PDA

View Full Version : Sources saying Cory Simon is a Colt

cramerica
08-31-2005, 10:40 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

SIMON SAYS "YES" TO COLTS?

A league source has tipped us off to a rumor making the rounds regarding the destination of former Eagles defensive tackle Corey Simon.

Per the source, there's talk that the Colts have reached an agreement with Simon on a deal carrying a $13 million signing bonus.

As another league source explained, the bonus money (if the rumors are true) most likely includes a sizable 2006 option bonus, given the team's current cap situation.

The move would make sense, since the Colts' current depth chart at the D-tackle position features only two veterans -- 2002 second-round pick Larry Tripplett and 2003 free-agent pickup Montae Reagor, who hasn't played at all in the preseason due to a groin injury. The rest are first-year player Jason Stewart, 2005 third-round pick Vincent Burns, 2005 undrafted free agent Darrell Reid, journeyman Josh Mallard, and 2005 undrafted free agent Blake Lobel.

Several teams have expressed interest in Simon, and several others were believed to be interested in acquiring him. Since he's represented by Roosevelt Barnes and Eugene Parker, we can't help but wonder what one of their other clients, Steelers receiver Hines Ward, thinks about the speed with which Simon got paid (if, again, the rumors are true). Ward is still waiting for Parker and/or Barnes to wrap up negotiations on a long-term deal that supposedly was imminent when Ward ended a holdout more than two weeks ago.

Pacers#1Fan
08-31-2005, 10:48 PM
That sounds good.

Pacers#1Fan
08-31-2005, 10:57 PM
Poor Edge.:console:

Frank Slade
08-31-2005, 11:01 PM
If this is true I applaud the Colts Efforts. As They Realize they have to committ some finances to the Defense. Good move on thier Part !! Great Pickup!

birdman
08-31-2005, 11:02 PM
Sweet!

Pacers#1Fan
08-31-2005, 11:12 PM
It really is nice to see the Colts strengthening the defense.

rel
08-31-2005, 11:23 PM
Sweet!

man...you took the words right out of my mouth...

o well

SWWWWEEEEEETTTTT!!!!

Suaveness
08-31-2005, 11:27 PM
I hope we can still resign some FAs the next couple years. This is nice, but losing Wayne or Freeney b/c of this would **** me off.

dynamis22
08-31-2005, 11:32 PM
How accurate is this website.

Does anybody Know?

Getting Simon this late in the game would be amazing.

Lord Helmet
08-31-2005, 11:39 PM
I hope we can still resign some FAs the next couple years. This is nice, but losing Wayne or Freeney b/c of this would **** me off.
Freeney isn't going anywhere.

pizza guy
08-31-2005, 11:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2148463

There remain a few incidental elements to be addressed, but ESPN.com confirmed Wednesday night through sources close to the negotiations that the Indianapolis Colts have reached agreement with defensive tackle Corey Simon on virtually all the major financial components of a contract, and that an agreement could be officially struck as early as Thursday morning.

In fact, two Colts players told ESPN.com on Wednesday night that they were apprised by a member of the coaching staff earlier in the evening that the acquisition of Simon is now imminent.

dynamis22
08-31-2005, 11:45 PM
It's official.

It's on ESPN.

Lennie P. just reported it.

Great find Cramerica!!

Frank Slade
09-01-2005, 12:00 AM
How accurate is this website.

Does anybody Know?

Getting Simon this late in the game would be amazing.[

Yeah I just saw it on ESPN just now they said it right before Baseball Tonight came on

pacercoltfan
09-01-2005, 12:03 AM
Let's all do our "HAPPY DANCE"!:woohoo: :D

Does mean that we would most likely lose Edge after this season?:cry:

Frank Slade
09-01-2005, 12:05 AM
NFL lives starts in about 20 minutes I bet they will have some coverage on it

Suaveness
09-01-2005, 12:37 AM
This means Edge and Wayne are likely gone after this year.

But it's nice to load up for this year.

Edge I don't mind, but losing Wayne woudl kill our offense. He is just as important as Harrison

dagrubbs
09-01-2005, 12:56 AM
amazing pick up for the colts....very solid....EDGE CANT BE PISSED EVEN THOUGH WE SIGNED COREY SIMON I GUARANTEE HE IS MAKING MUCH LESS THAN WHAT EDGE WAS ASKING

Suaveness
09-01-2005, 12:59 AM
Well I'm pissed. If this means losing Freeney and Wayne, I will be livid. Without Wayne, our offense is not that special. And without Freeney, our line sucks. Dammit Colts, what are you thinking??!?!

Kraft
09-01-2005, 01:58 AM
Not to overstate this or sound like I'm proclaiming greatness, but this is a Super Bowl-run type of move. Could it cost them in the future? Of course. Edge is gone. Gone, gone gone. But you never know about Wayne.

Four years of AFC title games or a better run at just one Super Bowl? Considering Marvin's age and that James was likely gone next year anyway ... roll the dice. Make a play. Stop being second best.

Shack80
09-01-2005, 02:29 AM
This is for sure a Super Bowl move. The colts are at a peak with talent right now and the CAP is gonna kick there *** soon with out some very fancy manuvering. Edge gone next year has been a foregone conclusion when he was franchised. He is a great back, but it is to risky to sign a back at his age to a long term big money contract. I agree this probably will cost us Wayne, so be it we had to make a move like this. Wayne is solid, but not great. He can be replaced. Freeny I hope we can sign, with the front 4 we will have this year QB's should be falling like rain. Hopefully Simon will help plug that huge hole up the middle of our D, hell my fat *** could run on them. I think this is a great move for this season, it will cost us in the future, but that is the NFL of today.

Suaveness
09-01-2005, 09:08 AM
So they say now, but who knows what happens in 2 years. But losing Wayne means our offense does not stay as the great one it is. Wayne is as important as Harrison and Stokley, because he is the biggest target Manning has.

Sigh, oh well. Hopefully this move this year will at least get us a super bowl. And hopefully we can get Wayne to re-sign.

Pacersfan46
09-01-2005, 09:25 AM
So they say now, but who knows what happens in 2 years. But losing Wayne means our offense does not stay as the great one it is. Wayne is as important as Harrison and Stokley, because he is the biggest target Manning has.

Sigh, oh well. Hopefully this move this year will at least get us a super bowl. And hopefully we can get Wayne to re-sign.

I don't get this whole "omg our offense will be bad without Wayne" attitude some people have.

Our offense was just fine before he emerged. I would trade anyone on our offense minus Peyton for a guy who is an All-Pro player that helps against the run. If it costs us Wayne, so be it.

With Marlin Jackson looking like the real deal at CB so far, and Doss, and Sanders getting better .... adding a run stopping DT in the middle is an absolute steal. Especially for nothing but cap space at the moment, and only the POSSIBILITY of losing a WR at the end of the year.

At this point taking a hit on offense for an All-Pro defender is an easy thing to take, if you've been watching the Colts as much as I have the last few years. Yikes.

scar
09-01-2005, 09:40 AM
I'm confident that as long as Peyton Manning is the QB, our offense will not suck. And I think Wayne and James would be bad losses, but not ones that we couldn't overcome.

RWB
09-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Edge I don't mind, but losing Wayne woudl kill our offense. He is just as important as Harrison

Suave, you will get your request. I'm telling you Polian said he WILL sign Wayne at all costs and yes I heard this from Polian. Edge on the other hand is a different story.

Ralph Snart
09-01-2005, 10:06 AM
I'm definitely amped for the season now.

As for losing Wayne, Edge or both, I'm rather indifferent. We've been offensive heavy for years, we need more balance if we expect to win a championship. This is a strike in the direction of balance. Besides, we currently have three good receivers, and one good tight end. Even if we lost Wayne, we still have Harrison, Stokley, and Clark (and even Walters).

Good move Colts!

Frank Slade
09-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Not to overstate this or sound like I'm proclaiming greatness, but this is a Super Bowl-run type of move. Could it cost them in the future? Of course. Edge is gone. Gone, gone gone. But you never know about Wayne.

Four years of AFC title games or a better run at just one Super Bowl? Considering Marvin's age and that James was likely gone next year anyway ... roll the dice. Make a play. Stop being second best.

I could not agree more. Colts saw thier window of opportunity as it will not stay open forever. Might as well go for broke now. with no regrets this season.

Very good move !

Suaveness
09-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Suave, you will get your request. I'm telling you Polian said he WILL sign Wayne at all costs and yes I heard this from Polian. Edge on the other hand is a different story.

Here this from you puts me a little more at ease.

This offense didn't become great until Reggie started becoming better. Yeah, sure it would be still good without him, but Reggie makes it great. Some may not remember that he had more yardage than Harrison last year.Improving our defense is good, but Reggie is so important. I mean, our offense didn't do that great in the playoffs against NE, did it?

Well whatever, I'm going to stop worrying about it for now and look forward to a SB run. And hopefully we re-sign Wayne as Polian says, and Freeney the year after.

RWb, do you know anything about the Simon contract? Is it mostly bonus heavy?

Suaveness
09-01-2005, 12:02 PM
All right, I'll try one more time.

Freeny. Isn't. Going. Anywhere.

Bill Polian, since he entered the league, has held pass-rushers in a regard much higher than any other type of player. They will franchise him until the day he dies if that's what it takes.

He will never play for another team, until at least his career is at the very end and he can't get remotely close to the quarterback anymore.

As for Wayne, I feel the same way about him you do. And chances are, we'll re-sign him (if RWB says it, then it must be true).

Listen, I want to believe we can re-sign both, and I think we will. But how in the world are we going to get that money? Signing Simon surprised me because I didn't think we had money to give to FAs. But when the time comes for the other two, I'm curious on how we plan on paying for them.

We could release Josh williams sometime, he's effectively useless.

Suaveness
09-01-2005, 12:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2148712

5 year deal for 30 million or so, plus 13 in bonuses

Frank Slade
09-01-2005, 01:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2148712

5 year deal for 30 million or so, plus 13 in bonuses

Which certainly is nice sized but not a backbreaking contract by NFL standards.
Based on what he could provide I think this makes it even more of a great signing! I hope he can get in to game shape ASAP

Suaveness
09-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Apparently he has been in game shape, and he said when he was released that he'd be ready to play come opening day for whatever team.

Frank Slade
09-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Apparently he has been in game shape, and he said when he was released that he'd be ready to play come opening day for whatever team.

:buddies: .. Alrighty then... Bring on the Ravens !

Frank Slade
09-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Irsay has plenty of money, and the team is in fine cap shape.

Good thing we didn't waste it all on some end-of-the-line, mid-priced FA's.

Simon was by far the best player to hit the FA agent market. And we happened to be ready at the right time.

Dare I say? it was almost like fate, that he dropped in their laps like he did.
I loved how they snatched him up before a bidding war could even get started :devil:

RWB
09-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Irsay has plenty of money, and the team is in fine cap shape.

Good thing we didn't waste it all on some end-of-the-line, mid-priced FA's.

Simon was by far the best player to hit the FA agent market. And we happened to be ready at the right time.

Exactly BT, and isn't it amazing things start coming together after the stadium deal is lined out. Polian did have an interest in signing Edge longer, but said "until the stadium issue is taken care of no long term contract" and this was meant about Edge and training camp in Terre Haute. People don't realize how CLOSE the Colts were to going out west. Colts signed a 3 year deal for camp and guess when the lease would have been up at the dome? Not pure coincidence my friends.

Too bad for Edge, the stadium deal got done but Rhoades has really moved up in the eyes of those who control the purse strings and is a personal favorite of one BP. Apparently being a good citizen, promoting the team, and smoozing with the public has it's rewards.

Nice of the Colts to put on a supportive and happy face for Pope and Doss. Going to be some blood letting I suspect with both. Major embarassment for Colts and they had team meetings in particular about this kind of thing during the summer.

Back to the original point of this thread. As already pointed out by everyone there is no doubt this signing is all about Super Bowl or bust THIS YEAR.

obnoxiousmodesty
09-01-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm giddy. GIDDY I SAY.

This is a championship-type move. Good work Colts!

RWB
09-01-2005, 03:28 PM
Yes Mr. Modesty this is the year and the team looked like crap during the pre-season and it doesn't mean a thing. What's even better is Manning is giddy as hell about the defense. Asked him if the offense was a little behind because of the many interceptions being thrown during camp and he replied "no, secondary has improved that much".

dipperdunk
09-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Simon is a good pickup by the Colts. He isn't a superstar but he is a top 5 tackle in the league. He was the Eagles top pick a couple of seasons ago and had a couple of terrific seasons.

He has had some issues with his weight over the years; last year in midseason he lossed his starting job because he was out of shape. But by the end of the year he was back in shape starting and playing at a very high level again. He is a top 5 tackle in the league that is why the Eagles slapped the franchise tag on him. He isn't just a big guy that plugs the middle stopping the rush the good thing about him is that he also pressures the quarterback and makes plays in the other teams backfield.

Believe_in_blue
09-01-2005, 04:38 PM
As much as I hate the cliche 'SuperBowl or bust' it's true for this team. We won't be able to resign everybody at the end of the season so I don't see how we can be this good next season.

Diamond Dave
09-01-2005, 04:58 PM
I can't believe I just now saw this.

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I'm talking about. This was a great move!!!

Frank Slade
09-01-2005, 07:15 PM
I can't believe I just now saw this.

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I'm talking about. This was a great move!!!

Not to often are you able to sign this big of a FA to fill an exact need right before the season starts. This is HUGE

Simon's agent was on 1260 earlier today. He indicated they had no Idea Indy was interested but Polian Called them as soon as the tag was lifted when he became a FA. One of Corey's stipulations was he wanted to play for a Contender so it was a perfect match.

Suaveness
09-01-2005, 07:28 PM
The great thing about Simon signing here isn't the defensive line, it is the secondary that improves that much more. With Freeney and Mathis on the outside pass rushing, and Simon and probably Tripplett by the looks of it inside, it'll give enough time (hopefully) to allow our dim LBs to either go to the runner or get out into coverage. Our run stopping improves that way.

Not to mention that our pass rush is going to be SUPERB. And this means the secondary is going to be in prime position to do some damage.

I'm getting way too giddy about this

Suaveness
09-01-2005, 07:36 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2148843&name=clayton&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d2148843%26name%3dclay ton

Someone want to post this John CLayton weblog about how Simon will be better in Philly? Thanks!

SoupIsGood
09-01-2005, 07:57 PM
YESSSSS!!!!!! **** YES!!!!

I really did not think this would happen. After last season's debacle, I decided I could not do anything more than casually root for the Colts until they showed some serious commitment to defense. Signing just a few decent, tough-nosed guys would have been nice, never did I think this could happen.

I'M BACK ON THE BANDWAGON! GO PEYTON, GO COLTS, GO POOOONIIES!

Lord Helmet
09-01-2005, 08:10 PM

I really did not think this would happen. After last season's debacle, I decided I could not do anything more than casually root for the Colts until they showed some serious commitment to defense. Signing just a few decent, tough-nosed guys would have been nice, never did I think this could happen.

:shakehead

This does look like a sweet season, doesn't it?

:D

cramerica
09-01-2005, 08:19 PM
I don't know if you need to register, but here is some audio of TD talking about Simon.

Courtesy of www.crankycolts.com

http://www.crankycolts.com/images/DungySimon.mp3

Frank Slade
09-01-2005, 08:28 PM
I don't know if you need to register, but here is some audio of TD talking about Simon.

Courtesy of www.crankycolts.com (http://www.crankycolts.com/)

http://www.crankycolts.com/images/DungySimon.mp3

Thanks. great link

Diamond Dave
09-01-2005, 09:06 PM

Sums up my thoughts.

Back on the Bandwagon!!!!!!

Suaveness
09-01-2005, 10:00 PM
I can't believe you people were even off the bandwagon....

Frank Slade
09-01-2005, 10:16 PM

lol That is what I was thinking... I have been a fan since the Colts and the Bunguls were spoken in the same sentence as the laughing stocks of the league...But glad to have any and everybody that wants to hop on for the ride all the way to Detroit and the Superbowl :buddies:

some interesting links on the subject
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=3012
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8793140
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=3015

SoupIsGood
09-01-2005, 10:56 PM

Well, I was still going to root for them and watch every game. The difference now is that I have championship hopes again, and more importantly, a bit more respect for how they run the team. I really thought they didn't care about defense.

cramerica
09-01-2005, 10:57 PM
I have been saying this for awhile. I don't understand this "On the bandwagon...Off the bandwagon" crap. Either your a fan or you're not.

Can somebody explain this without the "The Colts have broken my heart" nonsense?

Pacers#1Fan
09-01-2005, 11:18 PM
"super-duper" thats great news.

Believe_in_blue
09-01-2005, 11:36 PM
I have been saying this for awhile. I don't understand this "On the bandwagon...Off the bandwagon" crap. Either your a fan or you're not.

Can somebody explain this without the "The Colts have broken my heart" nonsense?

I agree. I'm glad to see that many of you guys are excited about the team, but you shouldn't be on any bandwagon. Like cramerica said "Either your a fan or you're not". Thats all there is to it. I've had my heart broken by both the Colts and the Pacers many times and I have always came back the next season as excited as ever, no matter how good or bad the team was supposed to be. With all that nonsense aside it's time to focus on the team. It's going to be a great year to be an Indiana sports fan and no matter what bandwagon you've been on before let's just enjoy this year.:goponies::gopacers:

cramerica
09-01-2005, 11:40 PM
I agree. I'm glad to see that many of you guys are excited about the team, but you shouldn't be on any bandwagon. Like cramerica said "Either your a fan or you're not". Thats all there is to it. I've had my heart broken by both the Colts and the Pacers many times and I have always came back the next season as excited as ever, no matter how good or bad the team was supposed to be. With all that nonsense aside it's time to focus on the team. It's going to be a great year to be an Indiana sports fan and no matter what bandwagon you've been on before let's just enjoy this year.:goponies::gopacers:
The last sentence in this post is perfect.

SoupIsGood
09-01-2005, 11:41 PM
So you can't fluctuate between a somewhat casual fan and a diehard? I disagree. My interest in football overall has waned lately...

cramerica
09-01-2005, 11:46 PM
So you can't fluctuate between a somewhat casual fan and a diehard? I disagree. My interest in football overall has waned lately...
I guess you can, but I just don't understand it. It's not my way of thinking. I'm a diehard Colts and Pacers fan and I come back every year with the same hopes and dreams.

I could never be a casual fan of the Pacers or the Colts. They're #4 and #5 in my life (behind my wife and two pets).

Believe_in_blue
09-01-2005, 11:55 PM
My way of thinking is that some people are going to cheer for the Colts this season while their good, then turn their back on them when they struggle to cheer for a different team. I guess cheering for a different team is worse than just being a casual fan and not rooting as hard for the Colts, but still being a casual Colts fan. Maybe I was too quick to judge some of you who said you were off the Colts bandwagon but our now back on. If you were just causal fans before then that doesn't bother me. It's those who switching back and forth and jumping on different teams bandwagons that does bother me.

SoupIsGood
09-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Don't get me wrong, either way, I was going to watch the colts, root for the Colts, and have a hell of a time doing it. The main difference for me is that I will be expecting some postseason success again... although I'm still not sure Dungy is the right fit for us.

cramerica
09-02-2005, 12:17 AM
Do you guys think this year may be a make it or break it year for Dungy?

Believe_in_blue
09-02-2005, 08:35 AM
Do you guys think this year may be a make it or break it year for Dungy?

Thats a good question. 34 wins and 3 playoff wins in 3 seasons is a great accomplishment as a coach in the NFL. The thing that Tony has in common with Peyton is that neither have been able to win the 'big game', with or without each other. Maybe this is the year that we break the trend.

Lord Helmet
09-02-2005, 08:44 AM

When I made that argument, I never meant I was going to be a casual fan and stop being a diehard.

I couldn't do that.......

That's why I don't know how people can be on the bandwagon or off it. I agree, you're either a fan or not.

Lord Helmet
09-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Well, I was still going to root for them and watch every game. The difference now is that I have championship hopes again, and more importantly, a bit more respect for how they run the team. I really thought they didn't care about defense.
If they didn't care about defense, we wouldn't have Freeney.

The main reason people say that is because we alway get most of our defense through the draft, so most of the time its not always ready.

Polian and Dungy want a small/quick/athletic defense, although not many agree with that concept for a defense.

And, I have to agree I have sometimes wondered about the Colts commitement to their defense. But, never question if they care about it or not.