PDA

View Full Version : Want to try the Opera Browser for free? (Today only!)

Anthem
08-30-2005, 12:44 AM
"For one day only, you can get an ad-free version of Opera. Simply e-mail registerme@opera.com (http://www.slickdeals.net/?pno=6443&lno=2&afsrc=1) to obtain a registration code. This offer is valid from 12 a.m. Tuesday, August 30 to 12 a.m. Wednesday, August 31 2005 (PDT)."

Zesty
08-30-2005, 11:36 AM
Sweet, I'll check it out.

EDIT: No luck with sending the email. This works much better (http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml).

SycamoreKen
08-30-2005, 07:42 PM
I got one. I'm interested in seeing how it works.

(You can tell how ADD I am. I came on here to gripe about gas prices and end up downloading a browser!:sigh: )

Dr Huxtable
08-30-2005, 07:45 PM
I *love* Opera.

Anthem
08-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Someone explain to me the advantages of this over Firefox.

I haven't used it yet.

Supposedly it's the fastest browser on the market. It also has several features built in that Firefox only supports through plugins. Mouse gestures, for instance, are a big thing for some people. I've tried them and they didn't do much for me, but some people go for that sort of thing.

It's also partially that some people think the more something costs, the more it must be worth. So there are people that will try Opera but not Firefox.

I'm currently happy with Firefox but I thought I'd pass it on. I guess it's more for the few people in the world still using Explorer.

Suaveness
08-30-2005, 09:59 PM
I still use explorer, and I love it.

Hicks
08-30-2005, 10:00 PM

You should at least give it a go with a browser that supports tabbed browsing; that was revolutionary for me.

Zesty
08-30-2005, 10:09 PM
You should at least give it a go with a browser that supports tabbed browsing; that was revolutionary for me.

Ditto.

Suaveness
08-30-2005, 10:12 PM
You deserve to be publicly flogged for that.

Stop it. Stop it. Ok? Alright.

Suaveness
08-30-2005, 10:13 PM

I never liked it. Can you transfer between tabs with a keyboard?

Oh, so Opera not usually free? What does this code differ from downloading it normally?

What exactly does registering do?

I'll try it, but if firefox is better I might just use that.

efx
08-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Yes, ctrl-tab.

Plus with firefox you get a browser that is tons safer than IE with proper support for webstandards. There simply isn't a reason to use IE anymore.

Suaveness
08-30-2005, 10:32 PM
So do I do firefox or opera?

"Oh, so Opera not usually free? What does this code differ from downloading it normally?

What exactly does registering do?"

Suaveness
08-30-2005, 11:38 PM
http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html#winspeed

An interesting site

And I just ran Spy bot and Ad aware, no problems at all. My IE runs smooth

fooddaman
08-31-2005, 07:04 AM
People still pay for browsers??:laugh:

Hicks
08-31-2005, 09:36 AM
Firefox is great; especially with all the extensions out there.

fooddaman
08-31-2005, 10:11 PM
Firefox is great; especially with all the extensions out there.

Agreed. I only use IE when something isn't supported in FireFox. The only thing I have found that doesn't work in FireFox is Yahoo music. If that was supported, I could remove IE from my home pc.

Now at work is a different story. Due to our security application that monitors Internet traffic, we have to use IE... oh the irony:laugh:

Anthem
09-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Agreed. I only use IE when something isn't supported in FireFox. The only thing I have found that doesn't work in FireFox is Yahoo music. If that was supported, I could remove IE from my home pc.

No, you couldn't. Explorer is welded into Windows. Uninstalling it means you can't navigate your operating system.

Not to be dogmatic (two threads in 3 days), but this is another reason I like Linux. It's all modular, so I can totally remove a component if I don't like it.

Suaveness
09-01-2005, 12:46 AM
So do I do firefox or opera?

"Oh, so Opera not usually free? What does this code differ from downloading it normally?

What exactly does registering do?"

Bump

SycamoreKen
09-01-2005, 09:45 PM
I really like the Opera browser. Pages load faster and the Waht If Sports sight works better. So far its worked every where I've tried it.

Anthem
09-04-2005, 10:54 PM

There's a comic here you should see. I'd post it in the forum, except there's a naughty word.

http://www.little-gamers.com/index.php?comicID=1172

skyfire
09-04-2005, 11:39 PM
I've been using Opera for years now, shame I missed out on this….

Opera was first to the market with tabbed browsing and mouse gestures, both of which I couldn't live without today. Firefox is a capable replacement, but I still prefer Opera for speed and UI customization.

Free Opera comes with ads, I presume they were giving away registration codes which removed those ads.

skyfire
09-05-2005, 12:49 AM
Customizable mouse interactions which call browser commands.

Eg.

Hold right mouse button, move mouse to the left, results in browser back.
Hold right mouse button, move mouse to the right, results in browser forward.
Hold right mouse button, move mouse down, results in close tab.
Hold right mouse button, move mouse up, results in new tab.

Much faster to use than pressing the buttons at the top left of the browser.
More flexible than the extra buttons on 5 button mice.

skyfire
09-05-2005, 01:46 AM
erm, i'm sure its in the options menu somewhere. I think you can first enable it by performing a mouse gesture and a window will popup and ask you if you want to enable them.

Suaveness
09-05-2005, 09:23 AM
So in your guys' expert opinions, is Firefox or Opera better?

Hicks
09-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Thank you for finally giving me a clear description of mouse gestures. Now I will go get the Firefox extension that does the same thing for free. :D

skyfire
09-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Opera -
Pros : Faster rendering, more responsive menus, more customizable and informative user interface.
Cons : Not free / banner ads, propriety code, some websites don’t load normally.

*Opera also includes mail/rss and other stuff which is in Mozilla but not Firefox.

Firefox -
Pros : Free, extensible, open source
Cons : Plugins can conflict with each other

I prefer Opera, but Firefox is a capable replacement.

skyfire
09-20-2005, 07:56 PM
After their day of giving away free licenses to test the water, Opera have decided to drop the banner ads and release their product for free.

yay (http://opera.com/download/)

Suaveness
09-20-2005, 08:06 PM
Well I dnloaded it with the registration. Fun, eh