolts. It could definitely use alot more action though. Don't be skeered. ;)

I personnally can't stand the new coltpower format so that's why I post at crankycolts.com. I used to post at RATS, but we all know how that went.

Sometimes I get more information here than I do anywhere else.

Suaveness
09-06-2005, 09:39 PM
That would be an interesting idea. Route coltsdigest.com to this colts board, which would still be part of PD...

McClintic Sphere
09-06-2005, 10:47 PM
We could make that board great as well. Just keep the same sensibilty of this board and clone Hicks. We already have and in house expert in Btown.

ABADays
09-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Surely you jest about btown. It's only a matter of time before he is fully integrated into the Washington DC mentality - thus becoming a Washington Redskin fan.

ABADays
09-06-2005, 11:03 PM
:rollout:

Since the Colts will score more points and win more games by Week 4 than the Redskins will score and win all year, I don't anticipate that being a problem.

:laugh:

McClintic Sphere
09-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Don't the Redskins serve as a sort of adjunct pit crew for Tony Stewert? I know Joe Gibbs really doesn't seem to realize it's not 1986 anymore.

Suaveness
09-06-2005, 11:23 PM
Poor poor Redskins....until Snyder goes, they go nowhere...

Frank Slade
09-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Yeah although they are alot of posters at RATS Colts forum most are unhappy with all the Boston Trolls if you really promote this site as the alternative to the Star forum I think just like Pacers Digest alot of people would eventually jump ship and find their way over here.......:)

BluBlood
09-07-2005, 10:10 AM
In the past week I have seen the Colts traffic here jump considerably. Lets keep it up. Just as long as i dont have to suffer any Manning v. Brady threads.

Kegboy
09-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Just as long as i dont have to suffer any Manning v. Brady threads.

Coming soon to Colts Digest.

On The Record: Worlds Best Dad

http://www.libertybowl.org/images/legends/manning.jpg vs. http://www.jmannix.net/Permanent/Reed.jpg

Hicks
09-07-2005, 10:42 AM
I like the template idea for this board, if it doesn't take much time.

I could play around with it when I have some free time; I'd need someone with graphics skills to make a banner that's about the size of the one at the top, and that blends with the background colors (so I need to make that part first).

I may be wrong, but I don't think I can have it apply to just this forum, so you'd have to choose between one or the other for the whole site unless I'm wrong, but it's a step in the right direction.

RWB
09-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Coltpower, Cranky Colts, Blue Crew are all really fervent fan sites. Seems before they were all interchangable somewhat with their memberships but now it appears they have all splintered into different groups (or I could be totally wrong). Alot of good folks there and maybe they are going through the same adjustments PD and RATS did.

Hicks
09-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Well, looky here:

I think, regardless of the fact that this is a sub-board, if we simply rebranded it, we could get a lot more attention, even from current members.

Possibly stupid question. Is there any way that, while keeping Pacers Digest the same, have an if/than structure where, if somebody went to www.coltsdigest.com (http://www.coltsdigest.com), than the same board is loaded, except with a different graphics/color scheme, and maybe even the Colts board listed first choice? That would be really cool, but something tells me not possible.

That is a nice idea; I don't know that it's possible, but I could at least look into it.

BluBlood
09-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Coming soon to Colts Digest.

On The Record: Worlds Best Dad

http://www.libertybowl.org/images/legends/manning.jpg vs. http://www.jmannix.net/Permanent/Reed.jpg

Very nice. :laugh:

Frank Slade
09-07-2005, 11:04 AM
That is a nice idea; I don't know that it's possible, but I could at least look into it.

Yeah like a redirect site would be nice I think Colts Digest is taken but horseshoedigest.com is available :)

Hicks
09-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Where is Colts Digest taken?

Gyron
09-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Colts Digest is owned by able according to the above info.....

RWB
09-07-2005, 11:13 AM
This board has a chance if we get some dedicated recruiters. PD doesn't need that anymore, but in the early days I did recruit on IS, ESPN, and RealGM. Basically go to any half-way decent Colts board infested with trolls, jerks, and idiots, and invite the good people to give us a shot.

Hicks, I debated whether or not to post this because it's just my opinion and I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but......

You have done a wonderful job in getting PD to be the best Pacer site on the net. In a way I think it would cheapen what you have created by going to some of these sites (Coltpower, Cranky, Crew or others) to take away their membership just to increase the numbers here. Take what I say with a grain of salt please, but it's weird when someone comes on your site to get people to check out their Pacer board I think its kinda of low.

P.S. Ignore everything I said. ;)

Frank Slade
09-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Where is Colts Digest taken?

On Register.Com it shows someone has bought the domain.. although it appears thye have not created anything.....:(

obnoxiousmodesty
09-07-2005, 11:33 AM
While I wish I could find a Colts equivalent of PD, I think it's still extremely cool to have a Colts board here for the handful of us who do love the Colts/NFL. I mean, it may not have 1,000 members itself (the Colts board), but this is a Pacers message board after all. I wouldn't expect a place that's known for great NBA discusson to be a great NFL board as well. Most of the time it's plenty to do one thing well; to try to do another often stretches your resources or ends up decreasing the quality of both.

Hicks
09-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Hicks, I debated whether or not to post this because it's just my opinion and I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but......

You have done a wonderful job in getting PD to be the best Pacer site on the net. In a way I think it would cheapen what you have created by going to some of these sites (Coltpower, Cranky, Crew or others) to take away their membership just to increase the numbers here. Take what I say with a grain of salt please, but it's weird when someone comes on your site to get people to check out their Pacer board I think its kinda of low.

P.S. Ignore everything I said. ;)

My goal isn't "just to increase the numbers here". I'm happy with PD. But it sounds like there is no "it" site for Colts fans to talk about the team, and we could provide that. We have the host, the admins, the forum, but we'd need to recruit to get the people.

Hicks
09-07-2005, 11:44 AM
On Register.Com it shows someone has bought the domain.. although it appears thye have not created anything.....:(

You really need to learn to read the threads. :) Able is the one who bought it.

Hicks
09-07-2005, 11:47 AM
A busy Colts forum would be hard for us to tackle, but I know btown would be a leader there, and we could "hire" some moderators for just the Colts board if necessary; that's very do-able.

RWB
09-07-2005, 11:50 AM
A busy Colts forum would be hard for us to tackle, but I know btown would be a leader there,

Sounds like a good start...

Shaggy
09-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Wow! Looks like my little inquiry has started the cogs turning. I am open to any of the above suggestions (i.e. a separate domain, new colors/themes, Colt moderators). Again, my goal (and I believe the goal of most who have chimed in) is to have a stable, controlled place to discuss (and sometimes debate) the Colts. Keep the good ideas flowing!

RWB
09-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Kind of like Field of Dreams stuff going on here. Maybe by next year PD's step child will be on it's way. I've got a few things I might be able to contribute on (story wise) not admin stuff next year.

Frank Slade
09-07-2005, 12:19 PM
You really need to learn to read the threads. :) Able is the one who bought it.

Lol Darn that is my ADHD for you.....I have to skim as well when I am at work..

Los Angeles
09-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Well, looky here:

Possibly stupid question. Is there any way that, while keeping Pacers Digest the same, have an if/than structure where, if somebody went to www.coltsdigest.com, than the same board is loaded, except with a different graphics/color scheme, and maybe even the Colts board listed first choice? That would be really cool, but something tells me not possible.
This isn't complicated at all, except for the color scheme/logo issue. Just ask Able to park "colts digest" at the colts forum, not the forum menu.

You're likely to see the PD logo at the top still, until someone hacks the code so that it changes depending on what forum you're in.

RWB
09-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Since this will eventually get buried I figure what the heck. So here are my final observations of camp.

Manning maybe the General for the offense, but Jeff Saturday is the grunt who does all the dirty work. As I posted before, Saturday would always stop and sign autographs for fans and whoever was with him whether they wanted to or not. Let's just say while his co-horts would try to dodge people and tell Mr. Saturday "oh, come on Jeff not today". He would say " Pull the cart over, stop your whinning, we're all signing today". They do what Saturday says. Not only does he have Manning's back, but he has the fan's back as well. Spends most of his free time buying CDs and should be nominated for Father of the Year probably.

Hey, once again Marvin Harrison was the 1st person to leave the campus upon completion of the camp. Everyone else had their vehicle parked in a lot, but Marvin actually had his parked in a roadway before practice so when he finished with his two minute shower he could be gone.

Got the impression Edge knew this was the last time he'll see Terre Haute. Snuck away in a silver Beemer with a casual wave.

Here's a blast from the past....Didn't see it this year, but James Mungro did this often last year. While the guy is stocky he's still short and most people do not recognize him. He would sneak into groups of fans after practices and pretend to be waiting to get autographs. Of course this was only partially his mission which was to have fun and more importantly meet women.

Speaking of women, next camp or game you attend watch for the hand signs or the dropping off or picking up telephone number trick from the player's helmet. Shhh, a certain player that kicks the ball has perfected this into a fine art.

Couldn't figure this one out. Saw this guy receive a request only one time for an autograph from fans and was very humble about it. Coach Pete Metzelars, who played 10 years in the NFL and one of the handfull of staff/players who have actually been to the Super Bowl.

Finally, spent 4 weeks as Manning's bodyguard. It was interesting. :laugh:

Frank Slade
09-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Yeah truth be told Saturday is really one of the most valuable players on the entire team. Class Act....I hope we ensure to keep him around and let him retire a COLT

Hicks
09-07-2005, 01:39 PM
This isn't complicated at all, except for the color scheme/logo issue. Just ask Able to park "colts digest" at the colts forum, not the forum menu.

You're likely to see the PD logo at the top still, until someone hacks the code so that it changes depending on what forum you're in.

Good point; that just leaves seeing if we could make the Colts board always use the Colts template.

Suaveness
09-07-2005, 02:11 PM
A busy Colts forum would be hard for us to tackle, but I know btown would be a leader there, and we could "hire" some moderators for just the Colts board if necessary; that's very do-able.

I would certainly love to moderate that if you needed someone. I mean, I already tell btown what to do every night....

Frank Slade
09-07-2005, 02:22 PM
I would certainly love to moderate that if you needed someone. I mean, I already tell btown what to do every night....

:confused:

Natston
09-07-2005, 02:22 PM
I mean, I already tell btown what to do every night....

That's not really a ringing endorsement... :uhoh:

*Throws a hat and a book of cliches into the ring*

Suaveness
09-07-2005, 02:28 PM
That's not really a ringing endorsement... :uhoh:

*Throws a hat and a book of cliches into the ring*

But you see, I don't tell him directly. I pass it through my secretary....

http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/30/denn8hy.jpg

RWB
09-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Funniest site at camp this year. An assistant coach for one of the local high schools (the Terre Haute North Patriots) had a VIP pass to get onto the field and locker room area. This guy was wearing his TH North Patriot hat which has features almost a perfect match for a New England Patriots hat. Anyway he's standing near the players entrance as the guys are coming out for practice. A couple of lineman walk past as the guy enters the side door and this is what happened. "Man, did you see that? Yeah, can you believe that *****? I can't believe that guy could be that much of an a$$hole." ME "Guys before you decide to kill him just wanted to let you know he was wearing a hat for one of the local high schools. It blows but their emblem is a Patriot". Lineman "Ok, that's cool, good, now I don't have to get in the guys' @ss".

Hicks
09-07-2005, 02:37 PM
"Get in the guy's ***"? Sounds um, well, not how a football player probably wants to sound...

RWB
09-07-2005, 02:42 PM
"Get in the guy's ***"? Sounds um, well, not how a football player probably wants to sound...

You are a sick man Hicks. :devil:

I was glad at least they had the passion that something like that would tick them off.

rel
09-07-2005, 03:49 PM
I could play around with it when I have some free time; I'd need someone with graphics skills to make a banner that's about the size of the one at the top, and that blends with the background colors (so I need to make that part first).

I may be wrong, but I don't think I can have it apply to just this forum, so you'd have to choose between one or the other for the whole site unless I'm wrong, but it's a step in the right direction.

im willing to try to make a banner

ChicagoJ
09-07-2005, 04:23 PM
DRATS!!!!!

I should've got on here and asked for Steelers' Digest first.

:devil:

ChicagoJ
09-07-2005, 04:30 PM
I don't think we have enough cyber-steroids to make it a consistent winner........

:shrug:

Ouch.... back to my corner...

ChicagoJ
09-07-2005, 04:33 PM
As long as the Patriots aren't there, save a spot for me.

Well, we do have the 'common enemy' - they've been a thorn in our side for even longer. :banghead:

Hicks
09-07-2005, 04:34 PM
It needs a new banner, and new buttons on the main page (both are the PD ones right now), but I have a Colts template up.

ChicagoJ
09-07-2005, 04:47 PM
You're on a roll. :laugh:

Los Angeles
09-07-2005, 06:06 PM
I spent just a few minutes and came up with this for a banner:

http://www.twospace.com/pacers/coltsdigest-banner.jpg

nothing fancy, but gets the job done.

Hicks
09-07-2005, 06:40 PM
I spent just a few minutes and came up with this for a banner:

http://www.twospace.com/pacers/coltsdigest-banner.jpg

nothing fancy, but gets the job done.

That looks great with the template!

Los Angeles
09-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Awesome. Use it as long as you like. Now I guess we just have to find out how to make this the default if someone goes to "coltsdigest.com".

:chin:

Hicks
09-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Awesome. Use it as long as you like. Now I guess we just have to find out how to make this the default if someone goes to "coltsdigest.com".

:chin:

My thought is, if I can find a setting (unlikely, but I'll look) or get a mod (more likely) that could make a single board use a different default template, then all we'd have to do is make coltsdigest.com link directly to the Colts board instead of the main index.

Suaveness
09-07-2005, 07:09 PM
You should be able to route the coltsdigest.com directly to the colts board

Hicks
09-07-2005, 07:28 PM
You should be able to route the coltsdigest.com directly to the colts board

Yes that part's easy; I just have to find out how to make the Colts board default to the Colts template.

Btw; you guys can check that out now by looking at the bottom left of the page and selecting it from the drop-down menu. What do you think? I think with the new banner it looks great.

Hicks
09-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Nice, I like it. I'm keeping that as my format.

Coming soon there will be a Pacers version of this new colts template.

Hicks
09-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Booya! There IS a setting for it. Now the Colts board always looks like the Colts template, even when the rest is set to something else.

Hicks
09-07-2005, 08:14 PM
A Pacers varient to the Colts template is now up! Check it out.

Los Angeles
09-07-2005, 08:19 PM
If you choose the Pacers :: Colts template, the logo automatically changes to colts when you are on the colts forum and changes back to Pacers when you leave. Everything else is the same. I love that. :cool:

burnzone
09-07-2005, 09:13 PM
This looks great, feels a lot more like the horseshoe on this board, nice work guys.

obnoxiousmodesty
09-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Sweet!

You guys are all geniuses. To each of you, I give two cookies of your choosing.

Frank Slade
09-07-2005, 09:38 PM
This is awesome you have outdone yourself !!!

:cry: I think I am going to cry....

rel
09-07-2005, 09:50 PM
...and this is all thanks to shaggy...

a short question lead into a revolution for PD

HOORAH!

Shade
09-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Very nice. :cool:

Now...get recruitin'! :mad:

cramerica
09-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Very nice. I like it.

Believe_in_blue
09-07-2005, 10:50 PM
:brilliant

Great JOB!!

Believe_in_blue
09-07-2005, 11:01 PM
^ lets keep it that way people

Southside_Pacer
09-07-2005, 11:21 PM
Pacers AND Colts Digest just keeps improving each and every day. :)

Great work guys for making this site THE place for Indianapolis sports talk.

Suaveness
09-08-2005, 01:43 AM
This is absolutely terrific. GREAT JOB.

Los Angeles
09-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Is coltsdigest.com parked here yet? If I use that address, I still get bupkus.

Hicks
09-08-2005, 11:45 AM
Is coltsdigest.com parked here yet? If I use that address, I still get bupkus.

I think you answered your own question.;)

Shaggy
09-08-2005, 12:11 PM
All I can say is "Wow!". And "Thanks!". The effort in the last few days to take a request and make it come alive is exact why I LOVE this board. (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I am so impressed with this new format (and increase in traffic) that I will cease my search for an alternative Colts board. Long live Colts Digest!

Los Angeles
09-08-2005, 12:21 PM
I think you answered your own question.;)
Gotcha - my access has been spotty today - so I didn't know if it was my connection or not. Thanks!